Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Inpsecting my new orange farmer... am I being picky?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
I haven't used the new orange farmer yet, just taken it out of the box for inspection.  There is a 'dot' of anodizing missing off one end, and on the inside sharper edges of the scales at the position where the blades meet the scales the edges are rubbed off. 

Now this one is my 'user' so I dont care too much.  But it just got me thinking about what others consider acceptable. 

The alox (aluminum oxide) layer grows perpendicular to the aluminum surface, so that inner sharp 90 degree edge is pretty impossible to coat perfectly.  When I strip and reanodize the scales I will sand that edge just a touch to smooth it out and take the sharpness out of it.  Now I realize thats not an option in mass production, but maybe Im just being too picky now I dont know.

Im happy to have a factory orange farmer so dont get me wrong about that, it just got me thinking.  This also might be why the silver alox is the meat and potatoes of the standard Vic alox as you dont notice tiny specs of clear anodize missing.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 05:17:35 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Offline RedRamage

Re: Inpsecting my new orange farmer... am I being picky?
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 05:25:02 PM
If this is a user knife, I probably wouldn't care.  But if it's for a collection I'd probably be picky about it.  It likely isn't going to be a problem that many people see, but if you've seen it, it'll always bug you whenever you look at your collection or show it off to others.  Then it's gonna standout like a sore thumb. 

I understand not wanting to be picky, and I'd feel bad about complaining to a seller about it.  But at the end of the day if you're getting it for a collection you want a perfect piece.  If it was sold to you as perfect, you should get perfect.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 05:30:32 PM
When I buy a coloured Alox purely to collect I will reject it if it is not perfect as if I want to sell it later I will need to point that out and reduce the price. If I keep it then I will be unhappy every time I look at it.

taaaaaaapaaaaaaas

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 05:40:02 PM
Yes if I only bought this one and it was for my collection I would be less happy.  Ive got colored alox new in box before though that had very minor amounts of coating missing, so I figured it was just luck of the draw.

One other thing I noticed over the last few years of buying alox knives is that the edges get rougher over time.  I believe probably because the stamping dies get more worn?

The old cross red alox knives I have are perfect, no scratches or missing color.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 07:45:26 PM
Just build a better one  :salute:

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 08:19:57 PM
There will always be a little disappointment when a SAK, MT, knife, etc. does not arrive "perfect".   This is especially true on a limited production run like the orange Farmer.  Best bet might be to use that sucker pretty good so that it's covered with your own dings and scrapes, and the factory imperfections will not be so apparent.  I carry my SAKs in the same pocket with keys, change, Sharpie and Space Pen, so they get ugly (or pretty, depending on your perspective) quickly.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 11:01:44 PM
Well I had to open the 2nd one to see if it was any more perfect.  It doesnt have the dot missing on the end of the scale but the inside edges are scraped and exposed as well.  So, I guess thats just how they are.

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 11:08:40 PM
Yep. Having handled many colored alox SAKs, I've seen the majority with roughness around the edges. The missing anodizing and specks are hit or miss. More often than not, there isn't any actual damage to the color, but since they're often loose in a box and shipped in a padded envelope, they can get a but bounced around as well.
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 11:15:18 PM
I bought 4 of the orange ones.  I have only opened one of them, and the anodizing looks perfect to me - on the edges and inside the scales as well.  I feel sorta bad that I received the one Syph was supposed to get.  :)

us Offline Saluki

Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 02:06:05 AM
I bought an orange farmer, and it also also has one tiny speck of missing coating along with the same situation along the sharp edges.  Even though mine is a "collector", I am not too bothered by it.  My expectations go up and down with the retail cost of the knife.  If I were buying a custom knife or a $400 Sebenza, I would expect it to be functionally and cosmetically perfect.  On a $35 mass produced knife, I expect a tiny cosmetic blemish or two. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 03:51:39 PM
+1

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 04:02:28 PM
+1

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yep. :D  Well I wanted to use stock orange scales with some black tools, but now the chips are going to bug me so I'll probably end up using my redone orange scales anyhow.  I guess I just convinced myself I probably wont buy anymore special color versions.  I have an orange pioneer as well, and I dont think it was as bad.  If the sun comes out today IM going to do a photo shoot to compare those 2 stock orange ones with my reanodized orange.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 04:07:28 PM
FWIW, I've yet to buy a new in box or blister alox knife with perfect annodization. :/

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 04:19:10 PM
FWIW, I've yet to buy a new in box or blister alox knife with perfect annodization. :/

If I was to estimate I think ive got about 1 in 4 that dont have imperfections.  The older ones were better though.  Ive got a few old cross ones in red and they are all perfect.  They were NIB old stock.  Keep in mind that back then they were packed better too, in those sliding boxes with little cushion inserts.  These ones are free to move about in the little box and the keyring does line up with one of the dings near the top now that I have realized it.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 04:51:10 PM
I'm going to take a look at my friends Orange Alox today when I get home.  I haven't opened mine as I wanted to give it to my son on his bday.  On a related note I got a NIB Crunch with misaligned plier tips.  These are pretty far off from being ok but I figure since I was going to use them no problem.  I feel since you are handcrafting your customs the quality is and will always be at a higher level.  I'd also add after hearing about you and your customs for a year now you Sir are clearly a craftsmen and take great pride in your work. 

Are Swissbianco's Alox also similar in missing anodizing and finish?  I'm not that familiar with how he "makes" his Alox.   
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 08:38:44 PM
I'm going to take a look at my friends Orange Alox today when I get home.  I haven't opened mine as I wanted to give it to my son on his bday.  On a related note I got a NIB Crunch with misaligned plier tips.  These are pretty far off from being ok but I figure since I was going to use them no problem.  I feel since you are handcrafting your customs the quality is and will always be at a higher level.  I'd also add after hearing about you and your customs for a year now you Sir are clearly a craftsmen and take great pride in your work. 

Are Swissbianco's Alox also similar in missing anodizing and finish?  I'm not that familiar with how he "makes" his Alox.

+B alox is the same as any other Vic run, they are made by Vic.  +B dont do anything to the knives, they just sell them.  If my grandmother had the same connection as they do with Vic, she could sell the same 'custom special super duper' knives. 

I am very picky about the customs I release, but they are at a much higher price point too, so that cost is for my time and attention to make sure it's just right.  Ive got so many specialized jigs and holders now to process parts for speed and more importantly consistency.  For example you cant put the main alox blade on a flat surface and drill it like a normal part.  Since the blade is angled in the SAK if you did that the hole would not be perpendicular to the pivot part of the knife.  So I have a holder that mimics the position in the SAK to ensure the hole is at the correct angle. 

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 08:57:59 PM
I am very picky about the customs I release, but they are at a much higher price point too, so that cost is for my time and attention to make sure it's just right.  Ive got so many specialized jigs and holders now to process parts for speed and more importantly consistency.  For example you cant put the main alox blade on a flat surface and drill it like a normal part.  Since the blade is angled in the SAK if you did that the hole would not be perpendicular to the pivot part of the knife.  So I have a holder that mimics the position in the SAK to ensure the hole is at the correct angle.

Damn straight, man. I'm always telling people how your fit and finish it orders of magnitude above that of a stock Vic.

One of my viewers on YouTube was telling me how he got shafted by Roger on the last +B run, and now that money is going to a custom from you Bob.  :tu:
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 10:16:02 PM
Here is my farmer for ref of what I was talking about.

The other one has the same edges problem, but no dot on the other part.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 10:24:39 PM
Looks like the edges weren't buffed at all before anodizing.  That end with the dot looks very uneven.

Still:  Damn!  :drool:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 10:28:52 PM
Looks like the edges weren't buffed at all before anodizing.  That end with the dot looks very uneven.

Still:  Damn!  :drool:

Ya they dont do any finishing on them at all.  Sometime I need to take a pic of what they look like just after I strip them, you can really see how rough the metal is.

To be fair Im also used to the hard anodize I run, which takes significantly more abuse to cause any chipping.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 03:25:22 AM
Yeah, I would not be pleased with that either.  If that were a Spyderco or Kershaw product, they would mark it as a blem.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 04:35:46 AM
I just checked my roommates alox and she has the same blemish though no dot..... and it was very rough on the edges.  It's a shame their attention to detail is lacking.  The good news however, anyone who wants a flawless custom, knows who to contact. 
Esse Quam Videri

za Offline ?eter

Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 08:59:00 AM
If it's any consolation, this doesn't just go for the 'large' run customs - my 1/15 Orange Farmer had similar rough edges

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 09:39:10 AM
I think these cosmetical issues are acceptable, as the scales (and knives) are mass produced items at last.
as long as teh function is ok, I guess we are discussing first world problems here, mostly produced by our eye to detailon SAKs, Macro photography and us being used higher standards on custom SAKS. We spoilt ourselves, I guess.
I am not saying it would not bother me, but I try to look at it from victorinox point of view.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 02:53:23 PM
I just checked my Apoc Green Farmer and a Red Vic Pioneer (a new one from Alexi)  and both have slightly rough inside edges but no missing anodizing. I bought these last year and they were foam sleeved in the box.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 04:19:15 PM
I think these cosmetical issues are acceptable, as the scales (and knives) are mass produced items at last.
as long as teh function is ok, I guess we are discussing first world problems here, mostly produced by our eye to detailon SAKs, Macro photography and us being used higher standards on custom SAKS. We spoilt ourselves, I guess.
I am not saying it would not bother me, but I try to look at it from victorinox point of view.

I am not personally bothered, as mentioned my New Crunch has misaligned plier tips and it wont be going in to LM.  I do feel its a shame that the smoothness of the scales isnt better tho.  I guess the cost would have to be higher and many wouldn't buy.  Funny thing is I have clients that want it fast, perfect, and cheap so I tell them they can ONLY have 2.  It usually helpd them decide EXACTLY what they want.     
Esse Quam Videri

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 04:42:12 PM
Yes, I know that saying from Motorcycle repair/speed shop people, too - You have 3 variaples, cheap, fast, reliable - pick 2.
Breaks it down quite good.

On teh scales, I guess smoothing out teh edges would need one complete step more in teh production which might kill pricing for them, and if they are not equipped for that step, they cannot do it on limited runs, even if tehy wanted to.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #27 on: April 23, 2014, 08:08:02 PM

Ya Im not too fussed about it really. Like I said this one will get carried and used anyhow.  I just wondered what peoples thoughts were.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #28 on: April 23, 2014, 08:17:13 PM
Yes, I know that saying from Motorcycle repair/speed shop people, too - You have 3 variaples, cheap, fast, reliable - pick 2.
Breaks it down quite good.

On teh scales, I guess smoothing out teh edges would need one complete step more in teh production which might kill pricing for them, and if they are not equipped for that step, they cannot do it on limited runs, even if tehy wanted to.

I use a scotchbrite belt to smooth my scales edges then hand polish them.  About 20 minutes per scale.  I cant think of a mass production way to do that, so it is what it is.

Offline gw8433

Reply #29 on: April 24, 2014, 03:40:46 PM
orange harvester
先锋-收获者-橙色.jpg
* 先锋-收获者-橙色.jpg (Filesize: 512.32 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85