Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What do you HATE seeing in review videos?

N_N_R · 160 · 7403

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
What do you HATE seeing in review videos?
on: April 22, 2014, 07:39:57 AM
For example, I hate it when flashlight reviewers would shine their lights RIGHT in front of the camera and blind me, trying to show how cool the modes are. Well, WTF, would you do that if you want people to enjoy your video and feel comfortable while watching.

I also dislike it when someone all of a sudden decides to change the angle from which they're shooting, takes the camera and starts hovering around with it making me feel dizzy quite literally... lol.

And I especially hate those close-up reviews (the very reviews I like) where people show the item reviewed and their hands with long, ugly, dirty nails......  If you're gonna show them to the world, make your nails presentable... :megaslap:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: What do you HATE seeing in review videos?
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 08:01:34 AM
Too long videos, with detailed unboxing, where more time is spent in opening/describing the box than using the tool.

Videos where the tool is not used or shown properly so that you have to just hear a description, looking at a the same tool, from the same angle all the time.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 08:15:33 AM
Too long videos, with detailed unboxing, where more time is spent in opening/describing the box than using the tool.

Oh, yes!!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 08:21:40 AM
All of the above and bad lighting and one hand manipulation of the tool because the other hand (the one more affected by the Parkinson's disorder) holds the camera.
Yet a bad video review is better than no review because it still gives some info on the tool.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 09:12:18 AM
(the one more affected by the Parkinson's disorder) holds the camera.
Yet a bad video review is better than no review because it still gives some info on the tool.

:rofl:

Yeah, I agree that bad video is better than no video :D

But there are just some things that make me go to another video or another page immediately, without even watching the "bad" one till the end...

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 10:10:41 AM
I think I hat what I HEAR in bad video reviews more than the vision content.

FFS  WRITE A SCRIPT!!!!!   :rant:

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 12:41:14 PM
For me, it's bad video and sound quality.   :rant:  Bad/dirty fingernails also bugs me.  If you're going to have your hands in focus all of the time, one would think you'd want clean, presentable hands.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 12:44:23 PM
I hate when someone leaves what they're reviewing sitting there and don't touch it until the end. If I wanted to look at a stationary picture I would look at an actual picture!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 01:05:31 PM
I'm glad to see I'm not too guilty of many of these, though I am off to check the condition of my nails in my videos. :-[

I don't mind 'initial impressions' per se, but I also think labelling them as reviews is misleading, especially if there is no follow-up.   Look at it this way; just how credible would a car review be from someone who hasn't actually driven it really be? :shrug:

Unboxing; I really, really don't need to see the box it arrived in thanks very much.  So long as it protects the item until I get my hands on it, I just don't care.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 01:20:28 PM
Gareth, off-topic but I am always amused and annoyed by people reviewing items on amazon, giving them 5 stars and saying that they have just received the item and the initial impressions are good....

How can you give 5 stars to something you have not even used yet...  Are they desparate for attention or just do not understand what they are doing to others by giving top marks to a product based on its looks/box it came in.

(same goes for people who give bad marks to the product based on the fact that it took too long to arrive/ordered the wrong size etc)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 01:33:45 PM
Gareth, off-topic but I am always amused and annoyed by people reviewing items on amazon, giving them 5 stars and saying that they have just received the item and the initial impressions are good....

How can you give 5 stars to something you have not even used yet...  Are they desparate for attention or just do not understand what they are doing to others by giving top marks to a product based on its looks/box it came in.

(same goes for people who give bad marks to the product based on the fact that it took too long to arrive/ordered the wrong size etc)

Absolutely agree.

scotland Offline gardenvalley

Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 01:41:48 PM
I have to agree with all the points already made: dreadful lighting, shaky hand-held camera-phone video, rambling script (or lack of) and obscuring the product with arm, head etc. The best reviews I`ve seen on the Tube are by a guy from Germany, I think his name is Stefan Schmalhaus(?). Excellent lighting, camera on a tripod, accurate and concise description of the product and a modicum of humour. What makes the other reviews look even more awful and his so much better is that 1) English is not his first language and 2) I think he even shows his camera/lighting setup in his blog or on another video. Oh dear.
Thi`s signature contain`s no superfluou`s apostrophe`s

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 02:34:32 PM
Yes, that's his name.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 02:54:19 PM
My personal pet hate is when they spend too much time showing the blade!!
I'm more interested in the build quality, especially if I'm researching pocket knives as I currently am. I want to see the backside, check for gaps, flush joints etc etc. The Last thing is the damn blade, obviously I already now what the blade is, that's the reason why I'm watching the damn video, or worse the paper cut test... WTF :ahhh :rant:  :bnghd: :bnghd:
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 03:38:49 PM
Any review longer than 10 minutes - If you can't say it concisely and neatly think harder and re-record - I don't have time for longer.

Unboxings - What a waste of time - As many of you have said - Except maybe the limited editions??

Reviewers who say stuff like "Um err I really like this tool" - and not much more than that.
So what  :rant: .... Tell me what it does and your experiences of using it.

Gareth - Loved your Rebar review - This was pretty much a perfect review for me :-)
Oh and BTW - Also loved you dulcit tones - reminded me of Alba - even if you do come from the wrong end of the M8  :D  :whistle:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 03:54:00 PM
Any review longer than 10 minutes - If you can't say it concisely and neatly think harder and re-record - I don't have time for longer.

Unboxings - What a waste of time - As many of you have said - Except maybe the limited editions??

Reviewers who say stuff like "Um err I really like this tool" - and not much more than that.
So what  :rant: .... Tell me what it does and your experiences of using it.

Gareth - Loved your Rebar review - This was pretty much a perfect review for me :-)
Oh and BTW - Also loved you dulcit tones - reminded me of Alba - even if you do come from the wrong end of the M8  :D  :whistle:

Cheers....I think. :think:

:D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 04:37:24 PM
All thee above for me as well.  I dont care for reviews with gloves on unless you are showing how the tool can be used with gloves on.  Bad camera angles and low quality sound lately have been driving me madddd. 

I do like comparisons showing the tool related to everyday objects.  I also like either real world use opinion or actual real world usage footage rolled in.  Stefan does a great job with his reviews, I love how he says pocket  :).     
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 05:03:08 PM
Gorgeous, beautiful, perfect knives I can't afford!

:facepalm: :rant: :ahhh :twak:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 05:06:39 PM
Gorgeous, beautiful, perfect knives I can't afford!

:facepalm: :rant: :ahhh :twak:

:rofl: RIght

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 05:09:19 PM
Gloves never bothered me. Even quality not so much. Some people just can't afford the tool and the camera I figure. The younger one more so. It the unprepared one with tons of ummms and uhhs.
I know if I ever did one, I would have to wear gloves because people would not like to see my hands. They are so torn up, dry, stained with oil and grease. And that's after I would my hands with lava soap. Lmao!

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 05:16:43 PM
Gloves never bothered me. Even quality not so much. Some people just can't afford the tool and the camera I figure. The younger one more so. It the unprepared one with tons of ummms and uhhs.
I know if I ever did one, I would have to wear gloves because people would not like to see my hands. They are so torn up, dry, stained with oil and grease. And that's after I would my hands with lava soap. Lmao!

live from Nate's mobile

I totally agree with this.  I dont have a huge issue with hands being ugly or dirty so much.  Heck I work with my hands so I like reviews as I mentioned from a real world view.  I don't care for the swearing or bashing of other tools to get a point across.  I'd really like to see these awesome tools in real world usage. I dont mind reviews but lemme see the tool in action.   
Esse Quam Videri

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #21 on: April 22, 2014, 05:27:52 PM
I feel I should make a tiny comment :D I don't have issues with HANDS, but with particularly long & dirty nails... lol. I mean, it's one thing to see a woman with longer nails (though lots of women don't take care of their nails either and just.... "grow them"), but seeing a guy with noticeably longer nails that they could be... hm. Perhaps some could invest in nail-clippers rather than expensive tools.. lol

P.S. ok, not such tiny a comment :D As for the rest, I enjoy making videos, but for myself mostly. My YT channel is more of a ... calendar for me to know when I bought what, lol. I also consider unboxing videos silly, though I've made a few, just so, to see what it's like. They should be just separate videos, I think. Unboxing and only unboxing. The review part should be in another video. Also, I don't consider my videos reviews, because a real, proper, review must have a specific structure, I think and some certain points has to be covered. This is why I usually try to avoid criticism by calling my videos: XXXXX Impressions. Lol. As for the cameras, mine isn't good either, it's old and can't even focus. And I can afford a more expensive and new one, but as video-making doesn't occupy a large part of my life, I'd rather spend my money on lights and tools, lol. But yeah, people who "dare call" their videos reviews, should be a little bit better prepared, indeed.

