Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ontario RAT-1 reassembly question.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Ontario RAT-1 reassembly question.
on: July 09, 2014, 03:11:56 AM
So I took my RAT-1 apart to clean it and after looking at some videos online it appears I have one less Teflon washer than normal. They normally come with 2 Bronze 3 Teflon. When I reassembled I did

Bronze/Teflon/Blade/Teflon/Bronze

Basically Bronze against the liners and Teflon against the blade. Now when I got it back together everything performs great, but it feels gritty when opening. Now I guess it is a possibility I lost a Teflon washer, but honestly I was paying close attention to what came out of the knife as to not lose anything so I think it came missing one from the factory. With that said if it was missing one from the factory it felt smooth until I took it apart. Is it possible the washers need to be flipped over and kept in the same order? The Teflon washers should be against the blade right?

Just for reference the people (everyone) who has 3 Teflon washers said they believe the washers went in the same order I have mine in but with the extra Teflon in between the Bronze and the scale on (I believe) the non liner lock side. So like this.

Bronze/Teflon/Blade/Teflon/Bronze/Teflon

Any help would be appreciated. I'm going to take it back apart and probably check the washers and maybe flip them around, but I just wanted to ask and get a general consensus before I do. Thanks everyone.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Ontario RAT-1 reassembly question.
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 03:22:54 AM
Sorry I did not take more pictures of the assembly. I didn't really think about it until after half way. You will see I put all the standoffs back on except the last one at the bottom of the scale. If you look close at the one not installed yet you will see the "D" shaped hole. The standoffs have the same shape on only one side and will only go into that scale one way.

This is the order the washers went on.

Last liner. Looks pretty good without the scale.

Back together.

I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 03:24:08 AM
I wish I had some different scales to swap. Custom scales would be super easy for the RAT-1.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 07:42:43 AM
Nobody.............  :twak:   

I thought you guys were better than that.  :D
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 08:14:37 AM
Guy on youtube vid 'Rat1 intro and teardown' said the three were on the liner lock side.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 08:55:59 AM
Seems strange that they use that many washers.  :think:

Have you tried to use only the bronze? Put a tiny bit of oil on each mating surface as you are putting it together.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 08:58:58 AM
Guy on youtube vid 'Rat1 intro and teardown' said the three were on the liner lock side.

Hmm... Ok. I thought it was the other side. Either way at the moment it does not matter as I don't have 3 Teflon washers.  :poh: I wrote Ontario to see about a parts request, but I have no idea if they offer that service. If not I might just have to make due. Basically at this point I am really wondering if the Teflon washers rest against the blade or the liner. I just pulled it apart again and  took some boking sode to the blade to remove some rust I did not see the first time around. I'm going to wait to put it back together until I hear from Ontario. Depending on what they say I will probably ask them if they can tell me what the proper washer order is.
I'm the milk man!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 02:16:13 PM

Hmm... Ok. I thought it was the other side. Either way at the moment it does not matter as I don't have 3 Teflon washers.  :poh: I wrote Ontario to see about a parts request, but I have no idea if they offer that service. If not I might just have to make due. Basically at this point I am really wondering if the Teflon washers rest against the blade or the liner. I just pulled it apart again and  took some boking sode to the blade to remove some rust I did not see the first time around. I'm going to wait to put it back together until I hear from Ontario. Depending on what they say I will probably ask them if they can tell me what the proper washer order is.
That might be the best thing to do. Could it be there's a difference between both sides of the washers? One being smoother?...
 :think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline super m

Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 02:38:34 PM
I could look at mine and let you know ?

Brüder, die Brüdern Helfen
Brothers helping Brothers

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 07:40:16 PM

That might be the best thing to do. Could it be there's a difference between both sides of the washers? One being smoother?...
 :think: :think:

I'm not sure about being smoother, but I have heard about washers having specific sides that are slightly curved so that could be the problem. I'm still missing a Teflon washer though.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 07:41:45 PM
I could look at mine and let you know ?

Brüder, die Brüdern Helfen

If you wan't, but I don't wan't you to take yours apart and then have issues putting it back together. Just wait until I hear back from Ontario and I will let you know. I appreciate it, thanks.  :salute:
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 08:01:49 PM
I just heard back from Ontario. They would not give me the washers for free (understandable), but they said they do sell them for $4.95 shipped. Two Teflon and Two Brass. Now I was under the impression the (non-Nylon) washers are phosphor bronze. Is their a difference or did the customer service just misspeak?

I'm wondering if their is only supposed to be two of each since that is what they are offering. You would think if it came with three nylon washers they would include three in a order.  :think:

I'm the milk man!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 08:36:40 PM
Could it be the video you saw had na extra teflon washer? I don't think they'd sell you an incomplete set.

Try swapping the washers from side to side and outside/inside, try the blade before fastening to tight.

Maybe the washers are not interchangeable...

:think: :think: :think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 09:35:52 PM
Could it be the video you saw had na extra teflon washer? I don't think they'd sell you an incomplete set.

Try swapping the washers from side to side and outside/inside, try the blade before fastening to tight.

Maybe the washers are not interchangeable...

:think: :think: :think: :think:

That's what i'm thinking, but literally every single RAT-1 disassemble video I have seen has 3 Teflon washers so I have no idea.  :think:

I'm just going to fiddle with it today and see what happens.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 12:30:55 AM
I sent another email to Ontario asking how many washers should be in the RAT1 as well as the proper order they are arranged.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 12:38:11 AM
I sent another email to Ontario asking how many washers should be in the RAT1 as well as the proper order they are arranged.
I hope you get it straight, it's a very cool knife :)
SAW

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 01:24:04 AM
I hope you get it straight, it's a very cool knife :)

Even if I don't i'm sure it will be fine. When I initially put it back together everything wen't together beautifully, but the opening/closing of the blade felt gritty (kinda). I could live with that if I had to.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 06:36:39 AM
Necro post. I came across some pictures that where originally in this thread so I will post them back up for now and for reference in case anyone takes apart their RAT. If anyone does take one apart please pay close attention to what order the washers go in and let me know.  :tu:

I'm the milk man!

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 02:46:36 PM
Good pics  :tu:

Did you ever get an answer on whether it was normal to have three washers or not and did you end up replacing the washers ?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%