Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking at a new sling/backpack any info on it?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Looking at a new sling/backpack any info on it?
on: July 13, 2014, 07:12:04 PM
I was looking for a little/mini carry sling/backpack and came across one I kinda like and I was just wondering if any one has any history with them, a Maxedition REMORA GEARSLINGER? Of course the price is outrageous and way out of my price range, so I looked around and found the same identical one for a 10% of there price(more of my budget) :D so I was just wondering if anyone has or had used this style and can give any info on them?? Thanks JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Re: Looking at a new sling/backpack any info on it?
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 02:18:43 PM
I had both the Maxpedition Remora and the larger version, named the Lunada.  Both are good quality, but I sold the Lunada because I only needed to carry a small number of items short distances.

Carrying a sling pack may take some getting used to if you are used to traditional backpacks with two shoulder straps.   Sling packs are apt to "find their own position" on your body unless you use the small secondary strap usually provided.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 06:43:24 PM
I had both the Maxpedition Remora and the larger version, named the Lunada.  Both are good quality, but I sold the Lunada because I only needed to carry a small number of items short distances.

Carrying a sling pack may take some getting used to if you are used to traditional backpacks with two shoulder straps.   Sling packs are apt to "find their own position" on your body unless you use the small secondary strap usually provided.
Thanks, so far I've warn mine three times. Your right it felt a little funny, I was always used to a backpack but only with one strap, just not cross chest, unless it was long distance,then I put the second strap on. But since the sling is light weight, after about five min of shifting it around, pulling my shirt to get it right, and moving the shoulder pad I put on, it kinda disappears.. The only thing I'm getting used to is the kids,, since I wear a over shirt, long tan pants, a boonie/sun hat, and now a cross chest strap, they say "hey Indy, where's your whip?" From Indiana jones, I just don't have the whip or leather jacket.. JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 12:38:03 AM
I like a smallish sling bag for EDC, but find they are normally only large enough to carry what you need and nothing else. So no storing of anything you may pickup along your days travel. Which I'm ok with.

I couldn't justify spending in the range of $90 for such small bags so I skipped Maxpedition and went with a Red Rock Outdoor Gear Sling Bag. Good not great but at about $30 shipped I couldn't complain and bought a couple in different colors.

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 12:53:26 AM
For me it´s a vintage 1941 british gas mask bag/Indiana Jones satchel as my "man-purse".  :D
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 02:50:44 AM
I think you get smurf because of your hat more than the bag Indy.

you should like a gear slinger JR all the maxpedition products I've seem have been made very well.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 02:57:14 AM by JAfromMn »
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 05:30:34 AM
Dang, I kinda forgot about this post, I've fixed my bag up, changed all the zippers to black reflective paracord with glow tips rather then the metal tabs, also one unique red one with a whistle tip, wrapped the handle with the same paracord for a better grip, added Velcro in a few spots for more room for patches, attached a flashlight sheath on the side, added the shoulder pad for some comfort, and put a seatbelt cutter on the strap(also has a bottle opener!) other then that I had a few patches made to blend in, just need some more to fill in the Velcro, well and a black shoulder pad cause the OD one doesn't look right,, JR
What I ordered,  what I get,  Before and after,,

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%