Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help/advice concerning my Original Wave

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Help/advice concerning my Original Wave
on: April 21, 2014, 03:09:30 AM
Hi all,
As many of you are likely aware, I recently acquired one of my primary wish list items, the original Wave.  I mentioned that there was some play/wiggle in the handles when closed.  When looking at it as in the pic below, the handles will move fairly easily up and down a few mm each way.

I'm wondering if any of you know what causes this issue, and if it's an easy fix or not.  It seems fine when open in plier mode, but when closed, it just feels too loose.  It's especially noticeable when deploying either of the blades.  I'm considering sending it in to LM to have them tighten it up or whatever would need to be done to fix the problem.  I would obviously mark it as sentimental as I don't want it replaced by a New Wave.  I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience/knowledge on this type of issue and if it's a simple matter of tightening/adjusting something so that LM wouldn't feel they couldn't fix it and need to replace it with a New Wave.  Thanks in advance for any info everyone :salute:
K-Tibbs

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Re: Help/advice concerning my Original Wave
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 03:20:10 AM
I think tightening the screws is the only easy fix, if that' the problem. I believe that the plier head is what keeps the handles in place when closed so there may be no way to fix it if the handles are slightly wider on the inside allowing them to move slightly before the plier head stops them.  Someone who knows more about this will probably be along. I hope everything works out with it.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 03:28:36 AM
I think tightening the screws is the only easy fix, if that' the problem. I believe that the plier head is what keeps the handles in place when closed so there may be no way to fix it if the handles are slightly wider on the inside allowing them to move slightly before the plier head stops them.  Someone who knows more about this will probably be along. I hope everything works out with it.

Thanks for the input John :salute:  I had wondered about what actually kept the handles solidly in place, and thought the pliers would be the only possible thing.  But I thought that unless the pliers themselves were sloppy or loose (which they aren't), then the handles should be fine.  I didn't think of the fact that there may be too much space around them when closed, which makes sense, but as you said, wouldn't be fixable I assume. 
K-Tibbs

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 03:28:58 AM
I think that is normal, all of my old waves have done that.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 03:39:19 AM
I think that is normal, all of my old waves have done that.

Oh really?  I suppose I can take comfort in that if it's a normal thing.  I just wasn't expecting it, and it's a little disappointing, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything.  It just doesn't feel like the solid quality LM (similar to how the Wingman/Sidekick feel, but considering their price, it's more tolerable) that I was expecting.  Still, I can't deny I still love it regardless :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 03:47:30 AM
Good point about the wingman and sidekick, both wingmen I had did not have any play except for this type. Be thankful it isn't something worse I guess. :shrug: :)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 03:50:54 AM
Good point about the wingman and sidekick, both wingmen I had did not have any play except for this type. Be thankful it isn't something worse I guess. :shrug: :)

Yeah, I have one of each, and they both have that play in the handles, but all else is solid, as is the case with this Wave.  And you are exactly right there, as it could have been much worse.  I could have gotten a dud in some form.  I can't complain for getting a brand new Original Wave for just under $40 :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 04:51:15 AM
Mine came back from leathermans tight no wiggle at all.

Swiss Army knives .

CHEERS

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 04:56:47 AM
I scored a used old ver wave off ebay last week and its pretty floppy when closed too. The pliers pivot and screws are all tight though. I wasnt quite sure what to make of it yet but if it's common then I guess there probably isnt too much to be done.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 05:46:39 AM
I have had four waves all with the same. I thought i read hear that is just how they were but maybe someone else will come by and confirm.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 05:47:52 AM

Swiss Army knives .

Had you sent it in due to this type of issue, or was it something else?
K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 05:53:16 AM
Upon some closer inspection, I think Nhoj may be on the right track with there being extra space around the pliers within the closed handles.  Also, based on Scrappy's experience with multiple original Waves, and I'm thinking this may just be the way they were.  It's more noticeable while deploying the serrated blade, as that one's a little stiffer than the plain edge blade. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 06:45:51 AM

Swiss Army knives .

Driver and a blade, but the whole thing was loose and sloppy. Came back tight and snappy.

Swiss Army knives .

CHEERS

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 06:51:33 AM

Swiss Army knives .

Driver and a blade, but the whole thing was loose and sloppy. Came back tight and snappy.

Swiss Army knives .

Hm...interesting :think:  So I wonder what they did that remedied the loose handles?  Which driver needed to be fixed/replaced? 
K-Tibbs

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 07:23:46 AM
Sorry, I don't really have any problems with mine, just a few little corners chipped off of the screwdrivers, other then that no wiggle.. JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 10:55:42 AM
This is normal sadly,this was the reason i sent my original wave to lm and went for a new version as they can fix it ,i got another og wave and i tightened the bolts a little and tightened the pliers,i put the pliers on a anvil and used a flat punch the same size as the pliers rivet and hit the punch with a hammer,pliers now cut paper again :tu:.  I still say this was lm's best mt  :salute:

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 01:37:22 PM
If you're unhappy with your wave I'll keep it :whistle:

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 01:45:15 PM

Swiss Army knives .

Swiss Army knives .

Hm...interesting :think:  So I wonder what they did that remedied the loose handles?  Which driver needed to be fixed/replaced?

The smaller standard, did you try to tighten the handles ?

Swiss Army knives .

CHEERS

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 02:30:48 PM
If you're unhappy with your wave I'll keep it :whistle:

Sorry buddy, I'm not that unhappy ;)
K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 02:33:33 PM

Swiss Army knives .

