Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Traveler vs. Climber

us Offline DeezNittles

Traveler vs. Climber
on: May 17, 2014, 02:32:42 AM
I have noticed a trend of many members preferring the traveler over the climber. I was just wondering why this is? How do those of you that edc a traveler handle Phillips screws?

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Re: Traveler vs. Climber
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 02:44:03 AM
I think you will find that neither Vic climber or traveler have a Philips driver as they are essentially the same tool with different scales.
But..
You can use the small flat tip on the can opener as a Philips driver.

Unless you mean the wenger traveler? Which then to answer your question  ???
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 02:47:27 AM by DazMechanical »
darren

us Offline DeezNittles

Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 03:01:04 AM
Right, I understand that the Vic climber's can opener is sufficient for Phillips, in fact that is why I carry one. I was just wondering why people prefer the wenger traveler over the climber because the wenger can opener lacks Phillips capabilities.

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 03:05:18 AM
Yeah I have no idea about the wenger model...
darren

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 04:03:49 AM
The tip of the nailfile on the Wenger Traveler makes a passable 2D Phillips driver. especially with a little light filing to make the profile match the screwhead recess a little more closely.

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Traveler vs. Climber
Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 05:43:38 AM
The traveler is on a 85mm frame and the climber is on a 91 mm I personally like the smaller . As for the Phillips I carry a MT also, so no problem there.

Swiss Army knives .
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 05:45:10 AM by colt 1911 »
CHEERS

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 07:50:47 AM
I use a lot the nailfile with nailcleaner, but never use the small blade so Traveler is the choice for me configuration-wise. Also I prefer the Wenger can opener. For Philips I use the SD head on my SigLite.

However I prefer the Vic scissors to the serrated Wenger ones and Vic's T&T to Wenger's klunky inner nick. Also quality-wise the Traveler is miles away from the Climber, the snap is worse, the nicks are poorly placed, the file is worse than similar Vics, the corkscrew is too big and sticks out, the can-opener/can-lifter don't overlap nicely and it scratches the hand. The awl on the Traveller feels far looser than the Vic one too...

But despite of this the Wenger configuration is better for me and it has a special charm, it feels great in hand.. my fave light-edc.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 07:59:12 AM by Corwyn »
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 09:03:43 AM
Not to be argumentative, but I'm not sure what trend you're referring to.  I own both Climbers and Travelers, and would take the Climber over the Traveler any day.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 04:52:19 PM
Another vote for the Traveler. :2tu:

And yes, quite a few of us prefer them. ;)

I prefer more belly on my blades as that's what I use most for cutting, tip of the blade or the belly, and Wengers have much more belly than Vics.

Vic 91mm, Wenger 85mm, Vic 84mm

Also I see someone mentioned that the Wenger corkscrew protrudes more from the body, making it uncomfortable to use. For me, the smooth backsprings on Wengers are a much bigger plus for comfort compared to the Vic backsprings who's only actual function is to collect dirt. ::) (Picture of a Mountaineer here, to show that Vic use smooth backsprings on some tools, so why not on all is beyond me :shrug: )

Also Climbers come with two blades while Travelers have a nail file/cleaner. It's nice to have a clean, small, razor sharp blade on you sometimes, but I have a need to fix a hanging nail, or get the dirt out from under them a whole lot more. No Vic 91mm SAK has a nail file/cleaner (I'm not counting the one on the Compact hook, that one sucks :P ) Another point for Wenger.

I've never had much success using it as a 2D phillips though as some have mentioned on anything except the tiniest screws. But turning it into a proper 2D phillips is just a few passes on a file/stone away if you're inclined to do so. For the odd phillips I have a Ramber.

I can't remember ever using the backlayered awl on a 91mm Vic, the position of it just makes it fall less useful as an awl for me. :shrug: For all my awly duties I use the 93mm one. And when I need a thin prodding tool/pokey thingie, to push something through a hole, like a thread or a cable, I'd much rather use something not sharpened that could nick it. And the Wenger reamer is also great for digging out stones from the soles of your shoes or tire treads.

The bottle opener/flat head screwdriver on the Wenger and the Vic are about the same width, maybe the vic one is a millimeter or two longer.

But the Wenger one is LOCKING. Once you apply pressure to it it slips into a nook in the backspring that prevents it from closing on your fingers. It may not look like much but in use it can mean a lot. :salute:

The can opener on the Wenger is more intuitive for me. I've always used can openers that I had to move towards me, every single one I've ever used worked that way, except the Vics of course.  :P The Wenger is easy to sharpen if needed, works great as a package opener, can be used as an awl to compensate for the unsharpened back layered one (and it's better positioned fro that job too.)

The only advantage I see for the Vic here is the ability to use it on Phillips screws. It's a BIG advantage, but the total of other functions wins me over fro the Wenger.

AND yes, the scissors, the tool many or MTO battles have been fought. >:D

The Vic 91 scissors are the standard by which we measure all the other scissors around here. And I must admit, they're worth all the praise they get. But if I were to choose one pair I'd have too use for years on end, I'd opt for the Wenger ones. 

They aren't as precise (bob a bit due to the spring mechanism) or big as the Vic ones. They leave jagged edges if you use them on your nails (but you have a nail file to fix that, right? :P ) They're not a good choice if you cut a lot of paracord with them as the'll chew it rather than cut it.

But they'll just keep on going, and going, and going no matter what you throw at them. Like a Duracell bunny. ;) They're self sharpening, tough, reliable, have a backspring that won't break, ever. I've used and abused them on anything from cutting soda cans to stranded wire, no damage what so ever. I've messed up a few vic scissors in my life, and a few have gone dull from use on me, but the only thing I've ever had to do to a pair of Wenger scissors is to repeen a pivot on one pair I abused particularly hard. And they were as new after that. :hatsoff:

Oh, and the Traveler is much more pocketable too. :D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 04:59:48 PM by enki_ck »

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 05:43:10 PM
I have noticed a trend of many members preferring the traveler over the climber. I was just wondering why this is? How do those of you that edc a traveler handle Phillips screws?

A simple mod:
http://blogericious.blogspot.com/2014/02/wenger-can-opener-and-1-and-2-phillips.html

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 05:48:09 PM
Nice comparison enki_ck

Swiss Army knives .

CHEERS

us Offline DeezNittles

Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 09:22:42 PM
Thanks for the detailed comparison enki_ck, I knew someone around here would oblige my curiosities. That is why I love this place so dearly!

Now onward to procure me a Traveler!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 01:37:26 AM
Good write-up, enki.

For the sake of a contrasting perspective, though, here is how I see it:

Size/Pocketability:  The 6 mm length difference just doesn't seem significant to me, even after carrying both knives.  I rate this a draw.

Main Blades:  Both cut about equally well.  The Wenger has a bit more belly and the Vic is slightly longer, but neither factor is pronounced enough to make a real difference in use, IMO.  I'm calling this even.

Can Openers:  Both open cans fine.  But the flat Phillips driver on the Vic is very useful, and gives it the clear win.  Advantage Vic.

Bottle Opener/Flat Screwdriver:  Both are acceptable bottle openers/flat screwdrivers/light duty pry bars, but the self-locking mechanism of the Wenger is a clear advantage.  This round goes to Wenger.

Scissors:  The self-sharpening feature of the Wenger scissors is pretty handy (assuming it works; I haven't seen anyone prove or disprove this conclusively).  However, the clean precise cut, superior ergonomics, and better stability in use (vs. the infamous Wenger "bob") provided by the Vic scissors rightly make them the standard against which all other MT scissors are judged.  Vic takes this one.

Nail File/Small Blade:  Since both knives already have a main blade, having the nail file is more useful than a second blade.  I wish Vic offered more knives (other than the Sportsman) with this configuration.  Advantage Wenger.

Corkscrew:  Both about equal at removing corks from bottles, untying knots, etc.  Vic mini-screwdriver fits in Wenger corkscrew; just a bit snug.  Even.

Awl:  Position on the knives makes both awls a little awkward to use.  In practice, the sharp edge and sharper point on the Vic makes it work much better as an awl/reamer than the un-sharpened Wenger version.  Vic also has the sewing eye.  Vic takes this one.

Hook:  No hook (or other tool in this position) on the Wenger, so Vic wins by default.

T&T:  My Traveler lacks these, but I understand other Travelers have them, so I'll call this a draw.

To summarize, while a combination of features from these two tools might be ideal, my choice is Climber over Traveler due to (1) factory flat Phillips driver on the can opener, (2) superior scissors, and (3) a more usable awl.  While the self-locking bottle opener/flat screwdriver on the Wenger is clever, the square tang on the Vic gives it some resistance to closing, and I've not had a real problem with it folding up on me in actual use.  If there were one feature from the Traveler I could add to the Climber, though, it would be the nail file in place of the small blade.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 05:33:48 PM
.                  score
vic climber 4  vs  2 wenger traveler

:D
cli.JPG
* cli.JPG (Filesize: 94.24 KB)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 06:14:52 PM
Good to hear some other views too, nate j. :cheers: I tried carrying the Climber a couple of times but I like the Traveler much better. Actually I like most Wenger models with comparable tools setups to Vic models better. Mater of personal preference. :D

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it once you get it, DeezNittles. :2tu:

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 18, 2014, 07:00:30 PM
This thread is just begging for a poll. Go Wenger!  :popcorn:
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 07:42:30 PM
I like wenger's blade shape, then like the lock blade,
and also like all other tools; btw, the size too -
for that very reason I like to compare 85mm wengers to 84 vics.
But, if we compare wenger traveler to vic climber,
we have to conclude that there're two tools missing on traveler:
the hook and the vic "can-opener/orange peeler/scraper/phillips/thin prybar ... "; :o :ahhh :D

All the tasks, that can be done with wenger traveler,
could be done by climber without the hook and afore mentioned (pictured) vic can-opener tool.
Traveler has instead the nail file, but nail file is anyway on the key ring :whistle:

So, when we talk about "similar" models, comparing 85mm wenger and 91 victorinox, there are always the tools that are missing on wenger, and so one have deliberately to abandon some of the tools which was accustomed to have;
i. e. must have a strong will like enki_ck  :D
or, of course, a great power of self-persuasion:
I don't need the hook, I don't need the hook, I don't need the hook,
I don't need the phillips, I don't eat the oranges ...   :D :D
 :facepalm:

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 08:01:40 PM
More similar to 3-layer wenger traveler is 2-layer vic Compact. :o
Has similar tools ...
and for punching the holes can be used the stable part of scissors  >:D
cn.JPG
* cn.JPG (Filesize: 93.83 KB)
c.JPG
* c.JPG (Filesize: 109.12 KB)

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 18, 2014, 08:03:43 PM
And still missing The hook  :facepalm:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 18, 2014, 08:15:11 PM
But on the Wenger, neither side of the scissors is stable... :P :D

Mater of personal preference. :D
Absolutely.  I also think that if you carry one for a couple of years, the other will never feel quite right.  Still fun to kick it around though.
 :cheers:

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 18, 2014, 08:27:14 PM
But on the Wenger, neither side of the scissors is stable... :P :D
:rofl:
For that I said similar tools ... :rofl:
ok, wenger has dedicated dull punching tool :D

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #21 on: May 18, 2014, 08:42:37 PM
I'm looking for my 84mm "Super Tinker" from the early 80's which is called a Salesman on SAK Wiki but I distinctly remember them in the skinny red and white boxes marked "Super Tinker". I used to be a SAK dealer and sold a lot of these.

I had given this one to my wife and she gave it back several months after the fire. I put it in a little travel sewing kit to cut thread. Still looking...

I think it in some travel luggage I have stored so maybe I can find it. Pics when I do.

Hey, I did find 3 - 108mm knives I had forgotten about... :tu:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline colt 1911

Traveler vs. Climber
Reply #22 on: May 18, 2014, 08:50:59 PM
I'm looking for my 84mm "Super Tinker" from the early 80's which is called a Salesman on SAK Wiki but I distinctly remember them in the skinny red and white boxes marked "Super Tinker". I used to be a SAK dealer and sold a lot of these.

I had given this one to my wife and she gave it back several months after the fire. I put it in a little travel sewing kit to cut thread. Still looking...

I think it in some travel luggage I have stored so maybe I can find it. Pics when I do.

Hey, I did find 3 - 108mm knives I had forgotten about... :tu:

Gotta love that, glad you found some, I found an executive this morning moving an old desk at work. Score !

Swiss Army knives .
CHEERS

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #23 on: May 18, 2014, 10:53:27 PM
 :whistle: round here some people see the lack of "THE HOOK" as an advantage and a clear win to Wenger.  ::)

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #24 on: May 18, 2014, 11:07:37 PM
Just found this today for $20 at a gun show.  :tu:  The best of both worlds?  Wenger Swiss Sportsman, locking Traveller with the flat Phillips driver in place of the nail file......  :)

There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #25 on: May 19, 2014, 02:19:58 AM
^^^ NICE ^^^

Swiss Army knives .

CHEERS

jp Offline dork

Reply #26 on: August 26, 2014, 12:31:39 PM
Interesting conversation. I have the best solution: The JAPANESE Traveler.

Don't ask me. Mine arrives tomorrow. $30 on amazon.co.jp.

Sent from my mind to your mind through the sorcery of language.
If you're not always prepared, you're sometimes prepared.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: August 26, 2014, 01:07:44 PM
That would actually be a Super Tinker. :cheers:

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Super+Tinker

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #28 on: August 26, 2014, 01:43:56 PM
:whistle: round here some people see the lack of "THE HOOK" as an advantage and a clear win to Wenger.  ::)

:facepalm:
wrong-wrong-wrong.jpg
* wrong-wrong-wrong.jpg (Filesize: 54.84 KB)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

jp Offline dork

Traveler vs. Climber
Reply #29 on: August 26, 2014, 02:00:04 PM
That would actually be a Super Tinker. :cheers:

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Super+Tinker

In Japan it's called the Traveler. Interesting.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B000AR79VQ/

Sent from my mind to your mind through the sorcery of language.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 02:04:14 PM by enki_ck »
If you're not always prepared, you're sometimes prepared.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%