Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman quality control.

nl Offline anditsgone

Leatherman quality control.
on: May 27, 2014, 04:58:51 PM
I've been using leathermans for about a year now and i am a bit disappointed because the idea behind there multitools is so well thought out but there quality ruins it.

The last 5 leatherman's  iv'e had all sufferd quality control issues.
Most of them where not catastrophic failures but just small thing that annoys the crap out of me.

1st leahterman MUT: my first leahterman was the MUT. I've bought it off ebay because it looked cool :)
Didnt had any big problems with it except that the replaceable wire cutters came lose after a week. Put loctite on them and never had the problem again.
And it rusted very quick. the knife, saw and pliers where almost completely brown.
Sold it again via ebay because it was too heavy for EDC and didn't have enough EDC features. MY FAULT :)

2 skeletool CX: had pitting in the blade. Probably from a manufacturing defect in the heat treatment/forging of the blade.

3 Skeletool CX: send my first skeletool back to the shop and received a new one. The diamond coating was worn of the pocket clip but that really didn't matter to me because my leathermans always get scratched.
After 3 a 4 months i snapped one of the plier jaws of because i tried to break a screw.

4 Skeletool CX had to wait about a month when my new Skeletool CX arrived. The pliers broke after a month because i tried to bent a metal strip.

5 Supertool 300: i've asked the shop if they could sent me a super tool instead of a new Skeletool CX because i don't want to miss use leather mans excellent warranty by breaking a Skeletool every month.
The super tool file was not profiled correctly. It looked like the machine that profiled te file stopped too early.
So the file was only 75% profiled and the metal saw underside was pretty much useless because the theeth where not deep enough.
As with all my other leathermans the security screws/nuts came loose after a week of use so i had to use dedicated pliers to get one side out and and put loctite on them.
Also the wire cutters came lose.
Sold it via ebay because i don't EDC two multitools.

6 Leahterman Rebar: after my nr 4 skeletool CX broke i've immediately ordered a leahterman rebar because i can't go without a multitool and i didn't want to wait for a month again.
The Rebar came with a leather sheath that probably came between something in the production proces because there was some kind of dent in the leather. That wasn't really a problem for me because i had a nice wave style nylon sheath that came with my skeletool CX.
The lock on the plain edge knife side rattled in my pockets and that was very annoying.
It rattled from side to side because the handle was probably not stamped correctly and it rattled up and down because the lock spring didn't reach high enough the reach the lock plate.
I tried to bent the spring up but that didn't work because i couldnt bent it far enough to stay in that position.
When the tools where locked there was up en down play because the holes where the lock sits in where an oval shape. but that wasnt my main problem because that didn't really bother me.
After ater a week of use the security screws came loose so i had to put locktite on them.
All my Skeletools sufferd the same problem.
This thing was pretty much rust free except for the serrated blade that rusted like hell.
And the wire cutters came loose after 2 week also put locktite on the and the problem was fixed.
After 4 months of use the saw broke at the place where the cut out is for your nail.
It would be better if they did the saw and file cut out like the super tool and the blast with a small nick in the end.
It is much stronger and easier to open because it is very hard to open because you have a small leverage.

I have nothing bad to say about LM warranty because they've alway replaced my broken LM's.
But the quality issues annoys me a lot.

I am 17 years old so i don't know how the quality was for the old Leathermans but from the stories i hear it was a lot better.
I don't live in the USA but i think the quality has much to do with the fact that leahtermans are made outside the USA for the last ten years.
And made in the USA looked cooler :)

I've contacted the shop and the've hooked me up with a Brand new Swisstool X.
it was not free and i had to pay 60 euros but i think it was a good deal.
I have chosen for the swisstool because i never saw or heard bad stories about pliers braking, rust, bad quality etc..

I expect it in the mail tomorrow.

Most of the catastrophic failures with my leathrerman also have to do with my use-missuse.
The quality control was there fault.

I am new to multitool.org so i don't know if this is in the right category.

Are any of you guys experiencing these kind of flaws.
I have a feeling that there arent any good quality leathermans left because my replacement leathermans also had some kind of other flaw.

I think that if you want a good leatherman you'll have to look at ebay and get a first gen wave, PST, PST ll etc..
because they don't make them like they used to.

And i think there maybe isn't a quality control any more because most of the flaws my leathermans had where pretty easy to spot for the human eye.

No leatherman for this guy anymore :(

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Re: Leatherman quality control.
Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 05:22:04 PM
First off: Welcome to the forum!  :salute:

Second: Wow, sounds like you've had some bad luck with your tools. I won't say I never had a problem with my Leatherman's, but this sounds really bad...

Third: Leatherman's are actually still made in the USA, except that a few parts are made somewhere else, the by far biggest part of the making is done in the USA. (personally, I don't care where a tool is made, I care about how the tool performs, but lets give LM the credit it deserves ;) )

A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 05:41:37 PM
Man, bummer. i have to say there are some QC issues but I haven't  had anything like that. TBH my problems where minor and leatherman has come through every time, above a beyond the call of duty for the most part. Leatherman is rock solid in my book.

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

us Offline MGill

Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 05:42:58 PM
Welcome aboard!!

Second, I guess I've just been extremely lucky as I own around 20 or so LM tools, and not one of them has ever had any quality issues. Sure I have broken a few but that was largely because I was misusing the tools in the first place. LM is still made in the U.S. all in one factory in Oregon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 05:44:29 PM
Welcome,  sorry to hear you had a really bad experience with LM tools albeit some at your hands.  QC on2 of my tools was lacking but hasn't effected the usability of the tool.  My SS Wave came with sharp edges so I had to smooth them down before use.  My new Crunch came with misaligned plier head but I left them alone and didn't send in and they have worked fine. 

I have seen and bought Swisstools with rust so they aren't completely immune to rust and I have also bought one with a broken part so they too will break.

The file issue, pitted blade, worn pocket clip, and Rebar problems would have me second guessing LM too regardless of the CS and warranty.  All the best with your Swisstool X.         
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 05:50:20 PM
What are you doing to these tools man?!?!?!?
SAW

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 05:51:07 PM
Yeah its true but why does leatherman try to save a few cents on production costs to make it outside of the usa.

If you make a can opener in the usa or in the china the can opener stays the same and the quality also i guess.

I think it is much more important for the customer to have the feeling that ypur product is made with passion in the USA.
Not like the rest of everyday crap we use and breaks after a short period of time and then trow away because it was so cheap.
If you stand by your product for 25 years it l better be capeble of being faultless for 25 years.

Of course there warranty is excellent.
But i dont think it is am excuse for selling faulty products over and over again.

I dont really followmleatherman news but i heard theyve had a big lawsuit because there product said made in the usa but some part where made assembled

My iphone is also made in china but that is fault less and/works perfect.

If i remeber it right it was one of tim Leatherman his businuss goals to make the tools in the usa and create jobs in the usa.

But i dont get why such noticable production faults still make their way to the customer.
Do they try to save a few cent by sending the faulty product to the customer and hope we dont notice it.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 06:02:59 PM
I had minor issues with Waves in the pass, I gone through at least 4~5 of them to find one that I am happy with.

PLus Welcome to MT.O.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline trouthunter

• The missing village idiot.
Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 06:17:26 PM
Just want to point out that Leatherman's are made in the USA and are produced in Portland Oregon.  Some of the parts are made else were, like the sheath's, etc....   

Yes, Leatherman was part of a lawsuit a few years ago that comes form a very strict interpretation of the Made In the USA terms.  Leatherman has since complied with these laws. 

I have had several Leatherman's over the years and have been abusive to say the least with them.  Only have one failed.  I have been using the same PST with no problems for 30 years now. 

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 06:32:15 PM
I haven't had any major problems with my LM's, but some do suffer from minor QC problems.  I've said it before, they are not up to Swiss quality, but I think their fantastic warranty helps make up for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 06:36:57 PM
The warranty would make up for that if they would send me a flawless tool instead of another faulty one.

