Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Grills, charcoal or propane?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Grills, charcoal or propane?
on: May 26, 2014, 09:47:49 PM
I've always had a gas grill but am thinking of switching over to coals? I've just never used them, well once, I had a lava rock portable grill which I would dump a few Jack Daniels rocks that have the whiskey barrel pieces in them and they added such flavor to the food! So I've been looking for something to cook with even though I have no clue, the thing that sucks around here is you can't leave anything outside especially come winter, so once its done it's gotta go in the basement! The one grill that's got my attention is the weber jumbo joe gold, light weight locks up to carry around especially to lug into the basement and not to expensive! So what's everyone's thoughts and what do you need to change over? One of these chimney coal starters? What else? All thoughts welcome or ideas on other grills? Thanks, JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Grills, charcoal or propane?
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 11:04:22 PM
I use charcoal. Always will. Don't get me wrong propane is easy to turn on and off and getting the heat correct, but charcoal is where its at in my opinion. With the right kind of wood added you can really get a lot of different flavors as well. Even if no wood is added i'm still a charcoal man. No need to get the starter chimney. Just buy the grill, charcoal, and lighter fluid and your good to go.

I see people improperly starting coals ALL THE TIME!  :poh:

All you need to do is remove the top grill. Pour the correct amount of coals into the bottom grill portion. STACK THEM into pyramid looking design. Yes use your hands. It washes right off. Once they are stacked generously soak all the coals in lighter fluid. Let the coals sit for 30 seconds to a minute to allow the lighter fluid to soak into the coals. Light as many sides as you can and let her burn. Don't worry about the coals exploding when you light them. Letting the lighter fluid soak in makes this not a issue as well as the pu&*% ass lighter fluid they sell now a days. Put the top grill on over the coals while they get going. This burns all the crap off from the last time you used it and will make scraping it off much easier as well as getting the grill to temperature. Wait until the coals are almost all white (remove the top grill carefully) and spread the coals out evenly with some sort of long pokey tool. Replace top grill. Scrape the grill clean. By the time you get the meat and what not from inside the coals should be mostly white and your good to go.  :tu:

You could get the coals that are "match light" which usually means they are pre-soaked and you do not need lighter fluid. Don't get me wrong about the starter chimneys. They work well, but in my opinion they are not needed if you know what your doing.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 11:12:47 PM
Here is a good article you should read. Basically exactly as I explained except they wait to put the top grill on until after the spread.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2009/05/18/the-art-of-summer-grilling/
I'm the milk man!

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 11:20:29 PM
Here is a good article you should read. Basically exactly as I explained except they wait to put the top grill on until after the spread.

http://www.artofmanliness...e-art-of-summer-grilling/

Yep!!  :salute: :salute: :salute:

Good ol' Art of Manliness!!

Great site... I love it! Together with Huckberry!!  :cheers: :cheers:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 11:26:00 PM
I used charcoal long ago and long all the hair on my arms... LOL.  Too much lighter fluid.  I learned a good lesson though.  :D

I use propane only because its easy.  Next bbq im just going to hook it into the natural gas line then I dont have to fill up the bottles anymore, and it can be my backup cooker when the power is out.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 11:55:14 PM
I use propane, a lot less pain in the butt. If I just want to grill a burger I don't need to spend more time lighting it than grilling. I made a smokebox for it and add wood chip so the flavor is there.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 12:08:41 AM by jzmtl »

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 12:07:07 AM
Charcoal. It just seems more traditional.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 02:30:47 AM
Yes?

Propane when I'm in a hurry. Charcoal is very good. But I prefer to start with wood and then cook over that once it burns down to coals.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 05:14:49 AM
Thanks Capt, and guys for any info! Today kinda sucked but also got some good news. I had to go to the store and passed by two grill(both charcoal) there was another one but didn't see it, but sure in heck smelt it :drool: ! So it kinda sucked having pizza for dinner on a day like today! Yet on a good note, our company we had over made our day, not only because their grate to have over but come to find out he wants our grill, so he said he'll buy it when he gets his check, so no need to worry about getting anyone to buy it, just have to wait.. So that leads us into the next question, what's a good charcoal grill? That weber jumbo joe golds kinda got my attention,, not only is it a weber, supposedly one of the best but it's portable, so easy to get around, "but" it's short, so that means I gotta either kneel down or get a table to work off of, or do I look into the full size? Only thing is there over twice as expensive, but there going to be harder to move around! I'd guess the table would be better cause the other downer of switching over to the charcoal is, there's no shelves to put anything on! So what's a good grill? JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 06:08:56 PM
I never used propane and always use hardwood and charcoal or just charcoal.  I dont use lighter fluid either no need when dryer lint, paper and a large coffee can with holes punctured in ( thanks to swisschamp awl ) work great. 

