Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

E-waste

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
E-waste
on: April 19, 2014, 11:54:45 AM
So in light of some things that have happened in my life recently I've been trying to ween down the amount of PC parts and junk I have accumulated. Most of it is perfectly functional, but not the latest and greatest or in some cases like IDE harddisks none of our newer PCs have any IDE controllers.

On one hand it pains me to throw away (even to the electronics recycling point) perfectly good hardware, but on the other I realize that it's cheap and easy to replace stuff like ram and harddrives with new faster, bigger, better etc.

I have a number of motherboards, cpus, ram, harddisks, sound cards, graphics cards, cdroms/DVDRom etc accumulated.

Ideally I'd like to prune that selection down, and that includes the hardware in my machines... I'd rather have a single 2TB drive than 3-4 500gb ones as this will also affect our power bill a bit.

So should I toss to e-waste, go through a painstaking inventory and start listing on fleabay etc to make a couple euros (In most cases the hardware is not worth the shipping costs imho.) or just donate to some charity/PC recycler?
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: E-waste
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 01:12:24 PM
I have in the past donated to charity pc builders. There is a local outfit that donates older built PCs to disadvantaged families who couldn't afford one.  :tu:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 01:24:51 PM
I´d say donate, too.
We have a PC shop around teh corner which is rund as a social project for ex-addicts and juvenile convicts.
I bought my last PC there and did donate some parts.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 01:31:21 PM
I don't know what interest there might be auctioning it off. But if you donate to charity, someone without a PC can now have one. :tu:

SAW

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 03:26:48 PM
If you're too lazy to search through it all, you can always try and sell it as a "lot"? General description like you gave here, maybe a rough list, saves a lot on shipping, and maybe you'll make a few euro's for not that much work.

Though, of course, if you can find a place to donate it too, I'd say go for it  :tu: :tu:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 08:18:28 PM
I have also gone the donation route in the past... mostly schools in the area. I couldn't believe how excited the school IT guy was to get my desktop that I thought was a slow dinosaur... turns out it was far better than what he currently had for the students.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 08:39:09 PM
I have quite a span of bits... I'm pretty sure there's a couple slot 1 (like a cartridge) Pentium 2 processors and motherboards in there... some real near museum pieces I'm sure... amongst a range of other stuff, there's a couple questionable CPU/mainboards I never got around to figuring out if it was the CPU or motherboard or both that fried.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 01:23:35 PM
I have a few friends that rebuild PC's and sell them to make a few extra bucks, so I usually give them my old pieces.  Some of them should qualify as charity cases.  :D

I'd rather see the stuff be re-used than recycled if there's still life left in them.  Schools are a great place for handing off old computer parts either to repair or replace their old computers or so that students learning about computers can see samples of older hardware to better understand the evolution of them.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 04:39:34 PM
Any update on this?  :pok:
SAW

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 04:22:59 AM
actually, no.

I've been a bit swamped with some paying projects and some security updates on various sites... oh, and the NHL Playoffs...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%