Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leathermans new line of pocket tools (10 of them)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Leathermans new line of pocket tools (10 of them)
Reply #60 on: May 27, 2014, 05:14:55 PM
In terms of the Cap lifter on these BTN tools, they seem to be made with the same shape as the Brewzer/Piranha/Croc. Which means they could also be used to hold a 1/4" hex bit or turn a 1/4" hex nut or bolt if needed.

I get that some people don't like cap lifters (as they can be redundant), but it's there and doesn't have to be used or thought of as useless. One could always take a round file and or dremel grinder (rotary) tool to turn it into a belt/strap cutter.
I do not disagree with you, but if they made a 1/4" hex hole instead of the cap lifter it would loose one (highly redundant) function but at the same time smoothing the outline of the tool making it more pocket friendly.
I actually like the idea of a strap cutter (not for me, I'm more for smooth outer line). But, I think this is what bothers me, they didn't play around more.

P.S.: How is the box cutter on #4 supposed to work?
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #61 on: May 27, 2014, 05:24:37 PM
In terms of the Cap lifter on these BTN tools, they seem to be made with the same shape as the Brewzer/Piranha/Croc. Which means they could also be used to hold a 1/4" hex bit or turn a 1/4" hex nut or bolt if needed.

I get that some people don't like cap lifters (as they can be redundant), but it's there and doesn't have to be used or thought of as useless. One could always take a round file and or dremel grinder (rotary) tool to turn it into a belt/strap cutter.
I do not disagree with you, but if they made a 1/4" hex hole instead of the cap lifter it would loose one (highly redundant) function but at the same time smoothing the outline of the tool making it more pocket friendly.
I actually like the idea of a strap cutter (not for me, I'm more for smooth outer line). But, I think this is what bothers me, they didn't play around more.

Like the one on the Croc, with brute force  ;).  Its not sharpened so it will work like a house key simply by pressing it into the tape and forcing metal against material thats softer.  In reality any side of the tool can open a taped box by the same reasoning. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Mango808

Reply #62 on: May 27, 2014, 05:53:58 PM
The Box Opener on #4 suppose to work like the one on #6 and #10. But from the looks of it, they don't look quite right. I think they were suppose to have a curve above (towards the tip/scraper end) like the one on the Piranha/Croc and Brewzer to form a tip (like a key ridge) to cut/puncture the tape on a box.

To make it more pocket friendly, you could either put tape over the bottle opener or slide a 1 inch heat shrink tube piece over it.

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #63 on: May 27, 2014, 08:20:19 PM
I re-profiled the cutter on Croc, it works well.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #64 on: May 28, 2014, 04:41:03 PM
Heads up guy and gals!
Leatherman has put the "BY THE NUMBERS SERIES"  on Facebook!!
(They must have heard us :whistle: )
https://www.facebook.com/leathermanusa

take a look. They even put a little "challenge on it:
"
Have you guys heard about the By The Numbers PocketTools yet? We launched them! They are feedback generated keychain pocket tools. Once you buy one, you simply go to our website and tell us what you love or hate about them on the feedback page! Ideas? Share with us there also. The idea is you guys HELP us create the next round, we want to listen to you. Number 1-10 are live on our website now, check them out by following the link. Can't wait to hear what you think!"

Hmmmmmm! :think:  me thinks..in a way,,, we've been given a challenge!
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #65 on: May 28, 2014, 05:07:59 PM

Like the one on the Croc, with brute force  ;).  Its not sharpened so it will work like a house key simply by pressing it into the tape and forcing metal against material thats softer.  In reality any side of the tool can open a taped box by the same reasoning.
Thats what I thought, but in most of the other tools (especially #6) it looks like the box opener is much thinner like a incisor, whereas in #4 its just a molar.

BTW, does this mean a key is by definition a MT. It can lock/unlock locks open boxes and scratch the lottery ticket (and car paint). :P
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 05:09:52 PM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

tr Offline nervium

• Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
Reply #66 on: May 29, 2014, 04:47:06 PM
my brewzer is enough for me, always on my keychain. i do not think i will spend more on these type of tool.

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #67 on: May 29, 2014, 04:52:33 PM
I like the Leatherman 4.

Ditto (very tempted)

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #68 on: May 30, 2014, 12:46:09 AM
Just ordered a #4, the design is one I was wanting with the pocket clip function. Whether it will work for that I'll let you know when I arrives but for $13 including shipping and limited run I could not resist! :surrender:

I was also annoyed when I learned NO Paypal.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #69 on: May 30, 2014, 12:57:35 AM
Just ordered a #4, the design is one I was wanting with the pocket clip function. Whether it will work for that I'll let you know when I arrives but for $13 including shipping and limited run I could not resist! :surrender:

I was also annoyed when I learned NO Paypal.
Pocket clip??? I don't think it is going to work as one because it is designed to retain the bit in position. I don't have #4 but I have Piranha 2.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: May 30, 2014, 06:12:22 AM
sooo... a full set of all 10 tools arrived today. :mail:

I apologize for the poor photo quality, but I'm sure Chako will provide much nicer pics when they arrive at his doorstep. :D

one of the things I was most curious about was the size, since I didn't see any dimensions listed on LM's site. :think: turns out they're about the size I was expecting (Vic Classic, LM Squirt and carabiner included for size reference).

I can't say I'm thrilled with any of these tools, but this campaign is certainly an interesting way to do some market research. I thought the 5 had the most potential, but it feels like it would be uncomfortable in the pocket. I think I'll stick with my Chopper.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #71 on: May 30, 2014, 12:11:12 PM
 :drool:  :D
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #72 on: May 30, 2014, 05:14:44 PM
"Pocket clip??? I don't think it is going to work as one because it is designed to retain the bit in position. I don't have #4 but I have Piranha 2."

I know, but I can dream, can't I?  ::)

Still a handy thing, especially since there is air travel in my future. :ahhh

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #73 on: May 30, 2014, 05:20:00 PM
Looking at them with some size references (thanks for that :tu: ), I think those wrenches are a bit too big for stuff I'd use a keychain/pocket OPT for. :think: Not small enough for the bolts it could handle and not enough grip/levarage for the big wrench sizes it has on it. :shrug:

I'd be perfectly happy with just the 6, 8 and 10mm wrench sizes and moving the fulcrum a bit.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: May 30, 2014, 06:46:12 PM
Can't say I understand why leatherman bothered with this lot  :facepalm:

As mentioned earlier in the thread, these are probably  market testers??

I think  its generally accepted that leatherman are probably the #1 in their field. So why don't they bring out whats been missing since they began instead of phaffing.
Their current line up is still missing
Blunt Nose
Side Cutters
Shears (not scissors)

These so called pocket tools will without doubt be replicated by  our eastern friends once leatherman has tweaked the design. There really can't be much deviation between USA stamped out tools and those stamped out in China/Taiwan??

I think leatherman should concentrate on trades more than leisure. The  multitool concept (butterfly opening) surely can't be exhausted yet.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline sdmason

Reply #75 on: June 02, 2014, 12:44:15 AM
Leatherman refers to the non metric tools as English.We,here in the States,refer to them as standard.I don't know from where Leatherman derived their term English?

Over here we refer to them as Metric and Imperial.
Or "I have a spanner for that" and "oh bloody hell why have they used a stupid old fashioned fastener I'll have to go back to the workshop and find something".
It gets really confusing with all the different permutations of Imperial bolts you get, we have racks of the sodding things. More boxes than the Metric area of the workshop but covering a smaller range of sizes. You can still never find what you need though.

I do keep both Metric and Imperial adjustables handy though, you can never know which one you'll need.

I don't see any in BSW either.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #76 on: June 02, 2014, 01:14:17 AM
To a collector, these tools are like gold. Limited quantities, public input. This has one time deal written all over it.

:gimme:

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #77 on: June 02, 2014, 01:20:34 AM
The only reason I haven't bought these new tools is the simple fact I'm BROKE!! :sa: :bnghd: :_c:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 01:25:20 AM by BIG-TARGET »
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #78 on: June 02, 2014, 01:22:34 AM

Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline English333

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #80 on: June 02, 2014, 04:13:42 AM
(Image removed from quote.)

What're you working on there, mate?

I tightened up a lose lawnmower handle with the#5 and a rebar at work. I just needed to hold the nut with it. Q
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #81 on: June 04, 2014, 03:31:33 AM
I got the #4 I ordered and it is smaller than I thought it would be, which is actually better for keychains. And, NO, the "clip" does not work as a pocket clip, it is too tight. I know it was a fool's dream but I suppose I qualify!   :D

I have yet to figure out what to do with it but I bet it will end up complimenting a larger knife based tool as a dangler. The rubber really is tight in the slot so I figured out that you just twist it and slide the bit out -  ???

The bit fits securely in the hole with the clip so that is reassuring.
LM Num4.jpg
* LM Num4.jpg (Filesize: 37.75 KB)

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #82 on: June 04, 2014, 03:47:20 AM
So the 5 really is a mini-Pirahna
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #83 on: June 04, 2014, 03:59:55 AM
So the 5 really is a mini-Pirahna

if the croc is a skinny fish the #5 has to be a mini fish.  :salute:
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #84 on: June 04, 2014, 04:08:00 AM
I just saw these on the website, and I think I might order a few. The price point is just right and they look pretty cool. 

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: June 05, 2014, 09:58:54 PM
Mine were lost in the mail.I was supposed to receive them on Tuesday but they never arrived.When I checked at the UPS website the tracking number indicated they were delivered on Tuesday.When I called Leatherman to check what information they had they viewed the same information as myself.The service rep indicated that if I still didn't find the location of my missing tools she would ask if she could send two other tools to me.

I'm very thankful to Kim,the public service rep to whom I spoke,for her concern and willingness to ask if they would send two new tools to me.

I called Kim back today to thank her and gladly explained that the tools were delivered to the wrong address because the shipping label was damaged during transit.My mail carrier discovered the mistake and brought them to my front door just a few minutes ago.Hooray!

Thank you Leatherman  for hiring such caring and competent people as Kim.

DSCN1097-1.jpg
* DSCN1097-1.jpg (Filesize: 250.9 KB)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 10:03:32 PM by toolguy »
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #86 on: June 06, 2014, 01:44:32 AM
I can barely tell the difference between the 10 of them.
Leatherman

00 Offline AaronX

Reply #87 on: June 06, 2014, 04:23:25 AM
I believe there are only about 5 unique models, the others are metric/imperial versions.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #88 on: June 06, 2014, 05:38:02 AM
Which amazes me when you think of it. Is Metric used in the US much?

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #89 on: June 06, 2014, 06:36:49 AM
Which amazes me when you think of it. Is Metric used in the US much?

Yes. It is VERY common.
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69