Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for single AA/14500 ZOOMING light like this.... but quality.

au Offline aussieman

Hi All,

Looking for single AA/14500 flashlight with zoomable head. Recommendations welcome.

I have a Zebralight SC52w which is utterly perfect... apart from no zooming head.

What I love about it:
    Small size for EDC pocket carry, or clip.
    3/6 levels of light output. Long click: Moonlight, Short Click: Nukem.
    4 clicks to get battery life indicator flashes.
    AA AAwesomeness & 14500 Fantasticness. :drink:
    Runtime

Unlike many, I love those LED lights with a zoomable heads that you can tighten until you see the "Space Invaders" square beam with a ton of throw and no spill. I have a larger AAA one... looking to carry one type of battery - AA/14500.

I have ordered some cheapy ebay lights of which I am not expecting dependability or interface features... anyone know what quality lights these might be based on?

Or have other suggestions...  :whistle:

Stuff like
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/311000908666?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/301026849446?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/380940633471?var=650281368874&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

de Offline Lichtbote

I love these headzooms, too.

But i found none that made me feel more money is spend well on it, to get something "more" for the extra cash. So i stayed with the cheap Ultrafires (otoh i don´t care for the features you named, so it´s easier for me).

The good thing is that you don´t really care if one is lost, stolen, fallen on concrete, rolled over by a car, thrown away in anger, .......
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
I have the ones you show and they are fine. Their quality is pretty good. The only branded zoom I know is maglite. Oh, I think romisen makes a zoom that will be good quality.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
There is the LED Lenser P5.2.

but i don't really like their lights and I don't think it's a patch on the Zebralight.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Not a huge fan of the lenser zooming lights either. I had a AAA one and a headtorch, and to be honest, they'd have been better without the zooming feature because it didn't seem particularly well done or effective

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
I have several of these in silver

Cheap as chips, run okay on alkaline AA and even better on 14500. only downside is it's a little bulky compared to some other AA lites

au Offline aussieman

Thanks for the advice fellas.

Will see how these one pan out when they arrive. Probably end up Zebralight the EDC, and take one of these for backup/throw.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Arrrg. Victim of passive enabling.
Just ordered one of the first pics in the original post.  :facepalm:

At 5bux delivered how could I not?

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
Okay, so this one's arrived. And I have to say I'm impressed. Runs well enough on alkaline that I'm not even going to put a 14500 in it (yet).
Will take it outside when it gets dark and compare it to some other flashlights I have, mostly DX stuff too.

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Okay, so this one's arrived. And I have to say I'm impressed. Runs well enough on alkaline that I'm not even going to put a 14500 in it (yet).
Will take it outside when it gets dark and compare it to some other flashlights I have, mostly DX stuff too.

http://www.tomtop.com/media/catalog/product/h/1/h11055-6-7468.jpg

I bough same thing few months ago. Nice and bright light. Good zoom, and only two brightness and strobo. Only hoping it had eighter memory, or lose strobo. It works brighter with 14500.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
It does strike me as odd sometimes, but LED Lenser are they only 'quality' brand I can think of that routinely produces zoomable lights, other than Maglite of course. ;)

I have a Romisen RC-29 from DX that I've found to be a good quality light for the price.  The irregular shape did mean that I've never given it quite the use I might have intended, I just couldn't find a convenient way to carry it.

http://www.dx.com/p/romisen-rc-29-cree-q5-wc-3-mode-180-lumen-convex-lens-led-flashlight-with-strap-1-aa-1-14500-50679#.U-Hzp2ObLIU
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%