Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First time Mod

Jerm · 55 · 8055

us Offline n4vgm

Re: First time Mod
Reply #30 on: June 15, 2014, 12:58:11 AM
Welcome to MTO and envious  :drool: :drool: :drool:

nz Offline Jerm

Reply #31 on: June 18, 2014, 10:39:52 AM
I ended up finding a small collet chuck and matching collet to suit the 1/8" pivots. I used a V-block to clamp the collet chuck vertically in the manual mill. I then used an end mill to machine to the pivots down to 6.5mm.

I then used my 1/8" drill to drill out the scales, from the geometry shown above, to this new shape...

I find these things quite tricky to assemble but I got there in the end and the knife now works perfectly!  :sak:

Added some thread-locking fluid to the screws to make sure they stay in place.

Thanks to everyone on here who offered comments/suggestions!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 10:43:31 AM by Jerm »

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #32 on: June 18, 2014, 03:15:01 PM
I ended up finding a small collet chuck and matching collet to suit the 1/8" pivots. I used a V-block to clamp the collet chuck vertically in the manual mill. I then used an end mill to machine to the pivots down to 6.5mm.

I then used my 1/8" drill to drill out the scales, from the geometry shown above, to this new shape...
(Image removed from quote.)

I find these things quite tricky to assemble but I got there in the end and the knife now works perfectly!  :sak:

Added some thread-locking fluid to the screws to make sure they stay in place.

Thanks to everyone on here who offered comments/suggestions!
I'm glad you got it figured out, now we need more pics  :pok: :D
SAW

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: June 20, 2014, 02:56:00 PM
WOW!  :tu: Great work and welcome to the forum!

Did you buy the barrels and screws from the website posted in syph007's mod thread?
darren

nz Offline Jerm

Reply #34 on: June 23, 2014, 02:22:46 AM

Did you buy the barrels and screws from the website posted in syph007's mod thread?

Thanks!

Yes I did. They took quite a while to get to my part of the world, but worked well in the end.

More pics to come!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 02:30:57 AM by Jerm »

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: June 23, 2014, 04:23:43 AM

Thanks!

Yes I did. They took quite a while to get to my part of the world, but worked well in the end.

More pics to come!

Cool, I'm in Australia, guessing your in NZ? I've thought about getting the same barrels and screws but wasn't sure if they would ship here. I might have to give it a go.

Can't wait for more pics!  :D
darren

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: June 23, 2014, 08:12:14 PM
 :drool:

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #37 on: June 26, 2014, 06:28:30 AM
Amazing ! :salute:
Those scales are indeed  :drool: :drool: :drool:

nz Offline Jerm

Reply #38 on: June 26, 2014, 10:44:27 AM

Thanks!

More pics to come!

Cool, I'm in Australia, guessing your in NZ? I've thought about getting the same barrels and screws but wasn't sure if they would ship here. I might have to give it a go.

Yep im in NZ.

OK, so I have a few spare sets of these scales. Who wants some?!

Would prefer to give to anyone with a bit of experience with pivot style customs knives, so I can get some feedback on the design.

I'm willing to package and post them, recipients may or may not have to pay for shipping, depending on what it ends up costing.

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: June 26, 2014, 11:16:58 AM
Oh man I'd love to get a set of these scales!  :drool:

PM sent.
darren

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: June 26, 2014, 11:41:19 AM

Thanks!

More pics to come!

Yep im in NZ.

Would prefer to give to anyone with a bit of experience with pivot style customs knives, so I can get some feedback on the design.

I'm willing to package and post them, recipients may or may not have to pay for shipping, depending on what it ends up costing.

Very generous offer!

I don´t know how many spare sets you have, but let me suggest the following:
We do have a bunch of experienced modders around, if you wish some professional feedback, I´d send an example to:
Syph007, PTRSAK, RickinFL, Crackout, Hanksolon, Metropolicity ...
I don´t want to step on anyones toes and I´m aware the list is probably not complete.

But all those I mentioned are experienced modders and I could imagine they would like to have a go at those scales and show us some nice mods and share their experiences with you and the crowd.

Syph007 has probably done the most screw/pivot based SAK mods around here and knows about the difficulties of the 84 mm chassis.
The others are making less mods, but do high quality work nonetheless. Metro, while not modding SAKs on a regular basis, is an experienced modder, a product designer and has hexperience in 3D modelling and prototyping. and he mentioned he´d like to try a SAK mod some time ago.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #41 on: June 26, 2014, 03:46:31 PM
Ya I gave up on the 84 size mods, just not my thing I find the frame to limiting, and all my secondary produced parts like liners etc are all on the 93mm size.  I think its part OCD too, I dont like the non symmetrical design.  Ironically I do like the cellidor 84s, the small tinker is a favorite of mine.. so what do I know.  :D

I will add though that if anyone needs a set of pivots and doesn't want to pay the expensive knifekits shipping for a few parts ( I think its $30 for international ) I can sell you a set of pivots and screws, and international shipping I can do for $6.  I buy them 200 at a time so I have quite a few on hand usually and can save you some money on shipping.

Cheers
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: June 26, 2014, 04:17:53 PM
I did not want to force you, Syph... ;)
I remember you would no longer offer 84 mm mods because of limited tool choices and teh thin scales - But I figured this might be tempting and you would be able to give a very educated feedback.

nz Offline Jerm

Reply #43 on: July 02, 2014, 03:48:53 AM

Thanks!

More pics to come!

Yep im in NZ.

Very generous offer!

We do have a bunch of experienced modders around, if you wish some professional feedback, I´d send an example to:
I don´t want to step on anyones toes and I´m aware the list is probably not complete.

But all those I mentioned are experienced modders and I could imagine they would like to have a go at those scales and show us some nice mods and share their experiences with you and the crowd.

Syph007 has probably done the most screw/pivot based SAK mods around here and knows about the difficulties of the 84 mm chassis.
The others are making less mods, but do high quality work nonetheless. Metro, while not modding SAKs on a regular basis, is an experienced modder, a product designer and has hexperience in 3D modelling and prototyping. and he mentioned he´d like to try a SAK mod some time ago.

Thanks for you input and suggestions.

These scales are working fine now so anyone who has modified an Alox knife before shouldn’t have any trouble. I don’t think it is any more difficult to assemble than a normal Alox pivot mod.

I have already offered some to Syph007 but he wasn’t all that interested as he doesn’t work with this size knife, as he explained above.

I’m reluctant to contact everyone personally, but if they show interest on this thread I’ll consider sending some out to them.

Offline Glofindel

Reply #44 on: July 02, 2014, 04:10:54 AM

Thanks!

More pics to come!

Yep im in NZ.

Very generous offer!

Thanks for you input and suggestions.

These scales are working fine now so anyone who has modified an Alox knife before shouldn’t have any trouble. I don’t think it is any more difficult to assemble than a normal Alox pivot mod.

I have already offered some to Syph007 but he wasn’t all that interested as he doesn’t work with this size knife, as he explained above.

I’m reluctant to contact everyone personally, but if they show interest on this thread I’ll consider sending some out to them.
I do mod 84mm but on Brass pivot pins not barrel, so if those scales are in 2.2, 2.5 or 3mm I am sure can mod on that.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #45 on: July 02, 2014, 09:45:14 AM
I will add though that if anyone needs a set of pivots and doesn't want to pay the expensive knifekits shipping for a few parts ( I think its $30 for international )...
Oh REALLY? Dang, I was going to get some for a possible Wenger Ranger mod (although I don't yet know what size I'll need)...

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #46 on: July 02, 2014, 01:57:18 PM
Well, I would be interested in a pair (or two).

Purely to give my X-Spurt opinion on naturally, not just because they are cool.

I'm sure a SAK assembled on these scales would fit right in to my "Recruit Parade"

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,41214.0.html

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: July 08, 2014, 01:48:10 PM
I wonder why there is not that much interest, but I would liek a pair to have a try, if possible.

nz Offline Jerm

Reply #48 on: July 13, 2014, 03:54:45 AM
I wonder why there is not that much interest, but I would liek a pair to have a try, if possible.

PM me your address and I will see what I can do.

us Offline chivaceae

• 'ta bueno!
Reply #49 on: July 13, 2014, 06:23:18 AM
Jerm,

I'll be interested in a pair of scales if still available. I have modded a few 84mm, and have a couple on the work (I like this size). PM on the way. Thanks!

Raul

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: July 17, 2014, 03:08:00 PM
I just wanted to say thanks to Jerm for the scales he sent me. I'll be giving them a go when I get a chance. Hopefully not to far away!
:cheers:
darren

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #51 on: August 07, 2014, 02:48:03 PM
Many thanks to Jerm for the scales.

I've gone a slightly different route. I have taken these back to a peened pin construction.
I made some bushings from 1/8" brass tube to fit in the holes. These were flared using a centre-punch to fill the countersink. The internal diameter of this tube is just right to use 3/32" (2.38mm) pins.
I drilled the holes in all the parts out with a 2.35mm carbide drill and polished them with a 240 diamond grit needle file.
For the pins I used some 3/32" Nickel Silver rod, giving it a spin in the drill with some 320 wet&dry to give it a nice polish and bring it down a few hundredths to fit in the holes nicely.
I kept the liners from the donor Recruit, polishing them on my cloth wheel with green compound. I think the polished aluminium looks good in the cutouts of the scales.
There is no lack of stiffness or snap in this puppy.

Damn hard to photograph...

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 03:04:24 PM by PTRSAK »

Offline Glofindel

Reply #52 on: August 08, 2014, 01:01:18 AM
Pins look fantastic

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #53 on: August 08, 2014, 01:10:27 AM
Pins look fantastic
+1 The entire thing looks fantastic! :2tu:
SAW

nz Offline Jerm

Reply #54 on: August 09, 2014, 08:20:42 AM
Awesome! Great to see the scales have been put to good use and in a different way to which they were designed.

Many thanks to Jerm for the scales.

I've gone a slightly different route. I have taken these back to a peened pin construction.
I made some bushings from 1/8" brass tube to fit in the holes. These were flared using a centre-punch to fill the countersink. The internal diameter of this tube is just right to use 3/32" (2.38mm) pins.
I drilled the holes in all the parts out with a 2.35mm carbide drill and polished them with a 240 diamond grit needle file.
For the pins I used some 3/32" Nickel Silver rod, giving it a spin in the drill with some 320 wet&dry to give it a nice polish and bring it down a few hundredths to fit in the holes nicely.
I kept the liners from the donor Recruit, polishing them on my cloth wheel with green compound. I think the polished aluminium looks good in the cutouts of the scales.
There is no lack of stiffness or snap in this puppy.

Damn hard to photograph...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68