Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multitool or SAK/Pliers?

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Multitool or SAK/Pliers?
on: July 02, 2014, 06:37:27 PM

I just had this question pop into my head. Would you carry a multitool or a good SAK and a set of pliers?
  I have pondered doing both. I know it might sound a little broad.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Online powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Multitool or SAK/Pliers?
Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 07:00:20 PM
I have thought about this, T-Dog, and for me the separate pliers thing just doesn't work.  But my MT gets carried much, and used not so much.  So for me, I just find that combining the pliers with the SAK (which sort of equals an MT) is preferable.  I can see how a real workin' man would want real pliers, though.  There is a thread where there is come discussion about mini pliers which are good for EDC.  So I guess it all depends on what kind of pliers you need, and what your tolerance is for carrying them separately.  Mine is pretty low.  Rock on.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 09:45:18 PM by powernoodle »
:doggy: :doggy: :doggy:

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 07:03:12 PM
I have seen that question a few times here. Not a bad idea just a good set of pliers an a Sak, sounds good to me.

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 07:26:54 PM
Of late , I've gone with a SAK and a pair of Knipex . I win both ways - superior and dense implements of the SAK , plus dedicated forged pliers .

What I really want is a Knipex/Victorinox collaboration , on the basic Spirit chassis .

Chris

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 07:31:26 PM
My most used tools these days are a knife blade and pliers, with screwdriver blade less often.

I own a few SAKs, but rarely carry them.  I want a more robust 2-1/2 to 3 inch, locking cutting blade than found in most SAKs and multitools.

My on-person EDC setup alternates between 2 setups:

1) a knife and a pliers-type multitool

2) a separate pliers and a Leatherman knife/screwdriver multitool  (I miss having a wire cutter with this setup.)

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 07:40:39 PM

Parnass---> How do you find carrying a pair of standalone pliers and a knife?
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 12:13:13 AM

Parnass---> How do you find carrying a pair of standalone pliers and a knife?

So far, the better pliers and larger knife combination suits my current needs even though they cannot perform as many different tasks as say a Leatherman Rebar or Victorinox Swisstool Spirit.

The knife/Knipex team lacks a wire cutter, file, saw, awl, and scissors.  But, the Knipex grasps much larger objects (e.g., big hex head bolts and nuts) better.

The Leatherman knife shown in the photo includes flat head and Phillips screwdrivers.  I wouldn't want to be without a screwdriving capability even though I don't use it as much now as a knife and pliers.  The Leatherman knife/screwdriver tool is like an SAK with bigger muscles.  I've never had confidence in a SAK's Phillips screwdriver function.

When I was doing more electronics and electrical work, a needle nose plier style multitool with wire cutter facility and more choices of screwdriver blades was better suited.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 12:15:39 AM by parnass »
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 03:41:33 PM
I carry a locking folder in addition to my Cybertool . I'll post some pics of some of my combos .

A) I like to have one strong premium steel blade B) most SAK's and multi's aren't too ergonomic for serious cutting .

ATM , I'm giving thought to getting a small Puko style fixed blade . I haven't decided wether to go with a top of the line one , or one of the less expensive options , with a good kydex sheath .

Chris

us Offline youwillforget

Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 04:55:13 PM

I carry a SAK, Snap-on pliers, a Space pen and my keys daily.
EDC SAK mechanic

98  Gulf  175 mile daily commute Gerber 600
97 C3500 PT510

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 04:58:03 PM
I have considered doing just that years ago as I have the perfect set of pocket-size vice grips but I use the wire cutter way too often so for me it's a Wave or Rebar :tu:
SAW

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 07:27:29 PM
For wirecutting capability , I often carry Klein Electricians scissors . Covers cutting/stripping bases . A bonus , they are flat . I have several pairs of carbon steel ones , but I've recently converted to stainless ones .

Chris

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 08:35:51 PM
For wirecutting capability , I often carry Klein Electricians scissors . Covers cutting/stripping bases . A bonus , they are flat . I have several pairs of carbon steel ones , but I've recently converted to stainless ones .

Chris
I just looked those up, they look pretty cool.
SAW

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 04:25:13 PM

I carry a SAK, Snap-on pliers, a Space pen and my keys daily.

I like the looks of those small pliers. :tu: Are they jointed (correct word?) for larger screws?

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 09:44:06 PM
I used to carry a Huntsman and a pair of pliers. Then I got my first PST. Much more space efficient pliers, and I got a file and a phillips and a few other sizes of screwdriver.

If money it tight, get a SAK and a pair of pliers. Then upgrade to a multitool.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 04:43:46 AM
My wife already thinks I'm deranged by carrying a SAK, multitool, Pocketwrench, Vic Rambler and a flashlight. 

If I started carrying a pair of pliers too she'd have me tested.  Problem is, I already know I'd come back "positive".   :climber:

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 07:20:45 AM
Almost all my Leatherman models just pop in my small jeans key pocket. Can't do that with a SAK AND pliers. Just from a practical standpoint the LM makes more sense for me.

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 12:55:09 AM
Almost all my Leatherman models just pop in my small jeans key pocket. Can't do that with a SAK AND pliers. Just from a practical standpoint the LM makes more sense for me.

+1
Leatherman

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 01:32:39 AM
I've made my living with pliers for years . A pair of Knipex or Klein's on the back of your belt is pretty hard to beat .

The pliers on multi's have improved , but don't measure up .

Chris

us Offline youwillforget

Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 01:22:06 AM
I like the looks of those small pliers. :tu: Are they jointed (correct word?) for larger screws?
[/quote]

They are Snap-on 77 I have them set so the fit in my pocket. They slip the other way and look just like normal pliers.
EDC SAK mechanic

98  Gulf  175 mile daily commute Gerber 600
97 C3500 PT510

us Offline Grateful

Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 02:07:51 PM
 I stopped carrying pliers based multi-tools a couple of years ago. The pliers that they offer don't even come close to the durability of a true set of pliers.
I carry a sak with a pair of Cee Tee slip-joint pliers and this combination works well for me. My Cee Tees are older and U.S.A. Made, not sure where they are made at now. I have used them for all the normal  pliers stuff as well as some lite hammering.
I figure they would also make a pretty decent impact weapon if I ever found myself in a situation that I could not walk away from.

Jim

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 02:48:46 PM
My favorite tool team is the LM mini and a sak.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 04:58:54 PM
My favorite tool team is the LM mini and a sak.

I'm carrying that today :)

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 29, 2015, 02:35:38 AM
I stopped carrying pliers based multi-tools a couple of years ago. The pliers that they offer don't even come close to the durability of a true set of pliers.
I carry a sak with a pair of Cee Tee slip-joint pliers and this combination works well for me. My Cee Tees are older and U.S.A. Made, not sure where they are made at now. I have used them for all the normal  pliers stuff as well as some lite hammering.
I figure they would also make a pretty decent impact weapon if I ever found myself in a situation that I could not walk away from.

Jim

It looks like Crescent makes Cee Tee pliers these days and they are made in China now. I saw a pair at the hardware store last night while picking up some rock salt for the snow.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD