Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pocket clip for a MP400

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Pocket clip for a MP400
on: June 30, 2014, 04:30:00 AM
I did a quick search, and didn't see anything, but - has anybody fitted a pocket clip to an MP400?
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Re: Pocket clip for a MP400
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 11:09:54 AM
Not as far as I can remember...

If you're going to do it, don't forget how the pliers will slide out if you hang it "upside down" ;)
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 04:06:21 PM

If you're going to do it, don't forget how the pliers will slide out if you hang it "upside down" ;)

Good point, although I don't think it will be as much of an issue with the 400 as it is on the Octane. My 400 is 10 years old and it is nowhere near as loose as my year old Octane.

I think the MP400 would be served well by having a pocket clip. It is no wider than the Wingman and seems a little lighter, although it is longer. It is just strange to me that with all of the amazing mods we see here at MTO that no one would have tried to put a clip on one.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 04:10:33 PM

Good point, although I don't think it will be as much of an issue with the 400 as it is on the Octane. My 400 is 10 years old and it is nowhere near as loose as my year old Octane.

I think the MP400 would be served well by having a pocket clip. It is no wider than the Wingman and seems a little lighter, although it is longer. It is just strange to me that with all of the amazing mods we see here at MTO that no one would have tried to put a clip on one.

I think it's partly the weird-ish shape it has, in relation to most pocket-clipped items. It has parts sticking out, the locks too, and that might be discouraging for pocket-carry.

However, you might just try one of those stick-on clips, I think Nite-Ize sells them.

If not, I'm no engineer by far, but I suppose the easiest way would be to fold one around the edge, and attach it to the pivot, on the inside of the tool (no, I can't really explain it better...)
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 04:52:12 PM
I believe I understand what you are saying. If I find the right clip, I may go for it.

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 06:29:50 PM
How about a dangler using the lanyard ring ?

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 11:14:29 PM
MP400 doesn't have a lanyard ring - or, at least mine doesn't.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 11:20:03 PM
MP400 doesn't have a lanyard ring - or, at least mine doesn't.

You're correct.  Unlike the MP600, the 400 doesn't have a lanyard ring.  I've never thought of a clip for my 400, I'm fine with sheath carry.  I'd still be interested for sure in any solution you come up with to this though.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 11:25:28 AM
I would think about adding lock-notches to the MP 400s handles to make the plier head lock in teh closed position (just like teh newer Octanes)
To fit a pocket clip, I think it might be possible to fix it inside the handle, just like a tool implement.
Imagine the extended blade bent back over teh handle to form a clip.
I guiess you would have to get rid of one tool implement and you would still find a way of stopping the clip from swiveling, but this might work?!

Or you tap the handle on the plier side - there is enough room inside the handle that the screws can protrude a bit and with tip up / plier head up carry there would be no need for a lock to prevend accidental openings.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 11:34:44 AM
Nope, I can't think of anyone having done it either. :think:

I would perhaps suggest the Clipdraw pocket clip: http://www.clipdraw.com/store/index.php?rn=395&action=show_detail  but I suspect it would end up riding quite high out of your pocket.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 11:39:00 AM
I wonder if a modified wave/charge pocket clip would work , like what eodtech did  :think:, a few guys have used the Wave clip on non Wave MTs

Then there is the pocket clip from a older LM folding knife  :think:
I think this is Prime77's

I used a similar knife clip on my Pulse

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 10:28:45 PM
Thread resurrection!  I have made a pocket clip for my MP600 out of a Nite Ize pocket clip. I had already designed this before I found this thread, and I too determined that the best place for the clip to attach was INSIDE the handle. Gerber's unique pivot design allows me to add a tool without having to bother with grinding down or removing an old one, as there's plenty of adjustment room to add the small, thin clip. It took a lot of careful grinding with a dremel, but I came up with a design that I can install and remove without disassembling the tool. I simply loosen the screw until the clip fits snugly. Half-insert it (just push it down, but don't slide it) and make sure the tools still open and close with the desired resistance. First time it was too tight, so I removed the clip to adjust the tension, and then when I was happy with the tension when the clip was half inserted, I slid it down the tool until it clicked and snapped into position. If you see my grinding profile, I left a little nub to catch on the pivot. This locks it into the tool, so it doesn't slide out unless forced. Tool tension keeps it from rattling. The fact it extends down the inside of the handle (with clearance for the locking mechanism) keeps the clip from rotating clockwise, and the little bit that extends behind the locking tab and around the back of the handle keeps it from rotating counter-clockwise.

My only grip is the clip sticks up a little more than I like. I thought I'd need more clearance. If I make another one, I could have it extend about 2mm less. Can't modify this clip though, the tab that locks it in and keeps it from coming out would be ground too far away at that point. It's only 2mm, and I can live with it for now.

Yes, I know it's tip-down carry, but my MP600 is not at ALL loose. Opening the tool requires a dedicated flick of the wrist. No matter how much I shake it while holding it, the jaws will never extend. So I consider this to be a non-issue.

Charles.
IMG_4553.jpg
* IMG_4553.jpg (Filesize: 216.69 KB)
IMG_4554.jpg
* IMG_4554.jpg (Filesize: 217.27 KB)
IMG_4555.jpg
* IMG_4555.jpg (Filesize: 194.1 KB)
IMG_4556.jpg
* IMG_4556.jpg (Filesize: 212.8 KB)

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 10:31:07 PM
And here's some nice pics of the completed mod

Charles.
IMG_4558.jpg
* IMG_4558.jpg (Filesize: 193.45 KB)
IMG_4560.jpg
* IMG_4560.jpg (Filesize: 196.58 KB)

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 18, 2018, 07:05:18 AM

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #14 on: August 18, 2018, 07:36:52 AM
And here's some nice pics of the completed mod

Charles.
Very nice work, CC! :cheers:

And Sam!  :tu:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 18, 2018, 09:34:25 PM
That other MP600 had a bunch of broken tools and severely knackered jaws, along with damaged cutters. I scavanged parts out of it  -- replaced the can opener with the large flat driver and the combo blade with the plain edged blade. But just as an exercise I filed down the burrs on the cutters as well as I could, and then re-shaped the jaws so they fit completely within the handle, and also have a more pleasing shape (to me). Looks more like an original Mr. Pinchy.

IMG_4561.jpg
* IMG_4561.jpg (Filesize: 211.14 KB)
IMG_4562.jpg
* IMG_4562.jpg (Filesize: 237.69 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85