Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First kayak test

Grathr · 30 · 3353

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
First kayak test
on: June 22, 2014, 07:01:47 AM
Yesterday I finally got to put my new boat on the water :)

I drove to one of the larger lakes in the area wich has a narrow fjord with shallow water,  wich I figured would be a nice place to start.

It was absolutely fantastic.
I even managed to take some pics:

Lessons learned:
It was colder in the water than I thought. I must get a wet shuit, in case I end up in the water some distance from land.  I talked to my neighbour when i got home and personally knew a kayaker who died of hypothermia in the same waters I plan to paddle. He had worn no west or wet suit though.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: First kayak test
Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 07:24:39 PM
Looks great Grathr. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 07:27:40 PM
Cold water is no joke.  I tried swimming too early in the year a while back and my toes were blue for a couple of hours afterwards.  That was after only a few minutes in water that was only a few degrees above freezing.

Good choice on the knife.  I don't know much about that particular Bear Grylls knife but I will say that making sure you have a good fixed blade in a conveniently accessible place.  I usually stick to the CRKT Neckolas because it's easy to grab and orient and the rounded tip means I am somewhat less likely to stab myself.  Still, the blade is pretty short and I could probably be happier with it if it was another inch or so longer.

I'd also suggest that you work on figuring out some rescue techniques, both for yourself and others.  I have taken courses, but that was mostly to help other people.  I learned to get in and out of the kayak myself mostly just because I wanted to go swimming in the middle of the lake.  It's very reassuring to know how to get into a boat in case of an accident.

Especially in the limited time you have in cold water- you don't want to spend more time there than you have to, and this video shot by my friend Frank shows what happens when cold water starts to affect you and how it compounds itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWWszh-tlkg

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 09:25:39 PM

Cold water is no joke.  I tried swimming too early in the year a while back and my toes were blue for a couple of hours afterwards.  That was after only a few minutes in water that was only a few degrees above freezing.

Good choice on the knife.  I don't know much about that particular Bear Grylls knife but I will say that making sure you have a good fixed blade in a conveniently accessible place.  I usually stick to the CRKT Neckolas because it's easy to grab and orient and the rounded tip means I am somewhat less likely to stab myself.  Still, the blade is pretty short and I could probably be happier with it if it was another inch or so longer.

I'd also suggest that you work on figuring out some rescue techniques, both for yourself and others.  I have taken courses, but that was mostly to help other people.  I learned to get in and out of the kayak myself mostly just because I wanted to go swimming in the middle of the lake.  It's very reassuring to know how to get into a boat in case of an accident.

Especially in the limited time you have in cold water- you don't want to spend more time there than you have to, and this video shot by my friend Frank shows what happens when cold water starts to affect you and how it compounds itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWWszh-tlkg

Def

Thanks for the tips.
I think the BG knife is a bit short, so Im looking for something similar but with a longer blade to have in the same place.

I have experiensed hypothermia to the point where you loose control of your body and just collapse shivering like crazy, not caring wether you live or die. Fortunately It was under fairly controlled circumstanses in the army with people ready to help. It was a real eye opener.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 12:03:44 PM
Try to find something with a blunt tip.  If you go into the water and need to cut yourself free of something the last thing you want is to compound your problems by opening a large hole in yourself!  :ahhh

Diving Sparrow Knives has produced a nice kayak knife with Boker that might be of interest.

https://www.boker.de/us/fixed-blade-knife/boker-plus/tactical-knife/02BO284.html

I find it a bit longer than I am comfortable with, but if you want a longer knife this might not be a bad choice for you.  I can snap a few photos for you if you like as I have one.  :D

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 06:03:24 PM
Grathr,

Looks like some fun time from the pictures, thanks for sharing!

Def

Those are great tips.  I am not a water-sport person, so this read is very refreshing to learn from people who are good at them.  The closest I got to hypothermia is I felt the warmth of blood rushing back into the core of the body, I don't know that was a sign, but did get out of the cold immediately, since that sensation was rather unusual and it felt wrong to me.  In retrospect, Grathr definitely pushed himself further than I did. :D

no Offline Grathr

Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 06:35:05 PM

Try to find something with a blunt tip.  If you go into the water and need to cut yourself free of something the last thing you want is to compound your problems by opening a large hole in yourself!  :ahhh

Diving Sparrow Knives has produced a nice kayak knife with Boker that might be of interest.

https://www.boker.de/us/fixed-blade-knife/boker-plus/tactical-knife/02BO284.html

I find it a bit longer than I am comfortable with, but if you want a longer knife this might not be a bad choice for you.  I can snap a few photos for you if you like as I have one.  :D

Def

That looks like a very good rescue knife. Some pics would be helpfull :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 12:00:07 PM
Sorry for not getting these posted sooner.  :D

It's a very nice knife, and a lot lighter than you think it's going to be.

Def

no Offline Grathr

Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 09:37:25 AM
Thank you.
Ill have to look into that one. It looks like a real solid tool with the serrations at the right end of the edge. :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 11:21:23 AM
Great pics mate  :salute: my friend has asked me out kayaking as he has 2 kayaks since seeing your pics i cant wait, :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 02:17:04 PM
The good news is that it's very hard to be hit by a car while kayaking!  :ahh:

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 02:38:36 PM
The good news is that it's very hard to be hit by a car while kayaking!  :ahh:

Def

Not the way my lucks going Boss  :rofl:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 02:43:09 PM
 :ahhh  :ahhh
gibbs-aquada.jpg
* gibbs-aquada.jpg (Filesize: 72.82 KB)

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 05:03:50 PM
 :rofl:

Paul, maybe you need to look into getting something like this. It should float too. :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 05:08:04 PM

Paul, maybe you need to look into getting something like this. It should float too. :D

(Image removed from quote.)

:rofl might get a bit hot  :D

no Offline Grathr

Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 06:42:04 PM
Am I the only one thinking of Michael Palin in the griswalds goes to Europe, or was it griswalds on vacation?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 06:59:13 PM
Lol it was national lampoons European vacation don't think it was Palin but another python member Eric idle :tu:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 07:03:19 PM by Zed »

no Offline Grathr

Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 07:24:51 PM

Lol it was national lampoons European vacation don't think it was Palin but another python member Eric idle :tu:

You are probably right :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 09:54:37 PM
The Zed man is right.  It was European Vacation and Eric Idle. And probably very sad that I knew that off the top of my head....

Def

no Offline Grathr

Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 07:08:54 AM
I actually got both actor and movie title wrong, and yet everyone knew what movie and caracter I was talking about...
That movie must be more popular than I thought :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: July 19, 2014, 03:31:03 PM
That movie was on a week back and still makes me laugh  :rofl: ive got family vacation and the christmas one here on dvd must get european vacation as well  :tu: im sure rusty and audrey look different  :think:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: July 19, 2014, 03:56:48 PM
Only the first two movies, Vacation and European Vacation had the same Rusty and Audrey. In Christmas Vacation the part of Rusty was played by Johnny Galecki, better known as Leonard on Big Bang Theory.  :D

Def

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: July 19, 2014, 04:01:15 PM
Only the first two movies, Vacation and European Vacation had the same Rusty and Audrey. In Christmas Vacation the part of Rusty was played by Johnny Galecki, better known as Leonard on Big Bang Theory.  :D

Def

Great bit of trivia boss  :salute: at least they found someone that looked like the old rusty :D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 04:03:49 PM by Zed »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: July 19, 2014, 04:36:41 PM
Yeah. I know.  I really need to get out more.

Def

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: July 19, 2014, 05:40:06 PM
Yeah. I know.  I really need to get out more.

Def

We all should  :rofl:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #25 on: July 20, 2014, 12:48:48 AM
Ggxgdzxcf

Especiallby in the limited time you have in cold water- you don't want to spend more time there than you have to, and this video shot by my friend Frank shows what happens when cold water starts to affect you and how it compounds itself.

Cxgcc,xc3ccccxxcccccccvctfc

Def
vcfr

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #26 on: August 14, 2014, 06:53:46 AM
Ggxgdzxcf

Especiallby in the limited time you have in cold water- you don't want to spend more time there than you have to, and this video shot by my friend Frank shows what happens when cold water starts to affect you and how it compounds itself.

Cxgcc,xc3ccccxxcccccccvctfc

Def
vcfr

This appears to be a butt-post.   My stupid phone turns on in my pocket at work and the movement against my leg opens apps and sends random texts and apparently posts.  I butt dialed my coworker at 430 am the other day on my way to work.  Stupid stupid phone. 

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #27 on: August 14, 2014, 08:42:02 AM
Beautiful waters! You're a Norse god, Gaute!

Sent from my Cruize W280 using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

no Offline Grathr

Reply #28 on: August 14, 2014, 08:31:45 PM

Beautiful waters! You're a Norse god, Gaute!

If a norse god is a pale slightly overveight guy with too much facial hair and a thinning hairline, then yes :D 

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #29 on: August 17, 2014, 05:10:27 PM
Hahaha! Yes you are!

Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD