Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I've killed another AAA light, what to target next?

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
I had a Feniz E05 and it lasted around 6 months, so I switched to my backup Solitaire LED. That's lasted a shorter period and been a PITA over that time.

Another E05 would be the obvious choice as it has the ideal beam pattern and output for me, but is there anything else out there with a similar beam and price that I should be trying?

Requirements are: AAA, tough, cheap, available in the UK, medium power floody beam, won't turn on in my pocket. Other features won't get counted against a light so long as I can see things when I turn it on - i.e. it should come on to ~25-30 by default. I'm happy to buy second hand if someone wants to get rid of something.

I didn't think I was particularly hard on my tools but given I've killed two lights in less than a year and managed to break a scale off my Manager I clearly am. The other thing I'm considering is a Photon/Fauxton, because a lot of the time I'm carrying my Zebralight anyway. Incidentally, that's still in mint condition and working fine  :tu:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 04:30:30 PM by Cupboard »

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: I've killed another AAA light, what to target next?
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 04:08:54 PM
If you want another E05 maybe you can try the new limited Stainless Steel E05? http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-e05-stainless-led-flashlight-2014-edt/

By I think it comes on high first, not sure, really.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 04:33:06 PM
I had seen that, but it doesn't seem to add anything I want over the normal one yet it's 50% more expensive.

I wish Zebralight did a AAA light.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 04:36:42 PM
If you want another E05 maybe you can try the new limited Stainless Steel E05? http://www.fenix-store.co...-led-flashlight-2014-edt/

By I think it comes on high first, not sure, really.

According to the manual, it comes on low first.

http://www.fenixlight.com.cn/download/E05SS-Multilingual-User-Manual.pdf
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 04:39:13 PM
When will I learn to read.....  :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 05:41:12 PM
http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1316

May be of interest to you. Not in the UK but a reliable seller.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 05:46:42 PM
The other thing I'm considering is a Photon/Fauxton, because a lot of the time I'm carrying my Zebralight anyway.

If you only want one light level the fauxtons are dead simple and therefore reliable (if it's not working properly just replace the batteries and/or bend the legs of the LED - these things don't even have a switch, just two batteries and an LED).

If you want variable levels of light then a Photon Freedom Micro is the go ( I like the covert nose version as it has less side glare).

Both are very compact and light, so make a great back-up light.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 09:32:25 PM
You could try a Tank007 E09.

I'm curious how you're killing these lights.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 09:52:29 PM

+1 Good idea!

Or there's the iLight iO3?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 09:57:19 PM
Close, but not quite correct. :P

olight i3

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 09:58:30 PM
the link I posted is for the Tank, incidentally.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 06:51:24 PM

Thanks, the consensus seems to be if I want to have something different (and why not!) the Tank007 E09 or a little Photon are the way forward.

I have no idea what I'm doing to them. I'm obviously doing something bad because I've lost a Manager scale too.
The Fenix just wouldn't come on one day when I came to need it which was a bit unhelpful. The Maglite will come on eventually if you hit it a few times, there seems to be a problem with the switch because if I take the cap off and wiggle the switch assembly it will come on, but when I put the cap on again it will often then turn off. That's the second Maglite I've had switch issues with, that's what my original AA Mini Mag died of.

I think what I'm going to do is buy an E09 and a Photon and put the Photon on my keys.

Any opinions on Photon vs Fauxton?

de Offline Schneider

Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 09:19:31 PM
Photon is the original while the Fauxton is just a copy. A faux Photon, as the name says. :D You can get 20 of them for the price of one Photon.

The Fauxtons are simple and cause of that very resistant, not much to go wrong with them. Just a LED and 2x 2016 battery.

Have you considered the legendary Fenix E01? Not as bright as the olight i3 or Fenix E05 but much, much harder to break. ;)

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 12:03:31 AM
I've had some Fauxtons from DX before and they did a reasonable job. Is that still the best place to get them from?

I had thought about the E01, it's a bit bigger than the E05 though isn't it? That said I've no idea how big a Tank007 E09 is  :-[

I don't know how the Zebralight has done so much better than the others given it's had 95% of the same abuse. The others looks like they've been abused over the course of a few years, the ZL looks like I got it out of the packet yesterday.

Zebralight: please make a AAA torch!

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 01:39:47 AM
In my quest to hoard every light, SAK, MT and knife ever made (or so it seems), I have ordered the new 2014-flavored Fenix E05 (with 3 outputs) in both aluminum and stainless.   I guess it all depends on what you are after.  If its sneaking to the kitchen at 2 a.m., then a low lumen light would be optimal, but for EDC then a little more output would be good.  I have found the old E05 to be bulletproof, and they sort of have that reputation, but I see that your experience was different.  Sorry to hear that.  But given everything you said, maybe another E05 (pre-2014) would be in order.  I bet that you would have better luck with the next one, and at least here in the Colonies, they are not too spendy - maybe $15.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 01:52:10 AM
Tom, remind me before the meet and I'll bring a Thrunite Ti with me for you to try. Partially tighten for three lumens and fully tighten for ... can't remember, maybe 80 lumens. Simple AAA light, and cheap enough to not get too upset if you break it after 6 months. Also, if you order direct from them, they sometimes have then as "free extras" when you buy another torch

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 02:17:21 AM
I've had some Fauxtons from DX before and they did a reasonable job. Is that still the best place to get them from?