And yeah, Stefan's sense of humour is great :D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 05:34:47 PM by N_N_R »

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #22 on: April 22, 2014, 05:42:51 PM
Review killers:

- Not getting straight to the point.  Show the dang MT/SAK/blade and start talking about it.  I don't need 4 minutes of bull before you get the knife out.
- Constant pauses, "uh", and throat clearing.  If half the video is silence, or the sound of you clearing your sinuses, we are going to rumble. 
- Show some darn excitement, or at least interest.  If you are putting yourself to sleep, you are putting me to sleep.

That's why I love Nutnfancy, just as an example.  Yeah, he's a self-important blowhard.  But the guy has strong opinions, he loves his toys as much as I do, and he has some energy going that gets you revved up.  He keeps the words flowing and the interest up.  That's why he has something like 150 million views.

So to have a good review:  have strong opinions, keep the words flowing fast, and show some dang energy and excitement.  A little sense of humor thrown in doesn't hurt.

Rock on.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: April 22, 2014, 05:52:20 PM
@NNR I've seen a few or your videos and you love your lights and it shows.  I love the dog too.   :tu: 

I agree NutnFancy is passionate he just needs to trim 90 mins of a knife review to 10-15 IMO.  I think he definatley has some very good reviews however.  I appreciate his view points on the tools he reviews and dont get caught up in the other stuff.   I like the dude from Seattle  :think: Urban Prepper? He is always on topic and very detailed.  I was gonna try and do a video of some tools that I rarely see on YT but I'm too lazy  :rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #24 on: April 22, 2014, 06:56:42 PM
Unboxing. Tell me what's in the box is fine, no need to spend 5 minutes go through what's printed on the box, the included baggie is so silky smooth etc... I'll take shaky and badly lit videos if it gives good info.

The best reviews I`ve seen on the Tube are by a guy from Germany, I think his name is Stefan Schmalhaus(?). Excellent lighting, camera on a tripod, accurate and concise description of the product and a modicum of humour. What makes the other reviews look even more awful and his so much better is that 1) English is not his first language and 2) I think he even shows his camera/lighting setup in his blog or on another video. Oh dear.

His production is so well done it easily rivals any professional TV station.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #25 on: April 22, 2014, 07:08:13 PM
@Aloha, thanks  :salute:  :)

Hahaha, yeah, btw, I also dislike being shown the included... baggy for like two minutes... and the manual... and the box... and leaving the light/MT/whatever for like the last 4 out of 10 minutes...

And as for Ntn..... I like his reviews because they're detailed and not boring and because he uses some good camera that shows you everything.... BUT I'm not a fan of his... "weird whizzing" sounds or whatever other unnatural ways of expressing excitement he has. So, I guess it's 50:50 for me.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 07:10:15 PM by N_N_R »

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 02:46:28 AM
I hate seeing bad products................................ :facepalm:
Leatherman

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: April 23, 2014, 03:56:59 AM
How about reviewers giving incorrect information or otherwise not knowing what they are talking about?   :ahhh

C'mon people...if you're going to take the time to do a review, take the extra 30 seconds to make sure you have your facts straight.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #28 on: April 23, 2014, 07:51:41 AM
How about reviewers giving incorrect information or otherwise not knowing what they are talking about?   :ahhh

C'mon people...if you're going to take the time to do a review, take the extra 30 seconds to make sure you have your facts straight.

Or people who don't know the exact name of the product they're reviewing - like- shooting a Maxpeditoin CMC wallet and calling it a Spartan all the time... or sth.

us Offline David

Reply #29 on: April 23, 2014, 08:48:36 AM
Loooooooooooooong winded blowhards, unboxings   ::), People who cant think of what to say next. Uh  :think: well uh   :tu:  next we  :think: come to think of it   :think:  uh   :think:  if you look right here   :think:  you can see what I'm uh    :think:   talkin bout   :think: be sure and tune in next time as we uh continue   :think:  what the....................................... :D    :D    :D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD