Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone have experience with aftermarket Leatherman blades?

Squinty · 11 · 13451

Offline Squinty

I like the 2014 Surge, and would consider buying it, but for 2 issues - I would really miss the tiny "glasses" bit driver, and I like the premium steel on the ChargeTTi knife blade.

Does anyone know if an s30v "Charge" blade could fit on the Surge?

Has anyone had any experience with an aftermarket maker of replacement blades? I could only find these guys:

http://www.txtoolcrafters.com/products/surge-damascus

Damascus seems a bit fancy for a working tool, but they claim it will outperform 420 HC in edge retention and sharpness, which I would like.

Anyone have any experience with txtools, or other aftermarket bladesmiths?

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Anyone have experience with aftermarket Leatherman blades?
Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 01:35:43 PM
TTC are the only ones that sell them as far as I know, but they only do Wave/Charge blades and I see now for the Skeletool as well. :cheers:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&item=390807478282&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&_osacat=0&hash=item5afdf0e00a&_ssn=texastoolcrafters&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xreplacement+blade&_nkw=replacement+blade&_sacat=0&_from=R40

The Wave/Charge blade is too small, it won't fit the Surge.

au Offline TheDude

• "What is the riddle of steel?"
Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 02:37:22 PM
I just ordered a Surge and I feel your pain. Apparently Damascus is very similar in performance to 154cm steel. I bought a replacement S30V from Texas tool crafters for my Wave and apart from the international postage costing a fortune it has been a good experience. Be mindful that you may ruin the washer underneath the blade when you change it over. Others will give you better advice than I can in that regard. I couldn't be bothered modifying standard 6mm washers to replace the original so I just didn't use one.
Eventually even McGyver got himself a Leatherman

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 02:46:39 PM
Just a small tip:

If you buy a tool from TTC that already has the Damascus blade, the entire tool will be warrantied by TTC if there's ever any defects.
SAW

Offline firefightingjosh

Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 04:47:45 PM
No need for the tiny eye glass bit holder. You can put the bit in where the side clip goes. I will try and get pics.

Josh

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 06:21:32 PM
No need for the tiny eye glass bit holder. You can put the bit in where the side clip goes. I will try and get pics.

Josh
I've seen that trick but what if I already have a clip in place on my Wave? It's stuck in there pretty good too and hard to remove/replace.  >:(
SAW

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 07:07:08 PM
Click below link  for the mini bit driver->
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 07:38:02 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 04:00:27 AM
Maybe I'm a bit of a steel snob, but non stainless damascus just isn't for me.  I had a charge with their serrated and main blades done in damascus and its no where near in the same league as the swedish stainless stuff that Vic uses.  If they dont want to pay for the Swedish stuff I think they shoudl upgrade to using the Chad Nichols stuff http://www.chadnicholsdamascus.com/

I felt it was a downgrade so I didnt keep the charge.  I will say though that the blade craftsmanship was first rate, good shape and grind work.

Here is what I had.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 04:03:50 AM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 05:15:47 AM
Maybe I'm a bit of a steel snob, but non stainless damascus just isn't for me.  I had a charge with their serrated and main blades done in damascus and its no where near in the same league as the swedish stainless stuff that Vic uses.  If they dont want to pay for the Swedish stuff I think they shoudl upgrade to using the Chad Nichols stuff http://www.chadnicholsdamascus.com/

I felt it was a downgrade so I didnt keep the charge.  I will say though that the blade craftsmanship was first rate, good shape and grind work.

Here is what I had.

(Image removed from quote.)

Syph did you have corrosion issues with your Charge's damascus blades  :think: or was it a edge/hardness issue  :think: :think:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 05:23:14 AM

Here is what I had.

I just want one because it's purdy  :dd:
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Random_Username

Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 03:30:49 PM
I replaced my Surge's main blade with one from Texas Tool Crafters within six months of receiving the tool. I couldn't get the factory blade to hold an edge to save my life. Maybe that was user error, sure, but I've never had an issue like that before. It was as if the stock knife blade was made out of an old gum wrapper.

Sure, I could've sent it in for warranty repair/replacement, but then I'd have to give up the tool for some time. And lets face it, the TTC blade just looks cooler  :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%