DX stopped selling fauxtons some time ago (possible patent infringement issues has been speculated as the reason). 

I buy my fauxtons from fasttech.com these days, and have had best results from the version with purple bodies (but white LEDs).  The main issue with fauxtons from whatever seller seems to be dud batteries - they come with el-cheapo batteries (no surprise at the price they sell for), but the cheap batteries often have high self-discharge rates and come pre-flattened.  So buy some decent batteries as well (I like Renata, Sony and Energizer CR2016s) and be prepared to change batteries straight away ( but watch out for wildly different prices, depending on where you but them from).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 03:25:45 AM
I had thought about the E01, it's a bit bigger than the E05 though isn't it? That said I've no idea how big a Tank007 E09 is  :-[

E01 and E09 are both slightly larger than the E05, but I don't think the difference is significant enough to have any impact in practice.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 07:03:52 AM

E01 and E09 are both slightly larger than the E05, but I don't think the difference is significant enough to have any impact in practice.

Have a look here for some comparison pictures with the E05 etc. (picture heavy thread)
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,35523.msg618962.html#msg618962

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 09:50:44 PM
Thanks all, you've been really helpful  :cheers:

I know what you mean about the Fauxton batteries, thankfully decent CR2016s aren't too expensive at about 50p each.

I think the immediate solution will be to get a pile of them, try and send the two others off for warranty (we'll see how well that goes) and play with a few at the meetup (thanks Al ;))

Edit: ten each of purple and black ordered for the grand total of £5
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 10:02:20 PM by Cupboard »

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 06:09:35 AM
At the risk of being burnt as a witch , I'm beginning to see the 1xAAA and 2xAAA Mini Mags as the Lee Enfields of small flashlights . They aren't the latest , or greatest , but they work !

Chris

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 07:35:50 AM
If you're wanting something tough I carry a little Solarforce X3 on my keychain.
It's a AAA torch with a 50 lumen output with a twist on switch and most importantly for your case, stainless steel construction :D

It's only $15US too and ships all over the world for $2.

http://solarforceflashlight-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=LF&s=26&id=489

I don't have a better picture sorry I'm at work :P (it's the little silver torch)

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 08:06:26 PM
At the risk of being burnt as a witch , I'm beginning to see the 1xAAA and 2xAAA Mini Mags as the Lee Enfields of small flashlights . They aren't the latest , or greatest , but they work !

Chris

Going to have to disagree with you on that one, having killed two Solitaires (one incandescent and one LED) and a AA incandescent!

That Solarforce looks nice  :tu:
It's not actually the casing that's the problem, it's the internals each time. Maglites it's the switch every time, no idea with the Fenix.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 02:32:03 AM

Chris

Going to have to disagree with you on that one, having killed two Solitaires (one incandescent and one LED) and a AA incandescent!

It's not actually the casing that's the problem, it's the internals each time. Maglites it's the switch every time, no idea with the Fenix.

I've been carrying the same Maglite PRO+ 2xAA at work for over two years now.  The finish is chipped in spots and worn off in others, but it still functions flawlessly.  The Solitaires were always junk though, IMO.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: July 31, 2014, 12:36:30 AM
Throw as many rocks as you like ! If you want a light anything will do , if you need a light stick with top tier stuff like Surefire , HDS , etc. Stay away from AAA , they are leaky ( unless the light isn't a primary tool ) .

Chris

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #25 on: July 31, 2014, 01:08:09 AM

Chris

I've been carrying the same Maglite PRO+ 2xAA at work for over two years now.  The finish is chipped in spots and worn off in others, but it still functions flawlessly.  The Solitaires were always junk though, IMO.

I agree. I used to carry the Solitaire and would have to replace it about every 4-6 months. Dang things just used to stop working for no reason. I had not tried any of the LED ones as I switched to a E01 by the time they started producing the LED version.
I'm the milk man!

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: July 31, 2014, 08:28:22 PM
If you bullet proof 1xAAA , maybe not the brightest but very tuff , check out the ARC 1xAAA with the Ti body . The cct, board is epoxy potted , the battery chamber is done in Kalguard to protect it fron AAA leaks .

I have an old ARC AAA P , from 2004 , again not the brightest , not overdriven - but hasn't skipped a beat in over 10 years . Peak products also make some very strong stainless AAA's .

To be clear , my comments on Mag were in re: the 2xAA , and 2xAAA LED Mags . My 2xAA has been beaten on like a red headed stepchild . It's my loaner lite , for stupid "helpers " who dont show up on the job with a flashlight . The thing's been dropped of ladders , manlifts , and roofs . Still kicking . I've never carried the Solitere , too dim and to small .

Chris

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #27 on: August 01, 2014, 04:30:48 AM
Throw as many rocks as you like ! If you want a light anything will do , if you need a light stick with top tier stuff like Surefire , HDS , etc. Stay away from AAA , they are leaky ( unless the light isn't a primary tool ) .

Chris
Alkaline cells leak, but you have primary (lithium) and rechargeable options (NiMH , LiCo, LiMn, etc.) that don't.
- Terry

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: August 03, 2014, 01:53:53 AM
No alkalines here , Eneloops or Lithiums all the way . Just that if you run outta juice in the field , ya might be tempted to score some alalines at the nearest variety store .

Chris

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: August 03, 2014, 01:38:16 PM
Tom, I'll put together all the AAA lights I can find round the house and bring them down to the meet-up.  Might be something in there that'll inspire you. :shrug:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%