Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What will become of your legacy??

tosh · 57 · 5504

00 Offline gorbag

• Tapatalk User
Re: What will become of your legacy??
Reply #30 on: May 04, 2014, 04:32:18 AM
Puny humans and your entropy. Bah.  I will take my tools with me after this mudball is reduced to slag and glass.

The world belongs to the funkiest.

us Offline hrvstmn31

Reply #31 on: May 04, 2014, 05:30:03 AM
Puny humans and your entropy. Bah.  I will take my tools with me after this mudball is reduced to slag and glass.

Mmmm vitrification...anyway back to topic I drive a motorcycle as my main vehicle so I'm aware some bugger could run a red light and cream me and I don't exercise as often as I should. So I guess I would take a few things with me (I like that idea ya never know so be prepared) and I guess my grandparents can sell or distribute all worldly goods for the funeral or whatever.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: May 04, 2014, 06:25:03 AM
My wife will probably sell it all and buy wine. LOL.  Hopefully my sons are interested in them.  My 11 yr old liked trying to open and close the crunch, but hes not very tool interested.  The 3 yr old loves to get his hands on SAKs, i only let him try the bottle opener as a screwdriver. He pretends hes bob the builder.
That is so cute :)

^^^
Like  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #33 on: May 14, 2014, 05:10:21 AM
Most of mine are used.  I see a few going to relatives and the rest to a tool auction house for someone else to own.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

au Offline TheDude

• "What is the riddle of steel?"
Reply #34 on: May 17, 2014, 05:09:19 PM
I figure by the time I'm gone my son will be old enough to hock the lot and get himself a motorbike.
Eventually even McGyver got himself a Leatherman

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #35 on: May 18, 2014, 01:40:13 AM
My origional model Supertool goes in the urn with me, along with my Ka-bar and a couple of other items- I may need them on the other side, and that multi was along for too many (mis)adventures. My Supertool is semi retired because my Rebar does everything it does in a smaller package and if I ever notch the wire cutters the same way I can replace them, but even after over a year, my Rebar doesn't feel 100% me, while the ST... yeah, it's a part of me.

Everything else at this time is either being farmed out specifically to certain people, or will be up for grabs. But since everyone in my will is a cat person, maybe the ones that aren't spoken for should go to Tim.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines
Reply #36 on: July 08, 2014, 07:50:36 PM
This is intresting.  I had never think about it seriously until now.

I don't have any kids for the moment, so I guess my wife could sell them if it happends now.  I want to have kids so if it's in the time a have them I think it will be for them. 

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: July 14, 2014, 12:53:49 AM
Twelve years ago I had to do some serious thinking about this very subject.I had been diagnosed with a primitive(and very rapidly spreading once exposed to air via a biopsy)form of throat cancer.Short version:Diagnosed on Friday the 13th;a two hour operation turns into an 8 1/2 hour one;a prolonged radiation and chemotherapy treatment with much sickness and weight loss(65 lbs).
Prior to this I had made plans with several friends to help my wife dispose of my various accumulations of knives,watches,firearms,scale model cars,vintage automobiles,tools, and more in the event things didn't go as planned(which they almost didn't).Hopefully they will still be around when my demise happens.
At 70 I hope to be around for a few more years anyway although nothing is set in stone.Making such preparations(in writing)is a good idea to minimize the hassle that is bound to occur.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: July 16, 2014, 08:54:06 PM
Whew, that sounded too close for comfort Ray! :o Glad you pulled through okay. But yeah, sooner or later time catches up to all of us. I suppose it would be a good idea to start writing something down for when the inevitable happens. :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline novice

• Continuous EDC Refinement
Reply #39 on: February 22, 2015, 01:53:53 AM
Yes, this thread is quite old but I wanted to add something not quite covered so far. Assuming I do not get hit by a bus tomorrow and that I make it to ripe old age dying quietly in my sleep, this is what I have in mind -

For many years I've bought, sold, collected, traded, flipped, scrounged, sniped, or hoarded various things. Some collections have come & stayed while others were tried on then moved back out the door. There are a few things however I've always kept. The main one is knives and I have a lot of them. Over the years I've branched into one area or another for knives but my routine has pretty much been the same. Curate, condense, and improve the quality. My collection is pretty good (but it does pale in comparison to others.). That said, I could fit it all into a few suitcases if I had to. That will come in handy someday.

So I figure years from now when I've retired, I will sell the collection off. Probably at a flea market or show every week or two. Since what I have is portable, my spindly old man arms should be able to tote it about. The proceeds will pay for dinners, trips, movies, or whatever my wife & I need to supplement our living standard. Some of the pieces will certainly go to my son and daughter but it won't be passed on in bulk. As I often buy at estate sales after the owner/collector/hoarder has passed, I've seen first hand what happens to in depth collections when no one knows how to dispose of their things. The family gets pennies on the dollar. I intend to be the one that extracts the true value from my things and put that towards my family. At least that is my plan, such as it is.
Hi, I'm new.

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: March 15, 2015, 10:46:39 PM
I only have a small collection which all but one will go to my children if they want them, one will be buried with me for the next adventure.
Weasel

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: March 15, 2015, 11:47:32 PM
I only have a small collection which all but one will go to my children if they want them, one will be buried with me for the next adventure.

Which one?

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: March 16, 2015, 12:01:53 AM
Swisschamp or craftsman both great saks
Weasel

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: March 16, 2015, 12:10:33 AM
Swisschamp or craftsman both great saks

Thanks for sharing.  :cheers:

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: March 16, 2015, 12:14:35 AM
Your welcome buddy  :salute:
Weasel

sg Offline red_rider_1979

Reply #45 on: March 17, 2015, 04:16:05 AM
No children yet but planning to have a maximum of two. With that in mind, currently I'm buying alox SAKs in pairs so that they can be divided equally among them when I'm gone. As for the other models which do not have duplicates, my wife will give some to my nephews and nieces and sell off the remainder on ebay. I'm still not decided on which SAK to be buried with me. If it is for sentimental reasons, I will bring my hardwood craftsman. If it is for practical reasons, I will bring the XAVT.

us Offline rescue4500

Reply #46 on: March 18, 2015, 08:50:05 PM
My two favorite tools are my wave in which was on my side when I married my wife and when our daughter was born... my other is my swiss camper in which my wife got me for our first anniversary.... those will go to my daughter.. buried with me will be my rebar which I only use for hiking bc im hoping there will be many hiking trails on the other side.. the rest im sure my wife or daughter will sale unless I can turn my daughter into a multi tool lover like her father.
If you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. -Unknown Author

us Offline valvestem125

• You only go this way once.
Reply #47 on: November 10, 2016, 02:47:55 AM
Mine, more than likely will end up in a big roll-off dumpster, or in the pockets of the workers hired to clean out my house after I kick the bucket.  I am the last one of my family, a widower with no close men friends anymore.  Don't feel bad. It's the way I ended up, never expected it this way, but there is nothing I can do about it now. I lost my Wife of 38 years back in Feb of 2015, so life for me now is day to day, enjoying it as best I can.  Sucks getting old BTW.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 02:53:47 AM by valvestem125 »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: November 10, 2016, 05:13:22 AM
Mine, more than likely will end up in a big roll-off dumpster, or in the pockets of the workers hired to clean out my house after I kick the bucket.  I am the last one of my family, a widower with no close men friends anymore.  Don't feel bad. It's the way I ended up, never expected it this way, but there is nothing I can do about it now. I lost my Wife of 38 years back in Feb of 2015, so life for me now is day to day, enjoying it as best I can.  Sucks getting old BTW.

It's most unfortunate that you are so far away. I have lots of questions and nobody to ask.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #49 on: November 10, 2016, 05:21:42 AM
I know my son is already excited about SAKs in general... Boy, the look on his face when he got his first one (bladeless rambler) says it all... Has since been asking when he can get his hands on one with an actual blade...

Already imagining the look on his face when he gets "the collection"...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #50 on: November 10, 2016, 07:19:31 AM

You can always write up a will and designate who will receive your collection.  Maybe a local boy scout troop?  Maybe some local fishing club?
Esse Quam Videri

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #51 on: November 10, 2016, 10:45:32 AM

+1 on what zoid said. Maybe you could make it a point to find a person around you that's worthy of leaving your collection to?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 11:27:43 AM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #52 on: November 10, 2016, 11:16:10 AM

+1 on what zoid said. Maybe you could make it a point to find a person worthy of leaving your collection to?

Just to be clear, I have no interest in any collection, only wanted to ask for some advice on dealing with grief.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #53 on: November 10, 2016, 11:27:21 AM

+1 on what zoid said. Maybe you could make it a point to find a person worthy of leaving your collection to?

Just to be clear, I have no interest in any collection, only wanted to ask for some advice on dealing with grief.

I hope I didn't sound like I was insinuating anything! :think: I'll modify my message to make it clearer.

I only meant that usually there's plenty of things you can learn from people who have lived longer than you if you just ask the right questions. :tu:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #54 on: November 10, 2016, 11:31:07 AM

I hope I didn't sound like I was insinuating anything! :think: I'll modify my message to make it clearer.

I only meant that usually there's plenty of things you can learn from people who have lived longer than you if you just ask the right questions. :tu:

I did read it as two separate sentences but thought it best to add a note to be safe.

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #55 on: June 11, 2017, 10:45:34 PM

dang, sorry to hear that buddy.
life is life a box of chocolates!
me n the wife split up and i have many in the family very sick.
its alright, you gotta keep chuggin' along and its never too late to follow your passions and dreams.
Quality Control
Materials
Design

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: June 11, 2017, 11:40:11 PM
Well I gave my brother a pst,  My nephew my swisschamp ,my wife's got a micra that she really likes, both my younger daughters have a sak and Mora each,as for my Khukuri's  and other knives and MT's I hope they share them and remember how much these little things meant to me,I'm sure my youngest will have all my fishing gear and maglites  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%