Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MR. PINCHY has joined my collection (questions for the Gerber experts)

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
So I finally got an older Gerber, like the one I had when I was in the Navy and lost to Davy Jones locker.

I bought it from an ebay dealer that I have bought several things from, and was pleased with what arrived.  I say this because the seller had 5 of them, which means on one is pictured, so I had a little fear, this ebay dealer has what I consider fair prices.

anyway, this is very similar to what I had in the later 90s, but the plier head does seem a little different that some I have seen in the forum from the 1992 catalog

anyway the only picture I was able to find (without spending hours searching) that has a similar plier head shape is from Chako in the second picture on this post, second photo, second from the left

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,17190.msg325633.html#msg325633

anyway, if anyone can help me understand where in the Gerber time frame this falls, or any info about it, that would be greatly appreciated.

to the photos

notice the the back of the plier head is straight, and does not curve back in.  this head is shaped like an "A"

I need to do some cleaning,  I also noticed this has a bolt/nut combo as the hinge pin for the inner tools.

well, I am very happy to have this in my collection, and it quickly reminded me of how easily it can great a blood blister   :rofl:

« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 05:50:08 AM by detron »
If I can help, let me know 

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
I believe that what you have there is a Version 5 Mr Pinchy (a.k.a "Multi-Plier").

These were the last of the non-locking Mr Pinchies, and came with either robust blunt nose pliers (like yours) or needle nose pliers (the first time Gerber offered nn pliers in their full size tools).  The easiest way to distinguish them from the earlier Mr Pinchies is the rivets for the sliding mechanism (the earlier versions all had button head allen screws and the blunt nose pliers were also different - more "delicate").

After these came the Multi-Lock Gerbers, with plastic tool locks (usually black).  Later these were called MP600 and Gerber is still making them now (in many variants).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

be Offline Top-Gear-24

I think that's the same Mr. Pinchy as mine (even the sheaths match), I bought mine "around" '97.  I carried it a couple of times back then, it bit me once and I've never carried it again since then  ::).

But I do like the sound they make ...

us Offline detron

thanks to both of you!  I am just happy it is the same version as my first MT

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Glad you were reunited with a classic. I wish I'd kept better track of some of my stuff in the past, but alas, there's new gear these days to keep me occupied.
SAW

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
I have one the same as Detron that I bought new back in the 90's in Oz.  Once it bit me (blood blister hard) it got left in the glovebox of my Landcruisers,  nowadays it lives in the glovebox of my van.  Its still going strong, but I'm a bit careful how I use it.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Very nice, Detron!  :tu:  That's a classic for sure.  Just get yourself a chain mail gauntlet and put it to work!  ;)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline detron

Very nice, Detron!  :tu:  That's a classic for sure.  Just get yourself a chain mail gauntlet and put it to work!  ;)

I was thinking this

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44