Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Survival light

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Survival light
on: July 15, 2014, 12:14:22 AM
At one time I kept a mini Mag-light in my survival kit. Like every other Mag-light I've owned the batteries corroded solid into the flashlight. Was just looking through my kit and realized I'd never gotten around to replacing the Mag-light.

I'm looking for a light for the survival kit. Needs to be small, light, high output, and NON-Corroding. Also reasonably priced. Suggestions?

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Survival light
Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 12:35:46 AM
What battery configuration are you looking for? Single or multiple modes (lots of light when you need it and extended run time when a little less light will do)? Twisty operation or a clicky switch? Pocket clip or sheath/bag carry?

I think you might like the Fenix E11 (if you can still find one) or E12. Simple clicky switch. And it won't break the bank at about $26.

And consider going for Eneloop rechargable batteries or Energizer Lithium primaries. They won't leak and will last for years.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 01:23:59 AM
Definitely go with Eneloop batteries. As well as what enki has posted, Eneloops are also good for cold weather operation.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 09:31:46 AM
Do you really need a high output? Not trying to be argumentative but if its a torch for a survival situation then I'd be chasing long runtimes and bulletproof reliability personally and get something like a Fenix EO1 or better yet a Gerber Infinity Ultra which can run on both AAA and AA batteries and there plenty bright enough to light a room or corridor :)

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 09:55:21 AM
Surefire seem to have good reputation, in the US but I have never seen any.
Rayonac indistructible also has a good name, in the US, but, again, I have never seen one.

A maglite led should be fine (small model) as they are prety basic and thus less prone to problems.

Also, any basic light from Fenix, Jetbeam, Olight, Tank007 etc. Good anodising will prevent the corrosion, but maybe you need to go for plastic or SS.

I have had very good luck with the Tank007 E09 which I have been using for a few years (I have several but have been using the same one on my keychain) and has proven very solid and runs on any AAA size battery. Good modes too and very bright on high. But, it has noticeable PWM on low.
Good runtime on low.

As sugested go with primary lithiums as they last for years.  The ability to use common batteries is a plus. AA size torches will give a good compromise between run time and size.

If you need something water-resistant then most decent ones should be OK. For heavier rain/ underwater use you may want to look into e.g. Xtar for a cheap, good one. There are also some cheaper ones that work fine, using 4AA batteries, so they are big. however they are plastic so they will not corrode easily. (check the review section for more)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 11:15:15 AM
I'd have a look at the 2014 version of the Thrunite Saber.  You get two battery tubes so you can use either AA or CR123, good high levels, long run time on the AA Low, and a Firefly mode that I find handier that I thought I would that gives you days of light.  Very reasonable price too.  I agree with the others in suggesting you move away from leaving Alkaline cells in your lights, so either move over to a different battery type or store them outside of your torch.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 02:21:32 PM
4Sevens Atom a0 is my suggestion.

It's a single AAA light and is about the size of a AA. Weighs practically nothing. Moonlight setting (1/4 lumen-ish) that will run for 5 days on a fresh battery, and high mode of 30lm. Very floody, with no rear reflector, but what's around the bulb is made of glow in the dark material, so you can see it after it's run for a bit.

The moonlight mode is enough to see tasks within 5 or so feet pretty well, and I can actually read by it at a range of about a foot. If it actually runs for 5 days straight, I can't imagine a much better option for emergency survival use, except a solar powered light.

It has a magnet in the tail for setting against metal surfaces.

I use an Energizer Lithium in mine, and am still trying to find out how long it takes to run it down with frequent use.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 04:29:36 PM
I'd also be considering long run time and versatile battery usage.  I'd go with Nimh batteries with your light and you will have power when you need it.

I like

Preon P0     lumen 25/.24  run times  1.5 hours/120 hours

Thrunite Ti2   lumen 81/3  run times  45mins/36 hours

Olight I3 eos   lumen 80/20/.5   run times  35min/8 hours/60hours

Gerber Infinity Ulta  lumen 8   run times varies some sites say 36 hours some say 60 hours but the great thing is this light will take AA or AAA batteries and run them DEAD. 

Esse Quam Videri

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 05:01:03 PM
If you want to set and forget then as dks and others suggest definitely go for primary lithium batteries - these won't corrode and should have a shelf life of 10 years.

If you are happy to change out batteries every 6 months then eneloops are a great choice.  You can also get solar battery chargers for long term off-grid use.

If you must use alkaline batteries, then don't leave them in the light, put them in a sealable plastic bag (we call them ziploc in Oz).

For a survival light look for long, long run time and zero parasitic drain (so no electronic switches like in Zebralights and others).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 06:17:36 PM
If you are happy to change out batteries every 6 months then eneloops are a great choice.  You can also get solar battery chargers for long term off-grid use.

Why 6 months? :think: Eneloops keep 70% of their charge even 5 years later.

gb Offline Dr Gonzo

Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 07:19:04 PM
County Comm have the MARATAC™ COPPER CR123 on sale for $37.95 ;)
You could load it with a fresh CR123 then forget about it for 5 years then turn it on and it would work with no corrosion of the cell :tu:

I have one I got from endtimesreport as they ship to the UK...anyone in the US who lights high quality lights should jump on this deal while you can.

http://www.countycomm.com/cu123.html
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 07:24:15 PM

That might be with an unused eneloop fresh from the factory, but I find a few of my used eneloops self-discharge more than that (most are better).  And yes, I use a good charger (Maha c9000) and don't abuse them.  YMMV.

I see the need for absolute reliability for a "survival light".
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 07:35:52 PM

That might be with an unused eneloop fresh from the factory, but I find a few of my used eneloops self-discharge more than that (most are better).  And yes, I use a good charger (Maha c9000) and don't abuse them.  YMMV.

I have a set of eneloop AAs that I've been using since 2008 (I keep them dated) and just pulled them out of the 47s AA^2 I keep in my car. They were charged in November and just checked the charge on them. 1,37 and 1,36  I consider that good. :D

Are the ones you experienced bigger discharges the regular ones or the Lite ones?

But yes, for years long storage and absolute reliability, Energizer Lithiums. :hatsoff:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 11:14:30 PM

As far as I know, the Preon P0 is now known as the Atom A0 I listed just above your post. Same flashlight. I actually have the titanium version. T0? Something like that. I think it was a limited run.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 12:03:40 AM

As far as I know, the Preon P0 is now known as the Atom A0 I listed just above your post. Same flashlight. I actually have the titanium version. T0? Something like that. I think it was a limited run.

I love that light :tu: I also have a Atom A0 Titanium but with a Red led and love it too.  What a great little night light. 
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #15 on: July 16, 2014, 02:07:20 AM

I have a set of eneloop AAs that I've been using since 2008 (I keep them dated) and just pulled them out of the 47s AA^2 I keep in my car. They were charged in November and just checked the charge on them. 1,37 and 1,36  I consider that good. :D

Are the ones you experienced bigger discharges the regular ones or the Lite ones?

They are the regular ones. 

Eneloops are notoriously difficult to test for remaining charge because they maintain a relatively flat voltage "curve" throughout discharge.  The only way I have to accurately check how much charge they have left is to actually discharge them on my C9000 (and then they are flat and need recharging anyway).  I have lots of them because I use them in everything I can, so as soon as a light won't go on high I just swap another one in.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 02:29:35 AM
Appreciate the info.

I'm interested in something that can sit untouched in the car trunk for years and be ready to go when needed. Something bright enough to get down off a mountain after dark if need be. Sounds like lithium batteries are the way to go for power. As for the lights that's like asking people their favorite SAK or multitool. I'd prefer something under $25, if there's anything decent. Would also like it red or orange colored rather than black, if available.

us Offline ColoSwiss

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 06:59:06 AM
Terralux was famous a few years ago because they were making drop-in modules that could be used to convert some older lights into LEDs (I think mainly Maglite and surefire?). They had a good reputation for that.

Now these lights are made with LEDs, sometimes for the same money as the drop-ins, so there is not much of a market.

I assume their torches will be good, but I did not know that they actually made any untill now.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 09:29:10 AM
They did (perhaps still do) have a reputation for over egging their claims on lumen levels.

In fact I've just looked at the numbers and I don't think they add up.  300 lumen for 3 hours on 2xAA?  Or 100 lumen for over 24 hours?  Nope those just don't add up IMO.  I'm not actually saying that this is necessarily a bad light, but take those numbers with a pinch of salt when comparing it to other flashlights.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 09:44:17 AM
I still think Thrunite are had to beat for the money.  How about the Archer 2A? http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-archer-2a-cw/

...and a roll of tape? :D

The Archer gets a review here: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/25093

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 01:54:38 PM
..... but take those numbers with a pinch of salt when comparing it to other flashlights.

This is so true - always take all manufacturer figures with (varying sizes of) a pinch of salt for illumination levels and run times.  Most quote the maximum illumination level it has after a short time (eg 10 - 30 seconds), then how long it lasts until it gets down to something like 10% (or some other %ge that is only a fraction) of the original level.

If you want the real story look for an independent run time graph, that will tell you what you can realistically expect.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 02:17:05 PM
Hm, the orange or red factor makes this a very limited search.

Only one I can think of is the Streamlight Stylus Pro (comes in both red or orange I think form some dealers) in the 2xAAA format.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=133

Foursevens makes a Preon P2 that's available in yellow and red, but that's $50.

http://www.foursevens.com/products/P2-BE

Icon Link might be something for you in the AA format but it seems discontinued.

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 04:00:31 PM
These little ones are not that bad, at least if you just want a flashlight, and are no flashaholic:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7W-UltraFire-CREE-Q5-LED-300lm-Mini-ZOOMABLE-Flashlight-Torch-Lamp-New-Nice-/311011351331?pt=US_Flashlights&var=610301071498&hash=item4869b89b23

Just a general pick after a short search on ebay.com (as you are from the US), i´m not knowing that shop. I´ve seen them sold here in german shops for 12€/16$ and more.

I bought some of them from UK and some from Hongkong (at least 3 red for our cars, a blue for my ladies purse, a black for my small edc), to accompany the bigger flashlights in and around the house. Of course they are not as bright as promised, but nonetheless fairly bright - and their biggest advantage, in my opinion, is that they work with 14500, AA standard batteries, eneloops, and Lithium energizers. So whatever is needed, you can use (14500 for brightness, energizers for storing them a longer time without use, or reg AAs for easy access in next to every shop/gas station, or use the AAs from other equipment like a radio, if really needed).

There is also a slighly bigger version with the same look out there, XML T6 with various modes - but that needs 18650s only, so not as versatile as the small ones.

But don´t buy them with that cheaply rechargeable 14500 and cheap chargers, that some shops are offering as a "ready to go"-set. Only use quality chargers and 14500, if you plan to go that way. But i suggest Eneloops or Energizers as the way to go, or regular AAs for easy access.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 11:52:06 PM
Appreciate the info.

I'm interested in something that can sit untouched in the car trunk for years and be ready to go when needed. Something bright enough to get down off a mountain after dark if need be. Sounds like lithium batteries are the way to go for power. As for the lights that's like asking people their favorite SAK or multitool. I'd prefer something under $25, if there's anything decent. Would also like it red or orange colored rather than black, if available.

I put together a kit of easy to find stuff ...

... and it includes this ...

... pop in a lithium AAA and you're all set. Modest lumens, but enough to find your footing and anything you happen to drop, but good runtime which is probably more important when in the middle of nowhere  :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #25 on: July 17, 2014, 12:04:01 AM
I gifted my Nitecore away but it was a good little light :)

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #26 on: July 17, 2014, 12:11:05 AM
Some other thought:

Emergency light, long shelf life (Lithium) with long operation time? Small size, and different modes?
Did you ever ask yourself, if you would have a hand just to hold a light in an emergency (think patching someone/yourself up, or an injured arm)?
I went and bought the Petzl e+LITE as a small, pocketable light in January and so far I am happy with it. I did not make a night round through the forest yet, but used it at our easter fire and it hold up well for normal 'camp use', sorting and packing after the fire burned down, finding the way back to the car, etc.
Though it has a headband, this is very basic - but it works, and you can also put the band around your wrist or on your pack. In fact, it has a lot of capabilites in a small package, imho!

And now I let the official site do the talking ;)
http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/headlamps/super-compact/elite

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #27 on: July 17, 2014, 12:36:41 AM
Yeah, I have an e+lite and they are very good .... and it's red ;) ... although it does take coin cells. My fave headlamp is the Silva Ninox which takes 3x AAA batteries, but is actually quite comfortable, and does everything I need.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #28 on: July 17, 2014, 03:50:46 AM
A couple of friends also recommended the Petzl headlamps. So I ordered out a Petzl Tikka in yellow and the the orange TerraLux. Will load them with lithium batteries and hope they work if ever needed.

Appreciate the recommendations here.  :cheers:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 04:09:46 AM
I've used to have a Petzl Tikka 2 and was quite happy with it. Gave it to my dad when I got a Zebralight headlamp. He still uses it regularly. :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%