Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

All hands on deck, the Victorinox Boatsman is here!

Thehunt · 23 · 14574

de Offline Thehunt

Sorry, RangerGrip Boatsman, credit where credit is due...

Once upon a time in Switzerland, there where two companys, making the finest in multitool cutlery...
One is the famous Victorinox, made popular by a TV-hero named MacGuyver. The other was, and in our hearts still is Wenger.
It is my understanding, that Wenger was lesser known in the US, than it was in Europe.

After Wenger was bought by Victorinox in 2005, not much changed for us ELU (EndLineUsers).
Then in 2013 Victorinox took Wenger under its wing, merging both companys and from then on, Wenger was history.

History?

No, not really.
Fast forward to today.

Rumor had it, that Victorinox was going to release a new label named „Delémont Collection“.

Which turned out to be true :-)

On of the newest offsprings under the name „Delémont Collection“ is the RangerGrip Boatsman, which found its way to my loving hands and which I´m preseting you now.   

The boatsman represents the largest variety in swiss mutlitools with is the 130mm length (5.12inches)

Delivered in an high quality nylon sheath, the Boatsman comes with two long shank-bits, a 4.5 flathead and a PH3:

The bits are stored in the sheath and are inserted in the grippanel, for a full 1.5cm (0.59inches). This depth ensures that a useful amout of force, i.e. torque can be applied:

Nothing worse than a bad tool, isnt it?
The bits are hold firmly in place, you need a good pull to get them free, which is far better than search for them on the floor, because they fall out by gravity alone...

Whats hidden in the scales? Could it be? Is that really?
Damn yes, that are T&T!
For the uninitiated, thats inside toolhead-speak for toothpick and tweezers :-)

So, it can be done...!

Yeah, I´m looking at you DualPro...

In my oppinion, the Victorinox-made T&T are far superior to the ones Wenger used. YMMV

A little size-comparison is in order I think. As you see, 130mm is quite a handfull

Its not like we arent used to big bad mofos of a knife, right?

Nicely done, the new lettering:

I took a real liking in the new two-component scales, very grippy, without beeing too aggressive on the hands. Where the „old“ Wenger-made ones where wide, relatively speaking, with a thickness of 7,5mm, we have now just 5mm.

Thats a whole 5mm in width-savings. Not too shabby...
Proportionaly speaking, its a win.
I like it.

The locking mechanism of the mainblade is untouched. The only change is the Victorinox-shield you have to press, where the Wenger-emblem would have been:

The mainblade has serrations, about threequarters of the lengh (which is 9.5cm in total, or 3.7 inches).
The serrations remind me ot the kind Spyderco is doing, well proven, reliable and perfectly fitted for maritime use. There has to be a reason Spyderco does what they do, right?
Same thing with Victorinox. They have 130 years experience in knifemaking...
Enough said.

The Wenger-awl was never realy to my liking, the Victorinox was and still is far better (sharpend edge, better point, you get the picture...).
Glad to see, she is used in this new incarnation:

What a case of „lucky/educated guess“: The awl is on the other side, but the nailnick fits...
Who dares wins, right?

So, this is a brainpicker...
How to describe the locking-prevention-mechanism used for the large screwdriver...?
Victorinox started to use a little notch and nose to hinder unintentionally closing of the screwdriver when in use.
Quite good, if you ask me.
But.
But Wenger made a different approach. They used a similar nose, but this one locks into the backsping, when under pressure. This technique is really inventive and it workd well. The screwdriver cant unlock, unless the pressure is released.
So guess what Voctorinox did?
Damn right, they kept the Wenger screwdriver as is.
A smart move, as this variant is in my humble oppinion the better way of doing things.
The only thing new is the absence of the „Patent“-marking.

Ok folks, till now, it was quite familiar for me, but nor for something different for me:
Real foldig pliers on a SAK. I mean, pliers. Real pliers. Most of you who havent stopped reading allready, which is something I compliment you for, will know the little mini-pliers used in the 91mm and 111mm-models.
They are not bad, far from it, but they were small. Precision-made for sure, but small. More for surgical implementation, than for field use.

Now look at this:

They are real compfortable in hand, due to the wide handle and can apply real force.

The pliers open with authority, no wiggle at all. The word „Rolex“ comes to mind...

Now for the best part. They are spring-loaded. I fall in love with those a lopng time ago, think of Leatherman Squirt, or the Victorinox Mechanic. But this is the real deal. Spring-loaded pliers in man-size :-)

They wont compete with the pliers of a SwissTool, for sure, but thats a big step ahead.
The Boatsman´s pliers lack the hardwire-cutting notch of a SwissTool, but hey. Its a SAK, not a pliers-based tool.

For testing I cut some thin wire, some speakercables and meshwire, no problem. I wouldnt use it harder than that, but its more than enough for me.

The canopener is now of the Victorinox-variety, also a step forward, as the old Wenger-opener lacked the small flatheaddriver on top.

Years ago I dumped my keyrings in the sewer, dont ask how, s*** happens. A shoelace and a Spartan made my day, imrpovising a fishing rod, getting my keys in a breeze.
So I made it a habit to buy only SAK´s with a keyring.

If your name is Boatsman, there has to someting maritine on you. In this case its the shackleopener:

What do we have: a shackleopener, hence the name, a ruler (metric and inch) and a sewingeye.
Made from 2mm stock, thats 0.078 inches, which should be sufficient for any reasonable use:

...if youre stationed on board of a supertanker, its either this:

...or that:

I have real fun with the Boatsman, the unusual tool selection, the crafting quality and the intrinsic value make it possible.

To call it a pocket tool depends on you and your pockets, in my case its backpack or beltcarry.
Surely its no featherweight, with its 270 grams (9.5 ounces) but my Seiko BFK weights 200 grams (7.05 ounces) and I wear her on my arm all day...

The Boatsman in his usual environment:

Thanks for your time!
Any question?

Shoot!

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 09:10:17 PM by Thehunt »
M

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: All hands on deck, the Victorinox Boatsman is here!
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 08:58:48 PM
Great review there mate! :)

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 09:23:55 PM
And there I was, thinking I have about all the knives/tools that I want, and there's nothing that I really want/need anymore ...  ::)
And now you do this ...  :twak:

Great review of a BEAUTIFUL knife my friend, thanks  :salute:.

P.S.: When the first pics of "Wengers" with the Vic shield on them popped up it felt "wrong" to me, but that feeling has passed and made room for a feeling of pure  :drool:.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 09:31:10 PM
Great review!

I always liked nautical tools and knives (well, most things nautical really  :whistle: ) and this seems like a very good example  :tu:

The shackle opener can also be used as a marlin spike, don't think it'd be the best sewing thing, though..

anyway, great review, great SAK! :salute:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 09:44:08 PM
+1 to that ! great review and lovely pics  :tu:
do I need one I ask myself  :think:

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 10:19:15 PM
So the scale is thinner eh? Good to hear, my biggest complaint on the Wenger version is the scale makes any 3+ layer knife humongous.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 11:07:35 AM
Great review mate!
By the way, Victorinox has shared it on their FB page :)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 11:14:42 AM
Nice overview! Thank you  :cheers:

So the scale is thinner eh? Good to hear, my biggest complaint on the Wenger version is the scale makes any 3+ layer knife humongous.

Agreed! Question is now, is there aftermarket Vic scales, or a cheapo offering from the new Delemont line, so I can swap the scales on my Rangergrip 90?

.... and will the scales be compatible?  :ahhh :ahhh

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 03:27:10 PM
Well, scales are thinner, but are scales+liner also thinner? Wenger scales covered the liner, so I always assumed that's partly why they seems so thick...
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 03:41:51 PM
Cool thanks for the rundown on the delemont rangergrip.  Im a big rangergrip fan and havent got any of the delemonts yet.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 06:55:47 PM
Many thanks for the review and pics! Beautiful knife, but isnt'it the same of the Alinghi, basically? I have one of those Alinghi, the all black one, i got it in a trade with good member Thomas, i carried that for a while, nice capable knife... If you work on a laaarge boat, too big and fat for tight spaces, in my opinion. :salute:
Antonio

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 07:37:37 PM
Thanks for the review.  I think I need to plan a stop at the Victorinox shop.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 08:12:00 PM
I like the pouch.
  :gimme:  :gimme:
dfcokoxz6vff.jpg
* dfcokoxz6vff.jpg (Filesize: 174.08 KB)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 08:14:04 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines
Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 08:13:58 PM
Great review and pics.

This ranger grip looks really good  :drool:

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 08:16:46 PM
Many thanks for the review and pics! Beautiful knife, but isnt'it the same of the Alinghi, basically? I have one of those Alinghi, the all black one, i got it in a trade with good member Thomas, i carried that for a while, nice capable knife... If you work on a laaarge boat, too big and fat for tight spaces, in my opinion. :salute:

I think the Alinghi (and this one, too) are more sailing SAK's, aimed at the sport... On board of a "real" ship (cargo, or something like that) I'd prefer a more industrial tool.

it Offline SolomonKane79

Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 08:32:50 PM

I think the Alinghi (and this one, too) are more sailing SAK's, aimed at the sport... On board of a "real" ship (cargo, or something like that) I'd prefer a more industrial tool.
I agree, though my only gripe is the size, for the rest i found the knife robust... If you have to move around a boat with a thing this size hanging in the sheath around your waist, the possibility to get it caught everywhere is high, in my personal experience. That's why for my needs i prefer a good rigging knife carried with a clip in my front pocket and a medium size plier-based MT carried with a sheath. But that's me!   :cheers:
Antonio

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 11:19:09 PM

I agree, though my only gripe is the size, for the rest i found the knife robust... If you have to move around a boat with a thing this size hanging in the sheath around your waist, the possibility to get it caught everywhere is high, in my personal experience. That's why for my needs i prefer a good rigging knife carried with a clip in my front pocket and a medium size plier-based MT carried with a sheath. But that's me!   :cheers:
This, though (and I must admit I don't have a Ranger with pliers) Id prefer some heavier duty pliers as well... The knives are more than up for it, obviously.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 12:02:12 AM
I've spent a few years around vessels, but powered inland craft of different types. My preference if to have a multitool in a fastened pocket, and a fixed blade knife on a sheath carried towards the rear (kind of 5 o'clock position), or good OHO knife on a secure clip at the least. For everything else I'll cope with rummaging in a pocket to avoid having another snag hazard. The only tool I need QUICK access to, is a knife I can cut a rope with. A rope can be your saviour or your worst enemy, and it doesn't care which. It's a very fickle companion.

.... and I've never ever needed a marlin spike or shackle key! If I want a loop or eye in a rope, I'll tie one not splice one. Bowline, figure 8, whatever suits best. A spliced eye is a "fixed" part of a line, which can reduce it's usefulness/versatility in my limited experience (no doubt different nautical scenarios differ). As for shackles, the only thing I've used them for is for mounting bow/stern fenders, and for hanging my Victorian airer over my woodburning range  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 11:41:56 AM
I've spent a few years around vessels, but powered inland craft of different types. My preference if to have a multitool in a fastened pocket, and a fixed blade knife on a sheath carried towards the rear (kind of 5 o'clock position), or good OHO knife on a secure clip at the least. For everything else I'll cope with rummaging in a pocket to avoid having another snag hazard. The only tool I need QUICK access to, is a knife I can cut a rope with. A rope can be your saviour or your worst enemy, and it doesn't care which. It's a very fickle companion.

.... and I've never ever needed a marlin spike or shackle key! If I want a loop or eye in a rope, I'll tie one not splice one. Bowline, figure 8, whatever suits best. A spliced eye is a "fixed" part of a line, which can reduce it's usefulness/versatility in my limited experience (no doubt different nautical scenarios differ). As for shackles, the only thing I've used them for is for mounting bow/stern fenders, and for hanging my Victorian airer over my woodburning range  :D

Shackles are used quite a lot in sailing, though ;)

Though honestly, pliers work on them just as well as a shackle key. I'd probably still choose a Wave if I was going sailing.

it Offline SolomonKane79

Reply #19 on: August 02, 2014, 02:27:25 PM
In my experience on boats, a marlin spike is essential. If someone makes a bad knot or if it goes so tight and wet that you cannot untie it you cannot always cut. You will probably need that line again soon and not always are there spare ones. I think that this is the main job for a marlin spike, more than splicing itself. Further, if it is a good quality marlin spike it can even be used for certain kind of prying. Anyway, interesting conversation, thank you for sharing your experiences, sirs.
Antonio

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #20 on: October 02, 2014, 01:15:37 AM
well...the pictures speak for themselves. added to bucket list, placed on top of life's priorities
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #21 on: October 06, 2014, 03:12:21 PM
Thanks for taking the time out to produce such a thorough review - no wonder Vic nabbed it for their FB page.

It looks like a handy addition to me.  :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #22 on: October 15, 2017, 12:45:40 AM
Just come across this great review - Thanks TheHunt

What a spectacular knife - But so pricey!!
Although for large MT pliers - I think I prefer a Swisstool or LM - And I do have the Skipper for a marlin spike/shackle key ;)
Interesting also that the handles became thinner - I quite liked the Wenger Ranger handles for their grip and fit in the hand.
I guess I should try one of the Delemonts out - At least in a shop!!

Mods - Shouldn't this be on the main site ???

Is there some sort of index on the man site?
If you go Tools Reviews/Victorinox - It only comes up with two reviews from nearly 10 years ago?? And I am not sure if there is an index?

Is that the menu/index on the right hand side of the screen?
There are a lot more for LM

« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 01:10:09 AM by Huntsman »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24