The PST etc where some of the best ever produced.

The younger the models are the more i hear complaiments about quality control.
I hear alot of problems with the surge and rebar quality control.

us Offline Mango808

Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 06:49:29 PM
What's this shop you keep referring to that you sent or ordered the tools from?

Since you're not in the US, could it be possible the overseas Warranty Service Center might be the problem?

Might want to email Leatherman directly and let them know of your issues and dealings with the warranty center for your country as that's what it sounds like to me.

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 07:25:26 PM
The shop i am referring to is www.knivesandtools.nl
They have a great customer service and helpen me out many times.

I don't know if the defect tool is sent to the US.

I've heard from them that victorinox Warranty is also excellent but it can sometimes take up 2/3 months.
I think that the plus for victorinox is the fact that they repair your Tool instead of giving you a new one.
Some people have good memories with there tool and would like to repair it rather than receiving a brand new one.
But this proces also takes u more time so it could also be a minus. 

Is there anyone that has a positive or negative experience with victorinox warranty.

00 Offline AaronX

Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 07:52:48 AM

Since you're not in the US, could it be possible the overseas Warranty Service Center might be the problem?

Might want to email Leatherman directly and let them know of your issues and dealings with the warranty center for your country as that's what it sounds like to me.

To have so many defective tools in a row can't be coincidence. I think the shop is just swapping defective tools amongst customers, or trying to fix them themselves.

Try buying from somewhere else. Or try this - print the Leatherman US warranty form from their website, fill it in and put your address, and send it with your tool to them. They should send it back to you, even though you're not in the US (they did for me). It'll only cost you the postage there and an envelope (what, €20?) and you'll see if their quality is really that bad.

us Offline MGill

Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 11:22:10 AM

To have so many defective tools in a row can't be coincidence. I think the shop is just swapping defective tools amongst customers, or trying to fix them themselves.

Try buying from somewhere else. Or try this - print the Leatherman US warranty form from their website, fill it in and put your address, and send it with your tool to them. They should send it back to you, even though you're not in the US (they did for me). It'll only cost you the postage there and an envelope (what, €20?) and you'll see if their quality is really that bad.

My thoughts exactly!!!

Also as I said earlier the tools are made in Portland Oregon, not anywhere else. Sheaths, bit cards, etc are made elsewhere. The reason this is done is to maximize profit return while trying to keep the general cost on consumers as low as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 07:55:52 PM
The shop where i buy my multitools in the #1 webshop in holland.
I dont think they will sell you old leathermans.
They are also certified leatherman import/retailer.

I think that keeping the cost low is the reason why this flaw are in the tools.

gb Offline nelson

Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 09:56:33 PM
Ex Swisstool x!

I've beat the living daylights out of LM tools for decades. I broke the plier head on a TTi Charge and a couple of ST flat drivers while using them to pry something, but all above and beyond the call of duty.

You've definitely had some bad luck there though, so good luck with the Sx and I'll keep an eye on the swiss section for the results :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Wake up in the morning and piss excellence  :)           (Talladega Nights)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 12:09:49 AM
After reading your story, I was thinking the whole time, you need to try a swisstool or swisstool spirit, but you have one on order so you should be happy!  I had too much rust issues with leathermans too so I gave up actually using them.  I collect them still, but for tools I use its either the swisstool or swisstool spirit x.  The full size swisstools are heavy duty beasts of pliers so if you break those you must be very strong!

As for manufacture the main body of the LM and most of the tools are made in USA.  Only of 420 grade steel though which is why they rust easier than Victorinox.  The plier heads are made in Mexico last I heard, and I believe the files are made there as well.  The sheaths are made in china.  Many people have commented on reduced quality over the years.  Ive noticed it on the smaller tools alot like the ps4.  The p4 was much more well constructed.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the swisstool!

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 01:09:15 PM
The stories on the declining nature of Leatherman's quality control are anecdotal, but numerous enough to give one pause.

Were they made better back in the old days?  All I can say is that I have a original Supertool that has been used and abused for 20 years and it's still working. There was a time where it was accidentally left outside overnight in the damp grass. I found it the next day and brought it inside, and promptly tossed the wet tool in a drawer without cleaning it. When I checked on it some time later, it hadn't rusted.

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 09:43:52 AM
After reading your story, I was thinking the whole time, you need to try a swisstool or swisstool spirit, but you have one on order so you should be happy!  I had too much rust issues with leathermans too so I gave up actually using them.  I collect them still, but for tools I use its either the swisstool or swisstool spirit x.  The full size swisstools are heavy duty beasts of pliers so if you break those you must be very strong!

As for manufacture the main body of the LM and most of the tools are made in USA.  Only of 420 grade steel though which is why they rust easier than Victorinox.  The plier heads are made in Mexico last I heard, and I believe the files are made there as well.  The sheaths are made in china.  Many people have commented on reduced quality over the years.  Ive noticed it on the smaller tools alot like the ps4.  The p4 was much more well constructed.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the swisstool!

I stil like leathermans.
But i don't want to EDC them anymore.
I like the way they have replaceable wire cutters and some other smart inventions.
But i also think that the replaceable cutters on the rebar, super tool 300 and new surge are giving um some strength.
because the've had to machine a place to fit the cutters.
But the breaking point is mostly near the joint and not in the cutter area.
If you over torque the screws you can create a fragile spot because the wholes in the plier jaws are one of the thinnest points in the plier.

But i don't see a lot of broken rebar or super tool pliers.

i've used my swisstool for one day now and i like the blunt nose type more because its much stronger and i never really the thin part of the pliers on leatherman.

I use it mostly for cutting electrical wire, bending small things (not good for MT's) and torqueing bolts.

Leatherman has an excellent 25 year warranty but i never had a feeling that my leatherman will last for 25 years. (outside the part that i sometimes miss use my MT)
If i did not fasten the security screws over time i would lose them within a year.
not after 25 years.

with the swisstool i have the feeling that it will last 25 years as long as i don't break anything.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 30, 2014, 10:24:50 AM
The stories on the declining nature of Leatherman's quality control are anecdotal, but numerous enough to give one pause.

Were they made better back in the old days?  All I can say is that I have a original Supertool that has been used and abused for 20 years and it's still working. There was a time where it was accidentally left outside overnight in the damp grass. I found it the next day and brought it inside, and promptly tossed the wet tool in a drawer without cleaning it. When I checked on it some time later, it hadn't rusted.

I don't know if they were made better but I like the old designs better. I am talking about the minitool and I freaking love it! A full set of pliers that fit in to the fifth pocket.  :multi:

And yes I know it is off topic but I just had to do it.  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #21 on: May 30, 2014, 02:06:29 PM
Were they made better back in the old days?...

The original leather sheaths were better than the Chinese sheaths which replaced them.

The finish on my PST and original Supertool are better than on newer tools.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 05:25:07 PM

I don't know if they were made better but I like the old designs better. I am talking about the minitool and I freaking love it! A full set of pliers that fit in to the fifth pocket.  :multi:

And yes I know it is off topic but I just had to do it.  :D

You're excused. :D And I agree. :tu:

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #23 on: May 31, 2014, 03:54:19 AM
Greetings OP,
I've been carrying a Skeletool for a little over three years now, and I haven't had nary a problem with my plier jaws.

You say you keep breaking them when bending things.  Are you twisting the plier head while bending? The Skeletool's jaws are rather narrow so that the tool fits comfortably in a pocket, so they're not really made to be twisted.  When bending something, you should  grab it end-on and move the tool as if you are turning a bolt, rather than grabbing the work perpendicular and twisting along the long axis of the tool.  Remember that this is a thin bit of stainless steel, and it will give before a hardened steel bolt.
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #24 on: May 31, 2014, 10:36:22 AM
Greetings OP,
I've been carrying a Skeletool for a little over three years now, and I haven't had nary a problem with my plier jaws.

You say you keep breaking them when bending things.  Are you twisting the plier head while bending? The Skeletool's jaws are rather narrow so that the tool fits comfortably in a pocket, so they're not really made to be twisted.  When bending something, you should  grab it end-on and move the tool as if you are turning a bolt, rather than grabbing the work perpendicular and twisting along the long axis of the tool.  Remember that this is a thin bit of stainless steel, and it will give before a hardened steel bolt.

The breaking of the pliers where my fault.
Indeed the skeletool pliers are rather thin.
If you carry a skeletool you should teach your self not to twist the plier head.
In my case it was a a regular wood screw. put the screw in the cut out for bolts and twisted the screw.
But it still snapped even though it was close to the joint.
Conclusion: skeletool pliers are thin an not made for bending things.  (never recommend bending things with MT)

That is also the reason why i switched to rebar.
If i need a set of pliers i want the to be capable of doing some serieus stuff.

Offline fishrule

Reply #25 on: June 01, 2014, 01:33:18 AM
Although the fit and finish on my Leatherman tools has never been as good as anything from Victorinox, durability has never been an issue for me. I owned an original Leatherman PST and after that got stolen purchased a Wave. Although I generally prefer Victorinox to Leatherman and would definitely like to get a Swisstool Spirit X someday, I would not fault Leatherman's quality. You must have had an incredible run of bad luck with your tools.

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #26 on: June 01, 2014, 10:53:41 AM
I wouldn't recommend bending with the hard wire cutter notch on any Leatherman pliers, as it's made to shear rather than to bend.  That's a good way of damaging the tool in a way that the warranty wont' cover.  When bending, I recommend using the needle nose section, and using a bolt-turning motion like I discussed rather than a twisting motion. 

Wood screws (and in fact most threaded fasteners) are made of heat treated steel that is much harder than the cast stainless steel these tools are made of.  Something like the rebar with their carbide cutters might be up to cutting hardened steel, but be aware of the force you're putting into the tool. 

I've done some pretty heavy stuff with my Skeletool, but when bending stuff with a twisting motion I usually use the Wingman or Wave and their wider jaws.  For really heavy jobs, I break out the box brake I built.
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

us Offline dustin

Reply #27 on: June 10, 2014, 09:28:58 PM
I've broke a leatherman, but I was abusing it. They're are good, but that's not the same as invincible.

za Offline hugos

Reply #28 on: May 19, 2015, 08:45:30 PM
I recently purhased a brand new TTI from a store here in South Africa. I have found that both main blades are gritty and difficult to open, I tried a bit of oil, but does not help. I do not want to return it to Leatherman RSA, as they replace units with refurb units. These sometimes have scratches and marks on them. I can see that there is only one copper washer between the frame and the blade, and not one on the handle side. Would it improve it by adding one on that side?

I also have a Charge Al and Alx, and do not have this issue, blades open smooth, but i see there are washers on both sides of the main blade.

Greetings from South Africa.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 08:46:38 PM by hugos »
Hugo Smith

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #29 on: May 19, 2015, 09:46:02 PM
I've said plenty of times before, I have had more than my fair share of quality issues with Leatherman, and actually came to believe for a while that any "B Grade" goods in the factory were destined for overseas sale rather than rejected or rectified. These days I just think they're bloody sloppy  ::) The first two tools I bought of theirs were unquestionably defective (not just design issues), and I have had others since then, and heard of plenty more.

I DO NOT associate the brand name with a high quality reliable product!

I have several Leatherman tools that I own, like and use. These tend to be older models (from back when they cared about quality), or ones where I have done some modification. If I was to look for a new multitool for someone today the first brands I would consider are Victorinox and Gerber.

Victorinox does occasionally let the odd lemon out of the factory, but these are rare. Gerber are more hit and miss with their QA, probably on a par with Leatherman in my opinion, but their tools are often better priced, and generally offer better value for money in my opinion. As for SOG, my current perspective is that the odds of them getting something right, is about on a par with the odds of Victorinox getting something wrong.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 09:57:13 PM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69