Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Recharging 3 Eneloops at a time?

au Offline aussieman

Recharging 3 Eneloops at a time?
on: June 26, 2014, 03:20:47 AM
Dumb question... I got some AA and AAA Eneloops for my Zebralight and other head lamps etc. (and zowee, what great batteries :cheers:)

All my AAA devices use 3 batteries, but the charger can only recharge 2 or 4 at a time.

I got 6 batteries, one set spare/charging, one in use. I presume if I put the fully charged 4th one in, it will be damaged over time.

What do people do here? Just buy more spares?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: Recharging 3 Eneloops at a time?
Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 04:55:36 AM
Im not an expert on these, but I was in the same boat as you as my charger only did 2 at a time.  So I ended up buying a fancier charger that can charge 1,2,3 or 4 at a time.  It was nice to just be able to charge as many as I want.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 07:10:27 AM
Why not just charge 4 then the 2 and you have 6 fresh batteries. Use three then the other three and charge again?

Maybe i'm not reading your post correctly or understanding your needs exactly.  :think:
I'm the milk man!

au Offline aussieman

Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 07:34:30 AM
That would mean that after using both sets I have no fully charged set of three  for 12 hours while I am charging 2.

The thought of having dead light for that long is simply horrific to my tiny mind.  :ahhh

I think the simplest thing is to just get another set of 2. Sadly I can't find any locally, I cleaned out my supplier, which is why I was asking.

Unless anyone can recommend a good individual AA/AAA charger that is not pricey.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 07:39:56 AM
Ah ok I see the issue now. I think the best bet would be to buy a few more if possible. You could also get some alkaline or lithium non rechargeable to use for those 12 hours in between having your Eneloops charged.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 08:23:22 AM
These are designed for charging two batteries which are equally "flat" and have the same capacity... For example when  using two same batteries in a two-battery torch.

As far as I know they charge both batteries in series so the charging current will flow through both batteries equally irrespective of whether one is charged already or not, until they both appear charged. in theory, at least, one of the batteries may get damaged.

Slower smart chargers that charge each battery individually are about the same cost as a 4 pack of eneloops so they are the solution. (make sure that it says that they have individual charging channels)

Also, if you have 6 similarly flat batteries, what the Captain suggested will also work, if you do not want to buy a new charger.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 08:25:58 AM
you people post too fast  :D :D

GP makes some decent chargers. The slower, (4 hours +) ones are usually cheap.

Also Lidl, ALDI shops etc. have a few

There is thread on batteries and chagers too.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,37555.msg875621.html#msg875621
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

au Offline aussieman

Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 02:17:44 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.

That thread was awesome - I might end up going for a decent charger, and go rechargeable for the whole house, not just my lights. I added up all the battery devices in the house and realised that this will pay for itself easily.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 02:27:45 PM
Good idea.  I am very happy with my Maha C9000 - it cost a bit but it has lots of functionality to "revive" batteries that have been misused.  Along with std (not high capacity) eneloops I run everything that uses AAA or AA batteries on my rechargeable batteries.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 03:10:07 PM
Yes, rechargables all the way. :tu:

I replaced all my battery operated stuff in the house whit eneloops a year or two ago. Clocks, remotes, door bells, ... everything. I use Eneloops Lite for those, cheaper, more charging cycles and in such devices I don't really need lots of mAh. Bought 20x AA and 20x AAA Eneloops for cheap in a bulk order.

au Offline aussieman

Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 03:10:02 PM
Got the C9000 and loving it. THANKS for the recommendations.

Resurrecting ancient sets of Energizer rechargeables - about one in 6 were dead, and now I can see which! Matching sets...

Eneloops for the good stuff, old Energizers for the toys.

And all of it paid for in savings, cleaner with no waste.  :drink:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 05:00:12 PM
Got the C9000 and loving it. THANKS for the recommendations.

Resurrecting ancient sets of Energizer rechargeables - about one in 6 were dead, and now I can see which! Matching sets...

Eneloops for the good stuff, old Energizers for the toys.

And all of it paid for in savings, cleaner with no waste.  :drink:

As that annoying ad on TV goes:  "Smarter, cheaper,    WINNER !"    :tu:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%