Swiss Army knives .

Swiss Army knives .

I would if I had the means to do so.  I don't have or know what type of bit would be needed to do that, or if it is available anywhere.  I'm assuming it must be if others here have tightened the handles themselves. 

K-Tibbs

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 03:25:23 PM

Swiss Army knives .

Swiss Army knives .

Swiss Army knives .

I would if I had the means to do so.  I don't have or know what type of bit would be needed to do that, or if it is available anywhere.  I'm assuming it must be if others here have tightened the handles themselves.

I am pretty sure it is a security torx # 10 Home Depot or harbor freight will have them. You are going to need two.

Swiss Army knives .

CHEERS

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #21 on: April 21, 2014, 03:56:20 PM

Swiss Army knives .

Swiss Army knives .

Swiss Army knives .

I am pretty sure it is a security torx # 10 Home Depot or harbor freight will have them. You are going to need two.

Swiss Army knives .

Ah, thanks for the info bud :D  I may give that a try at some point, when I can get to look for them.  Nearest Home Depot is about an hour away, but there may be a couple places I can check here in town where I work. 

Would tightening the handles make any difference reducing the extra space around the pliers?  It seems like the tools inside would have to be forced closer together, which would make them likely difficult to deploy.  I'm thinking it may just be a normal thing that I'm going to have to accept, but your case of LM fixing yours makes me wonder.  Unless it was fixed by the driver they replaced?  I would assume it would have been the same size/shape as the broken one though, so that probably shouldn't have made any difference. 
K-Tibbs

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 04:40:48 PM
Now you're making me wonder too.  If there is space does it need an extra washer or something?  Mine is in good shape but very dirty so I havent given it a good clean and inspection yet.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 05:32:10 PM
Now you're making me wonder too.  If there is space does it need an extra washer or something?  Mine is in good shape but very dirty so I havent given it a good clean and inspection yet.

Yeah I'm not sure.  There seems to be too much space around the pliers when closed.  I'm not really sure how that can be remedied as the tools themselves have to be closer together, and by a decent amount by the feel of it, and I don't see how that's possible.  They're all pretty tight to begin with. 

Although, on the phillips side, there is that tiny lanyard ring thing, which if removed, should reduce that space, but that's only on that side.  The other side has nothing to take out from what I can see, and I think that side is the bigger offender in terms of extra space around the pliers. 

I'm guessing my next course of action is either trying to find and buy a couple #10 security torx bits and trying to tighten the handles, or just sending it off to LM to see if they are able to fix it.  I would just have to tell them that I don't want a New Wave as replacement, and that if they can't fix it, to just send it back to me. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #24 on: April 21, 2014, 06:06:57 PM
Tightening the handles is going to jack with your tool deployment for sure. Just play with it, sure there is a happy medium.

Swiss Army knives .

CHEERS

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: April 21, 2014, 09:44:41 PM

Yeah I'm not sure.  There seems to be too much space around the pliers when closed.  I'm not really sure how that can be remedied as the tools themselves have to be closer together, and by a decent amount by the feel of it, and I don't see how that's possible.  They're all pretty tight to begin with. 

Although, on the phillips side, there is that tiny lanyard ring thing, which if removed, should reduce that space, but that's only on that side.  The other side has nothing to take out from what I can see, and I think that side is the bigger offender in terms of extra space around the pliers. 

I'm guessing my next course of action is either trying to find and buy a couple #10 security torx bits and trying to tighten the handles, or just sending it off to LM to see if they are able to fix it.  I would just have to tell them that I don't want a New Wave as replacement, and that if they can't fix it, to just send it back to me.
I'm not sure about buying torx, the old waves have 5 point torx instead of the normal 6 point you would find at a hardware store.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #26 on: April 21, 2014, 09:48:44 PM

I'm not sure about buying torx, the old waves have 5 point torx instead of the normal 6 point you would find at a hardware store.

Oh really?  Thanks for that info man :salute:  I may not have picked up on that if I was just focusing on finding the right size bit. 
K-Tibbs

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #27 on: April 21, 2014, 11:03:54 PM

Oh really?  Thanks for that info man :salute:  I may not have picked up on that if I was just focusing on finding the right size bit.

Oh FFS!  I had just assumed they would be normal ones, but now I guess easily taking them apart is a challenge.

I see 'Pentalobe' drivers on ebay, I guess I will have to get those now.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:06:49 PM by Syph007 »

us Offline Mango808

Reply #28 on: April 23, 2014, 12:05:23 PM

Oh FFS!  I had just assumed they would be normal ones, but now I guess easily taking them apart is a challenge.

I see 'Pentalobe' drivers on ebay, I guess I will have to get those now.
I got a set of those TS10 Pentalobe Security Drivers off ebay which is how one seller sells them only as a pair, as you'll need two of them to tighten/loosen the screws on the Original Wave (the same goes for the retired SideClip). I believe the same seller has the 1/4" hex bits version as well which I also got and put one in a bench vise and used the TS10 driver on the other side. Tightened up my Sideclip which had been loose for years.

Got them before I got my Original Waves and haven't tried or needed to tighten the OG Waves yet.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #29 on: May 02, 2014, 06:06:42 PM
In my infinite wisdom, years ago I purchase one (count them, ONE) of those 5 point security Torx bits. More recently, it occurred to me that it would require TWO to successfully manipulate the screws on the old Wave. The lessons we learn...   ::)
SAW

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD