Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New owner with a question

jonon9 · 30 · 1863

ie Offline jonon9

New owner with a question
on: July 22, 2014, 04:01:29 PM
OK after years of owning SAK and cheap brand multi tools i treated myself to a new Leatherman Surge and boy what a piece of gear it is.  My first con is the leather sheath its just not great and since this is the best place to get information on them I might as well ask here. What is the best sheath for the Leatherman surge?

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: New owner with a question
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 04:08:22 PM
Hi,good to have you here :tu:

Have a look at a Skinth. They're developed and made by one of our members,and are the dogs danglies of sheathes!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 04:09:55 PM
Just adding a link: Skinth Solutions
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 04:11:17 PM
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 04:12:23 PM

ie Offline jonon9

Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 04:16:53 PM
Been registered for a few minutes and I already got excellent answers thanks everyone. $32 for a quality sheath is a great price. Has anyone any experience with them? Do they hold up well for daily use?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 04:31:56 PM
WOW you guys type fast. 

Greetings and Welcome.  What a great MT right!!!!!   I am not a huge fan of the leather sheath either and prefer their nylon sheath however a Skinth would be the best sheath IMO.  The nylon sheath is good and can accommodate some LM accessories, bit card/bit extender.

The Skinth pictured has my Wave and has held up great.

IMG_4124.jpg
* IMG_4124.jpg (Filesize: 256.82 KB)
IMG_4125.jpg
* IMG_4125.jpg (Filesize: 162.91 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

ie Offline jonon9

Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 04:55:33 PM
I think I'm sold on them sheaths  :gimme:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 05:00:59 PM
Just in case there are still doubts: Skinth Loadout Thread!

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 07:18:36 PM
I think I'm sold on them sheaths  :gimme:

I don't think there's ever been a member here who has regretted purchasing a Skinth. ;) they really are top notch.

ie Offline jonon9

Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 07:48:07 PM
OK iv been browsing  their products and leaning towards the trailblazer for a quick diy type edc if I need it and the single sheath for my surge

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 07:55:33 PM
I used a black molle type sheath for my surge and all the heavy duty mt's i used for maintenance, mines battered but lots of life left in it  :salute: of course one of eric's skinths is a much cooler choice  :salute:

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 07:58:22 PM
keep us posted  :tu:
we never get tired of reviews of 'skinths' here  ;)
they are bloody awesome. I just wish I could afford loads of them  :whistle:

ie Offline jonon9

Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 08:29:07 PM
Ok I think Il get the XL sheild for when I wanna carry the surge on its own and for more of a serious job the Trailblazer. Now I must speak lovely to the wife  :twak:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 10:01:11 PM
I ordered a Skinth, and love it, but mine holds my iphone.

Just understand that they're custom items, so it's not like instant delivery. I think mine took 4 weeks.

But your patience will be rewarded.

And I agree that you might want to consider checking out that Skinth load out thread. Some very col stuff in it.

00 Offline Kukamunga

• drool, *drool* for cool multitoolz
Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 12:51:05 AM
Welcome.  The Skinths are great.  I think I've got a Magnum, which I like.  So, those are really good.

I've also used the LM molle sheaths too.  It just depends.  If you're like me, you want a place where you can put various hack saw blades with, say the driver extension.  Oh, and the removable bit driver.  Er, and the saw and the file.  That's what I look for, but then I tend to kitchen sink things, generally speaking.

How do you like the Surge?  That's how I entered Leathermandom.  It is an awesome tool.  I'd always checked out the Juice line, as I'd see them at Target over the years, but couldn't see like the S2 [or whatever] for $80.  Then I saw the Surge some time later and said, 'Holy Mother; I've GOTTA get me one of those!'.   :D
...nothing in his pockets but knives and lint...

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 01:00:10 AM
I would get a Skinth, but I never use sheaths. :(
Leatherman

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 01:02:24 AM
+1 I edc a skinith to work everyday.  They are well worth investing in
Defend the Hive!!!

ie Offline jonon9

Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 02:21:03 AM
Welcome.  The Skinths are great.  I think I've got a Magnum, which I like.  So, those are really good.

I've also used the LM molle sheaths too.  It just depends.  If you're like me, you want a place where you can put various hack saw blades with, say the driver extension.  Oh, and the removable bit driver.  Er, and the saw and the file.  That's what I look for, but then I tend to kitchen sink things, generally speaking.

How do you like the Surge?  That's how I entered Leathermandom.  It is an awesome tool.  I'd always checked out the Juice line, as I'd see them at Target over the years, but couldn't see like the S2 [or whatever] for $80.  Then I saw the Surge some time later and said, 'Holy Mother; I've GOTTA get me one of those!'.   :D

To be honest from looking and reading at reviews the New Surge just caught my eye but I wanted the one with the replaceable wire
cutters. Iv actually ordered it from the US I'm living in Ireland and I still saved myself €30 ($40) and that includes paying customs not bad I say.

Once I got it in my hand it made the cheap multitool feel like crap it really did, just wasn't super impressed with the sheath it came with don't get me wrong its a fine sheath and will do its job its just the surge cost me €120 ($161) Irish price is €150 So I'm in the market for a premium sheath as the surge deserves it.

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 03:40:49 AM

To be honest from looking and reading at reviews the New Surge just caught my eye but I wanted the one with the replaceable wire
cutters. Iv actually ordered it from the US I'm living in Ireland and I still saved myself €30 ($40) and that includes paying customs not bad I say.

Once I got it in my hand it made the cheap multitool feel like crap it really did, just wasn't super impressed with the sheath it came with don't get me wrong its a fine sheath and will do its job its just the surge cost me €120 ($161) Irish price is €150 So I'm in the market for a premium sheath as the surge deserves it.

Then you should enter this Give away  Here   a $1.00 donation gets you entered, and there will be 8 Gift cards given away
If I can help, let me know 

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 04:03:52 AM
Who's the member here that started the Skinth sheaths? I didn't know they were a member. I've been eyeing one up for a while... just haven't made the leap yet as I'm not sure how I'd feel about carrying a large sheath... mostly because I really don't like my big Leatherman Charge one.

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 04:05:21 AM
Who's the member here that started the Skinth sheaths? I didn't know they were a member. I've been eyeing one up for a while... just haven't made the leap yet as I'm not sure how I'd feel about carrying a large sheath... mostly because I really don't like my big Leatherman Charge one.

Metropolicity
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 06:57:06 AM

If you don't like large sheaths, go for one of the Skinth Shield series... an L-Shield can fit your Charge plus plenty of extras, and will feel smaller on your belt than the LM Charge sheath. :tu:

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 07:48:51 AM

If you don't like large sheaths, go for one of the Skinth Shield series... an L-Shield can fit your Charge plus plenty of extras, and will feel smaller on your belt than the LM Charge sheath. :tu:

You reckon it'll feel smaller than the charge one? They look pretty big...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 08:04:36 AM
I dont know what model mine is  :think:.  It actually is pretty compact as is the idea behind them.  Skinny Sheath = Skinth.  Mine hold a lot of stuff and is still pretty compact on my belt.  It is basically the same size height and width as a LM nylon sheath but oddly more compact if that makes sense.  It it also better built, my LM nylon sheath is pretty much falling apart. 

IMG_4123.jpg
* IMG_4123.jpg (Filesize: 210.12 KB)
IMG_4122.jpg
* IMG_4122.jpg (Filesize: 102.69 KB)
IMG_4126.JPG
* IMG_4126.JPG (Filesize: 263.83 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: July 25, 2014, 09:13:33 AM

Me too,i carry maxpedition organizers in my backpack and would carry a pouch if not for our uk laws as see pouches as advertisement to what im carrying legal or not  :-\ i would carry the rebar in its old school leather pouch but sadly cant  :-\

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: July 25, 2014, 12:06:57 PM

Me too,i carry maxpedition organizers in my backpack and would carry a pouch if not for our uk laws as see pouches as advertisement to what im carrying legal or not  :-\ i would carry the rebar in its old school leather pouch but sadly cant  :-\

Funny thing is Paul,most folks think there's a mobile phone in my pouch :shrug:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: July 25, 2014, 02:24:22 PM

Funny thing is Paul,most folks think there's a mobile phone in my pouch :shrug:

Hmm food for thought john  :tu: i would like a skinth and as all the mt's i own now can fit in the rebars pouch i know the size i need  :salute: right off to check skinths out and its all kirkys fault  :ahhh 

de Offline funni

Reply #28 on: July 25, 2014, 09:36:21 PM
I have used a Maxpedition Single Sheath for my Wave. It´s adjustable and should fit for a Surge, too.
Unfortunately, I don´t have a Surge to try.
The Maxpedition is very rugged and allows vertical and horizontal carry.

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: July 27, 2014, 11:23:30 AM
I don't own any Maxpedition gear, I use the Genuine Leatherman Molle Steaths, Coyote Tan 4.5" for my Super Tool 300, and a Black 4" for my BO Wave. There's a pocket for your bit kit in the front which keeps everything together nicely, the Velcro is very secure and you don't need spend more $$$ those Maxpedition Tac Ties to attach it to webbing as leatherman Molle sheaths have the ties built in. Vertical and Horizontal attachment is also possible for belt carry.
darren

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD