Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Watkins glen trip

Nhoj · 15 · 1564

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Watkins glen trip
on: July 23, 2014, 09:20:47 PM
Every summer I like to go on camping trips to at least 4 NY state parks plus the Adirondacks. I recently went to Watkins glen and I'm bored so I'll tell about it. Watkins glen is located on Seneca lake, one of the finger lakes. Any wine lovers should know this region; there are so many vineyards the economy of many towns rely solely on wine. Watkins glen state park is a narrow gorge with 19 waterfalls falling through it. What's interesting is that the trail passes three of them by going behind the waterfall. Unfortunately there are only a few pictures on my phone with almost all on my camera; here are some phone pictures.

The first waterfall in the park (mostof the waterfall is not visible in this picture)
This waterfall is at the very start of the gorge. What is interesting is to enter the gorge and get to the bridge pictured, you ascend through a tunnel on a spiral staircase.

This waterfall you walk behind as you can see in this picture. Here is behind it.

These waterfalls are much smaller than many I visit (Shown below, the one in my profile picture is 219 feet tall)
 With 19 of them though it's a beautiful hike for the entire trail. After hiking the gorge I visited a nearby waterfall 5 minutes down the road.

This waterfall is called shequaga falls. What's interesting is that people's yards back directly up to it, in fact this picture was taken by me standing in someone's backyard. Next I visited Sugar Hill Fire Tower. The fire tower was closed in the mid 80's due to budget cuts along with the rest of NY state's fire towers. Fortunately you are allowed to walk to the top but the cabin is locked. What's interesting is that all the fire towers in NY are actually the towers for agricultural windmills with a wooden cabin on top. This means that the cabins are much smaller than purpose built fire towers in the rest of the US.

It was sunny when I got there but clouds soon rolled in.

Here is me looking up while climbing.

Looking down while climbing. Some steps have begun to rot and make unsettling noises when one steps on them.

Finally I reached the top

Had to bring my wenger :)

And my wave :)

Upon reaching the ground (a big relief as the wind picked up and the tower began swaying) I started talking to a ranger. Even though the cabin at the top of the tower is closed to the public I convinced her to let me in. I'm not afraid of heights but the short railings and swaying of the tower made my heart speed up. The ranger however who had been up hundreds of times practically ran up and down the stairs she was so unafraid.

The cabin at the top

A person looking tiny below

The table in the middle practically takes up the entire room. You can see graffiti from before they had the cabin locked or when people have broken in.

After that I hiked to a resevoir further upstream in the creek that runs through the gorge. Here I fly fished trying to target largemouth bass. Unfortunately I couldn't catch any so I resorted to catching smaller fish such as rock bass and perch. ( I also used my skeletool to disgorge the fish hooks :wink: )

Overall I had a really fun trip. Watkins glen is a popular park but I was able to go to the fire tower which is largely unknown, and hike to the secluded lake. And of course I used my mulitools a lot. I also bought a cheap knife from the gift shop... because there is always room for more knives!

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 09:29:46 PM by Nhoj »

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Watkins glen trip
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 09:44:33 PM
Thank you for sharing John!

All I knew of Watkins Glen is the race track but that was just :sa:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 09:51:22 PM

Same here, I had no idea that all existed!!  Beautiful shots!!!  :tu:

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Watkins glen trip
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 10:03:25 PM

Same here, I had no idea that all existed!!  Beautiful shots!!!  :tu:
I have hundreds of pictures on my camera that I unfortunately can't share right now. I also visited Seneca Lake which I couldn't show here for lack of pictures. It's about a minute away from the park.

(Internet photo)

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 10:09:06 PM

Now you've seen what the racetrack is named after. :)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 02:21:49 AM
Thanks for sharing. Love the photos. Looks like a beautiful place. I do have many fond memories of upper New York when I was very young.
We spent a few summers at Lake Placid and around there. Most of my memories of upper New York are from now defunct family amusement parks like Frontier Town in North Hudson NY, Story Town in Queensbury NY, Gaslight Village in Lake George NY, House of 1000 animals in Lake Placid NY, and Santa's Workshop also in Lake Placid. But then there were plenty of themed amusement parks back in the 70s to keep a young kid enchanted. I fear most of those places are long gone.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 02:35:58 AM

Thanks for sharing. Love the photos. Looks like a beautiful place. I do have many fond memories of upper New York when I was very young.
We spent a few summers at Lake Placid and around there. Most of my memories of upper New York are from now defunct family amusement parks like Frontier Town in North Hudson NY, Story Town in Queensbury NY, Gaslight Village in Lake George NY, House of 1000 animals in Lake Placid NY, and Santa's Workshop also in Lake Placid. But then there were plenty of themed amusement parks back in the 70s to keep a young kid enchanted. I fear most of those places are long gone.
I love Lake Placid! And don't worry I just drove by santa's workshop recently, it's still there. I find it funny in a way because Santa's workshop was actually the only family vacation my grandfather ever went on.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 02:48:06 AM
 :)
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Hyatt181

Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 02:56:46 AM
Next time I go to the race track I'll have to check out the park looks awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like bowls, they contain chaos.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 03:25:39 AM
Wow. Thanks for sharing. You should get bored more often.

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 04:21:53 AM
very nice!  I would love to go there
If I can help, let me know 

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 08:48:46 AM
Real nice place!
Great pics!
Thanks for sharing

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 11:56:54 AM
I'd love to traipse around that park :)

Great pics :tu:

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 02:26:43 PM
Watkins Glen looks fantastic mate. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 12:59:02 AM
Looks like a cool trip, John. Thanks for sharing. :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24