Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About MTO (But Were Afraid To Ask!)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Good read and Thanks Mr Lamontagne (Dad)  :salute:.  Great looking SAK with some wonderful memories attached. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Enjoyed reading your responses to my first questions so I have a few more.

Imagine your "perfect world" MTO website with unlimited or greatly enhanced resources. 

What would you do first?
What enhancements or changes would you make long term?
What has been your greatest frustration with the current budget?

And in the same vein, with unlimited resources which multitool would you own that you don't have now?
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
In the spirit of celebration.... What´s your favourite beer? :drink:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
I have a really important question.   What's your favourite smiley?  :D

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
How many users have you had to ban since the forums started?

I ask because this is about the least rowdy forum I've ever seen, and don't imagine the number is very high.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice

I ask because this is about the least rowdy forum I've ever seen, and don't imagine the number is very high.
Maybe its so quite here because all the rowdies where :twak:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Another one two :D

What's your favourite thread on MT.O?

And, how much percent of your posts would you consider "useful and/or serious"?  :facepalm:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline Lynn LeFey

I'm sure that's a good part of it.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.

I'm sure that's a good part of it.

If I'm counting it correctly while digging through all the spammers it looks like 22 member bans in total, though about 1/3 of it are multiple accounts of banned members and one is a moderator that got a temporary ban. Don't ask. :faceplam:

I think Allan is still proud for banning the guy with the big red ban button. :P    >:D

I'd say that considering we had a few years where there weren't any bans and for a timeframe of 8 years and more than 6k members, I'd say that's a good number.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 11:43:13 PM by enki_ck »

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
That might be a record for the internet, actually, at least for publicly accessable forums.

And people wonder why I stick around.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Unique bans per year. Mostly bad trading, cheating and harassing members, ... Backstage isn't always a fun place to be. :cry:

2006 - 0
2007 - 1
2008 - 4
2009 - 4
2010 - 2
2011 - 0
2012 - 0
2013 - 4
2014 - 2

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Enjoyed reading your responses to my first questions so I have a few more.

Imagine your "perfect world" MTO website with unlimited or greatly enhanced resources. 

What would you do first?
What enhancements or changes would you make long term?
What has been your greatest frustration with the current budget?

And in the same vein, with unlimited resources which multitool would you own that you don't have now?

With an unlimited budget I think we'd have a lot more Multitool.org branded products. I'd also be pushing Uncle Def's Premium and Ultra Premium Tool Oil a lot further! : D

Honestly, I thought it would be cool to paint up a motorhome in MTO colors and go on tour.  I think it would be really neat to load some specials and rarities into some displays, tour Canada and the US meeting members and visiting pawn shops and spring goods stores to see what goodies I can find.

What tool would I have? Probably a Wenger Giant.  I love those things. It would make a great conversation piece.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
In the spirit of celebration.... What´s your favourite beer? :drink:

Labatt's Blue, Guinness, Corona or almost anything red. It all depends on my mood, but I'll drink almost anything.  :D

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
I have a really important question.   What's your favourite smiley?  :D

:ahhh:

Without a doubt that's my favorite.

Funny story with that one- at the Maine Meetup in 2008 we met up with Hawkchucker (RIP) who actually liked this smiley so much he acted it out.  Every time I see it I think of John running around in circles, arms flailing!

I also like the Picard face palm one, but :ahhh: will always be my favorite.

I may have typed it wrong in Tapatalk....

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas

Too many.

There's an ultra secret Mod forum, accessible only to Mods (duh) where we discuss a lot of behind the scenes stuff and document discussions with various members about various things.  I can guarantee that for every member that has been banned there is at least a five page discussion about how to handle the situation, what alternatives there are and PM's sent and received between the member and moderator who took the lead.

I'm very proud that the Mods here understand that just because a member disagrees or is having a bad day that's no reason to ban them.

Unfortunately sometimes people cross too many lines or show no willingness to solve the issue and there is no alternative.  I take it personally when this happens, so I try very hard not to go there. 

Thankfully we don't have a lot of rules so it's pretty hard to break them enough to get banned.  :D

Def

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User

Too many.

There's an ultra secret Mod forum, accessible only to Mods (duh) where we discuss a lot of behind the scenes stuff and document discussions with various members about various things.  I can guarantee that for every member that has been banned there is at least a five page discussion about how to handle the situation, what alternatives there are and PM's sent and received between the member and moderator who took the lead.

I'm very proud that the Mods here understand that just because a member disagrees or is having a bad day that's no reason to ban them.

