Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Crossgrip

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
  • Wanna give blood? Run from my K9...
SOG Crossgrip
on: June 29, 2014, 08:01:51 PM
I posted in the tools needed section. I'm looking for a SOG crossgrip. Does anyone have any experience with this little tool and or any advice about it. I really want one just to have. Thanks in advance.
Stew...
" If it was built by matt2silver then I want2buy it...

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: SOG Crossgrip
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 10:29:44 PM
The original ones weren't that bad but I bought one of the more recent releases of a CrossCut a while back and it was complete crap.

Good luck with your search.
SAW

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 10:49:33 PM
The original ones weren't that bad but I bought one of the more recent releases of a CrossCut a while back and it was complete crap.

Good luck with your search.
I was wondering about that. Thanks for the input Sir.
Stew...

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 11:13:20 PM
I like the lobster looking claw plier head.

but I've heard nothing but bad about there new tools.

I think the older one is the one you should be looking for Stew.

also

I think you are after the crosscut too. You might be able to find both from a collector who still has the made I'm USA tools.

good luck Man

Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 11:20:47 PM
Thanks JA, I've got enough scissors based tools. I was just hoping I might get lucky and find a crossgrip. After talking to you and Sawman I may just avoid both of them. Also keep your eyes open for a Vic/Wenger Farmer for me and let me know when ur knives arrive. I'll get u the tracking info tomorrow, it's at my office.
Stew...

us Offline sawman

Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 11:27:50 PM
I have a brand new Vic Farmer that's never seen any use if you're interested. PM me for possible trade.
SAW

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 11:30:26 PM
I have a brand new Vic Farmer that's never seen any use if you're interested. PM me for possible trade.
I'm definitely interested. I have to go to a meeting right now. Can I get with you later or first thing tomorrow?
Stew...

us Offline sawman

Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 11:31:01 PM
I'm definitely interested. I have to go to a meeting right now. Can I get with you later or first thing tomorrow?
Stew...
Sure, I'll be around :tu:
SAW

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 02:17:43 AM
I don't think there are any "new" versions of the CrossGrip around, as SOG didn't keep making them when they shifted production to China for the new version of the CrossCut.  That is why you don't see them for sale very often any more.  They do appear on ebay occasionally, and there was one just the other day.

They are an interesting looking tool with their different shaped plier jaws, but mine didn't manage to displace my Squirt P4 from my pocket as my EDC.

I have read of some that had a problem with the pliers being all floppy and off to one side, so make sure any you are thinking of buying do work properly.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 03:19:35 AM
While I don't have any experience with the Crossgrip, I have a TON of experience with the Crosscut.

I had an old (pre patent number) Crosscut that I carried for about fifteen years, replaced with a 2.0, which was rapidly replaced with an older TiNi Crosscut.

I don't think the new one is 'utter crap', but certainly not as good as the older ones. While I can't speak to the plier head, I CAN say that everything else is about on par with the Leatherman Micra, in terms of quality of build, and strength.

If you don't need/use scissors much, then I'd think the Crossgrip would be a magnificent little tool, if it could be found at a reasonable price. if it's just for collecting, and the price isn't a concern, then I'd say definitely go for it.

Even the less awesome Crosscut 2.0 (I think) is a pretty underrated tool for the price. But then, I've got 15 years of bias. So... :D

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 05:23:06 AM
I have an original USA-made SOG Crossgrip, but it is a shelf queen.   Got it as a curiosity on sale years ago, played with it, then put it away in the drawer.

The pliers are strong, though the handles aren't that comfortable.  On the other hand, the geared jaws means that you don't have to use much pressure to grasp an object.   Haven't tried the Crossgrip's other tools.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 11:21:19 PM
I have one on my keychain over any of the modern leatherman/gerber offerings, no plan to retire it yet.

Tried to use it to extract a broken key from a lock once, didn't work because of the damn thing manage to literally squish the small stub of brass sticking out, no damage at all to the pliers.

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 09:01:42 PM
I have one on my keychain over any of the modern leatherman/gerber offerings, no plan to retire it yet.

Tried to use it to extract a broken key from a lock once, didn't work because of the damn thing manage to literally squish the small stub of brass sticking out, no damage at all to the pliers.
That's interesting. I just happen to be a huge SOG fan, for better or worse.

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 09:04:06 PM
I have an original USA-made SOG Crossgrip, but it is a shelf queen.   Got it as a curiosity on sale years ago, played with it, then put it away in the drawer.

The pliers are strong, though the handles aren't that comfortable.  On the other hand, the geared jaws means that you don't have to use much pressure to grasp an object.   Haven't tried the Crossgrip's other tools.

Thanks for the input. Now Parnass, I know that you know that I know you know how badly you want me to have that tool. Ya know?

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 10:57:38 AM
There's a minor bidding war going on US eBay over a used SOG Crossgrip - the price is up to $57.00 and the auction isn't finished yet (for a used one  :o  )

Maybe the price of these is on the move (upwards), or maybe it's just two enthusiastic people squabbling over a discontinued tool that you don't see for sale very often any more ?   ???
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 12:19:59 PM
There's a minor bidding war going on US eBay over a used SOG Crossgrip - the price is up to $57.00 and the auction isn't finished yet (for a used one  :o  )

Maybe the price of these is on the move (upwards), or maybe it's just two enthusiastic people squabbling over a discontinued tool that you don't see for sale very often any more ?   ???

Wow!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 12:34:24 PM

Wow!
Still cheaper than a Micra here in Switzerland :P
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%