Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How do you protect your smart phones?

kirk13 · 71 · 6650

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
How do you protect your smart phones?
on: June 29, 2014, 07:06:41 PM
Yeah,it's me on smart phones again :shrug:

I see so many smart phones with smashed screens( how do they still work?) and screens scratched to hell and back. If you saw the pics of my old Nokia,then you realise my phones get beaten to krap.

So,how do you guys n gals protect your phones?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: How do you protect your smart phones?
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 07:13:03 PM
I usually use flip cases and a screen protector but i ordered a while leather flip case for my Huawei Y300 and was like No its too white  :ahhh so got a clear gel case,seems too work ok but protector is more scratched than when i used a flip case  :tu:

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 07:32:57 PM
ABC world news had a coverage story on otter box vs $10 gel case on iPhone 5.
The result was shocking to me, made me switched.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/protecting-phone-23982532
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 07:37:22 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Rux

Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 07:36:13 PM
I have a Seidio case for mine and an Invisashield for the screen.

My HTC doesn't have an Otterbox so I picked up this Seidio case (everyone recommended Otterbox to me at my time of purchase). If you scroll through the images on the Amazon listing, you'll see the layers of protection.

http://www.amazon.com/Seidio-BD4-HKR4HTNXL-CONVERT-Combo-HTC/dp/B007VOLS86/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1404062915&sr=8-2&keywords=Seidio+htc+one+x

The Invisashield is pricey ($30ish iirc) which seems high for a screen protector yes, however...

The Invisashield itself has self healing properties. Scratches work themselves out. Deeper the gash, the longer it takes, but it will eventually work itself out. Some people complain about Invisashield having a tacky feeling, almost the texture of an orange so I picked up what's called the "HD" version, and it is much smoother.

I don't have phone insurance as I've always thought it to be a rip off. I've dropped this phone on concrete several times (finished up a phone call when driving, set it in my lap then hop out forgetting it's there), made a dumb move and stuck it in my pocket with keys and other phone abusing mistakes/practices.

Underneath the case is still a stark white brand new phone.

My screen shows no signs of scratches other than the one put on yesterday (slipped into pocket with keys) but it's on the Invisashield and that will eventually work itself out like every other scratch that's ever gotten on the screen before.

I know a screen protector is meant to protect against scratches but I think a scratched up protector is just as ugly as a scratched up phone. The Invisashield's self healing properties is what attracted me but the price wanted to make me barf.

Nearly 2 years later, absolutely NO complaints from me. I was skeptical of the "self healing" properties at first, but I've put scratches into the screen that are now no longer there. My phone is rather tank-ish. Money well spent.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 07:38:49 PM by WildJ3 »

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 07:37:42 PM
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 07:48:11 PM
I use an Otterbox defender on my iPhone, the only time I haven't used an Otterbox I smashed the screen. Lesson learned  :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 07:52:45 PM
Might sound silly and offtopic, lol, but I don't throw mine around, always keep it in my pants' pocket i.e. in a soft place without anything else in the pocket... and I don't use sheaths, protectors or sth..

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 08:24:42 PM
Might sound silly and offtopic, lol, but I don't throw mine around, always keep it in my pants' pocket i.e. in a soft place without anything else in the pocket... and I don't use sheaths, protectors or sth..

It's not silly, I don't throw mine around either, but my son ran into me and knocked the phone out of my hand, a £40 case would have saved a £100 repair bill.  :cheers:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 08:33:59 PM
I use a leather sheath style case.
You pull a rubberised band to get the phone out and it protects the phone from drops and scratches in the pocket.

I do not like bulky cases.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 08:47:48 PM
I don't have a smart phone but merely an iPod 4s. I use an iLuv rubber case that proved indeatructible for two years and >20 drops and a leather belt pouch that proved silly but I fixed it with the belt loop of a Sony Ericsson pouch and it's alive again. I removed the screen protection since I realized that without it the feeling and viewing is better. Someday I might buy something smart again, a LG Android, missing the smart factor since my last Clie, using a PPC and this aiaiaiaiOS thing in the meantime.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 09:17:39 PM
I use an OtterBox for my iPhone 5s. It has a protective screen which keeps it from getting scratched.

I love my phone but my only complaint is I'm constantly wiping gunk off of the screen which accumulates just from talking on it. I suppose it's better to get the protector dirty rather than the actual screen though.
SAW

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 10:09:00 PM
I've always used Otterbox cases my phones, but I'm not using anything in my Nokia right now.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 11:17:08 PM
Just one of those cheap silicon protectors in addition to a screen protector too. I do try and put it in a pocket on its own too :)

Sent via Astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 11:20:37 PM
Just one of those cheap silicon protectors in addition to a screen protector too. I do try and put it in a pocket on its own too :)

Sent via Astropathic choir.
That's a good point. I quit using the belt carry system my OtterBox came with quite a while ago. I now carry my phone in my shirt pocket whenever I go out. It's much more comfortable and doesn't pinch my waist!
SAW

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 01:16:53 AM
I use an OtterBox for my iPhone...

+1

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 01:24:51 AM
Dedicated pockets a soft case with hard shell and screen protectors "most of the time"

I've broke a few  :facepalm:
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 03:05:24 AM
I use an OtterBox for my iPhone...

+1

Ditto.  I had several cracked screens because I had a momentary case of butter fingers.  My case hasn't been off my phone since getting it nearly 2 years ago.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 06:02:28 AM
I use a screen protector and a spidgen slim armor case for my 5S. As JA said, a dedicated pocket seems to help me. I replace the screen protector every couple months. My dog tried to eat my phone and it survived. The case has some minor wounds though. I'm satisfied.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 06:18:42 AM
+1 on the Otterbox.  Work great on the Galaxy s4's we have. :)

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 11:27:27 AM
Nexus 4's are notorious for having the glass back which seems to break... my niece had one for a few weeks and just after I ordered mine she dropped hers and broke the back. Not long after that she dropped it again (with a rubber shell) and the phone completely died. I was ultra paranoid at first, and bought a Ringke Fusion shell for mine as soon as it arrived, it seemed to be the best rated cover for a Nexus 4. That being said I'm on my 11th month with my phone and it's in great shape, I also haven't dropped it (yet).
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 12:57:53 PM
I swear by the Otterbox cases myself.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

es Offline Sparkydave

Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 02:20:25 PM
Urban armour gear in orange

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #22 on: July 01, 2014, 04:40:54 AM
I use a screen protector, and a cheap rubber case if I need to put it in pocket with other stuff.

Some of the shiny rims has flaked off, but I really don't care. The functionality doesn't change, and you'll switch every 2 or 3 years anyway doesn't matter how good your old phone looks.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: July 01, 2014, 06:23:45 AM
I use a leather sheath style case.
You pull a rubberised band to get the phone out and it protects the phone from drops and scratches in the pocket.

Thank you everyone!

I've gone for one of these,see how it works out! I've tried a sock...lasted a day :facepalm: I did get a flip open cover,which I like,but is too bulky
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Online powernoodle

Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 04:50:18 PM
My Samsung S2 Skyrocket rides bareback.  I formerly used one of those bulky Otterbox cases, and they do work well, but it makes a large phone even more huge.  For me, just being careful with my phone is the best protection.  It rides in a lined Maxpedition belt holster, and I'm just careful with it. 

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 08:42:26 PM
I have a waterproof, drop proof, most things proof phone.

I am considering getting a screen protector for when it has to share with my keys.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #26 on: July 01, 2014, 10:17:46 PM
I get 10 pack screen protector from DX, they will get scratched anyway, so I just rip it off and stick on a new one when it does. Each cost 50 cents instead of $20 from local store.

us Offline LoveHate

Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 09:04:04 PM
I use the otter box preserver and it works great I've even left it in a jacket pocket thru both washing and drying in a laundry mat with no damage.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #28 on: July 14, 2014, 11:23:09 PM
I was using an Otterbox Defender on my Galaxy S3 but the outer rubber casing has gone a bit funny, it's "grown" and doesn't fit tight anymore. Almost like dome plastics do when exposed to solvents.
But this has been in my pocket the whole time and I'm pretty sure I would notice if it was getting regular doses of chemicals.
After looking at the video linked above I went back to a gel/silicone case and screenie. This seems to be doing just as good a job and will probably go this route with the new S5

Going to try out one of these new fangled tempered glass screen protectors.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #29 on: July 15, 2014, 05:09:20 AM
I had an otterbox and it was fine, but then I found this thing called a 'iBlason Prime Series Dual Layer Holster Case'.

It's like rubbery material with a harder plastic outside portion, with a 'kickstand' so you can sit it on a table and watch videos.

All that goes inside a Skinth Milky Way case. No scratches. So far, the setup has worked well.

http://www.i-blason.com/prime-series-dual-layer-holster-case-for-iphone-5c.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD