Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Show me your kitchen knives

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Show me your kitchen knives
on: May 18, 2014, 08:14:48 AM
I would love to see everyone's kitchen knives. I just bought a few Victorinox Paring knives for food preparation as they were fairly cheap. I am most likely going to save up and buy some of the Spyderco kitchen knives as well. I am really wanting to save up for a full set of the Victorinox knives in a block set as well.

I have been using the Furi Rachael Ray Gusto grip set for many years now and while they are great knives and have served me well for quite a while I would love to get a Victorinox set eventually. Here is a pic (not mine) of the Furi's.

http://images.knifecenter.com/thumb/1500x1500/knifecenter/furi/images/FUR865a.jpg

I ordered three of the Victorinox Paring knives in the expectation of them looking like this.

Paid $5.99 each. No Tax and Free Shipping. Total was $17.97.

http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/swiss-army/victorinox/swiss-army-knives/victorinox-kitchen-cutlery/victorinox-forschner-classic-3-25-paring-knife

http://www.swissknifeshop.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/v/f/vf40601_vix_x1000_1.jpg

Here is what I received.  :( They do not have anything on the blade and the handle is different as well.  :think: 

I guess the image (or lack there of) on the blade makes no real difference, but I just hate how they portray something in one way and you receive something different. Anyways, I am waiting until I move to use these so a review will be done then. First impressions (without any use) are just alright. The handle is a bit smaller than I was expecting compared to other Paring knives. They are also very thin. I can foresee discomfort while using these in any sort of extended cutting tasks, but again only time will tell. The plastic is very cheap feeling as well. I guess that's what you get when you don't spend a lot. With all the negative comments I am actually excited to get these even though it may not sound like it.

I would love to see and hear about what you guys use in the kitchen and what you like and dislike about your current cutlery.  :tu:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:19:39 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Re: Show me your kitchen knives
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 10:37:49 AM
I have a set of Global knives. Expensive, but should last a lifetime.

Stock pics off the net, just to give an idea.
1.jpg
* 1.jpg (Filesize: 34.79 KB)
2.jpg
* 2.jpg (Filesize: 42.26 KB)
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 10:41:57 AM
I like the look of those.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 01:32:11 PM
Theres a few more kitchen knives here Captain  :tu:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,6308.0.html

I have one of those Victorinox pairing knives, usefull knives but a little small for my hands
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 03:49:52 PM
I'll have to take a picture of my old cleaver I got in China Town SF 20 years ago.  It has seen all types of food prep from commercial kitchens, hotels, private catering, and so on.  It can get razor sharp and while its ugly a sin I love this knife. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 04:29:21 PM
Wusthof classic triple riveted series.
Forged from one piece of specially tempered high carbon steel to ensure outstanding strength.
Extraordinary sharpness which is easy to maintain.
Special alloyed steel,stainless.
Seamless, hygienic fit of the handle.
Triple-riveted handle shells, full tang handle.
Black handles made of synthetic material.
For professional chefs and home cooking enthusiasts.
Long-lasting extreme sharpness, thanks to PEtec - WÜSTHOF’s Precision Edge Technology.

8" chef
9" kitchen
8" bread
6" boning
6" tomato
5" paring
3" paring
8" cleaver
9" sharpening steel

Stock photo.

wu_CLASSIC_series_710x_.jpg
* wu_CLASSIC_series_710x_.jpg (Filesize: 43.69 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 06:13:59 PM
Thanks for the link Sparky.  :tu:

Nice knives to everyone else. I really like the look of the Shun knives.  :drool: I would also like a few of those Opinel kitchen knives.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 06:39:30 AM
Just wondering if anyone uses there Mora as a kitchen knife? How does it hold up in keeping sanitary? Thanks everyone.
I'm the milk man!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 07:42:02 AM
Just wondering if anyone uses there Mora as a kitchen knife? How does it hold up in keeping sanitary? Thanks everyone.

I have on occasion used a Mora clipper (Bahco) SS knife as the main kitchen knife. The problem is that because of its grind/stock it is not very good at cutting fruit, bread, cheese or anything that can "crack" as it just splits them apart rather than cutting them.

It is fine for meat or other softer foods.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 07:55:40 AM

I have on occasion used a Mora clipper (Bahco) SS knife as the main kitchen knife. The problem is that because of its grind/stock it is not very good at cutting fruit, bread, cheese or anything that can "crack" as it just splits them apart rather than cutting them.

It is fine for meat or other softer foods.

Thanks for the input.  :tu:

I was thinking of mainly using it on meat and vegetables so I should be in the clear. Does it clean up well after cutting food?
I'm the milk man!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 09:01:53 AM
I have hand washed it only and it comes out OK (SS blade).
The blade is polished so it cleans easily. I think the actual tang, in some if not all Mora models, is inserted, rather than moulded/glued etc., in the handle  so there may be some contamination in there, but I am not sure.

The 511 series is often shown being taken apart to rustproof the tang (Carbon steel blade) but I do not know if this can also be done with the clipper; I suspect that the clipper's blade is sealed in the handle.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 09:21:19 AM by dks »
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 09:22:01 AM
I have hand washed it only and it comes out OK (SS blade).
The blade is polished so it cleans easily. I think the actual tang, in some if not all models, is inserted, rather than moulded/glued etc., in the handle  so there may be some contamination in there, but I am not sure.

The 511 series is often shown being taken apart to rustproof the tang (Carbon steel blade) but I do not know if this can also be done with the clipper; I suspect that the clipper's blade is sealed in the handle.

I don't think mine will come apart. I remembered I have a Buck Paklite Skinner I will probably use. The blade shape is not the best but I know for sure I can keep it sanitary.  :tu:

http://www.amazon.com/Buck-PakLite-Skinner-Silver-8-Inch/dp/B002NBC17Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1400484021&sr=8-4&keywords=buck+paklite
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 02:56:44 PM
I bought victorinox kitchen knives with fibrox handles. If you want rosewood handles, they cost a little extra.

I fully researched this before I went ahead (like I do with everything I buy), and basically, if you are on a budget, and can't afford the very expensive branded chefs knives, then Victorinox is the way to go. Very cheap for what you are getting, and of a very high quality, from a company you know can produce a knife.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 01:48:46 AM
I gave my Furi's to a friend in need and am starting over on the kitchen knives.

I ordered these:

http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/kitchen/cutlery/victorinox/knife-sets/victorinox-forschner-3-piece-essentials-cutlery-brown-box-special

and added another red paring knife. For $44.00 you can't go wrong. 

I will have:
5 - 3.25" paring knives. 4 red 1 black.
1 - 8" chef knife
1 - 4.5" tomato/bagel/steak knife.

I think I am going to ask for a Shun for my birthday. Something like this.  :drool:

http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/kitchen/cutlery/shun/shun-japanese-blades/shun-premier-7-santoku-knife

I'm the milk man!

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 01:54:26 AM
I'm not happy saying my kitchen knives are Junk.

they are not worth taking a picture of
Defend the Hive!!!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 02:04:49 AM

Maybe you need to do something about that.  :pok:  :D
I'm the milk man!

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 02:10:58 AM

I just may   :pok:
Defend the Hive!!!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: May 24, 2014, 02:44:37 AM

Pictures are of course mandatory if you do.  :whistle:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #18 on: May 24, 2014, 03:12:32 AM

Pictures are of course mandatory if you do.  :whistle:

of course   :cheers:
Defend the Hive!!!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #19 on: May 24, 2014, 10:48:51 AM

Hehe, I have a few expensive kitchen knives but I always go back to use cheap ones. Bought a Zwilling cermax 66 9" chef knife, didn't like the profile. Bought a Shun Chinese chef, too much belly. Bought a VG10 core 8" Chinese chef from Taiwan, too heavy. Now I'm back to use a no name cheapie, which I'm not afraid to regrind to my preference.  ::)

Never liked knife sets, I only use two in the kitchen (actually only one most of the time).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 10:51:01 AM by jzmtl »

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 24, 2014, 11:05:11 AM
I gave my Furi's to a friend in need and am starting over on the kitchen knives.

I ordered these:

(Image removed from quote.)
http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/kitchen/cutlery/victorinox/knife-sets/victorinox-forschner-3-piece-essentials-cutlery-brown-box-special

and added another red paring knife. For $44.00 you can't go wrong. 

I will have:
5 - 3.25" paring knives. 4 red 1 black.
1 - 8" chef knife
1 - 4.5" tomato/bagel/steak knife.

Love to hear your feedback, dont think you will be disappointed. Buy a victorinox steel an you will find they are so easy to resharpen.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: May 25, 2014, 01:54:24 AM
I will most definitely report back once I get them and another review once they get some use.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

00 Offline kwakster

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 25, 2014, 02:53:28 PM
My current group of vintage Gerber kitchen knives from the '60's.
A modified Flamborge Chef knife, a Balmung carving knife, and a Durendal boning knife.
Blade steel in all three is hard chromed M2 high speed steel with a hardness of 60-62 HRC, and they have cast-on aluminum handles.
The Flamborge handle has a green Armorhide coating and the 2 slicers have handles with a chrome coating.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 02:59:37 PM by kwakster »

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: June 17, 2014, 03:02:38 AM
Bought a Shun paring knife to give them a try. I needed a pairing knife anyways. While the cheap victorinox ones are nice and cut very well I wanted something a little more high quality. The handle on the cheap Victorinox paring knives are super small as well. I found out that Shun is owned by Kershaw surprisingly.

I bought the Shun Sora 3.5". The Sora series is the cheaper line. ($31.95 shipped) Same blade with a different handle. While I do really want the classic series with the PakkaWood handle I just could not spend $80.00 for the same pairing knife with a different handle.

I have been looking at some kitchen knife forums and Shun is basically crap compared to what those guys are buying, but to me and most everyone on the planet the Shun is a high quality piece of cutlery. I can see a kitchen knife addiction going into full swing in the near future.  :facepalm:

I will get my own pictures up when it arrives, but until then a stock photo will have to do. I have a feeling that the one I actually get won't have such a distinct pattern on the blade, but only time will tell.

http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/kitchen/cutlery/shun/shun-sora/shun-sora-3-5-paring-knife

Just for reference here is what some of the guys on the kitchen knife forums are using. Customs in the £1500 (each) range.  :o

http://www.catchesidecutlery.com/
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #24 on: June 17, 2014, 04:33:38 AM
I have been looking at some kitchen knife forums and Shun is basically crap compared to what those guys are buying, but to me and most everyone on the planet the Shun is a high quality piece of cutlery. I can see a kitchen knife addiction going into full swing in the near future.  :facepalm:

Those guys will also pay $700 for each kitchen knife, so yeah, can't compare with them.  :facepalm:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: June 17, 2014, 06:46:08 AM

Those guys will also pay $700 for each kitchen knife, so yeah, can't compare with them.  :facepalm:

Exactly. That's what i'm saying. Some of them are paying $2000 for a single custom chef knife.  :ahhh
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #26 on: June 17, 2014, 07:45:12 AM
What would that be equivalent to, a gold LM charge?  :D

Good thing I only use one knife in kitchen, barely touch a paring knife even, so the mega block sets hold no attraction to me.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: June 17, 2014, 08:13:43 AM
What would that be equivalent to, a gold LM charge?  :D

Good thing I only use one knife in kitchen, barely touch a paring knife even, so the mega block sets hold no attraction to me.

would be equivalent a lot of Leathermans.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Rux

Reply #28 on: June 17, 2014, 02:52:34 PM
I have a Cuisinart set received as a gift when my fiance and I moved in together. Tried to locate a picture of the specific set to no avail.

Not a bad set, I like the full tang handles, and they sharpen easily. However, the big knife on the block (the butcher's knife?) has a crack at the base of the blade about an inch or two into the blade from the handle.

These knives aren't abused and only see regular food prep for their duties, so no clue what caused it. I didn't even realize it was cracked until during sharpening it was catching at the base and upon further examination, I found the crack.

While the knives are still functional, needless to say I wasn't pleased since this set is still only about a year old to date.

I'm in the market for a new set, but no rush what so ever.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #29 on: June 17, 2014, 05:34:47 PM
Should be covered under warranty?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99