Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Show off your Sak mod's!

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Show off your Sak mod's!
Reply #4530 on: July 24, 2016, 05:00:42 PM
and slapped some custom wood scales made by a friend.

What wood is this? Looks almost like alder...

Am sending this to my friend (who did the custom scales) for re-stamp pressing of the Vic Shield.

Great R&D.  Next time you can peen first then ship it off for the emblem.

I really wanna try some wood scales...I have a bunch of woods here from guitar building, purpleheart, ebony, various mahogany, maple, ash. I think I can route a clean channel in the scale for tweezers/toothpick using a Dremil router base and a guide...but looking at a factory scale I notice the "roof" of the tweezers slot is higher in the middle (allowing the tweezers to expand slightly).  Not sure of any precise way to do that arch.
I Don't know what its called in English but its a local Indonesian wood called Cendana... Yup may have to peen first before emblem. Amazing how much stuff you learn as you go... Next time I do wood, will probably try laser engraving...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4531 on: July 26, 2016, 08:00:58 PM
The wood is beautiful :cheers: Love how simple and elegant it is :cheers:

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #4532 on: July 27, 2016, 11:25:32 AM

Am sending this to my friend (who did the custom scales) for re-stamp pressing of the Vic Shield.

I really wanna try some wood scales...I have a bunch of woods here from guitar building, purpleheart, ebony, various mahogany, maple, ash. I think I can route a clean channel in the scale for tweezers/toothpick using a Dremil router base and a guide...but looking at a factory scale I notice the "roof" of the tweezers slot is higher in the middle (allowing the tweezers to expand slightly).  Not sure of any precise way to do that arch.
I Don't know what its called in English but its a local Indonesian wood called Cendana... Yup may have to peen first before emblem. Amazing how much stuff you learn as you go... Next time I do wood, will probably try laser engraving...

I didn't realize you're from Indonesia! Greetings to Jakarta and Bali! I miss makanan Indonesia, alamak...

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #4533 on: July 27, 2016, 11:30:52 AM

I didn't realize you're from Indonesia! Greetings to Jakarta and Bali! I miss makanan Indonesia, alamak...
Hahaha... Selam--dan Indonesia, my friend...

us Offline Wade Eva

Reply #4534 on: July 27, 2016, 11:09:35 PM
Built this one last month.  It's my take on a Farmer X.  It's a SPECIAL one.

Can you figure out what makes this one so SPECIAL? ;)

(Please excuse the dirty knife.  Just pulled it from my pocket to shoot.)

FullSizeRender (1).jpg
* FullSizeRender (1).jpg (Filesize: 157.01 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4535 on: July 28, 2016, 01:22:42 AM

Sweet two tone mod :drool: :cheers:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #4536 on: July 28, 2016, 07:08:15 AM

Very nice ☕️

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #4537 on: July 28, 2016, 10:15:01 AM
+1
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #4538 on: July 28, 2016, 12:49:29 PM

What doesn't make it special?  So much niceness... even if it did apparently wake up with a bit of a hangover and put on 2 left shoes :)

Nice brass liners, and is that a brass spacer/keyring loop as well?  Nice rivetting work, it must take a bit of courage to swing the hammer at an expensive red scale.

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #4539 on: July 28, 2016, 03:12:31 PM

What doesn't make it special?  So much niceness... even if it did apparently wake up with a bit of a hangover and put on 2 left shoes :)

Nice brass liners, and is that a brass spacer/keyring loop as well?  Nice rivetting work, it must take a bit of courage to swing the hammer at an expensive red scale.

Exactly, the combo of scissors, brass liners, kooky crazy mismatched scales, and what I think is a genuine Victorinox clip? together the combo gives off "custom" along with a hint of vintage militaria kind of a feel. The patina would go nice with a worn drab canvas sheath.

It's kind of like certain types of muscle car builds, deliberate use of a primer-only finish but fancy engine, etc...certainly not off the shelf...BUT ALSO...in terms of functionality...sweet spot between size and number of implements, and an all metal build always feels like you can jump out of a helicopter with it. And this might sound weird but I like the peening, like the amount of facets vs smooth dome surface...and I like that you didn't go with torx for this look. Basically it looks hand hammered as if this is a 40's military item. .I always overlook scuffed up colored alox knives on ebay thinking I would want plain aluminum so the scuffs don't show...but when you do everything else rebuilt and clean, then they're like $400 ripped up rock'n'roll jeans. This would go nice with one of them silly right-angle flashlights with maybe an amber lens in it.  Aluminum boyscout canteen...all set. And if you do drop it on the rocks...it's whatever. But you won't drop it cuz of that clip....
-JJL
instagram: jamesjlarue (warning, lots of cat pics along with the SAKs)

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #4540 on: July 28, 2016, 03:38:36 PM
I know these guts posts aren't pretty but..technically it's showing off my mod right?

