Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC Tablet

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
EDC Tablet
on: May 18, 2014, 05:33:02 PM
I'm thinking about an EDC tablet.
I have an iPhone 4s and it would blend with an iPad but I hate Apple way of manipulating the buyers, focusing to design, non compatibility with other elements (memory cards, USB, HDD function with a PC) and the pop culture reliance. It's the Lady Gaga of informatics for me and I would never own an iPhone if it wasn't a gift. My kids have different opinions, they have iPods and iPhones and want to buy iPads and iMacs (and I say to them: ichatheite, that means: get lost).
So I'm thinking of an Android tablet, there are already two earlier models in the house, my wife's and daughter's.
Now, I still use that iPhone for almost everything. I have PCs, laptops and a netbook for serious work. I have an Archos 5, an Archos AV500, an iRiver and an iPod for MP3 and movies with 250, 80, 40 and 32 GB of space, so this isn't going to be used for music but I might see a movie when traveling. I am going to keep my personal info on the iPhone as I am used to do after 15 years with palmtop computers.
What I mainly want is:
- a price of ~250€
- a better relaxed Internet experience with a bigger screen than my iPhone's and less weight than my laptops'. A better MTO experience that is, with youTube also in mind.
- a good ebook reader, mostly PDFs but cbrs also, with a nice screen for my coming of age eyes
- ability to EDC, so an 8" screen might suit me better than 10"

Searching I found the LG G Pad V500 8.3". Not much compatible with my phone but fits perfect with the description above. What's your opinion?

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: EDC Tablet
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 05:58:36 PM
Best EDC tablet for me was ibuprofen,but it's no longer compatible with my operating system,so I've had to go old school with aspirin and paracetamol  :facepalm:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 06:11:46 PM
I too used Iphone and Andriod phone in the past, and can honestly confirm that I really do like Andriod far better than ios.  I do feel many games on iphone is a little more refined, but I am not much of a cell phone game player, and do appreciate the integration with Google and versatility better.

Anyway, back to the tablet.  I used one long long time ago and am not too up-to-date, but I do feel lugging around a ~8" tablet with much heavier weight without any good way to pocket it, is not totally justifiable, when I can pretty much do the same thing with an andriod phone.  How about a Samsung Note II, it has larger screen, somewhat still pocketable and probably better browsing experience too?

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 06:40:42 PM
I got a 10'' Android tablet for my bro's in-laws last month. If you don't care for LTE/GSM connectivity and you're happy with WiFi, and if you don't need the latest version of Android, you can get a decent 10'' for under €100 these days...

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 08:15:20 PM
Me and the misses recently picked up the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro tablets, she got the 10 inch one and I got the 8.4 inch one.  We both like them alot as they were just released when we got them and have the 4.4 kit kat OS on them.

They also work seemlessly with out Samsung Blue Ray, which we can send the tablet screen to the lcd tv.

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 08:56:02 PM
Big Apple fan here, sorry, can't help…

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 09:05:26 PM
The one benefit of Apple (I prefer Android myself) that can't be denied is the number and variety of aftermarket accessories for it.  If you plan to take it with you, make sure it is something you can get a good case for.

I have the original Nexus 7 in an Otter box and I doubt very much I'd want a tablet I couldn't get an Otter box or similar case.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 09:13:43 PM
I have an iPad 4, and an Asus Windows tablet.  I use my iPad the most, but am starting to slowly switch over to using my Windows tablet more.  The great things about the Asus is that you can use micro SD cards, and also plug in USB devices.  For me, this will be great traveling as I will be able to plug my camera in, and back it up.

I'm also using a Nokia Lumia 1020 now, and the two work together very well, just like an iPhone and iPad.

nl Offline Serena

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 09:20:26 PM
There's always Dropbox and other Cloud services. Who needs usb?

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 10:10:22 PM
What about the Nexus 7?

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 10:57:32 PM
I need USB and ability for a cheap card instead of paying 100€ for every 16GB.
The LG seems to be the best for the money but there is no case for it. But a universal case would do.

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 01:24:02 AM
Oops missed the requirement... What do you wish to do with the USB? Seems a lot of tablets with USB is lacking features.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 07:30:43 AM
I want to charge the tablet through one of the dozen USB cables I already have and not having to buy an extra 30€ proprietary cable when it malfunctions, as it happened 5-6 times with my phones and palmtops the last 20 years.
A USB host would be nice as well for moving files but I know this is too much to ask. Only Archos had it regularly.

00 Offline gorbag

• Tapatalk User
Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 07:40:46 AM
Galaxy Nexus.  I have a galaxy tab2 with the 7 inch screen, and love it, but the charging/data cable with the harmonica tip can be a hassle.  I can find Apple cables everywhere, not so for mine.  Get one that takes mini USB for the cable connection.

You can pocket a 7 inch screen, just not in slacks.

Do invest in an Otterbox case or the equivalent.  Mine has saved my butt at least 8 or 9 times so far.

The world belongs to the funkiest.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 08:45:50 AM
I want to charge the tablet through one of the dozen USB cables I already have and not having to buy an extra 30€ proprietary cable when it malfunctions, as it happened 5-6 times with my phones and palmtops the last 20 years.
A USB host would be nice as well for moving files but I know this is too much to ask. Only Archos had it regularly.

On top of searching for a good tablet, I do suggest to keep an eye out for anything that will support the use of OTC drive cable.  I discover this a little late, but once I find out my Samsung S4 can support the use of that cable, it is a total game changer.  Now I can watch any file or movie I move onto a normal USB flash drive with my phone easily.

Another thing is I brought a Window 8 tablet/computer about 1 year ago, and it was the biggest regret I have ever.  It is totally not user friendly, has little resemblance to a normal Window system, and lacks the apps and intuitive interface that Andriod offers.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 04:13:47 PM
Yes, that's my spirit. OTC saves the day.
Finally I got the LG Glad V500 8.3" in black. 249€ another 29 for a made for it case and another 29 for 32GB of memory (that would cost 200€ with iPad). That's my first message with it and it looks great. MTO on the go as never before.

Στάλθηκε από το LG-V500 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 08:49:09 PM
What about the Nexus 7?

Absolutely love my Nexus 7.  I quickly ditched my iPad after getting it.  Best device I've ever owned.

BTW, now that my Macbook Pro has completely died, I'm seriously considering a 10 or 12 Android tablet and wireless external hard drive as a replacement.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014, 08:54:30 PM
You can't really go wrong with a Nexus Tablet, and you have both 7 & 10 inch options although only the lowest model of the 16gb nexus 7 (2013 update) is in your price range. I have the older 2012 8gb model, and feel no need to upgrade to the 2013, at least until this one dies... but there's a whole whack of new features I'd love to try out!
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 11:41:11 PM
Google Nexus 7 was considered but the real estate of a 8.3" screen tipped the scales in favor of the LG. I read a lot of pdf files and at the same time the tablet fits perfectly to one of the 3 electronic device pockets of my Victorinox Trevi (a HDD and Archos 5 fit the rest).
Anyway, all modern tablets are great, the only thing I wish was better is battery life. And Android is a great OS, iOS is for babies compared to it (and I used PalmOS, Symbian and PPC since 1999 to).

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 12:11:15 AM
Google Nexus 7 was considered but the real estate of a 8.3" screen tipped the scales in favor of the LG. I read a lot of pdf files and at the same time the tablet fits perfectly to one of the 3 electronic device pockets of my Victorinox Trevi (a HDD and Archos 5 fit the rest).
Anyway, all modern tablets are great, the only thing I wish was better is battery life. And Android is a great OS, iOS is for babies compared to it (and I used PalmOS, Symbian and PPC since 1999 to).

Please update this thread!  I would be very interested to hear your opinions of using the LG 8.3" screen, and if it seems large enough for PDF's and spreadsheets. :)

00 Offline gorbag

• Tapatalk User
Reply #20 on: May 23, 2014, 06:38:31 AM
The only way to get better battery life is to root it and scrape out all the bloatware.  Constant background processes eat processor power.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #21 on: May 23, 2014, 10:46:34 AM
That is the thing I love most about my Nexus(es/Nexii?) is the lack of bloatware apart from Google apps compared to other android devices.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

00 Offline gorbag

• Tapatalk User
Reply #22 on: May 24, 2014, 05:41:29 PM
Samsung is chock full.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #23 on: May 24, 2014, 06:17:28 PM
I just got a Virgo 8.2 to give as a present and for the money is decent enough. Lenovo seem to be the cheapest known brand tablets and based on my experience with their android phones they are solid.

taaaaaaapaaaaaaas

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #24 on: May 24, 2014, 08:19:08 PM
Perhaps you noticed that I'm not that active these days. You can blame the tablet for it. Yes, the 8.3" is perfect. I tried internet, videos, photos, and many documents like doc, xls, ppt, pdf and cbz with it. All are great compared with all the smartphones I''ve seen. Yet it fits in every bag I use with no problem and even at some of my pockets. The protective lid I choose is active, (passively, through the proximity sensor) and with the thin tablet I get the feeling of my first and most loved PDA, the Palm Vx cross-bred with my best ever, the Sony TH55, boosted, enlarged and evolved.
Face recognition and Google Now really work.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 02:38:28 PM
The one benefit of Apple (I prefer Android myself) that can't be denied is the number and variety of aftermarket accessories for it.  If you plan to take it with you, make sure it is something you can get a good case for.

I have the original Nexus 7 in an Otter box and I doubt very much I'd want a tablet I couldn't get an Otter box or similar case.

My wife has an iPad and iPod Touch, but I wanted an Android based tablet for my own use.

I recently bought a 32 GB Google Nexus 7 tablet, though I don't plan to carry it around every single day as EDC gear. 

Otterbox discontinued their case for the Nexus.  Instead, consider the Seidio Dilex, a very rugged case.  Get the version with the front cover. The Dilex is available for both the old and new version Nexus 7 as well as other devices, and the cases come in a few different colors.

I bought a Dilex case based partly on this review:

http://www.seidioonline.com/asus-google-nexus-7-2013-dilex-case-cover-black-p/bd2-csk3asn72-bk.htm
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 08:09:19 PM
Well, my Macbook pooped out.  I've been limping by on my Nexus 7 and phone for a couple weeks now.  I ordered a Samsung Tab S that arrived a couple days ago and I'm trying to get it set up.  The version of Android is a little different, and trying to get my apps sync'ed is a pain.

At the same time, I bought a networked storage (WD MyCloud).  It works like cloud storage, but is more private and I can access it via the home network without being online.  I've been migrating everything on a Drobo (which I bought for storage and back up). The Drobo worked well but was brutally slow on the network.  The WD is very fast.

I still have to get files off the Macbook HD, so I have do the ol' external HD thing and migrate it all to the WD.

I'm thinking about rooting the Samsung.  Anyone have a good site for a step by step process?

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 08:26:55 PM
Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro's come with the usb/ac adapter so you can charge by wall or usb.  They also have the BEST resolution out there!  They also have quad cores, good amount of ram, etc.

Just sayin'  :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD