Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pocket PowerpPlier questions

us Offline WastedNihilist

Pocket PowerpPlier questions
on: May 05, 2014, 01:57:08 PM
Hi. I'm in search of a new multi-tool following the loss of my sog powerlock. It gave me years of great service. I've been lost without it. The lady is getting tired of seeing me mope around mumbling about multi-tools. The only issues I had with it were the flaps. They added more steps to accessing the tools. And they would slide forward during heavy use of the pliers.

So after a lot of research and frustration with tools that just don't fit the bill, I think I've settled on the sog pocket powerplier. It fits my budget, and I thought I'd give something a little smaller a try. I really only need a few tools including bits, a file and a can opener. I find bottle openers pretty useless since I can open a bottle with pretty much anything that has an edge including the plier itself.

How does the ppp compare to the powerlock? Will there be a notable difference in semi-hard use? Does the ppp eat up your hands? Also is there anyway to put a saw on it or maybe wire strippers? I really have no use for a knife or scissors on a multi-tool. I carry at least 2 knives with good blade steel at any given time and I've never found myself desiring scissors when I had a good sharp knife in hand.

Thanks for looking.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Pocket PowerpPlier questions
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 03:31:04 PM
The PPP is smaller. So, it will not have the same leverage as a Power Lock. My guess is that there would be SOME difference in semi-hard use.

The handles don't have the covers. That's both good and bad. Less steps to get to the tools, and no additional parts to lose, but the covers on the Power lock DO make the handles more comfortable with hard use.

SOG multitools can all be easily customized. The parts are interchangeable. You can go to the SOG website and get whatever tools you want to add to a pocket powerplier, so long as the all fit in the tool. There ARE a limited number of 'long' tool slots on the PPP. You could have a saw and wire stripper, but you'd have to give up the blade AND the file to get them.

Hope this helps some.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 04:11:02 PM
Why waste your money on a PPP when you can get a Rebar fairly cheap  ???

The Rebar has rolled edges to save your hands and has all the tools you might need. :tu:

The PPP will just eat up your hands :td:
SAW

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 04:16:03 PM
If you drive a lot of screws the Paladin PT-510 version of the PPP has gear covers which will be a lot more comfortable.  Unfortunately they are out of production and therefore can be hard to find (and often more expensive).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 09:46:11 PM
The PPP is smaller. So, it will not have the same leverage as a Power Lock. My guess is that there would be SOME difference in semi-hard use.

The handles don't have the covers. That's both good and bad. Less steps to get to the tools, and no additional parts to lose, but the covers on the Power lock DO make the handles more comfortable with hard use.

SOG multitools can all be easily customized. The parts are interchangeable. You can go to the SOG website and get whatever tools you want to add to a pocket powerplier, so long as the all fit in the tool. There ARE a limited number of 'long' tool slots on the PPP. You could have a saw and wire stripper, but you'd have to give up the blade AND the file to get them.

Hope this helps some.

Thanks LeFey. I checked out the accessories on the sog website. The saw and wire strippers aren't listed for the ppp. Will they fit anyways?

Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 09:52:01 PM

The Rebar has rolled edges to save your hands and has all the tools you might need. :tu:

The rebar looks great with more features than the ppp, but the main selling point for me is the compound leverage. I would like to try out a plier without compound leverage later on. But for now I think I'll stick to what I know and trust.
Thanks sawman.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 11:40:41 PM

The rebar looks great with more features than the ppp, but the main selling point for me is the compound leverage. I would like to try out a plier without compound leverage later on. But for now I think I'll stick to what I know and trust.
Thanks sawman.
Compound leverage is a neat thing but what it did for me awhile back was break the jaws of my PowerLock's pliers!  :ahhh
SAW

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 03:44:59 PM
Thanks LeFey. I checked out the accessories on the sog website. The saw and wire strippers aren't listed for the ppp. Will they fit anyways?

You might want to wait for a more authoritative answer, but I'm pretty certain they will.

Also, I sent you a PM.

Also-also... oooooh... someone commented on my youtube can opener video! LOL

Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 12:59:50 AM
I just found my powerlock a couple minutes ago. Now I remember I was using it for some chain link work. It was sitting outside for over a month. I just bought a ppp yesterday too.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 01:10:31 AM by WastedNihilist »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 01:17:16 AM
And it just went into the mail. So...  :shrug:

Well... i guess you'll have a back-up. So, you know... :tu:

Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 01:53:41 AM
No problem. Happy to try a new multitool.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 12:46:16 PM
Glad you found your powerlock.

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 12:50:42 PM

You might want to wait for a more authoritative answer, but I'm pretty certain they will.

Also, I sent you a PM.

Also-also... oooooh... someone commented on my youtube can opener video! LOL
They should fit, but they have to be against the handle so they will clear the plierhead. You might need a small spacer for the saw because it is tad thinner than the file. The wire stripper I have no idea about. Don't have one of those.

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 01:16:05 PM
You may want to search for reviews on the SOG Wire Strippers before expending too much time or money on them.  I have a vague idea that some people didn't think too much of them (or it might be just my old, addled mind playing tricks on me).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 02:56:41 PM
You may want to search for reviews on the SOG Wire Strippers before expending too much time or money on them.  I have a vague idea that some people didn't think too much of them (or it might be just my old, addled mind playing tricks on me).
Yea. I couldn't really find much of any info on the wire strippers. I'll look some more. But if they're not great they're probably not worth it. Just seemed like a convenience rather than finding dedicated wire strippers or making do without.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 03:26:29 PM
Yea. I couldn't really find much of any info on the wire strippers. I'll look some more. But if they're not great they're probably not worth it. Just seemed like a convenience rather than finding dedicated wire strippers or making do without.
This was the only one I could find:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=14530.0

Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 02:21:40 PM
Well I've had the PPP a little over a week now. The first thing I noticed is how smooth they open. One handed opening is a breeze. There is very little discomfort with the coverless handles. I think the handles being narrower helps, if that makes any sense. have managed to pinch myself between the handles a few times though. But I think that just needs some getting used to.

Overall I tend to reach for my PowerPliar instead of the PPP when I need to work on something. The extra leverage is worth the extra weight for me. But my girlfriend has already asked for the PPP. So it won't be left in a drawer.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 03:14:49 PM
.... I checked out the accessories on the sog website. The saw and wire strippers aren't listed for the ppp. Will they fit anyways?

I guess you can now investigate and answer your own question  :pok:  ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%