Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bug Out / Get Home bag on a budget ($50)

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Bug Out / Get Home bag on a budget ($50)
Reply #60 on: July 12, 2014, 07:46:58 PM
4th post in the thread. Picked it up at the dollar store.

This is one of those things I see missing in a lot of emergency kits. Which is weird, IMO.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: July 14, 2014, 02:24:26 AM
4th post in the thread. Picked it up at the dollar store.

This is one of those things I see missing in a lot of emergency kits. Which is weird, IMO.

I'll admit to being one of the weird ones who doesn't put TP in my emergency kits.  I do usually put some baby wipes in, though, which could serve the purpose.  I also feel that, at least in most environments, there are suitable enough natural (leaves, snow) or man-made (newspapers, magazines) substitutes available for emergency use.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #62 on: July 14, 2014, 04:15:49 AM
Pocket tissues, $0.20 a pack, maybe less. Try using a tp role once it gets wet. ::)

Pocket tissues are more compact, wear resistant, can be used as a gause if you get a cut more efficiently than tp, ...

And baby wipes are a must too, for higiene and stuff, but dont get the mentol ones. ;)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 04:19:06 AM by enki_ck »

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #63 on: July 15, 2014, 06:18:54 AM
If you're storing a vehicle for emergency "get home" use, I'd go with a mountain bike.  Any motorized vehicle doesn't store well; gas engines tend to gum up and the fuel goes bad, and batteries don't like to sit around.  But a bicycle is forever.  My place of work is 14 miles away from home, and I'd rather bike that than walk it.  It's also much more affordable to store a bicycle than anything motorized.

I say mountain bike specifically mostly because of tires.  A road bike has skinny little tires with those special valve stems and high pressures.  If you need to reinflate the tire, it'll be easier to find a pump for a mountain bike since it has the same kind of tire valve as a car.  It'll also handle bumpy terrain better if you can't stick to the roads, and if your car isn't an option, that's likely the case.
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #64 on: May 12, 2015, 10:03:19 PM
Sorry I let this project linger.

However... Two things today as possibles.

I've worked on a cheap way to do water purification on severely limited funds, and don't know if I've mentioned this already.

So, here's how you do water purification on the cheap.
1) Get some bleach. Make sure it's unscented. A quart or liter can usually be had for about $1.
2) Get a cheap bottle of eye drops from a dollar store, or wherever. They can be had for $1 to $1.50.
3) Drain the eyedrops out, rinse the container, and refill it with bleach.

A .5 oz (15mL) bottle will hold a bit over 400 drops of bleach. It takes 4 drops to purify 1 Quart or Liter of of water, or twice that if the water is cloudy. Understand, this will only purify biological contaminants, not chemical problems.

Second thing. I bought a $2.50 knife. Its a stainless steel, full tang kitchen Utility Knife that's a bit bigger than a pairing knife. In fact, it's pretty much the same size as a Mora or similar bushcraft fixed blade.

After getting a reasonable edge on the blade, I made a sheath for it from 1/2" PVC pipe.

I would LOVE to say that the sheath was my idea, but I got it from this video. All hail Dave Canterbury! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U08-Fq8Tog&spfreload=10

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #65 on: May 16, 2015, 03:38:11 AM
Two things

Every time you open the bleach bottle you drop efficency. Fresh bleach quarterly at a minimum is my thought.

And YAHHH!!! Another fan of kitchen knives as low cost field knives. I'm looking to do a two piece wooden inner sheath with a raw hide outter that is shrunk to fit. Step after that is fringe and beadwork.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #66 on: May 16, 2015, 03:49:01 AM
I've also heard that light is bad for bleach. Swapping it out frequently would be wise, but I mean... come on, for a super low cost solution, it doesn't get much better, IMO. Not that I'm not still open to possibilities.

On Kitchen Knives as Field Knives... well, the trappers of the American Frontier used regular old kitchen knives, and traded the same. I'd never say it's the BEST option, but it's a perfectly viable option, and the cheapest I've found. I do have to say that it requires some skill in sharpening. And, also... you should try making the PVC sheath. Pretty awesomely easy, and as I had a few feet of the 1" pipe laying around, it was free.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #67 on: May 20, 2015, 04:06:15 AM
Or I could get off my butt and buy some kydex and make the press. :)
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%