Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

mini maglite LED vs mini maglite pro

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
mini maglite LED vs mini maglite pro
on: June 06, 2014, 05:23:32 PM
I purchased a mini maglite LED a few years back. It's a pretty good light for under $20, with (if i remember correctly) a maximum output of 130lm.

my hubby and I are now back into the house hunting process, and he wanted a good flashlight for looking at houses (which are likely to have their power turned off) and didn't want me spending too much. So, a trip to Home Depot found the improved version of the LED Mini Maglite, designated 'Pro', with a max output of 226 lm.

Here's a shot of the two on high, with beams focussed to the best hotspot. The older one is on the left. They are being shined against a medium blue-gray colored wall. The batteries in both are brand new.

The old one has fairly major distortions in the hotspot, and is very yellow. The new one seems to me to be perfectly white, not leaning on the blue side, and a VERY clean spot. It's also surprisingly brighter. AND I think it was the same price as I paid for the previous one, something just under $20.

These are not the pinnacle of flashlight tech, but I think for the price are pretty excellent, particularly the new mini maglight pro.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Re: mini maglite LED vs mini maglite pro
Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 02:50:10 AM
Mags last , and while they can't defrost steaks , the are good working lights . Combined with Eneloops , they are a good combo .

Chris

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 03:14:25 AM
I've got a mini maglight from probably 20 years ago that I've recently done a 140 lumen LED conversion on (). I wasn't impressed (the lens tech has come a long way since back then) so I imagine your newer one will be much better than mine.

If you were doing it again, I'd be tempted to suggest something with an orange peel lens if you're wanting to inspect houses (it spreads the light very well).

Thanks for letting us know though, they're obviously a lot better nowadays. Your pic shows quite an improvement.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 04:07:14 AM
I EDC a minimag pro+ (2 brightness levels is the only difference from the pro).  It is extremely tough and exceptionally durable.  Maybe not the brightest 2xAA but for the price, definitely the best value per lumen

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 10:06:36 AM
I EDC a minimag pro+ (2 brightness levels is the only difference from the pro).  It is extremely tough and exceptionally durable.  Maybe not the brightest 2xAA but for the price, definitely the best value per lumen

+1.  I carry a Pro+ at work daily, and have for years.  The two brightness levels are a great advantage over the Pro (at least for me); the low setting is about perfect for reading and other close-up tasks.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 10:25:08 AM
Looks to be perfect for what you are using it for Lynn.  Good luck with the house hunting. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 08:23:16 PM

I have an AA Maglite non led in my bedroom as an around the house light. Plus if I ever go downstairs to check on something in the dark and there is an intruder, it can serve as a viable item to wack them over the head with  :tu: .
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 02:12:09 AM

I have an AA Maglite non led in my bedroom as an around the house light. Plus if I ever go downstairs to check on something in the dark and there is an intruder, it can serve as a viable item to wack them over the head with :tu: .

If I were planning to do that, I believe I would pick a larger Maglite than an AA.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%