Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

looking to purchase a Rebar,BUT.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: looking to purchase a Rebar,BUT.
Reply #30 on: July 19, 2014, 09:10:38 PM
I'd certainly soften "must have" to "definitely worth trying".

It MIGHT be the best tool you ever bought, OR you might think like I did "why the smurf did I buy this  :facepalm:" after 5 minutes of playing with it. I moved mine on very quickly. The ergos and drivers were great IIRC, but the plier heads and uber thin blades were a big no no for me

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #31 on: July 19, 2014, 10:08:59 PM
The ergos and drivers were great IIRC, but the plier heads and uber thin blades were a big no no for me

Ah, the plier heads are no thinner than the Wave, Charge or any of the others. In fact they look stronger overall (but that might just be the extra chunkiness to handle having replaceable cutters).

The blades are also more sturdy than any of the Blast series, I'd say the same thickness as the Wave, just not as long.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #32 on: July 19, 2014, 10:10:18 PM
The ergos and drivers were great IIRC, but the plier heads and uber thin blades were a big no no for me

Ah, the plier heads are no thinner than the Wave, Charge or any of the others. In fact they look stronger overall (but that might just be the extra chunkiness to handle having replaceable cutters).

The blades are also more sturdy than any of the Blast series, I'd say the same thickness as the Wave, just not as long.
The blades are considerably thinner than the Wave's.
SAW

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: July 19, 2014, 10:14:55 PM

My gripe on the plier heads is not the size, but the cutters impeding on the gripping area. I tried to grip something (forget what) and the cutters dug into it. I'd also strongly disagree with the blades being as robust as the Blast ones. They are very slim ... or at least they were on the one I had. I don't know if any changes have been made.

us Offline sawman

Reply #34 on: July 19, 2014, 10:19:07 PM

My gripe on the plier heads is not the size, but the cutters impeding on the gripping area. I tried to grip something (forget what) and the cutters dug into it. I'd also strongly disagree with the blades being as robust as the Blast ones. They are very slim ... or at least they were on the one I had. I don't know if any changes have been made.
As Gareth demonstrated in his review, the Rebar's blades do bend given the slightest bit of effort. I've heard some say that thinner blades are better cutters but I am slightly concerned with the blade snapping in half being a safety issue.
SAW

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #35 on: July 19, 2014, 10:21:09 PM

I've got them both in front of me and it doesn't look any different in terms of thickness (Rebar vs Charge AL). Hands down the Charge/Wave has a nicer knife. The charge's blade is obviously bigger, but in terms of thickness... I dunno. Maybe a tiny bit? I wouldn't be saying considerably.

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #36 on: July 19, 2014, 10:23:21 PM
As Gareth demonstrated in his review, the Rebar's blades do bend given the slightest bit of effort. I've heard some say that thinner blades are better cutters but I am slightly concerned with the blade snapping in half being a safety issue.

Interesting. I haven't noticed that. I'll see if I can track the thread down. I wonder what JAfromMn has to say, he gives his one a beating.

us Offline sawman

Reply #37 on: July 19, 2014, 10:25:53 PM

Interesting. I haven't noticed that. I'll see if I can track the thread down. I wonder what JAfromMn has to say, he gives his one a beating.
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,51664.0.html
SAW

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: July 19, 2014, 10:27:12 PM

Agree with that Steve  :tu: They kind of reminded me of the smaller Opinel blades. Now there's nothing wrong with an Opinel at all, but I don't consider them heavy duty knives, and I'd generally expect something more robust in a multitool

@ RimfireNZ - maybe it's a perspective thing, but the Wave and Charge blades make me feel like I can trust them - the Rebar's don't. I don't have one to re-inspect and comment on now. All I can say is I felt very underwhelmed by it, and concerned that they might fail/break on me

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #39 on: July 19, 2014, 10:35:47 PM

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,51664.0.html

Thanks for posting that Sawman. I see what you're getting at now.

I'd have to agree with Gareth on the cutters taking a bit of the pliers space up... but that being said for my general use that hasn't been an issue (for MY use... might be a problem for others). The plus of these pliers is the grippier, more aggressive teeth (could be a positive/negative depending on what you use it for). Personally that's a positive as it lets me hold onto things much better than the old style LM head.

RE the blade, I could actually bend it too. I'd never tried it before. I still think it's a pretty sturdy little blade. If you twist any knife when it's stuck into something that's going to be a problem. At the end of the day it's still a folding knife.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #40 on: July 19, 2014, 10:41:35 PM

I've got them both in front of me and it doesn't look any different in terms of thickness (Rebar vs Charge AL). Hands down the Charge/Wave has a nicer knife. The charge's blade is obviously bigger, but in terms of thickness... I dunno. Maybe a tiny bit? I wouldn't be saying considerably.

That's what I like about this place, because of this topic I'm compairing the blade thickness of my tools right now ... (and the wife is giving me the  ::) look).

Now, on the pics you posted it does seem as if there's not much difference in thickness, but the blade on the Wave/Charge is a bit rounded off (don't know how to say this in English, I hope this makes sense ...) on the top side.  You should turn the knife upside down and look at the tumb whole, there you see the true thickness of the blade and I think it's thicker than the one on the Rebar, maybe there's somebody with a slide caliper to measure the blades  :pok:.

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #41 on: July 19, 2014, 10:47:00 PM
That's what I like about this place, because of this topic I'm compairing the blade thickness of my tools right now ... (and the wife is giving me the  ::) look).

Now, on the pics you posted it does seem as if there's not much difference in thickness, but the blade on the Wave/Charge is a bit rounded off (don't know how to say this in English, I hope this makes sense ...) on the top side.  You should turn the knife upside down and look at the tumb whole, there you see the true thickness of the blade and I think it's thicker than the one on the Rebar, maybe there's somebody with a slide caliper to measure the blades  :pok:.

Yeah you and Sawman are right there. The Wave/Charge does have a bit of a rounded off blade.

I just did the bend test, and the Rebars blade does flex. The Wave flexes at the pivot, but the blade stays strong. It may not look that different but it does make a big difference. Still, I haven't found it to be an issue under pretty heavy use.

I was wrong :P

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #42 on: July 19, 2014, 11:02:41 PM

Yeah you and Sawman are right there. The Wave/Charge does have a bit of a rounded off blade.

I just did the bend test, and the Rebars blade does flex. The Wave flexes at the pivot, but the blade stays strong. It may not look that different but it does make a big difference. Still, I haven't found it to be an issue under pretty heavy use.

I was wrong :P

I wouldn't say you were "wrong", maybe not completely right ...

(You don't want to mess with the guy who's aiming at you through his avatar  :ahhh)

:surrender:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: July 19, 2014, 11:15:05 PM
 :D

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #44 on: July 19, 2014, 11:36:51 PM
The Rebar is a great tool
 It's not a smaller st 300 it's a tool of its own
I think it's a good edc for my off work needs but it's a little lightweight for the job site.
Defend the Hive!!!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: July 20, 2014, 05:15:34 AM
My one now is a parts rebuild and it is super but I would like to have a factory stock one as well.

au Offline ryan1976

Reply #46 on: July 20, 2014, 05:31:28 AM
I appreciate everyone's input, I'm glad I found my way back here. This is an awesome place for no B'S advice.

The current price for a REBAR here in Perth is $85. So I might give it a try for a while and if I don't like it, I might on sell it.

So far my use of Leatherman's hasn't failed me yet, apart from when my kit was stolen, I haven't been without them.

Off to the shop I go, I will post again on my progress. :D
Leatherman Charge ALX.
          Leatherman Skeletool.
          Leatherman Raptor.
          Leatherman Supertool 300.
          Leatherman Rebar
          Leatherman Sidekick.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: July 20, 2014, 01:46:56 PM

Did you get one yet?  :pok:

au Offline ryan1976

Reply #48 on: July 20, 2014, 03:00:42 PM

No,no I didn't. I fell asleep on the couch :rofl:
I have a day off Tuesday,so will go then.
Leatherman Charge ALX.
          Leatherman Skeletool.
          Leatherman Raptor.
          Leatherman Supertool 300.
          Leatherman Rebar
          Leatherman Sidekick.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #49 on: July 20, 2014, 03:04:33 PM

No,no I didn't. I fell asleep on the couch :rofl:
I have a day off Tuesday,so will go then.

Classic.  :popcorn:

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: July 20, 2014, 04:39:20 PM
I'm always doing that  :whistle:

Anyway, some people were being Wrong On The Internet (IMO) earlier. So here we go. This might put you back asleep again ;)

Fuse

Rebar (PE)

Skeletool

Sideclip

Wingman

Squirt (the P4 and PS4 are the same)

MUT

Spirit

84mm SAK

91mm SAK (newer, thin style)

93mm SAK

MP600

I can't claim this is the last word in quality or accuracy, but it's a start :)

Thanks to Stephen for the use of his workshop again  :salute:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 04:41:17 PM by Cupboard »

us Offline sawman

Reply #51 on: July 20, 2014, 04:45:16 PM
Interesting, the Rebar has one of the thinnest blades available. I value my digits way too much so I'm not going to test this, but I imagine if I bent the Rebar's blade hard enough it just might snap!  ::)
SAW

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #52 on: July 20, 2014, 05:11:03 PM
I imagine if I bent the Rebar's blade hard enough it just might snap!  ::)

That can be said for any blade.

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline sawman

Reply #53 on: July 20, 2014, 05:13:09 PM
I imagine if I bent the Rebar's blade hard enough it just might snap!  ::)

That can be said for any blade.
Yes, but I had in mind bending it with my bare hands, there's a difference.
SAW

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: July 20, 2014, 06:06:22 PM
I could go and put some thick gloves on and try it, or I could just go to the pub.

I think I'll do the latter unless anyone really wants me to break two perfectly good Leatherman blades in the name of science ;)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #55 on: July 20, 2014, 06:13:10 PM
Just make sure it doesn't seem like a good idea after you've been to the pub. ;)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: July 20, 2014, 11:14:26 PM
I've just got back I don't really fancy going across the road to the farm now ;)

Incidentally if anyone's in Norfolk, the Carpenter's Arms in Wighton does a very good Sunday roast. And in fact very nice food full stop. And nice beer. And it's well priced.

Slight downside is you might meet me there ;)

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #57 on: July 21, 2014, 03:14:31 AM
"Some folks" being Rimfire :P Wow Cupboard got all scientific on it. I would have if I had my micrometer on me. The lesson here is if I eyeball something, don't trust it!

I guess it's the same with anything, use it within its limits. Unless you are using the knife as a pry bar, I would hope it wouldn't be an issue. It hasn't for me so far.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #58 on: July 21, 2014, 05:18:48 AM
Having used the Rebar for a while now, I doubt that unless you are going out of the way to break the blade, or any other component, you won't. Normal usage it will be fine. Keep in mind that it is a multitool and the blade is a backup to a dedicated knife and you'll be fine- even then, that's about how thick a lot of the Mora line is.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #59 on: July 21, 2014, 05:26:44 AM
Got any Mora knives Cupboard?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30