Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Weather is warming up, time to drag out the saw

jzmtl · 44 · 2474

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Weather is warming up, time to drag out the saw
on: May 11, 2014, 02:17:44 AM
So last year I bought a cheap $160 table saw to install hardwood stair treads, and it pretty much paid for itself. I figured since I have it, I might as well put it to use. Some of you may remember my thread on trying to resaw 2x4 into 1x4, then glue into board for a bed footboard, and how much pain in the butt that turned out to be.

Well this year I thought I'd start smaller, and steal a few ideas from youtube. The first was a hose hanger. While the metal one I made a few years back was somewhat artsy (hey give me a break, all I had to work with was pliers and a few bricks as anvil), it doesn't work too well since I made the front hook too far and hose would drop in the gap.

So I went and got a piece of 2x6 and glued that into a board and cut some smaller strips, and made this. Was going to leave it natural colored, but stood out too much so I painted it with some leftover deck stain.

It works a lot better I have to say, hose stays where they suppose to be. In retrospect the 2x6 is thicker than necessary, and made it wider/heavier.

Then my Mom picked up the habit of using laptop on bed, so I made her a laptop stand. I used slats instead of a board thinking it would improve air circulation, and it probably does. Except I wish I had 4 more pairs of hands (and whole bunch more clamps) when I was putting it together. Trying to keep everything aligned before glue sets was an impossible task, so my meticulously calculated sizing all went down the toilet and all the slats came out crooked.

I guess it isn't too bad for a newbie, consider they are still in one piece (so far), and not a single nail/screw was used to put them together.

Next in line is an adirondack chair, we'll see how that turns out.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Weather is warming up, time to drag out the saw
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 05:37:10 AM
Nice work!

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 06:25:29 AM
Nice job, I really like that table! JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 01:01:18 PM
Nice job there mate :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 02:30:07 PM
Those look great. :cheers:

I think I might make that hose hanger thingie myself.

Looking forward to seeing your future projects.

Watch your fingers. :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 03:25:48 PM
Yeah so long as you came away with all fingers in tact then I call it all a great success.  Kidding aside great work  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 07:00:27 PM
Hehe, thanks, I guess they look better on photo since you see fewer defects!  :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 02:35:38 AM
Looks good to me!

My fathet taught me that if I was going to build anything I should overbuild it so it'll never fail.  If I'd made that it would be 150 pounds and held together with carriage bolts.

Sometimes overkill isn't a good thing.  I'm glad you have more sense than I do!

Def 

Sent from a digital multitool

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 02:52:00 AM
Hah, if I made it last year there would be a pound of screw/nail in it. Of course using a power saw vs hand saw means that the surfaces actually meets.  :P

It's kinda fun to be able to put wood pieces together without using any metal parts. When I made the footboard last year I made a 3/8" dowel maker to join the boards, so that came in handy for the pivot pin for the legs.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 04:48:34 PM
My father was a Combat Engineer in the military and worked on the railroads before that.  If you can't run a couple of dozen tonnes of machinery over it, it isn't any good!

That having been said, that is a great job.  I really like how you got it all to fit together with no real visible seams or anything.  You really did a great job.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 10:29:59 PM
I have one of those super cheap crappy IKEA bare wood small table, and top is water stained from flower pots. I thought I might as well make it nicer looking. So I took it apart, sanded everything down, glued it back together, then stained and varnished it. Kinda screwed up the varnishing part, the water based stuff dries super fast and any brushing beyond the first few seconds leaves lots of brush marks. :(

I wanted to route some decorative edge on the top and legs, but lacking a router table it's just too much pain in the butt to do it clamped to a sawhorse.

Doesn't look like cheap IKEA stuff now at least. I have a couple others from the same line that I may give the same treatment.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 10:36:53 PM by jzmtl »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 12:02:39 PM
To see that now I'd never guess it was IKEA.

If you think brush strokes are bad then go to your local Wicker Emporium and see what their stuff is going for and how badly it appears to be finished.  Brush strokes are trendy and add character- and big $$!

Def

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 02:24:03 PM
Brush strokes are trendy and add character eh?  I'm going to try that line on a few customers.  I'll let you know how it goes over. ;)

Yes water-based polyurethanes and varnishes can set up very quickly. A little bit of distilled water or a retarder like Floetrol can increase your open time.  Just a very little bit though, or it can effect the finish and durability.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 02:27:16 PM
http://wickeremporium.ca/

Check it out.  You'd be amazed at how much a bad paint job is worth!

