Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK EDC Sheath Ideas?

sh_wt · 12 · 2165

ca Offline sh_wt

• New User
SAK EDC Sheath Ideas?
on: April 19, 2014, 05:51:22 PM
I recently lost my SAK Cybertool 41, as the result of a poor sheath design, at least, that's what I'm thinking right now.  Very sad to have lost my trusty CT41, which I used every day for the last 7 years.

The NiteIze 'Tool Holster Stretch' that was purchased for me had a single snap.  I was wearing a longer shell and must have caught the flap and opened the sheath on the trail when I took the jacket off.  I went to tie my boot, and didn't notice the knife fall out into the soft soil...

That's the theory, it's also possible when I changed at the gym, it feel out of the sheath then.  All I know is, I went to use my knife, the sheath was open and my knife was gone!

I'm wondering what people think about what I should be doing in the future to secure my EDC SAK.  I'll likely get the same knife, if I can find it... it worked very well for me.  The sheath worked well, except for the suspected issue I had.

a. I'm wondering if I should tie a lanyard to the knife and sheath (there's a nylon loop at the top of the sheath for such a purpose)?

b. Maybe there is a better design?  Velcro (not a big fan, as it is noisy and wears out)? Other ideas?

Thanks for you input,
Stephen

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: SAK EDC Sheath Ideas?
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 06:06:00 PM
I recently lost my SAK Cybertool 41, as the result of a poor sheath design, at least, that's what I'm thinking right now.  Very sad to have lost my trusty CT41, which I used every day for the last 7 years.

The NiteIze 'Tool Holster Stretch' that was purchased for me had a single snap.  I was wearing a longer shell and must have caught the flap and opened the sheath on the trail when I took the jacket off.  I went to tie my boot, and didn't notice the knife fall out into the soft soil...

That's the theory, it's also possible when I changed at the gym, it feel out of the sheath then.  All I know is, I went to use my knife, the sheath was open and my knife was gone!

I'm wondering what people think about what I should be doing in the future to secure my EDC SAK.  I'll likely get the same knife, if I can find it... it worked very well for me.  The sheath worked well, except for the suspected issue I had.

a. I'm wondering if I should tie a lanyard to the knife and sheath (there's a nylon loop at the top of the sheath for such a purpose)?

b. Maybe there is a better design?  Velcro (not a big fan, as it is noisy and wears out)? Other ideas?

Thanks for you input,
Stephen
I'd go with a, get a leather sheath, punch a hole in it and attach a lanyard! this way the only time it's coming undone is when you take it off.. Don't get me wrong I like the Velcro, I have one but your right, over time it's going to give,, JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 06:25:40 PM
Mine lives in a homebrewed moulded leather pouch , it aint comming out no how , no way . It also sports a dangler clip for secure pocket carry .

I'll grab my camera , and get you a pic .

This pouch was originally for someone else , I screwed up . I carefully marked the snap hole in the flap , then misspunched it . What happens if you work late , once you're past sixty ! I made anothe pouch for Buddy , and kept the spoiled one . The " belt loop " is paracord , and can be worn either vertically or horizontally . It gives some freedom of movement , and is easy to change /repair . 550 cord is plenty strong !

Chris

Chris
P4190374.jpg
* P4190374.jpg (Filesize: 38.41 KB)
P4190375.jpg
* P4190375.jpg (Filesize: 44.45 KB)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 06:44:43 PM by Styerman »

us Offline DMK

Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 02:37:40 AM
Very nice sheath!

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 04:25:56 AM
I hope your baby turns up . The combination of tight molding ( cant come out by gravity ) , a tightly molded flap ( no sloppy movement ) , and a good quality , properly fitted snap , pretty much put the kibosh on escapes .

If you plan to roll down a mountain or two , a loop of paracord to engage the dangler , acts as insurance against flap failure .

Chris

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 04:31:23 AM
This is a pretty "bare bones" approach, but Rainbow of California makes a SAK case. It's got a Velcro flap though. But at least you'd know if opened it on accident. "RRRIIIIIIPPPP" :D

http://www.rainbowofcalifornia.com/swiss-army-knifecase-p-41-l-en.html

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 06:33:10 PM
Plumbarian , in response to your sound advice , I attached a short lanyard with a McGizmo clip to my sheath . One seldom needs to quick draw a SAK , and lots of stuff can get lost in attics and crawl spaces .

In re: Velcro , it comes in several grades , and you get what you pay for . It's a PITA to replace , as you usually have to take apart the sheath to replace it . Once the "male" , or hook side gets crudded up , it can make very little noise on opening . Water doesn't help it's function very much .

Chris

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 07:44:55 PM
I thought I lost my most prized one a few weeks ago, the found it on the car seat later on. (Thank you god) Since then I keep it on a leash. It may seem overkill, but I am NOT loosing my knife. I use a sheath from another item to try and protect the knife from other steel stuff in my pocket, if I pull out the knife from my pocket, the sheath stays in my pocket.

Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 09:20:43 PM
I thought I lost my most prized one a few weeks ago, the found it on the car seat later on. (Thank you god) Since then I keep it on a leash. It may seem overkill, but I am NOT loosing my knife. I use a sheath from another item to try and protect the knife from other steel stuff in my pocket, if I pull out the knife from my pocket, the sheath stays in my pocket.
(Image removed from quote.)

Fallkniven sharpening stone?
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 09:40:44 PM
Plumbarian , in response to your sound advice , I attached a short lanyard with a McGizmo clip to my sheath . One seldom needs to quick draw a SAK , and lots of stuff can get lost in attics and crawl spaces .

In re: Velcro , it comes in several grades , and you get what you pay for . It's a PITA to replace , as you usually have to take apart the sheath to replace it . Once the "male" , or hook side gets crudded up , it can make very little noise on opening . Water doesn't help it's function very much .

Chris
You don't have to tell me about tight walkways, crawl spaces, or attics and having to access tools or especially flashlights quickly! I've been in my fair share, and the one problem with any loose ends can get caught VERY easily! Even sheaths, or if ending up on back, everything falls out of pocket, so nothing is promising! JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 10:30:35 PM

Yep. Perfect slim fit.  :)
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 05:28:26 AM

Yep. Perfect slim fit.  :)

I love those sheaths, also work nicely for flat items like a PWII or LM bit cards. :tu:

Sent from... Where am I, anyway?

A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%