Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New knife is a knock off but it's pretty darn nice IMO

Aloha · 30 · 2461

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
I ordered this Ganzo G710 ( Benchmade Rift knockoff ) online for $22 ish after looking at it for a while.  I like the reviews and some of the feedback this knife was getting.  I still need some time with it but so far this knife hasn't let me down and has been a pleasure to have.  It opens buttery smooth and the G10 while pretty aggressive in my hand is fine.  The axis style lock takes some getting used to honestly but is neat and I am getting along with it as well.  I will carry this knife for a till the end of the month then give it a proper review.   
IMG_4350.jpg
* IMG_4350.jpg (Filesize: 224.12 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Re: New knife is a knock off but it's pretty darn nice IMO
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 12:58:49 AM
I ordered this Ganzo G710 ( Benchmade Rift knockoff ) online for $22 ish after looking at it for a while.  I like the reviews and some of the feedback this knife was getting.  I still need some time with it but so far this knife hasn't let me down and has been a pleasure to have.  It opens buttery smooth and the G10 while pretty aggressive in my hand is fine.  The axis style lock takes some getting used to honestly but is neat and I am getting along with it as well.  I will carry this knife for a till the end of the month then give it a proper review.   

I recognize that paracord   :ahhh    :rofl:
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 01:01:59 AM

I recognize that paracord   :ahhh    :rofl:

Yup I was saving it for something special.  I tend to go all green or red so I've wanted to use it on something and this was the perfect opportunity. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 01:14:19 AM
The G710 is actually a pretty good knife for the $$.  Personally I prefer the G704 though.  That one gets a good amount of use from me.  704's at the bottom.  Very solid, takes and keeps a decent edge, and has a great clip.

There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 01:26:06 AM
The G710 is actually a pretty good knife for the $$.  Personally I prefer the G704 though.  That one gets a good amount of use from me.  704's at the bottom.  Very solid, takes and keeps a decent edge, and has a great clip.

That is a great looking knife.  I saw that and really had a hard time deciding between these chinese knives.  I also got an Enlan EL 04 with micarta handles but I haven't had any time with it.  The axis style lock is super stiff but I've seen vids on how to fix so I will soon enough.  The 710 is a beast and has proven itself so far.  I need just a bit more time with it but so far I am digging it. 
Esse Quam Videri

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines
Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 06:32:53 PM
Looks really nice. There are some Chinese knives that worth the money. I was wondering how good Ganzo are, I will wait the review.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 08:01:08 PM
Looks really nice. There are some Chinese knives that worth the money. I was wondering how good Ganzo are, I will wait the review.
I like the Ganzos I have.  I've got a decent-sized collection of Chinese folders branded as such, and I do like them.  Nothing special but certainly not junk.  There is a thread I did about them here somewhere.  I'm on my phone or I'd find it and link to it....
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 02:41:05 PM
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 02:42:56 PM by Teofilo »

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 02:52:20 PM
Another 704, lovely. :tu: Think I'll carry mine tomorrow.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 03:04:57 PM
Teofilo what is the model number of the top knife?  It looks like a Mikkel Willumsen clone. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 10:21:22 PM
Found my Chinese folder thread.  It's a bit out of date though, several other models have come into the family since this was posted.....

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 10:25:51 PM
Teofilo what is the model number of the top knife?  It looks like a Mikkel Willumsen clone.

It's a 702 tactical knife, Aloha. It has a  window breaker and the handles are made of aluminum.

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 10:40:30 PM
Found my Chinese folder thread.  It's a bit out of date though, several other models have come into the family since this was posted.....

Very nice collection of Chinese folders, jerseydevil! :t
Among the off brand knives, this enlan is my most used.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 10:47:31 PM

Great read JD  :tu:.  I guess I just didn't have enough info on what Chinese knife to buy.  I'm really stoked on what I did get and I can see picking up a dozen couple, a COUPLE more. 

It's a 702 tactical knife, Aloha. It has a  window breaker and the handles are made of aluminum.

Thank you.  I also have the knife last shown but it hasn't seen any pocket time yet.  The locks are very stiff, I love the Micarta feel. 
Esse Quam Videri

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines
Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 12:05:07 AM

Good thread.  Now I whant some of those.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 12:21:15 AM
I am very pleased with the what I bought.  I also trust DKS and JD's recommendations in that thread.  It's not just about the money spent ( which is not much ) more than the utility and value for the price.   
Esse Quam Videri

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 07:31:05 AM
I would not trust those two.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 07:38:03 AM
I would not trust those two.

^^^
 :rofl:

I really like the Spydie clone in your pictures, it's the Navy 607.  Hows that thing holding up?     
Esse Quam Videri

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 07:49:07 AM
In all honesty the only two I carry/use are the 763 and the H02. They are both tough. I have also gifted a variety of similar knives and had no complaints. The rest I just play with and they seem fine but  I have not really tested them.
check out exduct by the way as they have just gotten some new nice looking models in.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Chain Gang

Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 03:04:19 AM
I also have the G710 and for the money you can not beat it.I have enough faith in it to EDC.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 06:18:20 AM
I finally had to do a little touch up and WOW what an edge.  I have no arm hair between this and my Swisstools blade.  A few passes on ceramic rods and my Ganzo is razor sharp.  I am more impressed with each day. 
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 06:24:48 AM
I'm looking forward to the review.  :popcorn:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 03:22:05 PM
See what you made me do, Mr. Aloha?  I brought out the big boy today, the Enlan EL08.  The F&F on this sucker is amazing considering its cost.  Solid, big, great knife. :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 04:35:19 PM
Thats a great looking knife.  A couple more days of carry time and I will be able to give my thoughts.  I have used this knife for all my normal jobs and it has not let me down. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: September 17, 2014, 11:22:12 PM
Since my last post I've carried this knife on and off since getting it.  Its still as buttery smooth as when I first got it.  I had never had knife locks other than back, frame, or liner so the "axis" locks took a bit to get used to.  I can report that after using this knife I can see what all the fuss is about regarding them. 

Pros

"Axis" locks.
I have not had the chance to own a Benchmade but these locks are fantastic.  I feel they a safe lock since having to using the thumb and forefinger to release the blade means your fingers are out of the way.

The lock also allows for more advanced opening and closing.  Pull the locks back and whip the blade open and just the opposite to close the knife.  I never have to touch the blade. 

G10 Scales
Though these scales are thick and aggressive I personally find them comfortable.  I enjoy the positive grip afforded when my hands are wet or sweaty.  I also appreciate the feel in pocket when this knife is sitting there. 

Blade Shape
Reverse Tanto is such a great blade shape IMO, it offers tip strength and enough belly for my cutting chores.  I like how thick the blade is and with the hollow grind it performs as a good slicer.

Price
440c steel, G10 scales, and the fit and finish to boot I have nothing but good things to say.  Many talk about a beater knife and I'm never sure what that means.  I dont have beater knives because I dont want to be using a knife that I feel isn't up to my tasks for any price.
At $22 ish for this knife I feel its a blue collar knife that relishes the work its given.

Cons

If I break the lock springs where would I get I'd get replacements?

My blade has become off centered by just a bit and I cannot seem to be able to recenter it. 

It seems many knives suffer from soft screws that hold the scales on and this is no exception.

Summary

At $22 this knife has performed very well for me.  The edge has been razor sharp with just minor touch ups and the scales have held up very well.  I have zero problems with the "axis" locks nor with anything other than the blade becoming off center. 

If I had to buy this knife again I would in a heart beat.  This knife is a well executed knock off of the Benchmade Rift and while I have never held or used the Rift the Rift would have to be spectacular to make me spend that kind of money.  I would suggest this knife for someone who is not opposed to a large/heavy knife.  It would make a great everyday hard use knife and I can't imaging not getting your moneys worth. 

IMG_5118.jpg
* IMG_5118.jpg (Filesize: 244.04 KB)
IMG_5117.jpg
* IMG_5117.jpg (Filesize: 244.25 KB)
IMG_5116.jpg
* IMG_5116.jpg (Filesize: 284.63 KB)
IMG_5115.jpg
* IMG_5115.jpg (Filesize: 296.39 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #25 on: September 17, 2014, 11:46:27 PM
I'm glad it performed so well and hope you get many years of use out of it. :cheers:

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: September 18, 2014, 06:09:08 AM
Glad you're happy.  If you break the lock spring you can actually make a new one out of a guitar string.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: September 18, 2014, 06:43:22 AM
Glad you're happy.  If you break the lock spring you can actually make a new one out of a guitar string.

Thats great thank you. 

I'm glad it performed so well and hope you get many years of use out of it. :cheers:

I'm sure this knife will continue to make the "cut" for work duties for some time. 
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: September 18, 2014, 09:20:31 AM
Glad to see after more than month of use, you still like this solid work horse.  For 20-30 dollars, with all those features and some what decent quality, this one has really good price/performance ratio.  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: September 18, 2014, 04:30:35 PM
Glad to see after more than month of use, you still like this solid work horse.  For 20-30 dollars, with all those features and some what decent quality, this one has really good price/performance ratio.  :tu:

Perfectly said.  I had looked at many reviews prior to buying this knife and almost everyone was praising it.  I believe you said exactly what every including myself has discovered. 

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD