Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What do you HATE seeing in review videos?

N_N_R · 160 · 7068

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: What do you HATE seeing in review videos?
Reply #60 on: April 27, 2014, 09:05:50 AM
Despite the humor in this thread, I'm getting a great idea as to what folks do that I continue to try to stay away from. Most of the time it's just in a effort to present as good a piece of content as possible. However when viewers point out specifics, it's good for me to actively think about what I may let slip.

Anyone care to critique my lame videos? http://youtube.com/sticktodrum

Don't be too harsh.. :)

Actually, the EDC one I saw (sorry, I'm not into SAKs) is superb :tu:

Btw, Just thought of another thing I hate........... maybe it's.. well, gender-specific, but I really hate seeing guys' crotches in vids.. lol. I mean, if I wanted to look at that, there are other YT channels... lol. No need to put your flashlight, MT or whatever else on/in front of your ... um.. "middle parts".

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #61 on: April 27, 2014, 01:22:48 PM
Despite the humor in this thread, I'm getting a great idea as to what folks do that I continue to try to stay away from. Most of the time it's just in a effort to present as good a piece of content as possible. However when viewers point out specifics, it's good for me to actively think about what I may let slip.

Anyone care to critique my lame videos? http://youtube.com/sticktodrum

Don't be too harsh.. :)

Are there any specific videos you want to review ( :D ) ?
I just saw the Alox Bantam video and there were some points I want to mention:
You showed the Cadet and Bantam side-by-side, why didn't you show the width of both in the same scene?
You did not mention that the combo-tool is more prone to bending when used as screwdriver.
A scale would have been a nice addition as you were talking about the measurements.
Otherwise lighting, your speech pattern, the background were good. A little too much hands in the picture for my taste (Ok when you show the opneing etc, but if you talk about the dimension, maybe just rotate the knife and place it on the table instead of holding it for longer).

That's what I thought, I hope this helps.

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #62 on: April 27, 2014, 01:32:59 PM
No specific ones really. The Kershaw Camber review is the latest though. Although, the SAK videos aren't reviews, they're more just highlight videos to show the configurations. That's a project I'm working on, since there weren't really any good ones on YouTube.

I appreciate the feedback gents. :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 01:37:25 PM by sticktodrum »
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #63 on: May 07, 2014, 09:50:48 PM
I don't know why when people make light reviews, they have that burning desire to shine the light and test all the modes right in front of the camera and blind whoever had the misfortune to watch their vid...

I watched a bunch of flashlight videos tonight and I think I need to see an eye doc.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #64 on: May 07, 2014, 10:15:13 PM
First and foremost, I hate bad sound and lighting. Worst is the background humming or buzzing over someone standing fifty feet from the stinkin' mic. Second worst is crappy lighting. Wind noise is also annoying.

The next most annoying thing is 12-year-olds (or even some adults) reviewing something that they have NO IDEA what it is. This happens a surprising amount with MTs, where people don't know the difference between fish scalers and saws. Don't have any clue what an awl/reamer is, or say something about a product that is flatly wrong.

I hate when people stop in the middle of a video to yell at their dog/children/whatever. Please edit that out.

'Umms' don't bother me, not nearly as much as 'like'.
"I, like, really think this is... like... a great product. I like, really like it." Urge... to... murder... rising...

Nutnfancy. Period. STFU, man! It's a smurfing pistol, NO ONE should talk for 45 minutes about it! Worse, NO ONE should go on about how they are totally unbiased, keepin' it real, etc. AS IF you're the only person that has non biased reviews. And the number of imitators he's spawned has, by itself, made me want to strangle him. Reference the '12-year-olds not knowing what they're talking about'. On the positive side, he comes prepared, edits out the worst of his mistakes, and uses adequate sound/lighting. Massively worst of all was his little hissy fit he threw when Victorinox wouldn't do a special run cadet for his channel, where he claimed he had done Vic such a service by selling so many of their products. Whaaaa! Bawl-bagger. The world should pay ME for saving them money on buying that crappy Les Stroud tool. Give me money, Whaaa!

Unboxing. One-handed. More murderous urges. Add to this people who announce the super-spiffy knife they use to open the box with. "I know I'm reviewing Twinkies, but I'll open the package with my Qualtron Titanium Bonded, Unobtanium, Lightning Action, Combat Folder." Shove your pretentious blade smurfing up your excretion orifice!

"Boys be quiet, the men are talking". If a line like this or anything similar shows up, I can assume the person making the video is a Billy Bob with just enough brain power to make their toes wiggle, and I move on to the next video.

:rant:

I think that's it for now.  :D

scotland Offline gardenvalley

Reply #65 on: May 07, 2014, 11:17:02 PM
More hatefulness: traffic noise/music in the background, and the pets! Isn`t it just the CUTEST THING EVER when the mutt wanders into shot and has to be shooed away. Awwww. Yeah, I`ll shoe it away alright. Right.
Thi`s signature contain`s no superfluou`s apostrophe`s

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #66 on: May 07, 2014, 11:45:01 PM
More hatefulness: traffic noise/music in the background, and the pets! Isn`t it just the CUTEST THING EVER when the mutt wanders into shot and has to be shooed away. Awwww. Yeah, I`ll shoe it away alright. Right.

I saw a pretty cool german knife review:
A GEK EDC (German Expedition Knife) tested by gutting and cleaning a deer. Only problem: The hunter's dog treid every 20 seconds to get a tasty bite from the deer. I found that so cute, I had a laughing fit as the liver was cut out for him, and instead he proceeded to glance at the filets and ignored the liver thrown to him. Hunter: "You stupid dog!"  :rofl:

But normally I would like things like this to be edited out. I think most problems stem from people not editing their videos.
You should review it once, cut out the annoying bits and dreadful silent pauses and maybe correct the brightness and sound before uploading.  :rant:

scotland Offline gardenvalley

Reply #67 on: May 08, 2014, 12:05:03 AM
Don`t you just love auto exposure? My favourites are the the reviews of small black things (MaxP pouch) on a nice white background :facepalm:
I can only assume that not only is editing an alien concept to some reviwers but they don`t actually look at what they`ve shot before upoading it. "Yeah, that`ll be fantastic, they`ll love it"

I need to calm down a bit. It`s OK, here`s the nurse coming now. "Nurse! My medicine, quick!
Thi`s signature contain`s no superfluou`s apostrophe`s

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #68 on: May 08, 2014, 08:48:26 AM
I can only assume that not only is editing an alien concept to some reviwers but they don`t actually look at what they`ve shot before upoading it. "Yeah, that`ll be fantastic, they`ll love it"

The only feasible explanation without attesting them the awareness of a five-year-old!  :rant:

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #69 on: May 09, 2014, 09:53:02 AM
Yep the popular Nutnfancy guy isn't my fave reviewer either... I don't know how he gets so many views. Just watched a review on the Juice S2 and it drove me nuts. First of all he calls the video LM jS2 and this is hwat you expect to see. However, he starts with talking about a knife and after a minute and a half says this is NOT what he's gonna talk about. Then he finally takes out the damn Juice, but just holds it there without showing wtf that tool is while talking about whatnot other LM tools and saying how they are NOT what the Juice is. Wonderful.... for the patient guys out there.

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #70 on: May 09, 2014, 11:31:17 AM
I suspect his market is more audiobooks than videos. Seriously, if I start watching some of his videos I unvoluntarily open some other tabs and browse while listening.

Maybe it is also a remedy for people with sleeping problems? IdK  :rofl:

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #71 on: May 09, 2014, 12:15:06 PM
I suspect his market is more audiobooks than videos. Seriously, if I start watching some of his videos I unvoluntarily open some other tabs and browse while listening.

Maybe it is also a remedy for people with sleeping problems? IdK  :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:  :tu:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #72 on: May 11, 2014, 06:22:53 AM
Yes, I can not understand why anybody would watch a review like that:

Guys .......... You don't watch reviews like that because of the knives, you watch reviews like that because of the GIRLS!

:D

But, LOL, I watched it for a while... and all the: OOOOH, WOOOOW, Awwwwwwwww!!, .... just... Oh mYYyy GooOOShhh.... :facepalm:

You named it!  :tu:
If I would not have seen the video in this thread, I would have seen the first 10 seconds at most...
I can't stand girls talking like this in real life, hell am I watching them on the internet...  :rant:
YMMV of course, guys.

I can stand women like this if I have a chance, but if not it gets real annoying real quick.  ;)
I'm the milk man!

us Offline hrvstmn31

Reply #73 on: May 12, 2014, 04:50:18 AM
I think my biggest pet peeve in reviews mind this is more predominate in videogame reviews but it's where they talk as quietly as humanly possible and when they stop speaking the background audio shoots through the roof.
Also sticktodrum I've seen your reviews around the bend and they're definantly part of the cream atop the ocean of crap that youtube predominatly is.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 05:02:11 AM by hrvstmn31 »

hr Offline styx

Reply #74 on: May 12, 2014, 03:06:03 PM
Lynn hit every nail I could count on the head except one - use. I like seeing footage of the product in use or at least that it has some sign of use on it. Sadly many reviews are done straight out of the box. How the hell do you know it's the best thing ever if you've had it for all of 30 seconds?

And even worse is that those are the same people who will Bobba Fett their gear (yes that's a thing, look it up on youtube ;) ). Some things won't show a lot of signs that they have been used but they will have a scratch here and there or they will at least be dirty.

In the words of George Carlin “I don't have pet peeves - I have major psychotic smurfing hatreds.”
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #75 on: May 12, 2014, 03:40:26 PM
In only the first 2-3 minutes there were well over a dozen UMMMMMss... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKzpEUhlerw

Sorry, guy, to post you here, but... yeah. I won't be able to watch the other 10 minutes...  :facepalm:

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #76 on: May 12, 2014, 05:31:06 PM
In only the first 2-3 minutes there were well over a dozen UMMMMMss... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKzpEUhlerw

Sorry, guy, to post you here, but... yeah. I won't be able to watch the other 10 minutes...  :facepalm:

:ahhh :ahhh

They could use this for torturing...you know?  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #77 on: May 12, 2014, 11:10:36 PM
In only the first 2-3 minutes there were well over a dozen UMMMMMss... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKzpEUhlerw

:ahhh :ahhh

They could use this for torturing...you know?  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Yes. This is horrible!
"Or, ahem, hm, and awesome like, ahem, whatever."
This guy should work in an greenlandish igloo, anywhere there is an abundance of cold air and a need of warm air. Preferrebly a land with no english speaking inhabitants.  :rant:

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #78 on: May 14, 2014, 01:02:39 PM
Now I found a very promising video, Leatherman Juice Multitools, on a channel named Multi-Tool School...... the video is over 13 minutes, however for the first 5 minutes the guy gives shoutouts, eats, drinks, does stuff and I kinda moved to another video before having seen a single MT...

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #79 on: May 15, 2014, 09:14:41 AM
Haven't you seen the orange multhai-tool he holds into the the camera for a second at the beginning, before he starts the intresteen cooking?  :rofl:

What accent is this? I heard some americans with that melodic speech pattern, but I can't figure out where they are from. If you need the link:
Show content

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #80 on: May 15, 2014, 12:27:24 PM
Haven't you seen the orange multhai-tool he holds into the the camera for a second at the beginning, before he starts the intresteen cooking?  :rofl:

smurf, I'd missed that! I also heard something extremely informative around the 2nd minute: Leatherman Juice is... a MUlTI-TOOl.

Wow.

Okay, he does show some mTs after the 6th minute, I just am not patient enough....

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #81 on: May 15, 2014, 02:21:16 PM
I just sat through the whole thing/desaster/scholary example/warning to videotapers/smurfing smurf.

How can you tell what you are doing if you just need to tilt the camera a little and everyone could see?
How can you stick a juice in front of a camera facing a panoramic view of the valley and expect it to focus?
Why do you fold out a blade and then hold the damn MT so high, that the viewer still only can see the body?

I know what we should do:
-Make a list of all errors you could do in a review video.
-spread them out into a Bingo board
-have fun marking errors!  :D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #82 on: May 15, 2014, 03:22:11 PM
On the accent: I'm from southern Ohio, and his accent sounds (rural) Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia (although not deep in the mountains). There are Southern sounding bits to it, but not entirely. There's a weird thing about accents where certain aspects of what's usually considered 'Southern' sounds creep into the accent when the person is actually 'Rural'. The closer you get to cities... sometimes even in the south, the less noticeable these sometimes become.

My guess then is Southern Ohio, or Kentucky, rural but not deep rural, or West Virginia but not rural.

Even among people familiar with a number of U.S. accents, they can sometimes be hard to pinpoint.

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #83 on: May 15, 2014, 05:44:32 PM
Thank you Lynn!  :salute:

I thought that's somewhere along the Mason-Dixie-Line, but then he lost the accent sometimes, and I was like  ???

And yes, in Germany you also find heavier accents in the villages than in the cities. I think there are less people moving in and out from other regions in the rural areas. I know from my grandparents, that the accents where a lot stronger and common before the war. But since 1945 it was all shaken up and has been ever since, with less and less farmers and factory workers who were tied down to one place.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #84 on: May 19, 2014, 09:57:23 PM
I just recalled one of those things that makes me crazy.

When people say 'utilize' instead of 'use'.

Like they're trying to sound extra awesome. No, you just sound like a mall ninja. And you're using it wrong, virtually all of the time.

http://writing.wikinut.com/Writing-Tip%3A-Use-and-Utilize-are-Not-the-Same/1c4q0-bs/

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #85 on: May 19, 2014, 10:43:40 PM
Hm, interesting. Never thought about the USE/Utilize thing. But I do hear lots of guys use "utilize", indeed.

What I just saw and really hate in videos is... guys calling their tools/whatevers "sexy", "hot", claiming they attract ladies with their MTs and such .......... well............. if you have nothing else to show... sure, I bet all ladies will be staring at your MT.........

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #86 on: May 23, 2014, 08:54:57 AM
Hm, interesting. Never thought about the USE/Utilize thing. But I do hear lots of guys use "utilize", indeed.

What I just saw and really hate in videos is... guys calling their tools/whatevers "sexy", "hot", claiming they attract ladies with their MTs and such .......... well............. if you have nothing else to show... sure, I bet all ladies will be staring at your MT.........

Is that a Surge in your pocket or are you just happy to see me.  :D

EDIT: I just got deja vu about a comment I made along these lines and someone said I have a Classic in my pocket.  :rofl:
I'm the milk man!

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #87 on: May 23, 2014, 09:59:42 AM
LOL

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #88 on: May 23, 2014, 11:31:52 AM

EDIT: I just got deja vu about a comment I made along these lines and someone said I have a Classic in my pocket.  :rofl:
Who?
;D

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #89 on: May 23, 2014, 03:15:02 PM

Brilliant!  :rofl:
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%