Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman OHT

jzmtl · 22 · 3944

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Leatherman OHT
on: July 16, 2014, 11:53:31 PM
After Gerber’s sliding plier head patent expired, Leatherman decided to try their hand on this particular design, and their first offering is the OHT. It’s a large tool aimed at the tactical/EMT crowd. Leatherman doesn’t say what OHT stands for, but I’m guessing there probably is a One Hand somewhere. It comes with a MOLLE compatible sheath which will also work with belt.

Most parts of the tool are finished with black oxide coating, and handle scales come in either tan or black. Black oxide finish isn't particularly wear resistant, so expect the black to fade with use. The scales are painted stamped sheet metal, despite my initial impression of anodized aluminum.

The pliers are well machined with sharp teeth, and a replaceable hard steel wire cutter inserts, which are also blackened. It’s spring loaded, which takes up a lot of space and preclude any inside tools. But then again, if there were any inside tools it wouldn't be called the OHT, wouldn't it.

On one side of the slide is a lock, which if turned 90 degrees locks the pliers in closed position. It was a problem on Gerber pliers that come with open bottom sheath, which guaranteed to stick its head out to poke you by end of the day. With the MOLLE sheath it’s not a problem, but I guess Leatherman figured might as well make it more secure. On the other side of the slide is a threaded hole for attaching gun cleaning rods, which is only usable with pliers in, so perhaps it’s another reason for the lock.

In the traditional Leatherman fashion, a plain edge knife and a serrated knife are included. Although for a right handed person, it’s the plain edge knife and strap cutter that are in the natural one hand open position, while serrated knife and wood saw are on the back side. The opening hole of the strap cutter also doubles as an oxygen tank wrench.

Also included are three sizes of flat head screwdrivers, a #2 Phillips driver, and a can/bottle opener. The flat head drivers works on any slotted screws, although I have to admit I really had to try to find them. Incidentally they also work well for light duty prying, which probably what most flat head screwdrivers are relegated to nowadays. The Phillips driver is the flat type, but thick enough to engage Phillips screws well, and to my surprise, also works on recessed screws. All tools are locked open via liner lock.

On the handle scale, pictograph indicating which tool is in which position is stamped in. A nice touch, although I would preferred additional tactile indicator, such as notches on back of blade ala Leatherman Wave.

Due to the design which requires two tools to occupy the same slot, the large blades are all quite small. The two knife blades and saw are only 2 1/4 inches long.

Consider the tool is named after its design criteria, how is its one hand operating ability anyway? My usual testing for this is with my winter glove and ski glove.

The OHT passed my winter glove test with flying colors, I can easily open and close all its components.

I can also open the tools with my ski gloves, but closing them proved to be quite difficult. There wasn't enough space for the thick insulation to fit, thus I couldn't get close enough to the liner locks to fully disengage them. Even with two hands it proved to be quite a challenge. But realistically, you probably won’t use gloves as heavy as ski gloves with any tool.

The aforementioned short tools can be a problem at times, especially the saw. Going through thinner pieces it’s not much of a problem, but I would say 3/4 inch is the max it can handle comfortably. Larger piece can be cut, but it’s frustrating especially on greenwood, which clogs the teeth quickly.

So how well does the OHT work? I'm no operator or EMT and I don't play one on TV, so I won’t speculate how it’ll work for those folks. From a layman's point of view, while it’s functional, there are better alternatives. You have to consider that you are essentially getting Juice’s tools in Surge’s frame, is it worth "one hand everything"? Personally I don't think so, but if you gotta have a cold one while fighting hoards of zombie with your other hand, it's the tool for you.

Pro:
One hand everything, even with gloves!
Everything locks
Good Phillips driver

Con:
Small tools
Large/heavy for what you get
Fewer tool count compare to its plebian cousins

00 Offline freginold

Re: Leatherman OHT
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 01:06:33 AM
Wow, that is a great review!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 01:26:40 AM
Wow, that is a great review!

+1!

I'm surprised it's taken this long for a full review of the OHT!

It's got me :drool: for mine when it arrives :gimme:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 02:19:04 AM
Nice one Jie! Very telling Juice/Surge comparisons at the conclusion

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nz Offline claws42

Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 02:48:09 AM
Wow that's a fantastic review!  :tu: :tu:

Was lucky enough to try the OHT the other day, I must agree with you, the main tools just seem too short for me.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 07:33:17 PM
Thanks, it was fun tinker with it and see how it work.

I just noticed a bunch of grammar and editing errors while going over it again, but I guess that's why we have an editor if it goes on the main site. I mean we do have one, right? :facepalm:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 07:53:14 PM
Good review.  :tu:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 08:08:58 PM
Thanks, it was fun tinker with it and see how it work.

I just noticed a bunch of grammar and editing errors while going over it again, but I guess that's why we have an editor if it goes on the main site. I mean we do have one, right? :facepalm:

Right. :D

And no, it's not me, we have a proper native speaker one. :rofl:

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 08:18:29 PM
You have to consider that you are essentially getting Juice’s tools in Surge’s frame, is it worth "one hand everything"? Personally I don't think so.

This is the same conclusion that I drew.  I am somewhat disappointed in that, as I was looking forward to Leatherman's version of the Gerber MP600.  I am very big on considering size/weight vs. utility, and for me the OHT falls short in this regard.  Yeah, I would love to win one in a giveaway.  But as you say, you get a lot more utility in the Surge for the same size and weight.   Rock on.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 09:36:39 PM
Great review Jie!!  :tu:  I'm really on the fence about getting one of these.  I keep floppy back and forth on whether I should get one or not.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 04:05:22 AM
Great review Jie!!  :tu:  I'm really on the fence about getting one of these.  I keep floppy back and forth on whether I should get one or not.

I was going to say no, but when's the last time not the most useful has stopped any of us getting a new toy anyway.  :D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 08:18:01 AM
Thanks for the review, I was wondering if this tool is for me as I very much like OHO, but I don't like bulk sooo... meh still undecided :P
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 12:50:19 PM

I was going to say no, but when's the last time not the most useful has stopped any of us getting a new toy anyway.  :D
That's the spirit!  :tu:  I probably will get one at one point, maybe trade something for one.

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 08:27:13 PM
 :tu:
Leatherman

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 08:34:42 PM

That's the spirit!  :tu:  I probably will get one at one point, maybe trade something for one.
Or win one here!!  ;)

za Offline mrmustard

Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 10:33:20 PM
Thanks for the review. I have ordered one for my collection as well, should be arriving in 2 weeks. I can't really see myself using it functionally but I am intrigued by the design and that is more than enough reason to buy a new MT  :multi:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 01:04:49 AM
Thanks for the review. I have ordered one for my collection as well, should be arriving in 2 weeks. I can't really see myself using it functionally but I am intrigued by the design and that is more than enough reason to buy a new MT  :multi:

You might be surprised boet :pok:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 01:23:06 AM
  I can't really see myself using it functionally but I am intrigued by the design and that is more than enough reason to buy a new MT  :multi:
+1
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

za Offline mrmustard

Reply #18 on: July 26, 2014, 07:17:00 AM

You might be surprised boet :pok:

Haha. So true bru, I bought the ST300 and said 'I am not lugging this almost 300g monster with me!!' but ended up using it a fair bit since its arrival 3months ago so I might be eating those words soon enough :dwts:

I will EDC it for a few days just to get the fiddle factor out the way

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #19 on: July 26, 2014, 05:44:42 PM
Very informative, thanks!  :tu:
Antonio

no Offline Grathr

Reply #20 on: July 26, 2014, 06:23:22 PM
Nice review!
It looks a bit too big and heavy for my taste. But I bet soldiers apriciate that all tools can be opened one handed without having to shoulder/put down your weapon.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 12:23:30 PM
Nice review of a great multitool, enjoy! :)
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD