Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I've killed another AAA light, what to target next?

Offline Tedmanshoo

Re: I've killed another AAA light, what to target next?
Reply #30 on: August 03, 2014, 01:44:58 PM
Klarus Mi X6 Ti, great little light!!

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: August 03, 2014, 07:31:24 PM
Tom, I'll put together all the AAA lights I can find round the house and bring them down to the meet-up.  Might be something in there that'll inspire you. :shrug:

:ahhh

Thanks!  :salute:

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: August 05, 2014, 08:13:59 AM
No alkalines here , Eneloops or Lithiums all the way . Just that if you run outta juice in the field , ya might be tempted to score some alalines at the nearest variety store .

Chris

I had two E01s that somehow killed two separate Eneloops through outgassing or something similar, so ymmv. I now use lithiums only in my lights. Thankfully, the E01s survived.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: August 05, 2014, 07:38:52 PM
A Tank007 E09 arrived today which is very good going by DinoDirect.

First impressions are good but we'll see. The Low/High/Med interface is a bit odd and you have to wait a long time to get it to change modes.

Edit: oh, it has memory! That's nice.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 07:41:13 PM by Cupboard »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: August 05, 2014, 08:09:52 PM
Mind bringing it along mate?  I've been a little curious about the E07.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #35 on: August 05, 2014, 11:56:49 PM
No alkalines here , Eneloops or Lithiums all the way . Just that if you run outta juice in the field , ya might be tempted to score some alalines at the nearest variety store .

Chris

I had two E01s that somehow killed two separate Eneloops through outgassing or something similar, so ymmv. I now use lithiums only in my lights. Thankfully, the E01s survived.

It's not a good idea to run a NiMH cell completely down to nothing in a "battery vampire" like the E01.  That will kill a NiMH cell quickly.  All rechargeables (NiMH or Li-Ion) should be topped off periodically to avoid this.
- Terry

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: August 06, 2014, 07:27:39 AM
I always run lithium cells in my personal lights, except:
  • in an emergency/when none are readily available
  • at work, because my employer supplies alkalines

I realize that AAA lights are really convenient, and I carry them myself on my key chains.  However, if your flashlight is seeing rough use and or a lot of use, it is my opinion that a AAA light just might not be up to the challenge.

The basic attraction of a single AAA light, is of course, its small size.  This places some significant restrictions on the ruggedness of the light, some manufacturers' claims to the contrary notwithstanding.  A truly tough AAA light would probably be closer to the size of a AA light, except that then nobody would buy it because it would be judged too large.

The point I'm trying to reach (and I'm probably rambling more than usual as it's past my bedtime) is that you might be well-advised to consider something a bit larger, like perhaps a 2xAA LED Maglite.  I carry mine in a belt holster, and didn't even notice it was there after the first week or two.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #37 on: August 06, 2014, 03:45:22 PM
I realize that AAA lights are really convenient, and I carry them myself on my key chains.  However, if your flashlight is seeing rough use and or a lot of use, it is my opinion that a AAA light just might not be up to the challenge.

The basic attraction of a single AAA light, is of course, its small size.  This places some significant restrictions on the ruggedness of the light, some manufacturers' claims to the contrary notwithstanding.  A truly tough AAA light would probably be closer to the size of a AA light, except that then nobody would buy it because it would be judged too large

An Arc-AAA or a Peak Eiger would likely change your opinion of the "ruggedness" of small AAA lights.  The toughest AA light I've ever seen is a CMG Infinity, and it might be marginally tougher--and is considerably larger--than the Arc or Peak.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 04:08:49 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #38 on: August 06, 2014, 03:53:35 PM

Chris

I figure it's just as likely that the nearest variety store will have lithium AAA as CR123.  Those that don't have lithium cells at all will at least have cells to power a AAA light, leaky or not,  but there's always a great argument for carrying spare cells.

With that said, I personally don't use AAA lights as my primary carry, simply because of low energy storage:size ratio of AAA.  However, I know people who do, and they fit their needs just fine. 

"Top tier" AAA lights can be had...

« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 04:47:41 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #39 on: August 06, 2014, 04:19:43 PM

Chris

It's not a good idea to run a NiMH cell completely down to nothing in a "battery vampire" like the E01.  That will kill a NiMH cell quickly.  All rechargeables (NiMH or Li-Ion) should be topped off periodically to avoid this.

That's good to know. :tu:  I still think I only had a couple hours of use out of each battery when it happened. :shrugs:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #40 on: August 06, 2014, 04:40:44 PM

Chris

That's good to know. :tu:  I still think I only had a couple hours of use out of each battery when it happened. :shrugs:

That's odd....  I have had excellent service from all the Eneloops I've owned.  I have some AAs from 2006 that still charge to 90-95 percent of their original capacity.  The AAs do seem a bit more robust than the AAAs though.
- Terry

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #41 on: August 06, 2014, 04:50:28 PM

Chris

That's odd....  I have had excellent service from all the Eneloops I've owned.  I have some AAs from 2006 that still charge to 90-95 percent of their original capacity.  The AAs do seem a bit more robust than the AAAs though.

I tend to have interesting luck at times when it comes to flashlights, heh.  Hey, Terry, I really like those Peaks you just posted.  I need to eventually get myself one, not that I don't already have enough lights. >.>

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #42 on: August 06, 2014, 05:11:03 PM
Thanks Rex.  :tu:  At least two of those will be for sale soon.  I will try to let you know when & where.  ;)
- Terry

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #43 on: August 06, 2014, 05:32:42 PM
 :climber:
Thanks Rex.  :tu:  At least two of those will be for sale soon.  I will try to let you know when & where.  ;)

That sounds good to me.  You know my PM. :D

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: September 20, 2014, 01:03:00 AM
Olight I3S EOS. 80 lumens high, 20 lumens on medium, moonlight and strobe mods. $25. I have one and so far it's holding up pretty well.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: September 21, 2014, 12:03:28 AM
Thinking I should probably update this.

I'm using the Tank007 E09 as my walking home from the pub torch.
I have a Fauxton on my keyring.
The Zebralight is still holding up perfectly at work.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: September 23, 2014, 04:00:47 AM
Thinking I should probably update this.

I'm using the Tank007 E09 as my walking home from the pub torch.
I have a Fauxton on my keyring.
The Zebralight is still holding up perfectly at work.

I had an original Tank007 on my keychain for three years and it never missed a beat.  The finish is all scratched to hell but still works perfectly.   Great light, especially with the emitter update.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: September 24, 2014, 07:34:09 PM
It's an ideal walking home from the pub light, it's a less good small work light because it's too throwy.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #48 on: September 24, 2014, 08:16:31 PM
It's an ideal walking home from the pub light, it's a less good small work light because it's too throwy.

Well there's always the scotch tape (matte finish) trick. ;) Cut a piece the size of the lens and stick it on it. Voila, instant floody flashlight. :D

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: September 25, 2014, 08:46:22 PM
aaahhh!
Good idea.
Now where do I get that from?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #50 on: September 25, 2014, 09:45:13 PM
You could also try etching/frosting spray (the stuff you get from B&Q etc that you use for "frosting" plain glass). If you try that, I'd be tempted to try and frost the inside of the lens if you can get to it.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #51 on: September 26, 2014, 12:27:03 AM
aaahhh!
Good idea.
Now where do I get that from?

Every office stationary store sould have some. Easily removable if you don't like it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%