Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SuperTool

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
SuperTool
on: December 27, 2006, 09:06:00 AM
I got a new LM SuperTool today and while reading the back of the blisterpack it kept saying the all tools lock. I didn't understand I was under the impression that the SuperTool was just a bigger version of the PST and the tools didn't lock. And that the SuperTool 200 was the first LM with locking tools.  After opening the back there was a sticker on the side of the tools explaining how to unlock a tool by opening another tool. It seems like a simple yet effective locking system for a multitool. Any of you guys have any problems with the SuperTool locking system?
"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: SuperTool
Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 12:19:11 PM
Not yet- but then I haven't carried it terribly often.  It can be a bit of a pain to have to open another tool to unlock the first one, which would be my guess as to why Leatherman dropped that design.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 12:41:52 PM
I used a Leatherman SuperTool for many years and still do.  It is a rugged, dependable tool -- perhaps the best Leatherman made.  Haven't had any locking system failures.

But, like Defender wrote, releasing the lock requires extra effort.  You shouldn't be in a hurry, because you can cut yourself if you try to open a second blade too fast and put your fingers in the wrong place.  Been there, done that.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 11:05:37 PM
Just after playing with it for a couple of minutes I figured that safely closing the blades is something to consider.
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 11:07:41 PM
How many stitches did you need? :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 11:09:44 PM
After cutting myself with my LM Charge one time I have learned to be very careful when playing with new tools for the first time :D
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 11:13:31 PM
Yeah, I have gotten bites from more than a few SAKs and LM's!  The Juice models for some reason seem to be bloodthirstier than most!

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 02:03:11 AM
..........After opening the back there was a sticker on the side of the tools explaining how to unlock a tool by opening another tool. It seems like a simple yet effective locking system for a multitool............

Y'know what seems strange to me? Check out Tim Leatherman's original patent for the PST tool. He applied for it in 1980. Figure 6 in that patent shows the blade locking method was considered way back then. Yet Leatherman Tool Group did not use that "simple yet effective" feature until the Super Tool was introduced in 1994.

I wonder why they waited so long?

* lock.jpg (Filesize: 95.21 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 02:08:26 AM
My guess would be the same reasons anyone avoids anything- too expensive or too difficult.

Tim Leatherman may not have actually invented the multitool, but he is a genius in his own right.  It's very likely that he envisioned an idea like that, but due to the constraints of funding at the time (after all, who could have forseen the success of the original PST?) he was probably forced to shelf the idea to keep costs down.  Later, when the tool craze hit full swing and other manufacturers were offering locking tools, well he probably dusted off alot of old drawings to see what he could use.

At least, that would be my guess...  Until we actually get granted an interview with the man himself, I imagine we'll never really know!

Def

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 02:28:39 AM
Maybe the public wasn't ready for such an advanced design?
Yabba dabba doo!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 09:07:05 PM
Looking in the red circled area of that patent drawing again, (above) it's interesting to note that even back then Tim Leatherman imagined the need for locking positions at 45-degrees and 90-degrees as well.

I don't think Leatherman tools have ever had that option though have they? I know we were talking about the SOG phillips screwdriver in another thread, with its 90-degree locking notch, but I don't remember any Leatherman's that could do this?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 04:23:52 AM
This is very interesting that the locking idea was that old :o It tool Tim 11 years to bring that design to fruition :o Glad he did it is still a good sturdy lock system albeit a little tedious ;)

Sorry but I had to bring this oldie back :D

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 05:01:48 AM
Yes its an interesting locking system. While the locks work good they are labor intensive. I was once showing my brother how to unlock the ST and had just told him you got to be careful so you dont cut your fingers and then proceeded to cut the !*?# out of my thumb with the SE blade.
I wonder why it was never used on the PST? Maybe they didnt think it was needed or didnt want to risk sales on a proven performer.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 05:29:59 AM
The PST was smaller so I guess they figured it could handle not having a locking system :) still it would have been nice :think: of course if ppl had to unlock it like they do the SuperTool who knows it may have not caught on like it did :o

The world may never know :D

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 06:50:08 AM
This is very interesting that the locking idea was that old :o It tool Tim 11 years to bring that design to fruition :o Glad he did it is still a good sturdy lock system albeit a little tedious ;)

Sorry but I had to bring this oldie back :D
6 of those 11 years were probably the lawyers debating if there was any possible patent infringements and product liability.
I

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 08:33:45 AM
I loath the original Supertool, it put me off MT's for the better part of 10 years, and all (well mostly) because of that stupid locking system >:(
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 04:57:24 AM
I loath the original Supertool, it put me off MT's for the better part of 10 years, and all (well mostly) because of that stupid locking system >:(

:pok: :D

Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 01:55:40 PM

It is awful though, try using it with numb fingers ::)

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 04:14:03 PM

Agree mostly.  Add in the extra size, with minimal improvement over the PST and I kept my SuperTool in my desk, just in case (ie not EDC)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 03:10:39 AM

Well I work outside and my hands usually stay warmer without gloves :think: Even when it's 10-20 degrees F out they are still never numb ;) Could be why I don't mind it :) The Swisstool on the other hand I can barely get them out sometimes even when I am inside my house :D

Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 06:50:50 AM

Well I work outside and my hands usually stay warmer without gloves :think: Even when it's 10-20 degrees F out they are still never numb ;) Could be why I don't mind it :) The Swisstool on the other hand I can barely get them out sometimes even when I am inside my house :D
Count yourself lucky then mate :)

I had to ride home down frozen roads on my motorbike with my Supertool in my pocket with one of the screwdriver blades sticking out because my fingers we're too numb to use the stupid locking mech >:(, needless to say I'm very glad I didn't lob it, as having an inch of rusty (yes my ST rusted nearly on a daily basis, despite constant attention ::)) steel stab me in the side wasn't very appealing :-\

So when I got home I left the ST in my knife box until i eventually sold it, and good ridance too :)

No offence to other ST users, it was a good tool for it's day, but was lousy for an all year round motorcyclist in cold, wet weather :-\

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: May 18, 2009, 01:17:48 PM

I had to ride home down frozen roads on my motorbike with my Supertool in my pocket with one of the screwdriver blades sticking out because my fingers we're too numb to use the stupid locking mech >:(, needless to say I'm very glad I didn't lob it, as having an inch of rusty (yes my ST rusted nearly on a daily basis, despite constant attention ::)) steel stab me in the side wasn't very appealing :-\

So when I got home I left the ST in my knife box until i eventually sold it, and good ridance too :)

No offence to other ST users, it was a good tool for it's day, but was lousy for an all year round motorcyclist in cold, wet weather :-\

No offense ;) :tu: I can understand that completely :D

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #22 on: May 18, 2009, 02:51:46 PM

Was that the one you sold me ?  :D

dunc

Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 05:44:56 PM

dunc
Nope, you got my Dad's unused one :)

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #24 on: May 18, 2009, 07:24:12 PM

dunc

So mines never been really fast on a bike then ?  :(

Dunc

Reply #25 on: May 18, 2009, 08:15:30 PM
I'm afraid not mate :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: May 19, 2009, 03:56:50 AM

dunc

So mines never been really fast on a bike then ?  :(

Dunc

:D

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #27 on: May 20, 2009, 05:45:55 PM
Just random thinking but maybe another reason they didn't put locks on the original PST was so that they could sell it anywhere without legal problems. When you're just starting out you don't want to lock out any potential markets.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: May 20, 2009, 07:58:17 PM
More likely they simply didn't have the budget.  The original Mr Crunch had to be simplified somewhat for production due to excessive cost.

Def

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #29 on: May 24, 2009, 03:41:52 PM

An awful lock that works every single time, never fails and has the fewest components possible though  :pok:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Supertool is a great, zero BS tool that has great impliments and just works really well.  It does all I ask of it.
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD