Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Should I be happy or sad at the loss of my collection/gear?

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Hi all,

This past weekend most of my gear was let go to new homes!  I don't know if I am happy or sad over this!  I always had a few sak's, mt's and folders that I carried off/on but none seen much use and had some that I collected (very small collection to many folks, about a half dozen to a dozen). So based on that plus a few other things going on, I decided to let most, well dang near all of my items go including Leatherman's and SAK's.  I had many that I collected and just a few I used/carried.  Besides one PM2 cts-204p, one Pioneer and a Spirit RT, the items below in the pic make up my whole EDC. 

Pictured is keychain w/classic, flashlight and house key, Leatherman Croc, CT34 w/added mag layer (thanks to GigaHz and Detron), Spirit X and at top, the Salt 1.

I usually carry the keychain and the Salt 1 and will most likely only carry the Spirit X or modded CT34 if I have my backpack with me while biking as well as the Croc.

I think I have more sharpeners than sak's, mt's, folder's, etc. now as I have two 701MF's, Sharpmaker, Double Stuff, and a couple pocket Lansky's!  Is that right to have more sharpener's than blades? :)  I also think I have computer gear than blades and should try to downsize that too! :)

I will have to say that the only Leatherman I have is the Croc (cause I forgot I had it in my desk) seems kinda weird and I already miss the fact that I dont have the super bad, Super Tool 300 anymore in case I needed the big dog and my Explorer as it was carried often and one of my fav's!  So far I haven't seem to miss the rest of the items but we will see! :)

Just wondered if anyone else has done this....letting most of there items go and if so, did they regret it or come to like it!

Thanks for reading and sorry to ramble! LOL
edc060814.jpg
* edc060814.jpg (Filesize: 217.6 KB)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 06:41:17 PM by sir_mike »

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Should I be happy or sad at the loss of my collection/gear?
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 06:48:46 PM
I could never part with my collections  :o I have that "what if" mindset and have to have tools/MTs around me in bunches and everywhere (home/car/kits/bobs) ! I like rotating, cleaning, inspecting, cataloging, taking their picture lol

so I'd be sad  :(

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 07:06:21 PM
I sort of have done the same thing and it can be quite cathartic really :)

I was always using the same old tools anyway, so why not move on the rest? :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 07:09:26 PM
I wouldn't wan't to do it, but i'm sure I could sell off 90% of my collection if needed.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 07:15:27 PM
I move things around in my collection from time to time. To answer your question, if you're selling things you're going to miss then I'd be pretty sad about that.

SAW

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 07:20:38 PM
IIRC, I read a post by CB51 about letting go of unnecessary tools and how liberating that experience was.  I really did admire that wisdom of life and the mastery of oneself.

I sometimes wonder will most collector go thru that phrase of liberation eventually, and that lesson could only be learnt after my collection reach a saturation point.  But I guess I am still in the full upswing of collecting and hoarding, and that enlightenment probably won't come until much later. :facepalm:

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 07:27:48 PM
I have done this with other collections in the past like my PM2 collection but I never carried one of those except for maybe a few times cause the blade length is outside what allowed and didnt want to take any chances! :)

I know I will have regrets like earlier when I was looking for a blade to open a package and didnt have one just sitting on my desk, I had to get up and get one from my dresser as that is where I emptied my pockets at!  That seemed alittle bit of a pain as I had to walk down a flight of stairs just to get a knife!

Time will tell but I am sure I can live with just the items in the picture above as I am not a heavy user or need them for working like Joel does so my stuff sees very little use!  My wife wont camp, fish or anything like that so not much outdoors stuff except biking unless I decide to do it by myself!  Which I do think about from time to time! :)

Thanks for the comment so far! I hope to read more!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 07:36:52 PM
Can't say that I have ever sold or given away anything that I have ever collected. I still have my old stamp/coin albums, and I stopped collecting those back in 88.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline sawman

Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 07:42:05 PM
I don't have the room in my current house to have kept everything I ever collected...

Recently, I have decided (and I've said this before) to not buy anything new. The only problem with this, is new and desirable items seem to keep coming to my attention on a frequent basis.  ::)
SAW

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 07:46:33 PM
I know I would have sellers remorse in a heart beat and a hand shake.  :D
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 07:50:04 PM
I know I would have sellers remorse in a heart beat and a hand shake.  :D

but your home foundation would rejoice!
If I can help, let me know 

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 07:57:48 PM
I could do this,Vic swisschamp,LM xe6,LM og wave,and Vic explorer, I would miss the others but I would get by  :salute:

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 08:37:24 PM
I could do this,Vic swisschamp,LM xe6,LM og wave,and Vic explorer, I would miss the others but I would get by  :salute:

I think I can get by with what I have in the picture but I guess I cant rule out changing it if I run into a snag sometime where I can't get done what I need to with the items I have.  Only time will tell if I need to change it but I won't add to it, just change it!

@Chako - you have an amazing collection of MT's and other stuff that you have posted!  If I had that much, I would be a true collector and not just some guy with a few MT's and SAK's around taking up space and not getting any use! :)

us Offline sawman

Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 08:40:37 PM
Mike, just so you know I am providing a good home to the red Swiss Champ you sold me. I love that SAK and am so glad you had it for sale :tu:
SAW

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 11:17:05 PM
Mike, just so you know I am providing a good home to the red Swiss Champ you sold me. I love that SAK and am so glad you had it for sale :tu:

That is all one can hope for it when you sell something that it goes to a good home! :)

I thought I also had a Super Tinker here that Tom gave me but I can't find it anywhere!  That would have been a good rotation when I didnt want to carry the Salt 1.  I will keep looking! :)

« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 11:18:54 PM by sir_mike »

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 12:11:42 AM
I've given away individual knives.  However, I've never really downsized my collection, and don't foresee doing so.

I've read several accounts from folks who said it was very liberating to get rid of a lot of stuff they didn't use anyway and keep only the essentials.  I think this makes a lot of sense for someone who is not really a collector at heart, but a user who has a acquired a collection by trying different items over a period of time.  However, for those who are collectors by nature, downsizing is pretty much the opposite of collecting, so not gonna happen...

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 12:32:08 AM
I think you should get a new surge to replace the tools you let go Mike.

I'm a little disappointed in you for not keeping a rambler.

I'm sure you kept only what you thought you would use.

the reason I think you should get a surge is because you deserve one big tank of a tool.

the surge is one of the coolest to me but a st 300 or swisstool is just as good.

I'm glad you kept a spirit. Nice tool

« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 12:52:37 AM by JAfromMn »
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 01:18:14 AM
I think you should get a new surge to replace the tools you let go Mike.

I'm a little disappointed in you for not keeping a rambler.

I'm sure you kept only what you thought you would use.

the reason I think you should get a surge is because you deserve one big tank of a tool.

the surge is one of the coolest to me but a st 300 or swisstool is just as good.

I'm glad you kept a spirit. Nice tool

I wish I had a Rambler to keep but I gave away the ones I had.  I like them way better than the classic.  I realize that I am missing the tank MT and I have been thinking about whether I really need one or not!  I probably will pick one up sometime but not sure when.  I guess I will have to see if I run into anything that the Spirit X cant handle, then I will revise the EDC but til then.  Maybe I can put up some folders or fixed blades I dont use and get me the new Surge later on! :)

FYI - I kept the Spirit X because it didnt seem like any one wanted it when I had it up awhile ago so decided to make it mine! :)

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #18 on: June 09, 2014, 01:32:26 AM
Fyi I got my rambler from Mike he got me hooked on it.

I'm surprised nobody jumped on your spirit x

I haven't been looking at the bst . I got to get caught up on a few things.

the spirit x might be the beast of the spirit line. I'd like to try one.

good luck with starting over.

we only need what we can use the rest is all disposable.

Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: June 09, 2014, 01:51:32 AM
I'm pretty much a one tool guy myself so most every else solely for collection purposes.  My work tools are stable and have been since getting my Surge.  My off day carry has the most fluctuation but I'm happy with it right now.  I like to give away tools from time to time but as far as selling things, I don't see that happening.   

I applaud you for letting the tools go that don't see use especially if feel they should work.  I'm probably like most collectors who buy simply to have a representation of a given line of tools or a particular tool.  Mine were never destined to see usage when I bought them.   

Your current EDC looks pretty capable and awesome.  You have damn near all situations covers with that set up.       
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #20 on: June 09, 2014, 04:32:02 AM
I have done this as well, but it was probably only like half of my collection at the time.  I was still left with more than I "needed" or could get by with, but I just didn't feel I could part with them.  I haven't added much since then, mostly PSTs, a BORebar, Original SuperTool and Original Wave (ok, so I've added more than I thought ::)).  The thing is, I don't see that I can part with much at all at this point, but there's not really anything else I feel I need or want either. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #21 on: June 09, 2014, 05:24:06 AM
I'm pretty much a one tool guy myself so most every else solely for collection purposes.  My work tools are stable and have been since getting my Surge.  My off day carry has the most fluctuation but I'm happy with it right now.  I like to give away tools from time to time but as far as selling things, I don't see that happening.   

I applaud you for letting the tools go that don't see use especially if feel they should work.  I'm probably like most collectors who buy simply to have a representation of a given line of tools or a particular tool.  Mine were never destined to see usage when I bought them.   

Your current EDC looks pretty capable and awesome.  You have damn near all situations covers with that set up.     

Thanks for the kind words!  I have given this some thought and I do feel that I have a pretty good setup.  It might not be the best or work for everyone but I think it should work fine for me and then some! :)

I have done this as well, but it was probably only like half of my collection at the time.  I was still left with more than I "needed" or could get by with, but I just didn't feel I could part with them.  I haven't added much since then, mostly PSTs, a BORebar, Original SuperTool and Original Wave (ok, so I've added more than I thought ::)).  The thing is, I don't see that I can part with much at all at this point, but there's not really anything else I feel I need or want either. 

LOL, it does look like you added a few anyway!  I am sure my current setup is more than I "need" but I try to keep it simple and with minimalistic thinking as I hate to carry alot of stuff.  I did say I wont be carrying the CT34 or Spirit X or the Croc unless I have my backpack with me while biking. 

Thanks for the comments everyone!   :tu:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #22 on: June 09, 2014, 05:41:30 AM
Yeah I did add a bit huh ;)  The PSTs and OG-Wave were MTs I wanted as part of my retired LMs collection.  The SuperTool was one I decided to grab a it was practically new and a good price.  I'm glad I did.  I don't see that I would part with any of the retired LMs, but I also don't think I'd part with any of the others I have either:  Charge AL, Spirit, SSRebar, BORebar, Juice S2, Wingman/Sidekick (yup, I forgot I had those as well :P).  I almost wish I could bring myself to reduce to what I feel I really only need, but I don't think I can do that :-\  I am similar to you in that I'm not a heavy user, but I enjoy carrying them and knowing I have them just in case :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline MGill

Reply #23 on: June 09, 2014, 09:27:07 AM
Oh goodness this makes my heart hurt just thinking about getting rid of my collection. I would be devastated. You sir are a tougher man than I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 10:05:17 AM
Oh goodness this makes my heart hurt just thinking about getting rid of my collection. I would be devastated. You sir are a tougher man than I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's how I once felt, but I could sell it all if I had to. Well everything except my SAKS. :D

I might be in that boat so if anyone wants to buy a collection then let me know. Not selling the SAKs but would get rid of mostly everything else if it was a one time deal.

I say that now and in the morning I might change my mind  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 10:09:12 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sawman

Reply #25 on: June 17, 2014, 10:27:25 PM
I've gifted several of the Rebars I bought although I still have some spares. I pretty much have my collection right where I want it though there are always new goodies to drool over. I really don't want to sell anything else right now.
SAW

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #26 on: June 17, 2014, 11:03:45 PM
I hear ya!

I am reviewing what I have left and trying to decide if I should upgrade to something else or leave it.  For an example I just purchased a BM 586 Mini Barrage that has the M390 steel in it cause I wanted to try something other than the sake stainless or my Salt 1 H1 steel but not sure if I care for it yet.  :)

us Offline sawman

Reply #27 on: June 17, 2014, 11:07:43 PM
I hear ya!

I am reviewing what I have left and trying to decide if I should upgrade to something else or leave it.  For an example I just purchased a BM 586 Mini Barrage that has the M390 steel in it cause I wanted to try something other than the sake stainless or my Salt 1 H1 steel but not sure if I care for it yet.  :)
I just looked that one up and don't really care for it... not one of their most appealing blades.  :P
SAW

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #28 on: June 17, 2014, 11:51:55 PM
I hear ya!

I just looked that one up and don't really care for it... not one of their most appealing blades.  :P

You looked up the 586?  I have the spear point version and have no issues with the blade style!  ;)

us Offline sawman

Reply #29 on: June 17, 2014, 11:54:38 PM
I hear ya!

You looked up the 586?  I have the spear point version and have no issues with the blade style!  ;)
By blade I meant knife. I have no issues with its blade in fact it's the handle I don't care for.
SAW

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD