Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New phone. Again

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Re: New phone. Again
Reply #30 on: August 03, 2014, 03:11:57 AM
I find it ironic that they do not want people "hacking" their phones to do even more, when that is exactly how we got to the point of having a smart phone in the first place.   :rant:

wihtout hackers, or boundary pushers.  a cell phone would just be a phone.  someone always try to make what they have do more.

the first Generation XBOX was hacked to be a home theater system, and what did the next PlayStation have built in?  yep, that.

If I can help, let me know 

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #31 on: August 03, 2014, 03:17:24 AM
What unauthorized changes have you made?

I agree about the annoyances of not being able to modify your own items, but I think even Samsung has a long way to go before it becomes like those other guys.

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery
I rooted it an hour after I brought it home. 

Don't really care about if I can upgrade OTA,  it's just the way they do things. Car manufacturers can't void your warranty unless they can prove the damage was caused by your mod, but phone manufacturers can do what's essentially void your warranty if your swap in an aftermarket radio.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 03:20:18 AM by jzmtl »

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #32 on: August 03, 2014, 03:21:52 AM
I find it ironic that they do not want people "hacking" their phones to do even more, when that is exactly how we got to the point of having a smart phone in the first place.   :rant:

wihtout hackers, or boundary pushers.  a cell phone would just be a phone.  someone always try to make what they have do more.

the first Generation XBOX was hacked to be a home theater system, and what did the next PlayStation have built in?  yep, that.
It is. I hacked my s2 for features I want, guess what I find in s5 stock,  exactly the things I hacked for.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #33 on: August 03, 2014, 11:34:28 AM
If I was looking at any of the Galaxy range I'd probably want to buy a Google Play Edition.

Software wise I love how bloat free that my Nexus 4 is vs my wife's Galaxy core... Of course it does come loaded with Google bloat...

I think it's great that Samsung is trying to include a bunch of apps to cover features that people may want, but it'd be great if you could axe it (ChatOn on my wifes phone for example). She has loads of samsung crap that keeps wanting to update that she never uses.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #34 on: August 03, 2014, 12:14:31 PM
Yeah I hate the Samsung apps too. I never use them, but that's the problem with Android.  Luckily I can actually deactivate a lot of crap on the s5 that I had to pit up with before, so I'm happy about that.

So far I'm still very happy with this phone.  I can't remember how long the honeymoon with the s3 was, but I'm pretty certain the s5 is already past the point where I started to dislike the s3.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #35 on: August 03, 2014, 02:35:41 PM

Both my tvs in the house still use original xbox's for media streaming.  :D  12 years old and still ticking.  I have a roku as well for netflix and the other modern stuff.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #36 on: August 03, 2014, 07:27:07 PM
Yeah I hate the Samsung apps too. I never use them, but that's the problem with Android.  Luckily I can actually deactivate a lot of crap on the s5 that I had to pit up with before, so I'm happy about that.

So far I'm still very happy with this phone.  I can't remember how long the honeymoon with the s3 was, but I'm pretty certain the s5 is already past the point where I started to dislike the s3.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
The hardware is indeed quite impressive. I'm playing with camera and the hdr is super fast and looks great, you can take full size 16 mpx  photos while shooting 1080 video etc.

I've uninstalled all the Samsung and bell bloat.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #37 on: August 07, 2014, 09:00:23 AM
Just got a new phone. Free phone with a $30 air card for the month. Totally piece of crap phone, but all I need it to do is make phone calls.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #38 on: August 07, 2014, 11:52:45 AM
Just got a new phone. Free phone with a $30 air card for the month. Totally piece of crap phone, but all I need it to do is make phone calls.
Hey, if it works it works.  My phone and plan are actually from Walmart, a Galaxy Centura and $45/month unlimited phone, text, and web.  I've had the service for years now, and have never had an issue with it.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: August 07, 2014, 08:26:20 PM
Can't argue with a plan like that.

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #40 on: September 05, 2014, 06:08:41 AM
Still liking the S5 Grant?  I've had mine since May, and I'm pretty happy.  It's a bit too big for me, so next time I upgrade I will be getting a smaller phone. 

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: September 05, 2014, 08:31:12 AM
Just got my dad a Motorola G to replace his POS Samsung slider phone.  He drives up from Vancouver to Kelowna (~4 hours with no traffic) alone or with my Mom on a regular basis and I wanted him to have a reliable phone that stood a chance of actually getting service..

For the ~$130 I paid (plus $1 for unlocking) it's a frankly exceptional phone.  It doesn't touch my Nexus 5 spec or capability wise but for the price I have no complaints.

Also, apparently it can survive quite a dunking in water, which is surprising since it's not IPX rated.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #42 on: September 05, 2014, 09:50:21 AM
Still liking the S5 Grant?  I've had mine since May, and I'm pretty happy.  It's a bit too big for me, so next time I upgrade I will be getting a smaller phone.

It's about my limit for one hand operation, especially with a case. The 1920x1080 screen is fine enough that I can't see individual pixels even when I try, so interesting to see where they go from here consider the size and resolution has reached practical limit.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: September 05, 2014, 12:20:47 PM
I am very much still enjoying the S5.  In fact I'm posting on it now.

I still find the auto correct on it to be rather tyrannical but I'm very impressed that it hasn't slowed down or gotten bogged down yet.  The S3 I had prior to this was great for the first couple of weeks then started to get sluggish, but the S5 is still going strong and I haven't done anything with it that I didn't do with the others.

I like the screen size. I'd still rather something bigger since spreadsheets are a pain to read in direct sunlight, but I suppose there is a convenience factor to take into account.

I really liked my HTC Touch, I really liked my Motorola Atrix and the S3 was a good phone (for a few weeks) but I have to say, this S5 is the best phone I've had so far.

Def

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #44 on: September 05, 2014, 03:41:20 PM
I agree.   Size gripe aside this phone is incredible.  I love the remote control app for my TV, and video is stunning on it.   

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #45 on: September 05, 2014, 04:26:08 PM
+2

The S5 is fantastic performance wise.  I also wish autocorrect wasn't so aggressive, but I can work around it.  It's almost replaced my Nexus 7.  Almost...

It is kinda big, carry wise though...

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #46 on: September 05, 2014, 04:28:58 PM
Is it bigger than the S3?  I'd very much like larger.  I could upgrade and my wife could carry the s3.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #47 on: September 05, 2014, 04:39:10 PM
I want to get an S5, but I'm going to wait until the used prices come down.  They're still way more than I want to spend on one.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #48 on: September 05, 2014, 05:45:59 PM
+2

The S5 is fantastic performance wise.  I also wish autocorrect wasn't so aggressive, but I can work around it.  It's almost replaced my Nexus 7.  Almost...

It is kinda big, carry wise though...

I love my nexus 7!!

The S5 is bigger than the S3, and much better. 

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: September 05, 2014, 07:57:23 PM
I think I'd be game for a Google Play edition Galaxy S4/5. After playing with my wife's Galaxy Core I can honestly say I don't much care for the Samsung overlay on Android.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: September 05, 2014, 08:10:44 PM
Hey, a quick question about S5.  A friend told me they no longer have google play-store in the phone, and apps could only be downloaded via internet, if I don't want to use Samsung bloatware...is that true? 

The only thing that's could be a show stopper for me is the S4 I am using is full of Samsung bloatware, and man, it really drags everything down.  I think they could be a little delusional to think they are the same as Google, if they just fill their phone with S-calendar, S-store, S-mail...etc.  I hope Samsung would have enough sense to not kill the play-store.  :pok:

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: September 05, 2014, 08:19:46 PM
Hey, a quick question about S5.  A friend told me they no longer have google play-store in the phone, and apps could only be downloaded via internet, if I don't want to use Samsung bloatware...is that true? 

The only thing that's could be a show stopper for me is the S4 I am using is full of Samsung bloatware, and man, it really drags everything down.  I think they could be a little delusional to think they are the same as Google, if they just fill their phone with S-calendar, S-store, S-mail...etc.  I hope Samsung would have enough sense to not kill the play-store.  :pok:

No, this isn't true.  The S5 is a Google-certified device and has the Play store installed.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: September 05, 2014, 08:38:34 PM
The new S5's are very hard to root.  Not sure it's worth trying anymore.  Biggest bummer is, if you load a program onto a microSD card it may not function correctly, since kitkat doesn't allow you to copy, paste, move items to and from microSD anymore.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: September 05, 2014, 09:05:42 PM

No, this isn't true.  The S5 is a Google-certified device and has the Play store installed.

Wheee...that' a little better.  :tu:

The new S5's are very hard to root.  Not sure it's worth trying anymore.  Biggest bummer is, if you load a program onto a microSD card it may not function correctly, since kitkat doesn't allow you to copy, paste, move items to and from microSD anymore.

I read about the same thing earlier in this thread, but not loading from external storage is just a big no-no.  I felt it is already happening on my S4, and I really wonder why would they not fix that, and to make it even worse...so the rom on phone would get jam packed and users will feel the drag as the new model comes out?  :think:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: September 05, 2014, 09:16:57 PM
I don't see the issue... Save your apps in the built in storage, and keep media on the SD card... I'm pretty sure I set my wife's phone to store her photos on SD...

sent from my Firespray-31-class patrol and attack craft

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: September 05, 2014, 09:30:54 PM
I don't see the issue... Save your apps in the built in storage, and keep media on the SD card... I'm pretty sure I set my wife's phone to store her photos on SD...

Not sure if it will do that.  It's a security problem.  SD cards are FAT and therefore a folder can't be specified for just one app.  Either there's access for all or for none.  (At least that's how I understood it).  Google decided to prevent you from writing onto the SD card.  I don't think you can save photos to SD.  It's almost like ROM now.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: September 05, 2014, 09:42:18 PM
Since I don't have sd cards on my nexus 4 & 7 I have no idea. My wife's phone is only running 4.1.x not 4.4 that my nexii are

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: September 05, 2014, 09:44:44 PM
Since I don't have sd cards on my nexus 4 & 7 I have no idea. My wife's phone is only running 4.1.x not 4.4 that my nexii are

Yeah, this was a change made in kitkat (4.4.x)  There's the whole towelroot thing that went on.  Then Google hired the guy who figured out the crack for 4.4 to root it.  Now that hole is patched and the guy (geohot) has been hired to seek out and patch holes in software all over the internet for google.  The kid is like 19 years old.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: September 05, 2014, 09:52:06 PM
Sounds familiar, although I haven't been praying much attention to anything this past 9 months or so...

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: September 05, 2014, 10:03:36 PM
Sounds familiar, although I haven't been praying much attention to anything this past 9 months or so...

:o

Oh?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56