Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

93mm SAK Question == Marlin Spike & Inline Awl

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
93mm SAK Question == Marlin Spike & Inline Awl
on: July 15, 2014, 05:07:52 PM
Is it possible to have the inline awl and the marline spike in the same SAK?
For example add the Seaman layer to the Farmer?
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: 93mm SAK Question == Marlin Spike & Inline Awl
Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 06:49:09 PM
Nothing is impossible, but depending on how you want the tools layed out it might be awkward. 

The awl does fit where the can opener goes, but then the bottle opener does not fit across from it.  Well I made it fit once by bending the bottle opener a bit, but I dont think Id do it that way again.

Now I think it would work if say the awl goes where the can opener fits, and put it in a triple tool layer with the bottle opener and phillips.  that should fit ok.

Now if you want the marlin spike and awl AND can opener, that will be tricky.  At that point Id probably try to leave the opener layer as is, and put the awl in a center layer not on a scale and put another tool with it.

Thats all I can think of...  :think:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 11:14:31 PM
Thanks for the info.

For me it appears like the 93mm is symetrical, so I was thinking
Front layer: Awl / Blade
Saw / Metal File in the middle
Back layer: Marlin Spike / Blade

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 11:21:45 PM
Thanks for the info.

Ah yes that would absolutely work no problem.  Im used to having to try to fit in the opener layer, but if you dont need that, its no problem at all.  Your configuration would be an ideal one if you wanted to serrate one blade too, since its a dual blade setup.   :tu:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 11:30:57 PM
Thanks for the info.

Ah yes that would absolutely work no problem.  Im used to having to try to fit in the opener layer, but if you dont need that, its no problem at all.  Your configuration would be an ideal one if you wanted to serrate one blade too, since its a dual blade setup.   :tu:
Thanks for the quick reply.

That was exactly my idea, have a serrated blade. It could perform all the tasks during mountaineering and hiking.

de Offline HankSolon

Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 08:02:04 AM
But I would think about it, if it's really neccessary to have that second blade and second awl. The Marlin Spike itself can be used as an awl, too. Of course it's not the same. But the benefit of a scissor in your knife would be larger, imho.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 09:25:56 AM
But I would think about it, if it's really neccessary to have that second blade and second awl. The Marlin Spike itself can be used as an awl, too. Of course it's not the same. But the benefit of a scissor in your knife would be larger, imho.
The marlin spike should be smooth and blunt, whereas the awl should be pointy and sharp. So I see benefit in having both.

This setup is of course not for EDC but specifically for hiking / mountaineering. I'm considering dropping the wood-saw, as the metal saw can do that job too and its very rarely used by me (and the tree-line is at 2200m ::)). There is no job for scissors on a hike (even in everyday situations I rarely use scissors*), if anything then the serrated blade should be a rescue blade (blunt tipped) and OHO.

* Most people seem to agree with you, but I really don't use scissors. I even ordered a custom CT without scissors because I don't need them :D...

de Offline HankSolon

Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 09:02:25 AM
In my experience, sometime mates hiking with you will like the scissor, too! ;-)

My Sea Ranger for instance will be my hiking knife for high areas too. But I have to admit, that there are occasions where a 111mm Outdoor knife is very useful, too.  ::) I will make decision depending if I'm on urban areas. Like my next trip in Albania. Here I feel much more safer with my Sea Ranger in a city or when stopped at the customs declarations.

However, a blunt tipped OHO rescue blade is something you will find on the 111mm models. But I don't like it, since the knife itself isn't comfortable anymore. Doing a rescue blade on the 93mm models with OHO... I don't have any idea how to manage it. Especialy with a tool layout with more than 2 layers. Except of course Syph's idea. You could reprofile the electrician blade to a serrated rescue blade. But here you may say "Hello" to the opener layer, or skip the awl.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 09:05:34 AM by HankSolon »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 10:14:28 AM
In my experience, sometime mates hiking with you will like the scissor, too! ;-)
We have a saying here:
"E rächte bueb het en Hegel im Sack"
"A real boy has a knife in his pocket"
So every hiker will have his own SAK :D. And then there is certainly some sort of scissors in the first-aid kit.

However, a blunt tipped OHO rescue blade is something you will find on the 111mm models. But I don't like it, since the knife itself isn't comfortable anymore. Doing a rescue blade on the 93mm models with OHO... I don't have any idea how to manage it. Especialy with a tool layout with more than 2 layers. Except of course Syph's idea. You could reprofile the electrician blade to a serrated rescue blade. But here you may say "Hello" to the opener layer, or skip the awl.
Actually, Syph has already done a 93mm OHO blade, so yes replace the regular blade with a pruning blade, make it serrated and bluntish should be the way to go. I think the thumb stud (OHO) is not such a good idea, because the stud will be in the way when cutting (I have to meditate on this though :P).

Full Post
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 10:16:06 AM by Etherealicer »

de Offline HankSolon

Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 11:29:08 AM
We have a saying here:
So every hiker will have his own SAK :D. And then there is certainly some sort of scissors in the first-aid kit.

I wasn't thinking about the bueb, but about the "Mahdels".  ;)

Could you point to that 93mm OHO blade (not the electrician, we both linked to that)?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 01:02:08 PM
We have a saying here:

I wasn't thinking about the bueb, but about the "Mahdels".  ;)

Could you point to that 93mm OHO blade (not the electrician, we both linked to that)?
My bad, we mean the same OHO blade, but I ordered a locking OHO 91 from Syph (But I don't think he has come around to work on that yet).

Most "Mädels" that come hiking are carrying too (As a matter of fact, I wouldn't know one that doesn't). Lots of girls here carry a SAK.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%