Def

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 02:39:01 PM

Def

I already know how much a bad paint job is worth to me.  It's worth the same as a good one in terms of revenue.  I guarantee all the products I sell for as long as you're still in the parking lot....  ::)

There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 02:49:25 PM

Def

I already know how much a bad paint job is worth to me.  It's worth the same as a good one in terms of revenue.  I guarantee all the products I sell for as long as you're still in the parking lot....  ::)

So long as you get their money, I suppose :salute:
 :rofl:
SAW

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 07:47:24 PM
Yeah, some of the "art" today, is really beyond my understanding.

I'm thinking of using a foam brush next time, since there's no bristle it would be easier to get a flat finish.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 08:47:12 PM
Well the summer plan of making patio table and adirondack chairs turned out to be a bust, always something else to do.   :-[

The only accomplishment was a folding laptop stand in front of the treadmill. I could've just bought a dollar store bracket and a piece of plywood, but why take the easy way when there's a hard one?  ::) It's off center to fit wall studs and clear the window, although probably overkill screwing it into studs.

I'm not happy with the stop block design and how it's poking out when folded up, but can't think of a way without using store bought hinges or making it way too complicated.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #18 on: October 06, 2014, 09:19:16 PM
I like it. :tu:

Might steal that idea and adapt it a bit to make a bench outside of my garage. :tu: With supporting legs fold out legs of course. ;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 11:01:58 PM by enki_ck »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: October 06, 2014, 10:59:18 PM
 :tu: nice job, I like! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #20 on: October 06, 2014, 11:28:04 PM
That's cool! I like it.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 03:55:50 AM
Thanks, now if only I'd actually put it to use.  :D

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 04:27:21 AM
If you need more motivation, then you could always use it as a beer tray, that way you'll have a nice cool refreshment while on the treadmill. :tu:      :D    Oh, don't forget the bowl of chips too!! 

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #23 on: December 12, 2014, 02:41:35 AM
Last one for the year. I want to make a magnetic knife block to keep things more organized, since now things are all over the place with smaller knives in a block, and bigger ones that don't fit hiding under the dish drying rack.

Wood is Birch, even though it's sold as cherry. The internet sez they have similar grain and are interchangeable, but I still thought it's pretty shady for the store to do this.

The block is finished with Danish oil, but I don't I like the unfinished look, and am thinking if I should add a polyurethane top coat, but nicks from knife edge would be hard to fix. Or wax/oil like a cutting block, but it's still pretty dull, not sure.

Material/hardware is cheap, except the magnets... 1" neodymium magnets are friggin expensive, looked on ebay but couldn't find any cheap ones from China, so I ended up buying from Lee Valley, think I paid over $30 for them.

Yes the spacing of the magnet holes are different. I originally calculated the wider ones but testing after two holes showed it didn't hold the larger knives strong enough.

I'm not too happy with Bosch right now. The palm router I bought didn't have the shaft perfectly perpendicular to the base, and I found that out after it messed up the edge with two slightly different profiles, had to sand it by hand to blend where the two meet. Checked another router in a different store, exactly the same problem. You'd think with the premium associated with the brand I wouldn't have to worry about problem like this.

Waiting for the danish oil to cure now, more to come after I figure out what sort of finish to put on it.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 02:45:36 AM by jzmtl »

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: December 12, 2014, 03:16:26 AM
Awesome work :tu:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #25 on: December 12, 2014, 08:23:07 AM
Excellent magnetic knife block. I have been wanting one for a while now and thought about making one myself.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 03:18:24 PM
Final installment to the thread.  :)

Decided to be lazy and just wiped on some polyurethane, so far the combination seems to work (danish oil/water based poly). The magnets are just hot glued into the holes with steel washer backer. 1" magnets seems to hold strong enough but not hard to take off.

Installed with brass screws to avoid any rust issues, although I don't know if the finish will stand up to water, but worst come I'll just sand and refinish.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: December 17, 2014, 04:41:15 PM
Nice job! :tu:
JR

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #28 on: December 17, 2014, 05:22:29 PM
Very! Good work right there.
Nate

SEND IT!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: December 17, 2014, 08:49:53 PM
Looking good mate.  :cheers:  You've got more knives right?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%