Unfortunately sometimes people cross too many lines or show no willingness to solve the issue and there is no alternative.  I take it personally when this happens, so I try very hard not to go there. 

Thankfully we don't have a lot of rules so it's pretty hard to break them enough to get banned:D

Def

Boss,  this is my view here,  but it seems that 99% of the people here abide by rules of morals (Golden rule?)  that society as a whole seems to have abandoned, and it is wonderful  :dd:
If I can help, let me know 

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Another one two :D

What's your favourite thread on MT.O?

And, how much percent of your posts would you consider "useful and/or serious"?  :facepalm:

:pok: :whistle: :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Sorry, I was on my tablet last night and forgot this one.  :D

My favorite thread on this forum is a hard one.  I thought as part of the 8th Anniversary I would come up with a list of my 8 favorite threads on the forum, and I have to say, it was difficult to decide what my favorites were.  From a serious Multitool.org standpoint I'd say my favorite was the time Tim Leatherman sent us a congratulatory message about our second (I think) anniversary.  Getting a message from The Man was a huge deal to me, and although I can't find the link right now (bit pressed for time as I'm running off to work) made me think that MTO wasn't just a silly hobby, but a serious contender and entity in it's own right.

I also love the History of MTO thread because it helped remind me of all that everyone did to build this site.  I have been toying with the idea of writing a book on multitools in general and if I did, much of what is in that thread will be included in it. 

Unfortunately the eBay Guy thread also comes to mind when I think of my favorites, as I had far too much fun with that.   :facepalm:

As for how many of my posts are useful and/or serious, well, I am quite serious at times, it's just lucky that most of those serious posts are in the Admin Forum, safely locked away where no one can see them.  I like to laugh.  I hate taking things seriously.  I take things seriously for a living, I don't want to do it here too. 

Besides, the last thing I want here is to be seen as a know it all, the ultimate authority on this topic like some forum owners insist on.  I know a lot about SAKs and multitools.  Many members here know a lot more.  I actually try not to answer people's questions right away, just to let others answer and help, just so I don't seem like a "WORSHIP ME" type of forum owner.  :P

This is a fun place.  If I'm not enjoying it, how can I expect anyone else to?

Def

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Look into the future and make a prediction.  What will be the next big thing in multitools?

Different metal?
New configuration?
Manufacturing changes?
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

ca Offline jzmtl

The ad banner reminded me

What happened to the MTO shirt model, haven't seen her lately.  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Look into the future and make a prediction.  What will be the next big thing in multitools?

Different metal?
New configuration?
Manufacturing changes?
If I could do that I'd do it all first and sit back and enjoy the life of a multi millionaire while strange people build websites to honor what I've done.  :P

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas

She's alive and well. I don't hear from her much anymore, and when I do it's mostly her complaining that I never call her anymore.  She hasn't figured out that phones are two way devices and communication can be initiated at either end!  :P

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

She's alive and well. I don't hear from her much anymore, and when I do it's mostly her complaining that I never call her anymore.  She hasn't figured out that phones are two way devices and communication can be initiated at either end!  :P

Def

Pretty dumb blond, what more could a guy wish for.  :P

us Offline Lynn LeFey

A smart, ugly brunette, who can cook, and build furniture, and carry on intelligent conversations?

Just sayin'  :D

Then I guess someone could counter with smart, pretty redhead, who can cook, build furniture, work on cars, looked great in a bikini... brain surgeon rockstar astronaut, and... (sigh)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
I refuse to reply to that because she IS my friend and I'd hate to insult her.

But I could tell you some stories.....

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Shame I never got the chance to meet her.  :-\

Or live in Halifax.  :angel: Actually scratch that, it's flat as hell there and no place to ski.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice

A smart, ugly brunette, who can cook, and build furniture, and carry on intelligent conversations?

Just sayin'  :D

Then I guess someone could counter with smart, pretty redhead, who can cook, build furniture, work on cars, looked great in a bikini... brain surgeon rockstar astronaut, and... (sigh)

Have you got a number for either of them? Only I'm going to a gay wedding next year,and I need a date :ahhh
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas

Or live in Halifax.  :angel: Actually scratch that, it's flat as hell there and no place to ski.
About 45 minutes from the city there are a couple of places.  :D

Def

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice

About 45 minutes from the city there are a couple of places.  :D

Def

What?! To meet ladies? COOL!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
You can meet ladies a lot closer than that here.  I'm not too far from the downtown core where they can both be met and occasionally rented.  :P

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%