There are these pre-made ones like this http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7416-Rapidfire-Chimney-Starter/dp/B000WEOQV8 but an old large coffee can works just as well.  When you want a good smoke flavor remember to soak your wood chips and use sparingly.  I also brine larger cuts of meat to help them from drying out.  I will also brine chicken as well and have rarely served dry chicken as a result. 

Happy grilling.   
Esse Quam Videri

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 07:19:32 PM
Charcoal or wood, as it adds to the flavour. If I am going to use gas I might as well use the grill in the oven. Hank Hill lied.
To light the charcoal I use an electric element. I have posted pictures a while back.

taaaaaaapaaaaaaas

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 09:08:42 PM
I never used propane and always use hardwood and charcoal or just charcoal.  I dont use lighter fluid either no need when dryer lint, paper and a large coffee can with holes punctured in ( thanks to swisschamp awl ) work great. 

There are these pre-made ones like this http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7416-Rapidfire-Chimney-Starter/dp/B000WEOQV8 but an old large coffee can works just as well.  When you want a good smoke flavor remember to soak your wood chips and use sparingly.  I also brine larger cuts of meat to help them from drying out.  I will also brine chicken as well and have rarely served dry chicken as a result. 

Happy grilling.
I was looking at one of those charcoal starters, just throw some newspapers in dump the charcoal in and light it up. If it's one thing I wouldn't mind getting wood wise, are those Jack Daniels pieces or the charcoals with the JD slivers in them, OMG those added some flavor! JR

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 09:25:37 PM
I was looking at one of those charcoal starters, just throw some newspapers in dump the charcoal in and light it up.

I grew up with charcoal and "lighter fluid" and when I first seen those starters/chimneys I tried it and never went back to fluids, I can taste the fluid in the foods after (long after) and smell it (yuck).

I do like the convenience of propane grills (and I really like the infra red ones!) but to me charcoal and woods are what I grew up with and cook foods best with (flavor wise) ;) 

no Offline Grathr

Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 09:28:14 PM
I use propane now, but used to use charcoal.  It jus way more convinient to use gas.
The best charcoal grill I ever had was a weber.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 04:49:10 AM
I was looking at one of those charcoal starters, just throw some newspapers in dump the charcoal in and light it up.

I grew up with charcoal and "lighter fluid" and when I first seen those starters/chimneys I tried it and never went back to fluids, I can taste the fluid in the foods after (long after) and smell it (yuck).

I do like the convenience of propane grills (and I really like the infra red ones!) but to me charcoal and woods are what I grew up with and cook foods best with (flavor wise) ;)
Last year we were at a BBQ and they had both a propane and charcoal grill going and I grabbed a burger from each one, I must say that the propane was just that plane, and the charcoal had so much flavor, and he didn't use starter fluid, I so wouldn't want to use a liquid gas..

I use propane now, but used to use charcoal.  It jus way more convinient to use gas.
The best charcoal grill I ever had was a weber.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
Yeah it's gotta be so much better to be able to just turn it on/off and not have to worry about having to wait for it to burn out before putting it away, and yeah I've been looking at the webers, I saw a show and it said that a guy took a steel float(buoy) cut it in half, added some legs, and put a vent on it to make it into a grill, thus the original weber grill! JR

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 05:30:19 AM

Last year we were at a BBQ and they had both a propane and charcoal grill going and I grabbed a burger from each one, I must say that the propane was just that plane, and the charcoal had so much flavor, and he didn't use starter fluid, I so wouldn't want to use a liquid gas..

Add a smoke box to your propane grill, I made one for mine and drop in some wood chip every time. I've had food grilled with those big egg ceramic charcoal grills and I have to say I'm not missing anything.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 12:43:32 PM
I keep looking at this thread and reading "Girls, charcoal or propane?" and always have to pause for a second until it makes sense...

:facepalm:

BTW, it's charcoal.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 01:46:51 PM

Add a smoke box to your propane grill, I made one for mine and drop in some wood chip every time. I've had food grilled with those big egg ceramic charcoal grills and I have to say I'm not missing anything.
Oh I know about the smoke boxes, I have one and would put the Jack Daniels chips in, but for some reason they never really worked for me, and yes I saw one of those eggs, OMG those things are $$! I'd get a weber before one of those, plus those things are freaking heavy! JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: May 28, 2014, 01:51:16 PM
I keep looking at this thread and reading "Girls, charcoal or propane?" and always have to pause for a second until it makes sense...

:facepalm:

BTW, it's charcoal.
Yeah I'll be reading around till I find the right one, and don't worry, your not the only one who has to read something 1, 2, or even 3 times till it makes sense! But that's sometimes fun! JR

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #19 on: May 28, 2014, 05:13:32 PM
Personally, I prefer to use my pet dragon, but he can be very temperamental at times!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: May 28, 2014, 05:41:33 PM
Personally, I prefer to use my pet dragon, but he can be very temperamental at times!
:D

Just plain charcoal here for me, what fun is it without all the man handling the fire?

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #21 on: May 28, 2014, 07:28:19 PM

You look better with dark hair...

:whistle:
game-of-thrones-khaleesi.jpg
* game-of-thrones-khaleesi.jpg (Filesize: 135.6 KB)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: May 29, 2014, 07:58:12 PM
Ok, I've pretty much narrowed it down to a weber charcoal. But the question now is which on? There's four models that I'm looking at and each has it's ups but also it's downs, but these are the models, the jumbo joe, one touch silver 18", one touch sliver 22" and lastly the one touch gold. So I kinda made a list of pros and cons, but idk, they all basically equal out, so I'm stuck, well also stuck till our friend buys my other too, but here's what I came out with,, JR

Jumbo joe,
pros
Cheapest,
18" so small easy to cary
Locking lid, transportable,
Cons
Small, need a table, needs the hinged grate, and won't fit all accessories,,

Next,
One touch silver 18"
Pretty much all the same but,,
pro
Don't need a table, it stands on it's own,
Con
Harder to carry, a little more expensive, still need the hinged grate, and won't fit all accessories

Next
One touch silver 22"
pros
Larger, fits more food, stands on it's own, and can use other accessories,,
cons
Much larger, harder to carry, still needs the hinged grate, burns more charcoal, and more expensive,,

Lastly
The one touch gold 22"
pros
Large, stands on it's own, has the ash catcher basket, can use accessories, and comes with the hinged grate..
cons
Large, the most heaviest and hardest to get around, burns more charcoal, lastly the most expensive!!

I took a look around and some people keep there grills out yet some don't and put them in the basements after use. It's kinda nice around here but my wife is freaky when it comes to trusting other people, and since other people will be walking past it and you can kinda see it from the street she'll probably want me to put it away after every time we use it, that's where the size would play a BIG toll in which is best, price wise is only like $50 diff from the cheapest to most expensive,, just a tough decision!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: May 30, 2014, 03:41:45 AM
I use a separate thermometer so the most expensive one for me is out.  I also don't require the hinged grate, while nice I think I got one much later after getting my Weber.  I had an older one 22in model and cooked the smurf out of it.  I'd suggest get one with a large cooking capacity since you have 2 growing boys who I'm sure can eat.  Mine was great for a family of 5 and you can do some serious smoking in it too.  The wheeled ones are great for portability so my vote is silver 22.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: May 30, 2014, 05:29:53 AM
I use a separate thermometer so the most expensive one for me is out.  I also don't require the hinged grate, while nice I think I got one much later after getting my Weber.  I had an older one 22in model and cooked the smurf out of it.  I'd suggest get one with a large cooking capacity since you have 2 growing boys who I'm sure can eat.  Mine was great for a family of 5 and you can do some serious smoking in it too.  The wheeled ones are great for portability so my vote is silver 22.     
Thanks, are the larger ones easy to move around? Yeah they got the wheels but what about picking up to carry or up/down steps? JR

Also, how heavy are they?

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #25 on: May 30, 2014, 05:50:58 AM
I prefer charcoal or wood,  but it is ALWAYS windy where I am and propane stays lit better. 
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: May 30, 2014, 01:19:40 PM
I prefer charcoal or wood,  but it is ALWAYS windy where I am and propane stays lit better.
There's ALWAYS a breeze here and also has it's days were you don't want to step outside.. I would guess the charcoal will stay lit but just burn out quicker, no? JR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: May 30, 2014, 04:28:32 PM
Thanks, are the larger ones easy to move around? Yeah they got the wheels but what about picking up to carry or up/down steps? JR

Mine was easily moved around and transported.  The tripod legs come off so you are left with the Kettle, Legs plus wheels, and the ash catcher which separately are easy to relocate. I bungee corded the lid when transporting and put the other items in a bag, those material grocery ones.

The kettle part is a bit awkward because the shape but once the lid is secure ( hook bungee under handle then under lid and across to other handle ) you are good to go.  WallyWorld has the shipping weight at 32 Lbs.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: May 30, 2014, 08:57:29 PM

Mine was easily moved around and transported.  The tripod legs come off so you are left with the Kettle, Legs plus wheels, and the ash catcher which separately are easy to relocate. I bungee corded the lid when transporting and put the other items in a bag, those material grocery ones.

The kettle part is a bit awkward because the shape but once the lid is secure ( hook bungee under handle then under lid and across to other handle ) you are good to go.  WallyWorld has the shipping weight at 32 Lbs.   
Well 32lbs isn't that bad it's just the awkward size and shape.. I don't need to transport it anywhere it just has to go into the basement, come to find out after each use, even though others keep there's out.. Does the 22" silver have two handles on the bottom part? I can't find a pic of one, just the gold,, and that one does. That would make it ten times easier to carry it down the steps! JR

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 11:15:28 PM
My first attempt at smoking on a charcoal Weber smoker. Time to eat. It took 5 hours at around 225 -230 F.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%