Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

It Was Bound To Happen One Day.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
It Was Bound To Happen One Day.
on: May 10, 2014, 04:44:40 AM
That day is today.All the years that I've been buying multitools I haven't received a bad one,until I received this one,which apparently slipped passed the quality control inspectors.

I received a Leatherman ST 300 and one handle is "loose as a goose".LOL. Really,one handle literally swings freely when I grip the other handle firmly. When I hold the good handle and then atke hold the other handle there is a considerable amount of lateral movement in the second handle.

It does appear that I could tighten it with the proper tool.They use the same fasteners for the plier pivot as they do for the tool pivot points.Is there such a tool available to the general public?

These are my old Leathermans but the fasteners look to be the same.

DSCN0894.JPG
* DSCN0894.JPG (Filesize: 190.99 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: It Was Bound To Happen One Day.
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 05:32:44 AM
I've just used vice grips, personally. But someone will be along with a less marring solution soon, I'm sure.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 05:56:23 AM
I'm pretty sure that the tool is almost impossible to find.

I would carefully use a vise grips.

hopefully I'm wrong.

it wouldn't be the first time.

edit you may want to heat the screw to break hold of the lock tight.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 06:06:17 AM by JAfromMn »
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline Pacu

Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 06:25:44 AM
i read here somewhere about someone using some tool they made themselves but i can't quite locate the post. Vague i know but bump for exposure. Maybe someone knows what i'm talking about.

You might email Leatherman ..asked em to tighten it up for you. They tightened my original supertool right up.
:like:    :MTO:

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 08:03:38 AM
I used a couple of cheap and nasty 6.5mm sockets to make a couple of LM spline sockets.
You just put them in the vice with the LM in between and wind the vice up to force the bolt heads into the sockets.
Provided you're not using high quality sockets, the heads of the bolts are harder and the splines cut into the sockets.

I was skeptical when I saw the original post on how to do it, but it works.

us Offline Mango808

Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 10:26:49 PM
I've bought one of those "Made in Japan" Engineer Screw Pliers (also known as Vampliers) off of ebay after reading most of the posts by Metropolicity (Skinth maker) on what he uses to take apart his LM's. Used a Wingman and the Vampliers to tighten several used LM PST tools I bought off ebay.

I've since bought a second pair of Vampliers to do the job better since the Wingman slips a little.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 11:15:21 PM
There are some really good ideas posted.

I would like an actual tool to accomplish this adjustment.

I'm looking into the Vampliers.

Thanks for the help.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 11:25:16 PM
I used a couple of cheap and nasty 6.5mm sockets to make a couple of LM spline sockets.
You just put them in the vice with the LM in between and wind the vice up to force the bolt heads into the sockets.
Provided you're not using high quality sockets, the heads of the bolts are harder and the splines cut into the sockets.

I was skeptical when I saw the original post on how to do it, but it works.

What a Great Idea

I never thought of making a socket . 

I'm going to try make a set like these one day.

Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 11:51:00 PM
I have been thinking and I wonder if one of these would work?  :think: I have personally used these (friends bit) on off size bolts or real chewed up bolts and it works great, but the Leatherman pivots probably don't have enough bite to catch. Does anyone have one to try out?

http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/image/spin_prod_255783201
I'm the milk man!

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 12:39:54 AM
I don't see anyway that tool could grasp a round headed screw,even though the screws are splined.

That socket would only be able to grasp a bolt with flat sides using their jamming principle.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 01:39:20 AM
I don't see anyway that tool could grasp a round headed screw,even though the screws are splined.

That socket would only be able to grasp a bolt with flat sides using their jamming principle.

Yea, that's what I was thinking.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 04:56:28 AM
I was able to unscrew one of the fasteners by hand.When I screwed it back in using needle nose pliers it still wouldn't tighten.So I removed it and this time I installed a lock washer and tightened it again.This solved the major problem of the handle swinging freely.It didn't resolve everything though.When you hold one handle,as the tool is in its closed position,then shake the tool it rattles.That's because the other handle still swings freely,if even only a fraction of an inch.

us Offline trouthunter

• The missing village idiot.
Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 07:45:15 PM

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 08:22:40 PM
Winning the war on knurled nuts

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,7167.0.html

That is interesting.I've thought that a spline socket may be a better choice for this application.

Since I just received this tool,I think I'll send it to Leatherman and let them repair it.Althoug there have been some good ideas presented here .

Has anyone thought of contacting Leatherman and asking where they get their tools to assemble and repair their product?

us Offline trouthunter

• The missing village idiot.
Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 06:07:56 AM

That is interesting.I've thought that a spline socket may be a better choice for this application.

Since I just received this tool,I think I'll send it to Leatherman and let them repair it.Althoug there have been some good ideas presented here .

Has anyone thought of contacting Leatherman and asking where they get their tools to assemble and repair their product?

I am betting the wont tell you or they are custom made for Leatherman.  If they were readily available the MTO Group would know where to get them.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 08:51:04 AM

I am betting the wont tell you or they are custom made for Leatherman.  If they were readily available the MTO Group would know where to get them.

I believe you are correct. I think they are either made for or by Leatherman themselves. I could be wrong and would love to hear from someone more knowledgeable than me about this.

I think a e-mail to leatherman is in order just for kicks though.  :D
I'm the milk man!

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 11:24:42 AM
I'm pretty sure the official Leatherman repairers use special sockets that Leatherman had made (by modifying standard sockets with a plasma cutter or similar process).  They wouldn't sell them to the public, but (IIRC) a couple of pairs escaped into MTo hands several years ago.  I can't remember who are the current custodians.  These were mentioned in a few MTo threads, so a search may find them.

The home-made version created by squeezing a soft socket over the knurled screws in a vice seem to work reasonably well for most people.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 10:01:40 AM
I sent Leatherman a email asking for any and all info they could give me on this as well as if they made the tool to do this in house or had them made for them. This is what I was sent back.

Thank you for contacting us with your questions.

Unfortunately, the questions you are asking are not something that we are able to provide with answers.   We are not at liberty to share names of products or sources for our parts or processes.  I’m sure you can understand the reasoning behind that decision.

Part of that reason is we do not recommend anyone take the tools apart – or make modifications to the tool - as that may void the warranty.

Thank you for your understanding of the above reasons on why I am unable to provide you with the answers you are requesting.

SoOoOoOo...... Nothing really.  :D

I think J-Sews might have some of the ones that escaped. I could be wrong about that though.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 10:03:37 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 12:53:08 PM
I think J-Sews might have some of the ones that escaped. I could be wrong about that though.

Good memory  :tu: - take a look at reply #30 in this thread:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,6314.25.html
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 07:30:42 PM

I thought so.  :tu:

Do you think these are the exact same one's Leatherman uses in there factory?
I'm the milk man!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 07:56:20 PM

Nope, they probably have a machine to do that. :D

Those sets were from a LM warranty repair shop in Netherlands I believe. Kwakster is still waiting for his set that is in possession of a UK member who's no longer active. :-\ One set is in Denmark and one in the US.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 07:58:28 PM

Nope, they probably have a machine to do that. :D

Those sets were from a LM warranty repair shop in Netherlands I believe. Kwakster is still waiting for his set that is in possession of a UK member who's no longer active. :-\ One set is in Denmark and one in the US.

Thanks for the info.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #22 on: May 15, 2014, 08:20:33 PM
I'm not so sure DaveK still has those tools. I remember a post about when he was leaving that he was going to send them to someone in the U.S. so they would have them...  :think:
SAW

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #23 on: May 15, 2014, 08:30:21 PM
I'm not so sure DaveK still has those tools. I remember a post about when he was leaving that he was going to send them to someone in the U.S. so they would have them...  :think:

He has them. Check Kwakster's sig line.

us Offline sawman

Reply #24 on: May 15, 2014, 08:32:41 PM

He has them. Check Kwakster's sig line.
I saw his signature but don't know why I remember what I do.
SAW

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: May 24, 2014, 11:22:17 PM
Well I received my ST 300 back from repair and it's still not right.

After further examination and allowing a machinist friend look at it,we've reached a conclusion.The hole that was drilled at the base of the plier head,where it attaches to the handle,is elliptical or enlarged beyond proper specs.The only way we see Leatherman correctly fixing this problem is to replace the plier head with one that has a concentric hole drilled.

I'd like to ask the opinion of members;

Since this tool was new and only in my possession for a couple of days before I became aware of a problem,should I ask for a repair or a new tool to replace this defective one?

us Offline sawman

Reply #26 on: May 25, 2014, 02:17:43 AM
Well I received my ST 300 back from repair and it's still not right.

After further examination and allowing a machinist friend look at it,we've reached a conclusion.The hole that was drilled at the base of the plier head,where it attaches to the handle,is elliptical or enlarged beyond proper specs.The only way we see Leatherman correctly fixing this problem is to replace the plier head with one that has a concentric hole drilled.

I'd like to ask the opinion of members;

Since this tool was new and only in my possession for a couple of days before I became aware of a problem,should I ask for a repair or a new tool to replace this defective one?
It sounds to me like you need to request a new tool.
SAW

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: May 25, 2014, 02:19:06 AM
I would politely explain to them you conclusion and request a replacement.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: May 25, 2014, 03:26:16 AM
It sounds to me like you need to request a new tool.
I would politely explain to them you conclusion and request a replacement.

Thanks for the input.I'll call them Tuesday and make my request in the nicest  manner possible.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: May 27, 2014, 05:59:50 PM
I had an opportunity to call Leatherman and speak to Kim in their customer service department.She apologized for the inconvenience and said she'll send a mailing label and envelope to my residence.All I have to do is put the tool in the package and ship it back to them.

She assured me that the problem will be remedied.

Keeping my finger crossed.LOL.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 06:08:54 PM by toolguy »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%