Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New to SOG - which tools can you replace the blades on ?

Offline Anonymouslemming

Hi all,

I'm new to SOG, having just been pointed at them by someone after discussing removing the knife blades from a Leatherman.

Does anyone here know if you can replace any SOG part with the components at http://www.sogknives.com/type/accessories/where/sog-product-type-multi/multi--to-tool-component.html ? And does that work on all tools ?

I'd ideally like their most robust tool, but swap out the knife blades for other parts. Any advice on tools and part combos would be much appreciated.

Being that I live in the UK I need to try and get it right in one go, because with import fees, importing components one-by-one will get expensive :)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: New to SOG - which tools can you replace the blades on ?
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 05:33:03 PM
I think you are taking about the Powerlock?

Most tool can be change out. You can change the blade for a beltcutter or a wire stripper. Keep in mind, long tools like the files, saw and such need to stay on the edge of the handles and the driver and such toward the center so the tool can close properly.

live from Nate's mobile
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 05:41:49 PM
Just looking at my SOG Powerlock, you can trade the blade for a pair of scissors or belt cutter and the saw for the same thing. I think you can change the saw or knife for the wire striper too.

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 08:17:39 PM
Which tool would you change it on?

As ducttapetech said, as long as you use the long tools on the outside, you should be good. :cheers:

Also, you might get cheaper tools if you don't mind tools with Harley Davidson print on them. Some of our US members would have to help with the reshipping of those though.

Here are the links:

H-D Saw Blade for Multi-tool

File Blade for Multi-tool

Knife Blade

Serrated Blade

Phillips Screwdriver

As for UK options, I think Heinnies should help you with all you can't get from the US.

http://www.heinnie.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=price&q=sog

Offline Anonymouslemming

Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 09:03:05 PM
Just looking at my SOG Powerlock, you can trade the blade for a pair of scissors or belt cutter and the saw for the same thing. I think you can change the saw or knife for the wire striper too.

I looked at the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yG7vp2Glh8Y and it seemed to say that you can only replace the leftmost component (0:34 in the video) and that's not the blade on either of them. So I'm a little confused because the knife blade looks like the rightmost component on these.

Offline Anonymouslemming

Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 09:05:19 PM
Which tool would you change it on?

That's what I'm trying to work out... The powerlock looks like it has a number of components available - I'm just trying to work out if I can replace the knife with the wire strippers or what else is compatible in that slot. The video for the strippers says that they are only to be used on the left most slot, and the knife is on the right.

As ducttapetech said, as long as you use the long tools on the outside, you should be good. :cheers:

http://www.heinnie.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=price&q=sog

That's a real useful link thanks - looks like a good list of options there.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 10:19:59 PM
Powerlocks (well all SOGs really) are great to customise if you must have a UK legal, non-bladed, multitool.
I have a de-knifed powerlock in my grab bag so if I need to take it somewhere and forget it's there, there won't be an issue if I got searched.
you can get the tools relatively easy here (HH ;) )

Offline Anonymouslemming

Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 10:27:54 PM
Powerlocks (well all SOGs really) are great to customise if you must have a UK legal, non-bladed, multitool.
I have a de-knifed powerlock in my grab bag so if I need to take it somewhere and forget it's there, there won't be an issue if I got searched.
you can get the tools relatively easy here (HH ;) )

Would you mind sharing your current configuration with me please? I'm trying to work out what to replace the 2 blades on a powerlock with, and that video further up has got me worried about what I can add in place of the knife because so many of the tools say left slot only.

Thanks,

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 09:06:59 AM
I must say that whenever I handle SOGs - especially the older versions  I'm always left in awe. Don't get me wrong the flimsy belt cutter is a joke.  But the actual chassis i.e handles, gear mech', plier head always blows me away.

But the thin combo blade, flimsy belt cutter, pathetic scissors are in my mind no match when compared to the likes of either LM or Swisstool.

BUT.... It's THAT chassis - it's wasted. SOG really ought to redesign their internal tools and go for it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 09:50:37 AM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 07:09:44 PM
I must say that whenever I handle SOGs - especially the older versions  I'm always left in awe. Don't get me wrong the flimsy belt cutter is a joke.  But the actual chassis i.e handles, gear mech', plier head always blows me away.

But the thin combo blade, flimsy belt cutter, pathetic scissors are in my mind no match when compared to the likes of either LM or Swisstool.

BUT.... It's THAT chassis - it's wasted. SOG really ought to redesign their internal tools and go for it.
The only thing I wish they would change is the can opener and the cap lifter into a combo tool like the Leatherman. The belt cutter works good. The scissors are hit and miss. The one on mine work great. Some not so much. They do make differant blades, one thing that impresses me with there blade is the amount of spring they have in them. They will bend and spring back, other multi blades will snap. But the sogs blades don't seem to hold an edge as long. They seem more like a good scrapper.

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24