My plan to put the finer inline phillips (from 111mm Outrider) across from standard inline philips has been replaced with the notion of mounting it across from a nail file (from Sportsman) using a blades-layer spring...

The fine phillips is the thickness of scissors, looks to me that the blade spring is very very close to the same thickness.

I would use a liner WITHOUT the raised section for contemporary/thinner main blades, but instead a flat liner, so the phillips can take up the full thickness of the layer, and of course the spacer for the nail file...

This would allow large and pen blades in one layer then nailfile and fine phillips in another.  But also there's the dilema of the rear tool, I'm guessing multipurpose hook, corckscrew and backside phillips are the only ones of (near)correct thickness.

Anybody know if something off the 58mm or 74mm knives would be the correct thickness to use as the backside tool? If not, are there any 91mm blade-layer springs without a back tool, like some 84mm models have?

It looks tight but it looks like it might close up perfectly...(less "rigged" than my previous idea)....I don't have a spare nail file so I'm mocking it up here with a small blade and the wrong liner...I think the nail file isn't as wide as the blade, perhaps leaving slightly more room for the phillips.
20160728_062035.jpg
* 20160728_062035.jpg (Filesize: 62.3 KB)
-JJL

us Offline Wade Eva

Reply #4541 on: July 28, 2016, 08:08:40 PM
Thanks for the complements guys!  Much appreciated.

What makes this one so SPECIAL is...............................

that I messed up and put the saw and scissors on the wrong sides.  So the nail nick for the scissors is behind the saw!  It's still accessible due to the bendy nature of the saw, but still!   ::)

Anyway, it's my EDC and I really love it.  I have and extra Cutlery Shopp Blue Farmer that's up next.  Just need to make liners.

I can do smooth peened pins, but I like the hammered look.  Just gives it some character.  And yes, the key ring loop/spacer is brass.

The pocket dangler (clip) is home made.  Stainless Steel baby spoon gave up the ghost for this one!

And the added benefit is that with the left over parts, I make a two toned Pioneer.

Finally, thanks to all the contributors to this site/forum.  The wealth of knowledge is second to none and the professionalism is above par.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #4542 on: July 29, 2016, 02:36:01 AM

That's what she said...
:whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4543 on: July 29, 2016, 03:19:52 AM

That's what she said...
:whistle:

:facepalm:

:rofl:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #4544 on: July 29, 2016, 08:50:40 AM
Minichamp autopsy for reference... In case anyone needs it...

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #4545 on: July 29, 2016, 10:19:35 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

I don't have any, but it's good to have that kind of pic under the hand :)
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #4546 on: July 29, 2016, 11:00:14 AM

:popcorn: :popcorn:

So I've been meaning to ask, after seeing the small magnetic phillips/can opener combo tool from mini champ/etc used as back side tool on 91mm knife...can the tools from the back of 91mm knives, aside from corkscrew and phillips, but mounted in a mini champ chassis?
-JJL

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #4547 on: July 29, 2016, 11:25:49 AM
Syph has put an awl on a 58mm:

The other was to have the awl from a 91mm replace the cuticle pusher / ruler layer. 

The awl actually fits really well.  I filled the original 2.5mm hole with brass and re-drilled a 1/16th inch hole for the right spot for a 58mm hole.  In this super up close pic you can see what I mean.

This is just a test setup to see if the awl works and it does.  Snap is perfect.  The only other thing it needed was a very very did I say very, tiny washer that is 0.010" thick.  That was not fun to make.  I drilled a 1/16th inch hole in some sheet stock, and then by hand and with needle nose pliers turned it into a round washer.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #4548 on: July 29, 2016, 11:59:09 AM

So I've been meaning to ask, after seeing the small magnetic phillips/can opener combo tool from mini champ/etc used as back side tool on 91mm knife...can the tools from the back of 91mm knives, aside from corkscrew and phillips, but mounted in a mini champ chassis?
That one I haven't explored...

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #4549 on: July 29, 2016, 12:01:49 PM
Syph has put an awl on a 58mm:

The other was to have the awl from a 91mm replace the cuticle pusher / ruler layer. 

The awl actually fits really well.  I filled the original 2.5mm hole with brass and re-drilled a 1/16th inch hole for the right spot for a 58mm hole.  In this super up close pic you can see what I mean.

This is just a test setup to see if the awl works and it does.  Snap is perfect.  The only other thing it needed was a very very did I say very, tiny washer that is 0.010" thick.  That was not fun to make.  I drilled a 1/16th inch hole in some sheet stock, and then by hand and with needle nose pliers turned it into a round washer.
Nice share...

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #4550 on: July 29, 2016, 12:12:07 PM

I don't have any, but it's good to have that kind of pic under the hand :)
:cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4551 on: July 30, 2016, 12:37:54 AM
Some very good info, pics and links there :cheers:

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #4552 on: August 01, 2016, 04:15:40 AM
Some scissors I did recently ;)

If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #4553 on: August 01, 2016, 05:02:00 AM
Finally had a moment to finish up this guy.  I bought this as an Outrider to get the fine IL phillips for modding into a 91mm knife. It had a chip out of the blade so I just serrated it and removed the chip.

Originally I was gonna put the openers layer in here too, and as somebody mentioned then that's just a Rucksack, which is a standard model. I didn't end up putting them in here thinking it would be a better feel for use as an actual knife. So it's just main blade, WS and corkscrew...not sure what model that is.

Now...here's a question for you 'spurts. You can see I used the thicker (aluminum?) liners on the outsides instead of the thinner liner (nickel silver?) shown in the pic next to the knife.

I did this because when I got it together with the thinner liner on the outside (usually part of the openers layer) with the slight bow/bulge stamped into it, the knife felt too...flexible/fragile I guess.

So I used the thicker one for the outside

There's a thicker one with a cutout in it that I put in the middle (on the Outrider it was between the scissors and openers, but I've seen variants where they used a non-cutout/thick liner in that location.)
I didn't want to put that one on the ouside since there would be nothing to support the scale in the cutout area.

So I used the thick one with no cutout for the outside. It works, the saw closes...but what am I actually supposed to use if the saw is on the outside like that and there are no openers?
I suppose the thick liners should be on either side of the blade as they were on the original knife, and maybe I need to fab a thin but flat liner, or additional thick/flat liner for the other side?

I'm thinking about putting those openers in there anyway, no big deal re-doing it. I like the feel of this size though. Need a Hercules for the collection.
20160731_190408.jpg
* 20160731_190408.jpg (Filesize: 110.48 KB)
-JJL

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #4554 on: August 01, 2016, 11:05:39 AM
Amazing skills guys..  :tu: :tu:

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #4555 on: August 01, 2016, 03:54:25 PM

There may be a problem with the hole sizes when the tool is transplanted in "that direction".

us Offline JamesJ

• No Life Club
Reply #4556 on: August 02, 2016, 12:15:26 AM

There may be a problem with the hole sizes when the tool is transplanted in "that direction".

ahhhhhh, so either need to peen some brass in on every tool and grind flat to redrill smaller (ughh) or enlarge everything to match...I think I might just take all my favorite tools and tie them all to a string and wear it as a necklace. Ultimate mod.
-JJL

id Offline classicrock

• With every mistake we must surely be learning
Reply #4557 on: August 14, 2016, 01:56:36 AM
My latest mod. Made from leftover parts. I always wanted to built SAK for my car's toolbox. And here it is. Should I named it Helper?

Sent from my SM-J500G using Tapatalk

-Supported by Manager/Small Tinker/Compact/Deluxe Tinker/Spirit XC-

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #4558 on: August 14, 2016, 03:36:26 AM
My latest mod. Made from leftover parts. I always wanted to built SAK for my car's toolbox. And here it is. Should I named it Helper?

Nice build... If scissors were added then it would be called a master craftsman / astronaut

id Offline classicrock

• With every mistake we must surely be learning
Reply #4559 on: August 15, 2016, 02:21:16 AM

Nice build... If scissors were added then it would be called a master craftsman / astronaut

Thanx a lot Jaya! Thanx for the pins and bushings

-Supported by Manager/Small Tinker/Compact/Deluxe Tinker/Spirit XC-

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20