Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I reach for a new tool but end up with my same ole same.

Aloha · 11 · 1447

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
How many of you have enough tools to try a new one every day of the week?  I could go 2 months at least but I keep reaching for the same tool/s every time.  In honor of Travis I decided to carry my Swisstool this month and while that is easy enough I tired last month to carry something other than my Surge for work.  I guess I found my sweet spot for work ( Surge or Swisstool ) and that's that.  I find it interesting members who rotate tools because even with my off day I like my Wave or Spirit.  I've tried other tools they just don't do it for me.

I'll continue to carry the Swisstool till months end then go back to my Surge.  I've found my sweet spot in the Surge.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Re: I reach for a new tool but end up with my same ole same.
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 01:19:51 AM
I carry Charge or Wave everyday  (I talk about switching it up, but even when I do, it is for a day only.)

I carry my Cyber-Yeoman everyday, I might roll something else in, but only for a day, and back to the Cyber-Yeoman.

I do have a piece of mind knowing there is a Surge in a MOLLE sheath on my bag,  and a SwissChamp in the Car!
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 01:30:59 AM
Knives I have no problem trying out a new one and or giving a neglected one some pocket time.  My MT tho I like what I like I guess.  Surge or Swisstool for work and Wave or Spirit for off days.  I guess I know these tools and what they are capable of so no need to "try" anything else.  This has nothing to do with buying and lusting however  :whistle: 
Esse Quam Videri

Offline BobG

Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 02:39:06 AM
Yeah, that's how I am with the ST300. Nothing else feels the same for me. This thing just does everything I need and on those rare occasions it doesn't, I need to get the tool bag out of the Jeep and get something much stronger or more specialized.
Bob

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 03:06:44 AM
I do have a fair amount of MTs, but modest compared to many others.  I could try a different one each day of the week if I wanted, and there was my infamous rotational schedule a while back :whistle:  Six weeks of trying to keep straight which tool I was supposed to carry was a bit much.  Now I just carry whatever MT suits my fancy each day.  Part of it used to rotate around the SAKs I had and their tool loadouts, but now that I carry the Rogueneer pretty much exclusively, there's nothing binding me to any particular MT. 

At this point, I'm pretty taken to carrying the ReCharge TTi, OG-Supertool, BORebar and OG-Wave.  For just kicking around the home, my MT of choice is usually the PST.  I guess I can't claim that I've found any one "sweet spot" MT in particular, but it's limited to those few I mentioned. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 03:15:13 AM
I've got a decent sized collection here, but the ones that see regular use are my MP400, MP600, and PSTII, along with the Deluxe Tinker (lately a whole lot), Evo16, SI, Tinker, and Swisschamp.  Others sneak in from time to time, but those are my defaults, I guess you could say.  When in doubt, MP600 and Tinker.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 03:19:57 AM
 :facepalm:       :pok:   you did this!!!

SEE WHAT YOU DID!!!
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 07:16:26 AM
The pro scout is my go too work MT, I tend to switch up my sak's in my Edc but seems like all my other MT don't really get play.

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 07:50:53 AM
Seems we have all come here looking for the "perfect" tool and while some have found theirs other like me have found their sweet spot.  I have some great tools BUT the Wave was so good that I knew the Surge would be even better and it didnt disappoint. I really like my Swisstool as well so that makes the cut from time to time.  As for SAKs I tend to go with my Swisschamp mostly then Explorer.   I guess this is a good thing and why I dont mind getting old tools since they more than likely wont ever be put to use.  I do have a occasional play with my JPST just because. 
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 11:38:40 AM
I find giving different SAKs a go is particularly hard. I carry a Leatherman, but always have my CT41 riding along in my backpack (a Leatherman doesn't have toothpicks, tweezers, pins, sometimes no saw and sometimes no scissors etc). So in a backpack, being a bigger SAK isn't a hindrance.

So every time I think "I might take X today"... I always end up swapping it back with the CT41 because it's no advantage to take a smaller one.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 03:48:43 PM
I feel the same way about my Swisschamp.  I like my Explorer but...........  Swisschamp into pocket. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD