Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Most Useful Features of a Key Chain Multi-Tool

Offline andmunn

• New User
Most Useful Features of a Key Chain Multi-Tool
on: April 29, 2014, 09:43:13 PM
Hello All,

I've been looking to purchase a simple "multi-tool" to hang off my key-chain as an everyday light carry. That being said, i'm not sure what to go with, what size, and what features are most important? For certain, i want this to be able to open bottles :)

Looking for some suggestions!

Thanks,
Andrew.

00 Offline jacktrades

Re: Most Useful Features of a Key Chain Multi-Tool
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 10:10:26 PM
For bottles, and breaking tape of boxes, and some kind of screw capabilities, the brewzer is light and very convenient. A little pry bar too.
For a multitool, the Micra is good enough, offers quite a lot, but is a bit heavier and beefier than the above. Of course, it may prove superior.
I'd go with the Micra, you get scissors, knife, screwdrivers, bottle opener, nail file, ruler, tweezers, that is a lot.
As a side note, the Philips head found on the rambler and the minichamp's bottle opener is the Phillips screws dream..
And the rambler is lighter and smaller than the Micra, the second works better for me not being attached to the keys at all, while the first is not that noticeable.
Hard choice...

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 10:23:05 PM
Most important question:
How much weight and bulk is acceptable as keychain, for YOU?

It is known fact that as the weight & bulk increase, you will have more and better functions off the MT.
Below are some MT's which members here love, sorted by weight & bulk.

Utili‑Key, Doohickey, Brewzer /  Vic Classic SD, LM Style / LM Micra, Squirt, Gerber Dime

« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 11:12:01 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 10:26:38 PM
^^What Kampfer said - the size you'll find acceptable is important, especially when it's gonna be on your keychain. Personally, I'd prefer a SAK with a main blade and a bottle opener. Or just a "dedicated bottle-opener" and a small keychain-knife for a few bucks?

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 10:29:16 PM
I used to use a victorinox mechanic as keychain,  :o.
But since I EDC a dedicated full size MT now so any keychain MT over 1 oz became unacceptable, to ME.
So mechanic goes, Utili‑Key stays.

what features are most important?
Only you can answer that question.
Knife, pliers, scissors, your pick. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 11:12:34 PM by Kampfer »

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 10:30:18 PM
Welcome to MTO, btw.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 11:10:43 PM
welcome to the forum! :cheers:

first of all, I agree with Kampfer that it is important to decide how much weight/bulk is acceptable to YOU on YOUR keychain. :)

another question I'd ask is what else will you be carrying? if this keychain tool will be in addition to a larger MT or SAK, then I'd recommend a small OPMT, such as the Brewzer that others have recommended or the TT Chopper. I've had a Chopper on my keychain for almost a year now, and it makes a great addition to my EDC. (I'm usually carrying either a modded Leatherman Charge or a Skeletool CX.)

if you're intending this to be more of a standalone EDC, then I'd recommend a smaller MT. the Leatherman Micra and Squirt PS4 are great options, although if you want a better bottle opener, you may want to consider either the Gerber Dime or the Leatherman Style CS/PS. :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 01:00:22 AM
I don't know the weights off hand but the Dime and LM PS4 are 2 great tools as both have scissors and are plier based.  If you cant take the weight then a OPMT is your best bet and Doohickey/Brewzer definitely stand out tho the Gerber Shard is one of my favorites.  You could go with the LM Carabiner and certainly the Micra cannot be forgotten.  Good luck with all the choices and Welcome to the forum.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 04:42:28 AM
What features are most useful to have on a key chain (or any) MT is a matter of personal preference.  That said, I would consider a knife blade, bottle opener, and a couple of screwdrivers a good basic start.  I also find scissors and tweezers extremely handy, but YMMV.

Another factor I think is important is whether the key chain MT will be the only tool you carry.  If so, a tool that is has a fair number of functions (for a key chain MT, anyway) would be my choice; something like a Vic Rambler, LM Squirt, or LM Micra.

If the key chain MT is complementing another tool, then knowing what features the other tool has (and what it might be lacking) obviously becomes paramount.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 01:35:04 AM
How big are you thinking? And this is depending on your perspective- some people think a flashlight and 58mm Vic or LM Squirt is bulky, but I've seen more than one key ring with a Mini-mag and 93 or 91mm Vic over the years. I guess it all comes down to how many keys you have and how they feel about ringmates, with your pockets getting a side vote

Right now, my keys are clipped to my bag of tricks, which is a small backpack. Just ask my bag. But if you ask my keys, the bag is attached to them, except when the car is attached to them.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 05:52:16 PM
Someone mentioned the Rambler - a great suggestion.

The Micra - also a great one to have and not much bigger/heavier than the Rambler yet offers a lot more.

The Style CS - the biggest of the 3 but easy one-hand-opening of the blade and nailfile/screwdriver.

Those are my 3 recommendations. Good luck in your search, let us know what you find. :salute:
SAW

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 05:58:13 PM
Welcome to MTO!
Forget the keyring! Get a Surge!
Rambler is a good one. So is a minichamp. Wenger make some nice one too. They are a tad bigger and easier to hold on to.

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 10:15:55 PM
Welcome to MTO!
Rambler is a good one. So is a minichamp. Wenger make some nice one too. They are a tad bigger and easier to hold on to.

live from Nate's mobile
:twak: :twak:
SAW

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 10:33:29 PM
Welcome to MTO!

live from Nate's mobile
:twak: :twak:
LMAO!!

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 06:30:32 AM
Welcome to the forum Andrew.  You've found a pretty good bunch of folks here.

I recommend you try out several tools to see which you like best.  You really can't go wrong with Leatherman or Victorinox.
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62