Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Time to get back into photography.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Time to get back into photography.
on: May 25, 2014, 06:04:46 PM
With so many interest on the go, I have found less and less time to get out and do some photography. I figure this being another nice day, I will attempt to pack my wildlife kit in a saddle bag or two and see if I can do some shooting at a few local city parks.

My wildlife kit is designed more for birding than anything else...but it is a very versatile system.

My wildlife platform choice is the Bushhawk mount system with gun trigger that works via a shutter release cable.

A flash can be quite important, even under bright sunlight. Especially so for birds. The extra directed light will set off the plumage nicely. To get the reach necessary, a flash extender is very useful. Here is the flash and extender. The extender is two ABS plastic frames that wrap around the flash head. A magnifying lens attaches to the other end via Velcro.

And the main body. A Sigma (Bigma) 50 - 500mm  f/4-6.3 EX DG/HSM lens on a Canon EOS 1D mark II N. The Bigma is an excellent all rounder. A bit slow, but with the gun mount above, that isn't an issue. Neither is the lack of image stabilization. I thought I would never use the low end, but in outdoor situations, I have found the versatility of this lens to be especially high.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Time to get back into photography.
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 01:13:58 AM
Well, I tried to get that case into my hard saddle bag and it just wouldn't fit. The camera itself is too wide. So I had to leave it behind and used my cell phone instead.  :facepalm:

On the plus side, I bought a Nikon Coolpix AW120 which will be my dedicated motorcycle camera. The cell phone is great for what it does, but I can't see what I am shooting in bright sunlight. It truly is a problem.

Here are today's photos. Seeing I couldn't bring my wildlife kit with me, just more scenics.

First stop was the local Canal. Here is the old lock master's house.

This looked interesting.

Today was the first day I noticed leaf buds starting to show. I can't wait for the leaves to come out. At least the grass is green.

Here is the old post office at the Sault Locks. Looks like they are trying to do plenty of landscaping and repairs around the locks.

Looking west towards Lake Superior. Plenty of folks out today. I had a hard time taking photos without people in them.

Looking east towards St. Mary's River.

One of the outdoor lock master control stations.

A view west again.

I just liked the new sign.

Here is the main shop building. They had the whole step area fenced off. I gather things were deteriorating and in need of repairs.

The last I took at Bellevue Park. This is St. Mary's River, and on the far side, is Sault Ste Marie, Michigan.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 01:15:34 AM by Chako »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 02:51:23 AM
Nice shots!!

live from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 01:28:03 AM
Thanks.  :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41