Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What the hell SOG?

us Offline English333

What the hell SOG?
on: May 14, 2014, 05:01:13 AM
I am the proud owner of a few SOG blades; voodoo hawk, 18" SOGfari and Seal Pup. I purchased the Powerlock V-cutter from Lowes today for a hefty $70. I was very unimpressed. The FIRST time I opened the tool the handle cover sprang off and landed at my feet. The tool locking mechanism seemed mediocre at best. The tools themselves seemed on par - but are rendered useless if they won't stay put  :rant: . I was very impressed by the pliers but I can't justify keeping a $70 tool just for the pliers. Overall a regrettable purchase and so very disheartening because of my great appreciation for their other blades. Do they make a decent multitool or have I been spoiled by my Leathermans?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: What the hell SOG?
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 05:36:18 AM
This was the same lesson I learned a few years ago. I'm sorry you had to learn it this way, too.

They don't make a decent mt... not anymore it seems. I just sent an old U.S.-made pocket power plier to a new home. I think the older tools are pretty decent. The newer ones less so.

The Powerlock was my first name-brand MT, and was a sore disappointment.

us Offline English333

Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 05:51:48 AM
I am in love with their fixed blades as well as my LM Skele and MUT. I have quite high standards for my tools and knives because  I work construction and everything must be bombproof. The SOG tools are great by themselves but flimsy on the pivot. I find this a shame because LM just doesn't offer a 1/4 inch drive. The main reason I purchased this tool. Is also disappointing because SOG MTs are designed to be modified and rearranged according to the owner's needs. It's a shame they couldn't make a better finished product. I will be seeking a refund tomorrow after only 24H of ownership. I suppose I'll focus my sweatcheck back towards LMs.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 10:13:10 AM
..... I have quite high standards for my tools and knives because  I work construction and everything must be bombproof. The SOG tools are great by themselves but flimsy on the pivot. I find this a shame because LM just doesn't offer a 1/4 inch drive.

If you want a robust std 1/4" hex drive for a LM then take a look at their Universal Tool Adaptor (either the original with the bumps and lug to suit the older "skinny" LM MTs, or the later version which will work with most plier-based MTs). It is an extra piece of hardware to carry around, but because of its design it is much stronger than most other 1/4" drivers that are integrated into an MT.  Both versions are discontinued, but come up for sale on the bay of thieves fairly often.  If you are after a 1/4 square male driver then carry an adaptor for the adaptor  ;)
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline English333

Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 06:03:05 PM
Checked the bay of thieves (hilarious). No such luck. Any more leads, amigo?

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 06:18:40 PM
Checked the bay of thieves (hilarious). No such luck. Any more leads, amigo?

Keep on looking, and also try the alternate spelling "adapter".

If you run an advanced search for "completed" listings you can see what they have been selling for recently.

Failing that you could put up a WTB ad in the Tools Wanted section of MTo.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 06:21:20 PM
I hope you got your money back for that thing...  :ahhh
SAW

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00